Fight 94

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

Yeah something's not adding up Ieyasu was never in line to be emperor, and no one would ever think he was... :?
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

Perhaps 主上 (shujou) here implies a "high lord", some kind of an exhalted noble? As in, Takayanagi promises that is Kago is gone, then Tokugawa Ieyasu would be the first among all the daimyou in Japan...

It's equally hard for me to believe that someone would openly talk about changing the dynasty, seeing as how through all the shogunates (Minamoto, Ashikaga, Tokugawa, etc.), emperors still kept the symbolic semi-divine power as the head of state, while the shoguns were annoited by the Emperor as the head of government (Bakufu).
shouki
Doushi
Doushi

Post by shouki »

MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

shouki wrote:If Souhaku is out of the way, the emperor (that go playing guy) will make Ieyasu the next ruler of Japan.
That seems to make sense, although it would have been cute if the guy was Takayanagi. Seeing how Aya was trying to seduce him, it would have kept the continuity (Go Player-Aya-Ichiyou VS. Mitsuomi-Maya-Nagi).

But maybe Oh! Great didn't go for that kind of symbolism. 8)
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

Good job Shouki, as to the signature it's not Takayanagi here's the first character of that name written in the 3 styles of calligraphy
http://www013.upp.so-net.ne.jp/santai/jpg/0309.jpg if anyone has any idea here's a page with kanji that elementary kids learn that when you click the link you see them written in calligraphy
http://www013.upp.so-net.ne.jp/santai/santai.htm
shouki
Doushi
Doushi

Post by shouki »

shouki
Doushi
Doushi

Post by shouki »

MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

Naisu... Good job, shouki! Your contribution really cleared this part for me. Thanks!
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Yes, as I've said before I'm a bit out of my element with these translations. I do try to put notes in when I'm likely wrong though.

Thanks for clearing things up Shouki. I'll try to go back and touch up my translation.

I wish I had the time to go through and make things consistent, etc., but I just don't have as much time to put into this as I did when I was a graduate student.

Ah, the good old days.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Short chapter this time?

Anyway, since the Mavs play the Suns in the first round of the Western Conference Playoffs, while I listen (at work) I finished up the translation. I can't get real work done during a game, and there's no way in hell that I'm not going to listen live, so at least I was able to translate.

Interesting chapter.

And yes, I did add in the "back" on the last line, because it just fits so well.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

Thanks for the speedy translation, Fugu. Good stuff, as always.

I found it cute how Oh! Great was able to resolve two mysteries at the same time:

1) We found out why Yagyuu Yoshikatsu, despite being a great swordsman and a scion of a famous family, is almost never mentioned anywhere and pretty much nothing is known about his life besides the fact that he lived, he was a good fencer and he was crippled in a fight.

2) We also found out why Onojirou Tadaaki still continued to serve the Tokugawa shogunate as a master-at-arms despite being killed by Shoujou (who obviously wouldn't stick around Osaka Castle forever).

For once Oh! Great is trying to fill the plotholes he creates. 8)

It's also worth mentioning that the secret technique which Shoujou used to disarm Yoshikatsu (pp. 15-17) is actually well recorded in history.

The history goes as follows: legendary swordsman Yagyuu Muneyoshi Sekishuusai (Yoshikatsu's father and the founder of Yagyuu Shinkage Ryu) was invited to Kyoto for a display of swordsmanship in the year 1594. Legend says that old Muneyoshi fought Tokugawa Ieyasu himself and has disarmed him with his secret technique called "Mutou" or "No Sword". Ieyasu was so impressed that he made Yagyuu family the official instructors of the Tokugawa household.

There is an explanation of Mutou here: http://maxpages.com/hakudaryu/Muto

And the "Yagyuu New Shadow Style" is just a literal variation of "Yagyuu Shinkage Ryu", a kendo school to which Yagyuu belonged to. 8)
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

Great info and work by everybody, I'm so glad I found this website. I probably wouldn't enjoy TT half as much if I just got the scanlations.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

kk1 wrote:Great info and work by everybody, I'm so glad I found this website. I probably wouldn't enjoy TT half as much if I just got the scanlations.
There are scanlations? :shock:
HappyStealer
Doushi
Doushi

Post by HappyStealer »

man, I think I generally, really enjoyed this aya 2 past arc. Lots of interesting things we find out about souhaku and some info on some of the founding families. I'm a bit sad to see aya 2 die but what a way to die. Souhaku..... what a sad guy... overpowered a 9 year old and still got stabbed earlier by her. Kudos for Aya 2. At least she died smiling knowing that "Ichiyou" thinks she did something to help out. I hope Ichiyou pwns Ieyasu. Wonder how Ichiyou is gonna react to seeing aya 2's dead body....... I can't wait to see what happens in the next chapter, haven't been this anxious about an upcoming chapter in a while and hopefully return to the present arc with an update on nagi/aya/maya situations.
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

FuguTabetai wrote:
kk1 wrote:Great info and work by everybody, I'm so glad I found this website. I probably wouldn't enjoy TT half as much if I just got the scanlations.
Like before , I should have added :D , I haven't seen one lately but vol 14 does have them.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

kk1 wrote:
FuguTabetai wrote:
Like before , I should have added :D , I haven't seen one lately but vol 14 does have them.
So does 15.... and 16... :roll:
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

MrProphet wrote:
kk1 wrote:
FuguTabetai wrote: There are scanlations? :shock:
So does 15.... and 16... :roll:
Really? I honestly never even look for them anymore after I read the translation here with the raws.

Man this place gets dead anymore after Fugu puts out the translation, any chance we'll see that revised volume 14 finished Fugu? It looks like it has some good stuff with Makiko, Souhaku, and Tetsuhito. I've still always been curious about which family Tetsuhito's "turning people into meatballs" power came from. :D
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

kk1 wrote: Man this place gets dead anymore after Fugu puts out the translation, any chance we'll see that revised volume 14 finished Fugu? It looks like it has some good stuff with Makiko, Souhaku, and Tetsuhito. I've still always been curious about which family Tetsuhito's "turning people into meatballs" power came from. :D
It isn't completely out of the realm of possibility. It is just kind of a pain because I have to go back to that list that shows what is different (thank god for that) find the old images, find the new ones, and try to spot differences. It isn't very fun to translate because I already know where the story is going so it doesn't help on that level.

I've also got Hells Angels to work on (whenever Tamachan-scans can provide me a clean raw to work with) which is a lot more fun to translate than old patches to the TJTG story.

More than that though, I'm currently in the process of moving, and don't really have much free time. After the move (have to be out of here in a week) I might start hacking away at it.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

I can provide you with tank scan for the modified version. If you ever decide to get it going, just PM me.
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

FuguTabetai wrote:
kk1 wrote: Man this place gets dead anymore after Fugu puts out the translation, any chance we'll see that revised volume 14 finished Fugu? It looks like it has some good stuff with Makiko, Souhaku, and Tetsuhito. I've still always been curious about which family Tetsuhito's "turning people into meatballs" power came from. :D
It isn't completely out of the realm of possibility. It is just kind of a pain because I have to go back to that list that shows what is different (thank god for that) find the old images, find the new ones, and try to spot differences. It isn't very fun to translate because I already know where the story is going so it doesn't help on that level.

I've also got Hells Angels to work on (whenever Tamachan-scans can provide me a clean raw to work with) which is a lot more fun to translate than old patches to the TJTG story.

More than that though, I'm currently in the process of moving, and don't really have much free time. After the move (have to be out of here in a week) I might start hacking away at it.
Yeah, I understand. Not counting the omake(which I for could care less about) you were half way done with 16(out of 30 some left) completely new pages so it's not all that bad :wink: No rush, I'm just grateful you do it at all...man didn't you just move? You've been having a busy year :shock:
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

On this day...
June 4: Independence Day in Tonga (1970)

1615 - Forces under the shogun Tokugawa Ieyasu took Osaka Castle in Japan.

Wikpedia is full of daily reminders :D
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

MrProphet wrote:I can provide you with tank scan for the modified version. If you ever decide to get it going, just PM me.
I already have the tank versions, thanks though. The problem is actually finding the differences, having to go back and compare, pick out the right files, etc. :)
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

kk1 wrote:man didn't you just move? You've been having a busy year :shock:
Let's see, going back a year:

May 2005 move from New York after getting PhD to Dallas
Aug 2005 move to Tokyo to look for a job, crash with friends
Nov 2005 back to Dallas
Mar 2006 move to Tokyo, share apt. with friend from above
Jun 2006 move to my own place in Tokyo, should stay there for 2 years (btw, cute area: http://flickr.com/photos/fugutabetai/se ... 154642819/)

Yeah, lots of moving, lots of work with the new job.

But I've had some time here and there to translate. I will finish the changes from vol. 14, it just might take a while. :P

Hm, seems like I've hijacked this thread. heh.
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

Christ, Fugu. That place looks like it costs the entire domestic product of a small country: Damn nice place like that in Tokyo... Congratulations.

Now you can live like the dirty decadent gaikokujin you are and bring home a different OL every weekend. :P
"Swallow your food whole, fool! Do you not know that mastication makes you go blind?"
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

FuguTabetai wrote:
kk1 wrote:man didn't you just move? You've been having a busy year :shock:
Let's see, going back a year:

May 2005 move from New York after getting PhD to Dallas
Aug 2005 move to Tokyo to look for a job, crash with friends
Nov 2005 back to Dallas
Mar 2006 move to Tokyo, share apt. with friend from above
Jun 2006 move to my own place in Tokyo, should stay there for 2 years (btw, cute area: http://flickr.com/photos/fugutabetai/se ... 154642819/)

Yeah, lots of moving, lots of work with the new job.

But I've had some time here and there to translate. I will finish the changes from vol. 14, it just might take a while. :P

Hm, seems like I've hijacked this thread. heh.
Nice. Looks like you'll have plenty of room for forum members to crash if they ever get back to Japan :wink: Believe me being busy is way better then being bored all the time with the same old boring job.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

kk1 wrote:Nice. Looks like you'll have plenty of room for forum members to crash if they ever get back to Japan :wink: Believe me being busy is way better then being bored all the time with the same old boring job.
If anyone is in the area, do at least look me up. :)