Last Names

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

DemonNeedle
Kouhai
Kouhai

Last Names

Post by DemonNeedle »

Nagi: refers to the snake (Naga) in Hinduism, which are supposed to be evil god like creatures that are the enemies of the Garuda, which is a bird-like creature

Takayanagi: Taka, which means A hawk or falcon, but also means a number. Ya is the number eight in japanese. Nagi like before, refers to the snake again. So, the most logical meaning of his last name means the Eight Headed snake.

Natsume: Its some type of tree, forgot the actual name of the tree though, which is probably why Maya can use wood ki.

Makihara: I think this is a pun off of Bob. Maki means volume, like in music, while Hara can mean "moor". However, Ma means space/time/ purity. Ki, as we all know is life force, breath, etc. Hara can also refer to the Dantian in martial arts where all of the Ki is supposed to be stored in.

Kago: Divine protection, a cage, or a mistake. The divine protection fits with Souhaku's buddhist/taoist powers. I also took a cage into assumption because he is keeping his ultimate warrior in a "cage", restraining him; having control over his ultimate warrior until he feels the time is right. A mistake because he is probably going to make a mistake about something in the future.

Tawara: Straw Bag.....yeah.....

Anyways, I was bored and needed something to do to fill up my TenTen withdrawl, waiting for 105 to come out. Since most mangas always gives away the character based on names, especially their last names, I just did a little research on each of the main guys last names. From what is shows, it sounds like the Nagi could possibly be the opposite of masataka or mitsuomi as taka means a hawk or falcon, which might refer to the Garuda. Also, it could mean that the Takayanagi's are the descendents of the Orochi (Eight Snakes). Also, Bob name could be really just be a pun or he could possibly have a much deeper, more meaningful role in the whole story than just being the strong, black guy. Let me know what you guys think.
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

Oh Great Has stated that he used many myths as influence for Ten Ten including the Kojiki and the slaying of Yamata no Orochi by Susanoo. And the Kusanagi sword in his tail(interestingly Reiki tells Aya she will be the sword for the one who will kill Souhaku) . Yeah so that's where all their names come from. BTW I thought natsume meant jujube or tea caddy? Or was jujube the tree you're talking about?[/i]
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Re: Last Names

Post by FuguTabetai »

DemonNeedle wrote: Takayanagi: Taka, which means A hawk or falcon, but also means a number. Ya is the number eight in japanese. Nagi like before, refers to the snake again. So, the most logical meaning of his last name means the Eight Headed snake.
Taka is 高, or "tall, high" and yanagi is 柳, or "willow". Another type of tree.

Natsume is jujube tree, like kk1 said.

I don't know if we've seen the characters for Bob's last name. Amusingly, 槙 from 槙原 can mean "twig".
DemonNeedle
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by DemonNeedle »

Oh, well maybe you guys are right. I just used the english spelling of the word and took it from there. When I did that, it did in a way fit in with the character as well. But its interesting that most of the Juuken Club's Kanji refer to trees.
Aya_Natsume
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Aya_Natsume »

Natsume also represents summer in Japanese. ^_^
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

Aya_Natsume wrote:Natsume also represents summer in Japanese. ^_^

Uhh that's natsu and it's a different kanji... :?
Aya_Natsume
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Aya_Natsume »

kk1 wrote:
Aya_Natsume wrote:Natsume also represents summer in Japanese. ^_^

Uhh that's natsu and it's a different kanji... :?
Oops its Natsumi= beautiful summer.
Relly Aensland
Yuurei
Yuurei

About Natsume Last Name.

Post by Relly Aensland »

TEA: In Japan, the Natsume has given its name to a style of "Tea Caddy" used in the "Japanese Tea Ceremony".

WOOD: In Korea, the woods is use to make the body of the "taepyeongso", a double-reed wind strument.

FRUIT: The Jujube has been cultivated for over 4,000 years for its edible fruit, and over 400 cultivars have been selected.

TREES: The tree tolerates a wide range of temperatures and rainfall, though it requires hot summers and sufficient water for acceptable fruiting. Unlike most of the other species in the genus, it tolerates fairly cold winters, surviving temperatures down to about -15°c. This enables the JUJUBE to grow in desert habitats, provided there in access to underground water through the summer. Virtualy no temperatures seems to be too high in summertime.
:lol: - Your Best Friend Ever - :lol: