As a hobby, I like to translate manga. It helps me keep my Japanese
in practice. If you are interested in using manga for language
learning, drop me an email - everthing I've translated is availabled in
parallel Japanese / English versions.
- 2012/04/15 (a bit later) I have Hells Angels Volume 1 and Hells Angels Volume 2 downloads in torrent form up now. I was sure that I had translated volume 3, but I can only find the first chapter of it. If you have more of what I translated than I do, please drop me an email (fugu at this domain.)
- 2012/04/15 I have been doing a bit more translation (Dogs: Bullets and Carnage mostly) and decided that I want to clean up this website a bit. Looking around, it is in terrible shape. Links are dead, torrents aren't seeded. I'll try to fix some of that up. Looking through old data, I found out that I have actually lost some translations over time. So that really is unfortunate. Still, I'll do my best to clean up and make clear download links (that are seeded) for what I can recover and do have.
- 2011/07/03 Huh, I've been remiss in updating this page. Try the forums for more up-to-date info.
- 2009/10/12 Pretty cool site looking at an amazingly comprehensive history of fan translation: Inside Scanlation. I'm really impressed with how in-depth the coverage and history is. Man, the internet is full of all sorts of stuff. If you have some spare time and any sort of interest, check it out. There is also a short interview with me. Which reminds me, October 16th, 2001 will be the 8th anniversary of MangaTranslation.com. I guess I should get off my butt and try to get a translation of something out to celebrate.
- 2009/09/23 Not dead yet. Haven't had time for translating recently, but planning to get back into the game soonish.
- 2007/12/30 Dogs: Bullets and Carnage Chapter 25 translation released.
- 2007/11/24 I created one big torrent for Dogs: Bullets and Carnage Chapters 1-24
- 2007/11/03 Released Dogs: Bullets and Carnage chapters 22 and 23. (Link to Rapidshare temporarily - I will put up a new torrent with chapters 1-23 eventually.)
- 2007/08/26 Released Dogs: Bulets & Carnage chapter 21 and Badou Side Story. Thanks to saikusa for the Badou Side Story scans.
- 2007/07/01 Released Vulgar Ghost Daydream volume 9 translation. Added volume 9 character page, updated list of all characters with new portraits for many characters and all volume 9 characters.
- 2007/05/24 Released Dogs: Bullets & Carnage chapters 16 to 20.
- 2007/02/03 Released Dogs: Bullets and Carnage Chapter 14 and 15 translation.
- 2006/12/31 Updated all Tenjo Tenge Character pages through volume 16. All of them use sortable tables now.
- 2006/12/31 Updated torrent to include two missing English translation pages (47 and 108) and also fixed broken links in the README.html
- 2006/12/26 Released Volume 8 of Vulgar Ghost Daydream
- 2006/12/11 Completely deleted website. Restored from backup on December 8th. Whew!
- 2006/11/19 Released Dogs: Bullets and Carnage Chapter 13 translation.
- 2006/10/08 Released Dogs: Bullets and Carnage Chapters 10-12.
- 2006/09/16 Consolidated Vulgar Ghost Daydream torrents into a seven volume pack, zipped by chapter or volume. Dogs: Bullets and Carnage Chapters 1 through 9. Dogs: Bullets and Carnage Chapter 9.
- 2006/04/14 Released Dogs: Bullets & Carnage chapter 8 Thanks to chemiberry for the scans.
- 2006/02/18 Released Dogs: Bullets & Carnage chapter 7 Thanks to chemiberry for the scans.
- 2006/01/22 Dogs: Bullets & Carnage Chapters 1-6 torrent. Should fix problems people have had with Chapter 6 download on certain clients.
- 2006/01/17 Dogs: Bullets & Carnage Chapter 6: Cowardly and Proud released. Thanks to Xing for the scans.
- 2005/11/10. Vulgar Ghost Daydream Volume 7 translation released
- 2005/10/05. Dogs: Bullets & Carnage chapter 5 Blade & Bullet released.
- 2005/10/30. Chapters 2 and 3 of Hells Angels have been released over at TamaScans.net.
- 2005/10/24. I've translated the Tenjo Tenge Kurei Special from the November Ultra Jump Issue. Pretty funny stuff.
- 2005/10/19 Dogs: Bullets & Carnage Chapter 4: Smack & Down translation released via BitTorrent.
- 2005/10/16 Web page re-design. Basically I just made some stuff in CSS, and added some info on project status. Also, I added links to Hells Angels. I am going to think about moving this site over to a CMS system, but it will probably stay like this for a while.
- 2005/09/08 Dogs: Bullets and Carnage Chapters 2 and 3 translations released via BitTorrent. First release from Japan.
- 2005/05/xx At some point when I wasn't paying close attention, Omanga and Kotonoha put out the complete Smuggler manga that I helped them translated. In other news, I've moved away from New York.
- 2005/04/13 Kotonoha, Omanga, and MangaTranslation.com team up to bring you the second chapter of Smuggler, and Vorbis, the editor at Omanga, has done a very nice re-edited version of Chapter 1 of Smuggler.
- 2005/03/07 Kotonoha has released Smuggler chapter 1, a dark action/drama piece about a regular joe who falls into the dark underworld of Japan. You can pick up a torrent here or get further information from Kotonoha here. I translated the first chapter, and Kotonoha did all the heavy lifting (scanning, cleaning, editing, distribution.)
- 2005/02/09 I turned the gallery off pretty much for good. There is a link to Moyism's Tenjo Tenge gallery, and you can still use the MangaTranslation.com gallery on the old server but that might go away in a few months.
I have set up a few torrent links to make it easier to find some of the harder-to-find stuff. Naked Star: West Side Street (a one-shot from the Naked Star compilation), Naked Star: S-Song for Sapphire Star (another one-shot from the Naked Star compilation), and the December 2004 TJTG "Omake" chapter starring Dougen, which I doubt will ever make it over here. Finally, a torrent of all the capcom-gals chapters that I've translated to date.
- 2004/12/30 The CPU fan on fugu.cs.columbia.edu died, and took down mangatranslation.com with it. I'll be moving mangatranslation.com over to a Virtual Private Linux server at Rimuhosting.com, so things should be back up shortly. Since I have to re-import the forum and gallery stuff, it might take a day or two.
- 2004/10/19 I've been busy, but here is a short one-off Oh! Great sci-fi manga from Naked Star or Shyueisha's Ultra Jump MegaMix volume 1: S-song for Sapphire Star. Get it quick; it's a torrent, and I don't know how long I will seed it. And listen to Let's talk about spaceships by Say Hi To Your Mom while you read. --fugu
- 2004/08/17 Tenjo Tenge Ultra Jump Special released.
- 2004/07/01 Dogs Hardcore Twins short released. A joint with Furinkazan.
- 2004/06/25 Tenjo Tenge Chapter 75 raws + translations released.
- DC Comics licenses Tenjo Tenge (among others) to launch their CMX imprint. I have removed my Tenjo Tenge image edit translations from the web, but will keep up my text only translations (and continue those) unless I am asked not to.
- 2004/06/01 Released Kagome Kagome volume 3. That completes the Kagome Kagome series.
I'm running a discussion board on my server, so
there are no ads. Enjoy, and please give me some feedback!
MangaTranslation.com discussion board.
Links to some other manga translation sites and other general stuff that I enjoy.
- Manga sites
- Personal Sites
Listed approximately in order of how interested in translating them I am.
- Miwa Shirow's Dogs: Bullets & Carnage. About three months behind.
- Hiromoto Sin-ichi's Hells Angels, joint with Tama-chan Scans. Chapters 1-13 have been translated. I think I have new scans around here somewhere? I need to check what is up with this. Or did I finish this thing? I don't remember. Also, it was supposed to have been animated at some point. I should track that down.
- Vulgar Ghost Daydream. Waiting on good scans of volume 9. Which I might have. Also, volume 10, the final one, is out now.
- Oh! Great's Tenjo Tenge. I am like, 6 months behind. I translate and release text translations only. If you want the actual comic, please buy it from DC's CMX line.
- Great Teacher Onidzuka. I translated the first 11 volumes, then it was licensed by TokyoPop.
- GetBackers. I translated the first two volumes or so with Anissa. It was licensed by TokyoPop as well.