Quality of art

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

geohound03
Tamashii
Tamashii

Quality of art

Post by geohound03 »

I had a skim through topics since I was last on, and can't see anything regarding this. So I just thought I'd raise the topic:

Does anyone else think the quality of artwork in TT is really declining?

I remember reading on here somewhere before that he was getting one of his juniors to draw it now because he is too busy with Air Gear. Is he really that busy now? I don't know about you guys, but one of the main things that attracted me to TT was the beautiful artwork, and I don't just mean the nekkid ladies. To me it was one of the best looking manga around. But lately its been getting worse and worse, with some very out of proportion shots in paticular distracting me from the plot completely. No, I'm still not talking about boobies, but whoever it is he has drawing it now, some of the work is bordering on bad fanart quality.

Is it going to be this way now till TT ends? or is this just a short phase? I certainly hope its the latter.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

It has been going on for a bit too long to call it a short phase...

I agree though, the art quality was better in the first (say, 1-9 or so) volumes.
geohound03
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by geohound03 »

For me it only started declining a lot around volume 13-ish... I think. Heh, I really can't remember.

I miss how the characters used to look. I'm not even talking about females either, I'm a huge Masataka fanboy, and he just doesn't look the same anymore. It saddens me.
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

The artwork has been different for awhile now. It really changed into I'll say a more "realistic" style around vol 8 and 9. Before then everyone really had much bigger eyes in proportion to their face and looked more like Oh Great's recognizable style (I mean if you saw a character no matter who it was you'd know OG drew it, compare to all his older stuff). I kinda like the new style there is alot more detail, and that kinda neccessitates the faces being drawn different as they were more cartoony before, though I do miss the original style. :)
geohound03
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by geohound03 »

I don't really agree. I actually decided to re-read some of volume 11 earlier. Perhaps the 'style' had changed a little from earlier volumes, but the quality was still brilliant and still very distinctive. My gripe is with later work being very badly drawn. I'm not talking about the style. Unless completely screwed up faces and angles is a style now. It just doesn't look like the work of Oh Great at all. As I said, its like bad fanart.

I'll pick out some examples of what I mean and post them later.
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

geohound03 wrote:I don't really agree. I actually decided to re-read some of volume 11 earlier. Perhaps the 'style' had changed a little from earlier volumes, but the quality was still brilliant and still very distinctive. My gripe is with later work being very badly drawn. I'm not talking about the style. Unless completely screwed up faces and angles is a style now. It just doesn't look like the work of Oh Great at all. As I said, its like bad fanart.

I'll pick out some examples of what I mean and post them later.
I really don't see how you can say that at all just look at the detail of the thing Fu is guarding in chap114, how is that badly drawn? :?
geohound03
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by geohound03 »

That is not a character. If you read my posts, my main emphasis is on how characters are drawn. I agree, stuff like that is as good as ever, but if you are saying that all the characters are looking better and more detailed than ever, I feel we are looking at different artwork. Heh.

Edit: I'm really not trying to say the manga is horrible now. What I'm really saying is, it doesn't look how it used to. How it 'was' is the benchmark to me, by which I judge most manga's I read now. And how it is now, is like someone trying to imitate the old work. As I said, I read on a older topic somewhere on this forum that Oh! Great wasn't actually drawing it now, he gets one of his assistants to do it because he is busy with AG. After reading the past 10 chapters, I'm inclined to think that story is true.
Katsudon
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Katsudon »

The style looks pretty much the same as it does in air gear, so i doubt his assistant is drawing the entire chapter. Maybe bigger chunks here and there . The style change that occured didn't really bother me, and i wouldn't say that it got worse persay but it changed to a slightly more realistic style. Most people probably just don't like the new style, but i don't even really notice it anymore.

Anyways it sounds like a random forum rumor because i HIGHLY doubt he would publicly state that type of information, unless one of his assistants leaked that info on a blog or something along those lines.
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

geohound03 wrote:That is not a character. If you read my posts, my main emphasis is on how characters are drawn. I agree, stuff like that is as good as ever, but if you are saying that all the characters are looking better and more detailed than ever, I feel we are looking at different artwork. Heh.

Edit: I'm really not trying to say the manga is horrible now. What I'm really saying is, it doesn't look how it used to. How it 'was' is the benchmark to me, by which I judge most manga's I read now. And how it is now, is like someone trying to imitate the old work. As I said, I read on a older topic somewhere on this forum that Oh! Great wasn't actually drawing it now, he gets one of his assistants to do it because he is busy with AG. After reading the past 10 chapters, I'm inclined to think that story is true.
And I agreed they are drawn different, however I don't agree they're worse. Obviously that's all a matter of opinion. Just look at the anatomy and proportions and you'll see the characters are drawn more realistically now, though of course you lose style when you go for realism and I agree the charachters are lacking a style they used to have.
jjfew
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by jjfew »

precisely realistic !
That's the good word !

I really prefer the way characters ar drawn today.
It's the same for colored drawings ... it amazes me, totally.
Assistants are mainly working on layout, buildings, etc ...
Oh!Great does draw the main characters and actions.

Honestly, the 4 last chapters kicked my ass and eyes ... the drawings are unbelievable to me.
French translator ... Fugu fan.
lost
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by lost »

I think they're getting better, but more inconsistent, but oh!great has always been a bit inconsistent, I personally think air gear look a bit better overall than tenjo, he seems to be putting more details into air gear, and generally more "stylish".

I like Tenjo's style though, the last chapter with Nagi turning into his complete form was breathtaking interms of art.