Tsume-eri jackets

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

hitori
Bushi
Bushi

Tsume-eri jackets

Post by hitori »

Since many people (not just here in MangaTranslation.com) like the stylish looking school uniforms in TJTG and other manga works, I thought a dedicated topic would be nice.
But my goal is to not to idolize them.
Rather, it is to provide a more realistic look at these uniforms because it is easy to develop fantacised images about these things due to its popularity among manga titles.

The tight fitting, stand-up collar jakets are commonly called 'tsume-eri' and they were the popular school uniform of choice before the 70's.
Just for information, the more common blazer + dress shirt + slacks + tie type uniforms are called 'blazer style' or simply 'blazers'.
Another type of uniform, the iconic Japanese-schoolgirl 'sailor' uniforms should be familiar with almost everyone. :wink:

Tsumeeri uniforms consist largely of three pieces of clothing: jacket, slacks, and shirt.
There are many variation in the cut, but the basic structure was the same.
An interesting fact about the jacket is that the buttons are fake.
The front of the jacket is held together by hooks or clasps.
The students are sometimes given the freedom of choice in the shirts.
Caps of various styles used to be worn, but not any more.

The uniform is quite constricting since layers of stiffer fabric are inserted in to the shoulders, back, chest and the collar to give the distinct form.
It really enforces the purpose of uniforms to the extream.
Everyone wore the uncomfortable jackets with the exact same cut.
It was to teach kids to sacrifice their individuality.
Of course it gave the more rebellious types all the more reason to 'customize' their jackets.
That's why Nagi's jacket has the flamboyant pictures inside the jacket, where it is hidden.
Another popular way to be rebellious was to wear bright red t-shirt or colorful socks. :lol:

There are many studies published about the bad ergonomic and educational properties of these uniforms and therefore schools eventually adopted the blazer style over the tsumeeri.

There are still several schools around Japan that have chosen tsumeeris.
You can see an almost complete list here:
http://tumeeri.hp.infoseek.co.jp/tsumeeri.html

'Manga Reality' or 'Hollywood Magic' can make them look good when worn by exceptionally good looking individuals, but otherwise...the real tsumeeri uniforms almost never looks cool.
solidis1
Doushi
Doushi

Post by solidis1 »

Is there a real "Nagi" model. I mean is Nagi's long coat real or just "customized", like you said, for the manga?

And does Neo's coat in Matrix 2 have some tsume-eri influences?
burrowowl
Doushi
Doushi

Post by burrowowl »

solidis1 wrote:Is there a real "Nagi" model. I mean is Nagi's long coat real or just "customized", like you said, for the manga?

And does Neo's coat in Matrix 2 have some tsume-eri influences?
It's customized to look iconoclastic. As for the straight collar, that's an old-school Manchurian clothing style that has been around for a long, long, long time.
TakCWAL
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by TakCWAL »

Just an interesting note, old school Japanese 'tsume-eri' uniforms are modeled specifically after the Prussian/German military uniforms of the 1900s...
"Lo, there do I see my father. Lo, there do I see my mother, my sisters, and my brothers. Lo, there do I see the line of my people. They do call to me. They bid me take my place among them. In the halls of Valhalla. Where the brave, may live, forever."
Fulsion
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Fulsion »

'Manga Reality' or 'Hollywood Magic' can make them look good when worn by exceptionally good looking individuals, but otherwise...the real tsumeeri uniforms almost never looks cool.
Pfft, as if it looks cool worn normally, you gotta have it buttons and collar undone, in true delinquent style :)