Greetings.

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

Marcus Falden
Tamashii
Tamashii

Greetings.

Post by Marcus Falden »

Hey I'm new to this message board so I guess I'll introduce myself. Hi I love Tenjo Tengen. As student in the Martial Arts I got hooked on this manga from the begining. Even if some or actually almost everything they do is a bit to urealistic the fact that many of the moves they do are based on actuall fighting technic just makes it that much cooler. Anyway I hope to get to know all you fellow Tenjo Tengen readers. Oh by the way I try to folow a training sort of that as Bob's but man some of the stuff he does is just impossible, but I still try anywa 8) y see you all later.
Shishio-sama
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Shishio-sama »

What Martial Art(s) are you studying?
- The Juppon Gatana -
http://www.thejuppongatana.com
*Japanese translators needed.*
Marcus Falden
Tamashii
Tamashii

I study....

Post by Marcus Falden »

I have been studying kenpo Karate for About 3 years now, but I'm thinking of switching to Japanese Karate, oh and I also did a bit of Aikido, and Gung Fu or something like that can't quite remember he name. How about you.
All's Fair in Love and War.
Shishio-sama
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Shishio-sama »

I wish I could afford to study martial arts. I would like to learn Aikido, some striking oriented stuff, and some other grappling stuff. I would also like to learn boxing and Muay Thai. Maybe someday...
- The Juppon Gatana -
GreatTeacherStone
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by GreatTeacherStone »

Yo man, I studied Kendo for like 3 years man, purple belt YO!
anyway, I have a random question, why are all Tai Kwan Do masters named Kim or Larry, especially Kim, whats up wit dat?
Marcus Falden
Tamashii
Tamashii

Well...

Post by Marcus Falden »

To tell the truth I haven't ever seen a Kendo school here in Miami. Not that I really looked for it, but man I wouldn't mind studying that. Anyway I just resently found the japanese karate place wich has a special for beginners of almost $300 dollars a year and about $10 a month. even if it all come's down to about 500 a year is still a hell of a lot cheaper then where I used to train which charged me 60 a month. Oh and pluss I'm a member at Bally so thats another bil I have to pay. But hey when you go to tournaments and get to kick ass and win, and sometimes get your ass kicked it's all worth it. At least in my opinion. Man I wrote a lot.
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

GTS wrote:
Yo man, I studied Kendo for like 3 years man, purple belt YO!
anyway, I have a random question, why are all Tai Kwan Do masters named Kim or Larry, especially Kim, whats up wit dat?
Most of the world's best taekwando experts are Korean. Many Koreans have the surname Kim. I don't know why.

Shishio-sama wrote:
I wish I could afford to study martial arts. I would like to learn Aikido, some striking oriented stuff, and some other grappling stuff. I would also like to learn boxing and Muay Thai. Maybe someday...
Why not start today? Some schools charge much more than they are worth. Others charge reasonably. Yet others, like church-organised or school=based clubs and groups charge minimal fees. But you need to be sure the instructor is qualified. I guess it depends on where in the world you are...

Marcues wrote:
To tell the truth I haven't ever seen a Kendo school here in Miami. Not that I really looked for it, but man I wouldn't mind studying that. Anyway I just resently found the japanese karate place wich has a special for beginners of almost $300 dollars a year and about $10 a month. even if it all come's down to about 500 a year is still a hell of a lot cheaper then where I used to train which charged me 60 a month. Oh and pluss I'm a member at Bally so thats another bil I have to pay. But hey when you go to tournaments and get to kick ass and win, and sometimes get your ass kicked it's all worth it. At least in my opinion.
Money is always a factor. Trust me, I know. I wanted to study Capoeira Angola under Mestre Ousado but he charged much more than I could afford as an undergraduate (goddamn I'm poor!). I have to put that off until I can afford it. But I think an important point you haven't raised is whether you like training kempo. There is no guarantee you will like whatever art you switch to. My advice is, if it's possible, to concurrently try another martial art for one month, just to see how you like it. Also bear in mind that people of different built and different physical prowess may be more suited to specific martial arts. I tried Wing Chun for a month, but gave it up because I found the stances and techniques too narrow for my liking.

Finally, you may also wish to consider your relationships with your sensei and fellow students. We no longer live in the days of old where the teacher is like a father and a student's loyalty needs to be unflinching, but a good teacher-student relationship is nevertheless not easy to find or forge. I don't know what the situation with you is, but you should at least take that into consideration.

One last thing: winning tournaments is a great boost to the confidence and will always enable you to rededicate yourself to training. But that's not all there is. Martial arts can be a great teacher of life, if you allow it to be.

Agent Wax
shiondev
Yuurei
Yuurei

Re: Greetings.

Post by shiondev »

Marcus Falden wrote:Oh by the way I try to folow a training sort of that as Bob's but man some of the stuff he does is just impossible, but I still try anywa 8) y see you all later.
Huh? I thought you said you did Kenpo? Bob is doing Capoeira.. and while I guess Bob is unreasonably strong and fast, the moves they've shown him do are pretty possible.. they show him do all Capoeira moves. Except for a flare.. that's not.
shiondev
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by shiondev »

-- I wanted to study Capoeira Angola under Mestre Ousado but he charged much more than I could afford as an undergraduate (goddamn I'm poor!). I have to put that off until I can afford it. But I think an important point you haven't raised is whether you like training kempo. There is no guarantee you will like whatever art you switch to. My advice is, if it's possible, to concurrently try another martial art for one month, just to see how you like it. Also bear in mind that people of different built and different physical prowess may be more suited to specific martial arts. I tried Wing Chun for a month, but gave it up because I found the stances and techniques too narrow for my liking.

Agent Wax
I don't mean to be presumptious.. but if I could, I'd like to offer some advice. If you're really trying to broaden/deepen your martial understanding, Capoeira is not the way to go. (No offense to any practitioners out there, although I guess it's too late for that). I studied it myself a while back, and while it's really fun, I think it's too limited to give you a good understanding of the martial way. The way you say Wing Chun is too narrow, Capoeira is too open. Even Angola style. Both are very stylistic, and I think we can agree the best style is no style at all.

I study Ba Gua and Shaolin myself, down in Houston. Don't have a teacher anymore cuz I moved from where I originally learned them, so I just study by myself.
Shishio-sama
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Shishio-sama »

Agent_Wax wrote:GTS wrote:
Shishio-sama wrote:
Why not start today? Some schools charge much more than they are worth. Others charge reasonably. Yet others, like church-organised or school=based clubs and groups charge minimal fees. But you need to be sure the instructor is qualified. I guess it depends on where in the world you are...Agent Wax

Yeah, I'll just pick money out of air while I'm at it too... Seriously though, I can't 'Just start today.' that requires money, etc; I have heard of church things and stuff, but have never seen them... Then again, never really looked... I don't go to any church or school... So, yeah... But, I'm in Toronto, if that helps.
- The Juppon Gatana -
Marcus Falden
Tamashii
Tamashii

Well lets see...

Post by Marcus Falden »

8) Hey Shishio-sama, if you really interested in becoming a martial arts fighter, then you don't really have to pay well at least very little, this is what I would do if I were in a situation where I'm broke. First I find a nice big park near my house and run, and I mean run every day for at least an Hour. Next push-ups. You have to become devoted to them do them until your arms bleed (well not that much!) but do a lot. You see one thing I have notice at least the 3 and something years soon to be 4 is that if you don't have much knowledge in a style you can at least make up for some of the disadvantage with some god old fashion pure Power. If you got enough strength that at least should be able to let you go up against some one who perhaps is not as strong as you but knows a Hell of a lot more than you. Anyway back to the exercise routine, also do abs lots of sit-ups and crunches, stretching as much as possible also something that I was never good at. Ok next after I set up my exercise routine, then I go to my local bookstore and try to find a book on any martial arts that would fit what I want most. Preferably one with many pictures that always help, or if I could find a video even better. Now with these simple guidelines anyone can at least be able to defend themselves from the average bully or clown in the street. Now of course don't think that because you're Big and strong you can take on the whole world cause you'll be in for a rude awakening. Well hopefully this helps, or another tip get a buddy that knows something and make him/her teach you. For free of course I mean what are friends for.
Tommy-kun
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Tommy-kun »

Well, hi

My contribution to this, if you want someting with technique and explosive movements, do Chen Style TaiChi. For something which goes deeper and softer train Yang style, though competent teachers of this a very wide between.

"Power" wont do any good against an experienced brawler, he will simply be more ruthless. There are quite some good teaching videos on Chen, but push hands you would have to find someone to train with you. Hey, a friend aint half bad, after some time you would have figured out enough to at least know how to react to certain basic sensations.

This is my best bet on this, running and crunching and stuff is quite bad, you get muscle but your speed, touch sensitivity, relaxation etc will suffer enough to make up for any positive effects except self confidence. But get a friend for push hands and this will go up much faster and with much greater realism. And 1 hour/day will make all the work out you need :D

Tommy
blackkenshi
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by blackkenshi »

Tommy-kun wrote:There are quite some good teaching videos on Chen, but push hands you would have to find someone to train with you. Hey, a friend aint half bad, after some time you would have figured out enough to at least know how to react to certain basic sensations.

This is my best bet on this, running and crunching and stuff is quite bad, you get muscle but your speed, touch sensitivity, relaxation etc will suffer enough to make up for any positive effects except self confidence. But get a friend for push hands and this will go up much faster and with much greater realism. And 1 hour/day will make all the work out you need :D

Tommy
Ok I only started martial arts training recently and I was wondering what psuh hands mean. Please help a guy out. Ive onle been in training for 2 months now and it would help if others would give me pointers on some good training tips.
burrowowl
Doushi
Doushi

Post by burrowowl »

Whatever style you're doing, I would advise that you practice until you're quite good at it before switching off to some other style (especially if you're switching between striking-intensive styles). The lessons of one will not necessarily work well with the lessons of another until you're ready for it.

In other words, if you've puttered around with Kenpo for a couple years and want to give Muy Thai a whack, just do what your Muy Thai instructor says and leave the Kenpo at home till you're ready to pick it up again.

Different styles often have very different underlying philosophies, and what's good for the goose isn't always good for the gander.

As for intense physical training, it's a good thing to be in good physical condition, but it's isn't the most important thing in actual melee. Your ability to spontaneously and correctly apply a technique while under duress is what'll make 80% of the difference. Work out enough so that it isn't hard to perform your practice. Bomb sessions at the gym are more likely to detract from a proper training regimen.

Of course, don't take it from me. Talk (in person) with somebody who really knows his sh*t. If you're training in good old fashioned western boxing (an excellent martial art, let no one tell you otherwise) your instructor will have different excersize ideas than if you're studying a Tai Chi variant.
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

I don't mean to be presumptious.. but if I could, I'd like to offer some advice. If you're really trying to broaden/deepen your martial understanding, Capoeira is not the way to go. (No offense to any practitioners out there, although I guess it's too late for that). I studied it myself a while back, and while it's really fun, I think it's too limited to give you a good understanding of the martial way. The way you say Wing Chun is too narrow, Capoeira is too open. Even Angola style. Both are very stylistic, and I think we can agree the best style is no style at all.
Nah. Don't worry about it. Speaking for myself I enjoy exchanging opinions and ideas, provided nobody's being an arse about it. My principal art is Shito-ryu karate. I want to study Capoeira to improve my flexibility, coordination, and balance, as well as learn a few techniques that I can use when I'm not standing upright. Basically to supplement my karate skills. I have long legs, and I want to make good use of them.

Ok next after I set up my exercise routine, then I go to my local bookstore and try to find a book on any martial arts that would fit what I want most. Preferably one with many pictures that always help, or if I could find a video even better. Now with these simple guidelines anyone can at least be able to defend themselves from the average bully or clown in the street.
Uh, look, I'm going to have to disagree with that. IMHO, It's not possible to learn martial arts from books or videos. You'll only learn enough to get yourself hurt or to give you false confidence. Second, being strong has its advantages, but it's still no match for the speedy relexes and skills honed through years of practice in the arts. Granted, people won't mess with you if you're big, but that fear is psychological/primal, and not really based on fact. Most of those big guys will squeel like little schoolgirls after a well placed elbow hit.

Being a good fighter is only 35% physical (by my own estimates). The rest is purely mental.

Agent Wax
Tommy-kun
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Tommy-kun »

blackkenshi wrote:Ok I only started martial arts training recently and I was wondering what push hands mean. Please help a guy out. I've only been in training for 2 months now and it would help if others would give me pointers on some good training tips.
Pushing hands is and exercise where after establishing contact you don't loose it anymore. As opposed to sticky hands of WingChun your main goal is not to strike but to take the shortest route which is most often a push.

The motto is "get as close to him as possible while keeping him away as far as possible". Don't force this, possible means there are limits.
The main principle is softnes, if there is a force so strong you can't work around, yield. Yielding when fully realised is pulling, while all forward movements are pushes. You practice this slowly, you want to learn and build sensitivity. Of course occasional speeding it up doesn't hurt so you see how this would come aboutin a more speedy case.

You at need to know the basic four pushands movements and sequence and how to yield to practice. When practised with concentration and diligence this will yield results that you yourself are surprised of 8)

Tommy
Marcus Falden
Tamashii
Tamashii

Push Hands...

Post by Marcus Falden »

Ok I read the explanation but I still don't see it I guess when I'll have to ask my sensai about it. :?:
ESPerion
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by ESPerion »

why, if u love style then Wushu is for you :wink:

even though i really think girl's wushu looks better than guy's wushu. anyway it's the same deal: basic practice everyday. go around kicking up like a mad dood for 30min. it's most suited to learn at a young age though; this art requires lots of flexibility and dex... uh. like ballet, u probably don't have what it takes (anymore =.,=) if u tackle it too late.
Marcus Falden
Tamashii
Tamashii

Mhh Wushu

Post by Marcus Falden »

I only heard and saw about wushu in a discover channel special that they had on Martial Arts. i wouldn't mind learning more about it.
The_Shape
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by The_Shape »

I study Ba Gua and Shaolin myself, down in Houston. Don't have a teacher anymore cuz I moved from where I originally learned them, so I just study by myself.
Here in Brazil you can't say "fight" Capoeira. You "play" Capoeira. P-L-A-Y.

Voc
omni
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by omni »

GreatTeacherStone wrote:Yo man, I studied Kendo for like 3 years man, purple belt YO!
yes, yes most tai kwan do's master is korean. and kim is major surname in korea(about 30%). It is same to korean why are so many western people named micheal or robert?
shiondev
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by shiondev »

[quote="The_Shape"]
Here in Brazil you can't say "fight" Capoeira. You "play" Capoeira. P-L-A-Y.

Voc
shinzoku
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by shinzoku »

Yo, Agent_Wax! You study shito ryu ? Then you are in IKF ?(Internation Karate Federation!) Which doujou do you attend ? O_O masaka! ... you aren't one of the sensei , are you ? Man, I haven't been to practice for so long. Well, even if you are not IKF, shito ryu !! yay !!
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

Shinzoku wrote:
Yo, Agent_Wax! You study shito ryu ? Then you are in IKF ?(Internation Karate Federation!) Which doujou do you attend ? O_O masaka! ... you aren't one of the sensei , are you ? Man, I haven't been to practice for so long. Well, even if you are not IKF, shito ryu !! yay !!
Hmm. Actually, I don't even know whether my dojo is considered to be under the IKF. My dojo is Ken Yu Kai (Fist of Friendship). We try to steer clear of politics. My sensei is Shihan Yoshimasa Ishikawa. He is a student of Kenei Mabuni (I believe he was also taught by Kenzo Mabuni, but his primary sensei was the elder son). And dude, I'm only 2nd kyu. I'm not qualified to teach anybody.

Agent Wax