Kind of odd...

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

T-Bone Walker
Yuurei
Yuurei

Kind of odd...

Post by T-Bone Walker »

While mirroring the new chapter on my server (http://beefstick.dyndns.org/tjtg) I noticed an abnormaly large chunk of my bandwidth being sucked off for an abnormal amount of time. When I looked at the net monitor, I noticed a single ip had sucked the new .zip off of it something around 250 times, not exactly what I had in mind when deciding to mirror. The ip is blocked now, but I am still at a loss to the reason for it. Did anything similar happen to anyone else mirroring files?

Ip in question: 202.188.123.110

From what I could glean, it seems to be an ip from malaysia. Kind of odd.
"Only a ninja can kill another ninja" - Skinner
isieo
Yuurei
Yuurei

Track it down

Post by isieo »

you can track it down ...
just go to http://www.network-tool.com
i think you should not block that ip because in malaysia, fixed ip connections are very very expensive.. so that ip you blocked might be a random generated ip...
burrowowl
Doushi
Doushi

Post by burrowowl »

if you really want to keep if from happening again and you suspect that the offender is on a dynamically assigned IP (such as the result of PPP) then you should probably block the whole /24 subnet it's on.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Just so people know how I feel on this topic...

I'm not really big into running websites or anything. I actually, honestly do this as a hobby. So I don't like to put much effort into it. (Which is why I wrote GMAO - it helps me automate a lot of the translation process, and I get all sorts of good things out of it "for free.")

If people hammer on the server, it will go away. Either it hits some bandwidth limit, and gets heavily rate limited, or you just annoy whoever runs it, and they quit.

Sometimes it is more effort to track down things like that down than it is worth.

(By the way, I was thinking I might have to password protect the directories that I keep images and javascript versions of my translation in due to bandwidth issues, but so far people have been retrained, and I've not had to do that. yay.)

fugu
isieo
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by isieo »

burrowowl Wrote:
if you really want to keep if from happening again and you suspect that the offender is on a dynamically assigned IP (such as the result of PPP) then you should probably block the whole /24 subnet it's on.
if you do that.. other people might get block... :?
currypuff
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by currypuff »

it is unfortunate but there really are such bastards out there...
it's just like when undernet banned ALL ip from malaysia due to a bunch of bastards that use flooding scripts and such shits over and over and over never knowing when to stop...

there are always assholes out there that spoils it for others

perhaps you can put the mentioned IP on a 24 hours ban or maybe even 48 hours, but dont keep it permenant as it might punish other uses rather than the real culprit.