Thank You Fugu

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

BajiMattheis
Yuurei
Yuurei

Thank You Fugu

Post by BajiMattheis »

This is just a note to thank Fugu. You've unwittingly helped me out so much I just had to say something. Here's how;

As a quick background, I am a martial artist. Not a big manga fan until I seriously injured myself and had a lot of time to research and read and generally do what people do when their lives aren't consumed by punching. I was trying to get across a few concepts to my Judo teacher at the time (a martial artist who does Judo as a hobby, that's how pathetic I am), who spoke very little english. Being injured, I had a lot of time to try to talk to him about my other practice, but not knowing any of the japanese terminology for these chinese concepts was a major problem.

One night I came across some lines in TenTen while randomly googling "six harmonies" and hoping. My sad, injured ass was turned on to Tenjou Tenge, which is amazing, but more importantly a source to get some basic Japanese martial vocabulary. And helped like crazy. Terms for fighting, martial arts concepts, schools etc etc, things not generally covered in japanese-english dictionaries. I was finally able to converse, at least a little, with someone I respected immensely about something that dominated both of our lives completely; martial arts.

This was a little while ago, but it finally occurred to me that I should say thanks. And while I'm sure you have plenty of info in this area (you've been at this a while), if you ever come across a reference to Chinese martial practice of any kind that is unclear (styles, techniques, schools, history, anything), I'd be more than happy to lend a hand. Anything I can do to help, I owe you one, so don't hesitate!

Thanks again for the service you do! It does more good for the world than providing entertainment.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Oh man, you should not use anything in my translations of TJTG related to Martial Arts as a basis for learning.

I would guess that about 75% of my translations in that area are just off the top of my head and incorrect. Sometimes, I might search the Japanese wikipedia or something, but any of the accurate information about fighting comes from fans in this forum, not me.

But it is nice to hear that my translations have helped you out with Japanese in some way. That's mainly why I first started putting my translations up on the web.
BajiMattheis
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by BajiMattheis »

Yeah, it's purely linguistic, I thought that was clear. The terminology used is accurate enough to paint a clear picture, which it did without any hitch. Terminology aside, I don't think any rational person could mistake the martial arts depicted in this story to be anything close to realistic.
Léonidas
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Léonidas »

by the way, thank fugu for plenty of your trad, like dogs or tenten :)

we love you so much ! if one day you came in france, I pay you a drink ^^
jjfew
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by jjfew »

seems like all the member of the mnm team are in !!

Leonidas, don't bother !! Fugu doesn't pay attention to people thanking him ^^.
French translator ... Fugu fan.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

I've managed to swindle maybe two or three people into buying me drinks before. :)

Anyway, glad that the Japanese English translations are actually useful for language learning. That is really nice to see.