Congrats to Dr. FuguTabetai

Information about what's going on at MangaTranslation.com.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

Congrats, doctor! 8)

Work hard and party hard is all I can say.
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

FuguTabetai wrote:I haven't really been reading this - I've been busy. I have, by the way, sucessfully defended my phd thesis, and am now Dr. FuguTabetai.

I was going to start translating this chapter last night, but my laptop hard drive died the death of a terrible clanking and smoking. So I'm going to have to get a new hard drive before I can get any real amount of translation done. I'll probably have a translation by next week sometime, assuming I don't party too hard.
Omedeto Gozaimasu Sensei!
Sleepy Weasel
Doushi
Doushi

Post by Sleepy Weasel »

grats dr. fugu! :)
moyism
Senpai
Senpai

Post by moyism »

whoa... Dr. Fugu eh? excellent! congrats!
Starakin
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Starakin »

congratulations Dr. Fugu! :D
Dembol
Doushi
Doushi

Post by Dembol »

Congratulations on becoming a Doctor!
kidneo66
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by kidneo66 »

doctor of what? forgive my ignorance.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

...of philosophy.

Congratulations, Tabetai O-sensei! 8)
hitori
Bushi
Bushi

Post by hitori »

Congrats Fugu!

You should now change your title from Shifu to Hakase! hehe
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

MrProphet wrote:...of philosophy.
Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Science actually. I always thought it was strange that it is a doctor of philosophy, since I don't know much about philosophy actually...
Sleepy Weasel
Doushi
Doushi

Post by Sleepy Weasel »

FuguTabetai wrote: Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Science actually. I always thought it was strange that it is a doctor of philosophy, since I don't know much about philosophy actually...
"Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Science" sounds even smarter! .... what is it? :P

do you help companies design components? or teach ethical programming? you don't see many computer fields that go all the way to docs.
Asunder
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Asunder »

Congrats Dr. Fugu.
HappyStealer
Doushi
Doushi

Post by HappyStealer »

Congratulations!
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

I split these posts off from the Tenjo Tenge forum. The conversation was getting a bit off topic.

I've ordered a new hard drive for my laptop, so I hope to start translating soon.
MetalGravy
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by MetalGravy »

"Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Science" sounds even smarter! .... what is it?

do you help companies design components? or teach ethical programming? you don't see many computer fields that go all the way to docs.

yeah, what did you specialize in? Oh, and congragi-frikkin'-lations!
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

MetalGravy wrote:
"Doctor of Philosophy in Computer Science" sounds even smarter! .... what is it?

yeah, what did you specialize in? Oh, and congragi-frikkin'-lations!
I specialize in "natural language processing" - getting computers to work with text that humans use. I work on multi-lingual summarization systems. My thesis is mainly about how a computer can be given many documents in multiple different langauges, and then generate a summary of them in English using machine translation or other methods.

That is one of the reasons that I translate - I've always enjoyed using computers to tackle language programs, and I wrote a fun program to do manga translation. At some point I'm going to use all the data I've created through translation to train a statistical machine translation system just for fun.
Shinpachi
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Shinpachi »

Congrats! And here I didn't know that all this time you were translating you were also getting your doctoral.

Reminds me of a comic strip though that had a blackboard in a classroom that read "Philosophy Final Exam Question: How do I plan to make a living with a degree in philosophy?" Though, I'm sure philosophy in computer science is much more practical than just philosophy, and a doctor in anything pretty much guarantees you can always fall back to teaching at a college/university.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Shinpachi wrote:Reminds me of a comic strip though that had a blackboard in a classroom that read "Philosophy Final Exam Question: How do I plan to make a living with a degree in philosophy?" Though, I'm sure philosophy in computer science is much more practical than just philosophy, and a doctor in anything pretty much guarantees you can always fall back to teaching at a college/university.
The degree is actually a technical one, a "Doctor of Science", but for historical reasons, all doctorate degrees are Philosophy Doctorate (Ph.D.)
Sleepy Weasel
Doushi
Doushi

Post by Sleepy Weasel »

FuguTabetai wrote: That is one of the reasons that I translate - I've always enjoyed using computers to tackle language programs, and I wrote a fun program to do manga translation. At some point I'm going to use all the data I've created through translation to train a statistical machine translation system just for fun.
does that mean there will be a program you can pop tenten_raw_01.jpg into and out will pop tenten_scanlation_01.jpg? :P
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Sleepy Weasel wrote:
FuguTabetai wrote: That is one of the reasons that I translate - I've always enjoyed using computers to tackle language programs, and I wrote a fun program to do manga translation. At some point I'm going to use all the data I've created through translation to train a statistical machine translation system just for fun.
does that mean there will be a program you can pop tenten_raw_01.jpg into and out will pop tenten_scanlation_01.jpg? :P
No.

If you can string together a program to recognize text bubbles, do Japanese OCR, then machine translation, and feed into GMAO, that would be possible, but it wouldn't work well. Parts of the pipeline are missing, although I have been experimenting with the first part in GMAO. I haven't gotten anything that makes it look like an easy task though.