References

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

References

Post by Agent_Wax »

Found on the web:

Model for Suko Furio (vol. 7):

www.prosper-inc.com/futa/karate/jpg/furio2.gif

www.prosper-inc.com/futa/karate/jpg/furio1.jpg

www2.plala.or.jp/ ASKA/furio.jpg

Agent Wax
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Interesting, so it looks like he was a real person also...

fugu
blackkenshi
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by blackkenshi »

Ok im confused. Whos Suko Furio?
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Agent_Wax, do you know what this guy's name really is? It is interesting information to add to the Character list...
MetalGravy
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by MetalGravy »

I think that they're talking about the guys (the captains from the 3 strongest clubs) that Mitsuomi took on in the election tourny during the flashback arc. One looked kind of like Bruce Lee, and I guess the others were meant to look like real martial artists also.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

MetalGravy wrote:I think that they're talking about the guys (the captains from the 3 strongest clubs) that Mitsuomi took on in the election tourny during the flashback arc. One looked kind of like Bruce Lee, and I guess the others were meant to look like real martial artists also.
The Furio above is a real person. Others in that group were also based on real people.
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

Not sure who he really is. Give me a few days to look into it. I'll see what I can find.
aok
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by aok »

I thought Suko Furio was a parody of Royce Gracie. He kinda looked like Royce and I thought the name was a jab at Royce and the Gracies. :P
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

How does 'Furio' relate to 'Gracie'? :? And the Gracies are Grapplers. As you can see from the photos, the manga charater's appearance is modeled after the real guy. In addition, the katakana rendering of his name is 'FuranshiSUKO FURIO'.
aok
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by aok »

Before seeing this real Furio guy, I honestly thought it was Royce Gracie and that they just didn't want to make it too obvious. I thought "Suko" was a jab at him (like he sucks although he doesn't really suck) and "Furio" as in furious because the Gracies have the stereotype of always getting upset with the refs and judges decisions and whining and stuff.

Oh Great! definitely follows the MMA scene because in the manga later on he has a reference to Kevin Randleman, who's definitely a lesser name than the Gracies and Kazushi Sakuraba.

Also, for Sak's discipline in the anime, they said it was Turkish or Mongolian Wrestling or something like that which was obviously not true to life either.
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

OK, yeah, I get your point now. Sorry. And it is mentioned in the manga that the Sakuraba clone was the president of the Mongolian Wrestling Club, Mongolian Wrestling being a popular grappling style in, well, Mongolia...
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Agent_Wax wrote:And it is mentioned in the manga that the Sakuraba clone was the president of the Mongolian Wrestling Club, Mongolian Wrestling being a popular grappling style in, well, Mongolia...
Afghan Wrestling Club actually. I know because I checked it the other day when I put it on the character list. :)