Chapters 70-74

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Chapters 70-74

Post by pv82 »

Just thought Id open up the flood gates. We have been discussing the chapters on an untranslated (for some of us) version. SO waht do you think of the new chatpers. Thoughts, opinions??? I noticed one thing, Masataka went to great lenghts to get into the Juk. (Sneaks in on Maya in the bathroom, what a perv :twisted: )

BTW, Thanks Fugu going ahead and translating the Ultra Jump Fights. They really look great
chumsy
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by chumsy »

funny he isnt even phased by mayas beauty lol only aya.

but anyways its about time they put some focus on masataka i mean hes mitsuumi's brother and part of the takayanagi family thats gotta be important. after 11 volumes he starts to be revealed.
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

chumsy wrote:funny he isnt even phased by mayas beauty lol only aya.
One day he's look at Maya an actually realize (Wow, your acutally a girl :shock: ). I have never seen him even loss a little blood (for his nose) for her. Her has lost more blood on Madoka(mentally).
Here's a question. In that panels when Masataka is trying to join, is he talking to Isuzu.
moyism
Senpai
Senpai

Post by moyism »

Gotta say, 70-74.... good shit. :D

Definite highlights were masataka, aya (wow, she's actually starting to get serious about training), and of course tawara! Good to see the two guys get some "screen time."

I was cracking up on how masataka stalked maya until she let him join. The bathroom scene was great. Also the mental map was hiliarous! "She's naked! She's naked! She's naked! She's naked!..." LOL

It took awhile to realize that parts where masataka goes all introspective and we see what he sees. BTW pv82, I don't ALL the parts where masataka is tyring to join is he talking to Isuzu. Yea, chap 73 page 6 is the only one I think he's talking to Isuzu. All the other flashbacks of him joining he's either talking to the characters or to himself.

My only question right now is the ending part of chap 74. I'm a little confused about what masataka realized when he looked up to the starry night and whatnot. Anyone want to clear this up for me?
Ladron188
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Ladron188 »

I don't know what masataka sees , but it has to be important since at the end of chapter 74 that guy says that masatak is the true warrior...and if I think that means what I want it to mean its gona get a whole lot better since masataka is finally gonna be in the spotlight
:lol:
moyism
Senpai
Senpai

Post by moyism »

Nagi's dad didn't saying masataka was the true warrior. He's just questioning whether or not masataka *could* be.
TW_J
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by TW_J »

something really confused me on the picture before souhaku says

"masataka....the true warrior

what was that giant electical surge on the pic before souhaku made that statement
moyism
Senpai
Senpai

Post by moyism »

that was his control doll/charm of Fu'chien. When Tawara and Masataka defeated and stop him from exploding, they also destroyed the charms on him (in the eyes I think?). Same thing happened w/ modoka (spelling.. too lazy to find her name), just not as big of an electrical spark.
Jokon
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Jokon »

What Masataka realized, is that true strength is having the power to fight so that no one is hurt.

Well, that's not an easy way to understand it, but what happened is that he realized that everything in the world is connected. Since he mentions that they (being pieces of the world) are irreplaceable, that means killing one piece is damaging to everyone.

Therefore, true strength in a fight is being able to defeat your opponent before anyone is harmed. If you think about it, it's similar to what his dad said, but the approach is different.
Jokon
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Jokon »

On another note, does anyone else think that Masataka can 'hear' the resonance similar to the Red Feather clans?
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

Kinda Zipped thru the Chapters Yesterday. Kurei dropped a bombshell *Maybe Mitsumi exists for the F not the other way around. One thing id obvious, Shohaku is using everyone he can. It seems like he has Kabuto Scared of him while Tetsuhito doesn't really seem to care. I think he is more loyal to Ishiyumi than anything else. Hey about fight 74, Is the fight really over. Remeber what Shohaku told Kabuto, kinda sounded like don't come back unless you've done it (The CHip retreival I think). Now would be the Best time for Tetsuhito and Kabuto to attack.
moyism
Senpai
Senpai

Post by moyism »

Jokon wrote:What Masataka realized, is that true strength is having the power to fight so that no one is hurt.

Well, that's not an easy way to understand it, but what happened is that he realized that everything in the world is connected. Since he mentions that they (being pieces of the world) are irreplaceable, that means killing one piece is damaging to everyone.

Therefore, true strength in a fight is being able to defeat your opponent before anyone is harmed. If you think about it, it's similar to what his dad said, but the approach is different.

aaahh.... I see I see. Cool, thanks for the heads up bout that.
solidis1
Doushi
Doushi

Post by solidis1 »

Could someone post chapter 74 here for a day or so? The IRC doesn't work and I don't know how to get it.
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

Downloads page has some site mirroring I think
solidis1
Doushi
Doushi

Post by solidis1 »

How do I find Kenneth's mirror in the nexgear forum? I logged in and all but where on the site are the chapters?
moyism
Senpai
Senpai

Post by moyism »

check the http link thread for the chapters... I posted my link where I've uploaded chap 70-74. ;)
Mataza-kun
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Mataza-kun »

I see... thanks Jokon, you really helped me understand the whole thing. Now it makes sense, seeing also what Souhaku says: "In heaven or earth, there is only one precoius self" or something like that (btw, is that "In heaven or earth" in that sentence the translation of Tenjo Tenge? I'm curious because I haven't still found a true meaning for the title)

Oh and when Takayanagi Dougen says that thing about "I'm not the one who said this, but having strenght means to win without fight", I think he refers to Sun Tzu, which in the Art of War says:
2. Hence to fight and conquer in all your battles is not
supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the
enemy's resistance without fighting.
I just thought it would be interesting to know :)

Last thing: Madoka calls Kabuto Kabu-rin, but what does -rin mean? I know -chan and -kun, but seeing as Kabuto worries a lot about Madoka, is it a nickname for a boyfriend or something like that?
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

"-rin" suffix is just another sign of endearment, very childish, something only kids like Madoka would say.

I think it's a Kansai variation of "-chan", but once again, very childish.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Mataza-kun wrote:Now it makes sense, seeing also what Souhaku says: "In heaven or earth, there is only one precoius self" or something like that (btw, is that "In heaven or earth" in that sentence the translation of Tenjo Tenge? I'm curious because I haven't still found a true meaning for the title)
There is also a non-insignificant chance that what Souhaku says is actually a reference to an old chinese saying, or some old Japanese Buddhist saying. I don't know much about ancient Japanese, so I just translated it as I read it. Basically, there is only one of you, don't fuck up, or I will kill you. And that will suck, because there is only one of you.

Souhaku did not say Tenjo Tenge - the direct translation is just "heave above heaven below", make of it what you will - but it sounds close because he's talking about heaven and earth.
Mataza-kun wrote:Oh and when Takayanagi Dougen says that thing about "I'm not the one who said this, but having strenght means to win without fight", I think he refers to Sun Tzu, which in the Art of War says:
2. Hence to fight and conquer in all your battles is not
supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the
enemy's resistance without fighting.
I just thought it would be interesting to know :)
I thought that might be the case, but my Chinese history is even worse than my Japanese history. Ask me about the history of computer programming sometime though - I'm pretty up on that.
Mataza-kun wrote: Last thing: Madoka calls Kabuto Kabu-rin, but what does -rin mean? I know -chan and -kun, but seeing as Kabuto worries a lot about Madoka, is it a nickname for a boyfriend or something like that?
I put a note about that. Just a very childish "cute" term of endearment.
JBong
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by JBong »

why do i have the feeling that Nagi and Mastaka both are going to be the true warriors and that mitsuomi is going to be the evil. ( i am only saying this because mastaka fights to protect his loved ones and so does Nagi, and they said that a true warrior isnt a person who fights, which i took as a person who protects. even though nagi is still an if case on that)
Everon
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Everon »

Very cool. I wonder if Bob's gonna leave for the enforcement group, after finding that he has potential strength, but Maya hasn't been really helping him with it.

Oh I was just wondering why a panel on chapter 70 was left untranslated? Its the first right panel on page 7.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Everon wrote:Oh I was just wondering why a panel on chapter 70 was left untranslated? Its the first right panel on page 7.
I miss a bubble or two sometimes. It happens.

That particular bubble was "Even though she's holding her own like that, it exhausts her"
User151
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by User151 »

( i am only saying this because mastaka fights to protect his loved ones and so does Nagi, and they said that a true warrior isnt a person who fights, which i took as a person who protects. even though nagi is still an if case on that)
I'd say most anime/manga view of person who wins or "true strength" has always been like this. Kenshin told Yahiko (Sorry I just can't get Kenshin out of my head) to learn Kamiya Katsushin style instead of Hiten Mitsurugi style cos he believes "wanting to become strong to protect others " is a true strength. And that "wanting to become strong to win over others or to kill others" is not a true strength. In that sense, you're right about Souichiro still in the if case.
It is a good day to die
By the way, Maya is my heroine
Tang.
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Tang. »

old chinese saying...

天上天下 唯我獨尊

something like that?
Everon
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Everon »

FuguTabetai wrote:
Everon wrote:Oh I was just wondering why a panel on chapter 70 was left untranslated? Its the first right panel on page 7.
I miss a bubble or two sometimes. It happens.

That particular bubble was "Even though she's holding her own like that, it exhausts her"
Thanks Fugu, you're the greatest.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Tang. wrote:old chinese saying...

天上天下 唯我獨尊

something like that?
No, it is "唯一人我あり 一人のみ尊し" so it is Japanese, not Chinese. But maybe a reference to some well-known Chinese phrase. I don't really know.
Tang.
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Tang. »

yea you can see some of the characters being used.
Isuzu
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Isuzu »

Hmmmm, an interesting new view on Masataka, but I think he only will appear that powerful as long as Nagi isn't there - when he returns, he will kick everybody's ass, I fear.

I like Isuzu's "He who has mastered dance, masters fighting" - that could be taken out of a 70s-Eastern-Jackie-Chan-movie, I love that.

Anyway, Oh! Great shouldn't have shown Isuzu-san in the hospital, eating all those candybars... that gave me a shudder.
Bomb me, please.
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

Isuzu wrote:Anyway, Oh! Great shouldn't have shown Isuzu-san in the hospital, eating all those candybars... that gave me a shudder.
Hey, Long time no see Isuzu. Did this happen in FIght 75? I think by now we know that OH! Great has no problem putting his characters in wierd situation for some comedy relief, Just about every character has had a funny moment. Oh! Great also doesn't mind spoofing other series (DBZ, NAruto) I wonder if he had to pay royalties?
Isuzu
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Isuzu »

pv82 wrote:Hey, Long time no see Isuzu. Did this happen in FIght 75? I think by now we know that OH! Great has no problem putting his characters in wierd situation for some comedy relief, Just about every character has had a funny moment. Oh! Great also doesn't mind spoofing other series (DBZ, NAruto) I wonder if he had to pay royalties?
No fair!

:(
Bomb me, please.
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

OMG shes soo hot :twisted: . Hey thick girls need love too
Isuzu
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Isuzu »

pv82 wrote:OMG shes soo hot :twisted: . Hey thick girls need love too
Yes, they do, but I prefer her slim form. Though, her fat form's always good for a laugh, that's fine, too. At least, she has some flaws you don't see all the time. *g*
Bomb me, please.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

A while ago I was getting about 10-15 referers a day from a site on "Big boned women" and "expansionism" because of the Isuzu stuff in vol5 and the manga.

I thought it was funny anyway.
Isuzu
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Isuzu »

FuguTabetai wrote:A while ago I was getting about 10-15 referers a day from a site on "Big boned women" and "expansionism" because of the Isuzu stuff in vol5 and the manga.

I thought it was funny anyway.

Holy shit, I wonder what those people from that "big boned women"-site were thinking when clicking through the images... :twisted:
Bomb me, please.
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

Isuzu wrote: Holy shit, I wonder what those people from that "big boned women"-site were thinking when clicking through the images... :twisted:
More Cushion for the pushing. :twisted: ? Everyones got thier own taste, Diffrent strokes for diffrent folks
moyism
Senpai
Senpai

Post by moyism »

I saw this in the TT gallery and someone asked for a textless version. This is what I have so far:

hopefully I'll have it done tonight. Er... it looks better in the resized version than the actual one... lol. BTW, props to Mephisto03 who orignally colored the image.

edit: done. Or at least stopped for now. If anyone wants the full version just PM me or I'll add it to the TT image gallery.
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

FuguTabetai wrote:There is also a non-insignificant chance that what Souhaku says is actually a reference to an old chinese saying, or some old Japanese Buddhist saying.
I forgot to share this and I know it's kind of late mentioning it now, but here's what a person had to say with regard to the phrase and the title, "Tenjo Tenge." I think it's interesting.
akubo wrote:Roughly you can translate it to be "Heaven and Earth". It's an ancient Chinese term and has the meaning of "everything in heaven and on Earth". When using it by itself, "Tenjo Tenge" or "Tian Shang Tian Xia" means, "Everything in the known world", in Chinese and Japanese.

Now "Tian Shang Tian Xia Wei Wo Du Zun" is what the Buddha said when he was born. There was a Sutra which stated that when Buddha Sakiyamuni was born, he walked around and proclaimed this phrase before becoming a normal baby. The Chinese translation of what he said turned out to be that phase above, and it meant "In all of the world, I am the master/supreme" or something like that. "Tian Shang Tian Xia" in this sense is used not only to denote the entire world, but the entire Universe.

Now if you know a little about Buddhism, then you know there's no concept of self in Buddhism. However, what the Buddha meant was not himself, but the absoluteness of the truth he was about to teach, and the significance of the universal consciousness.

So this phrase would have the same connotation and used like the pop Chinese fictions: to find out who's the supreme master of their school, I guess. It is kinda ironic, cus the concepts in this manga was probably the antithesis of core Buddhist beliefs.
(from the forums over at Animesuki, 04/26/2004)
(and roughly edited, cut and pasted for shortness by me)
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

I read that too a whole back,It was pretty cool to read until they spent like 4 or five pages arguing the name instead of talking about the anime :roll: .