Tenjo Tenge pronounciation

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

Moesbie
Yuurei
Yuurei

Tenjo Tenge pronounciation

Post by Moesbie »

I was curious about the pronunciation of Tenjo Tenge. It seems like it would be ten-joe ten-geh, the "geh" in "get", but I've heard it pronounced ten-joe ten-guh, the "guh" in "gut". So which is it? Or is there some other pronunciation?

Thanks,
My first post :D
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Re: Tenjo Tenge pronounciation

Post by FuguTabetai »

Moesbie wrote:I was curious about the pronunciation of Tenjo Tenge. It seems like it would be ten-joe ten-geh, the "geh" in "get", but I've heard it pronounced ten-joe ten-guh, the "guh" in "gut". So which is it? Or is there some other pronunciation?

Thanks,
My first post :D
Ten Joe Ten Gay

fugu
blackkenshi
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by blackkenshi »

Got a question. What are those ISBN numbers supposed to be? And I looked at the Hanagumi page and was looking at the dates each volume was released. I'm making a guess here but the next volume might come out in July or August.
standa-man
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by standa-man »

blackkenshi wrote:Got a question. What are those ISBN numbers supposed to be? And I looked at the Hanagumi page and was looking at the dates each volume was released. I'm making a guess here but the next volume might come out in July or August.
ISBN numbers are the numbers above the barcode printed on books. They uniquely identify a book so you should be able to use an ISBN number to find and purchase any book.

I don't know any of the technical details like what ISBN stands for or what organization is in charge of the numbers, but it seems to be an international standard.

So in the case of Tenjo Tenge, it makes it easier to find a volume if you can't type in Japanese or do a romanized Japanese search.
koko775
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by koko775 »

Disclaimer: I am Japanese.

Fugu: wrong. If that were so then it would be Tenjo Tengei. Gei = gay Ge = geh. Likely you heard someone with an accent or someone misinformed pronouncing it.

also, there's no jyo sound in japanese. Jo = Ji with a small yu = Jo. Jyo = Ji + ? nothing works ? + yo. Doesn't happen. Though even japanese sometimes romanize it like that, but in the two most prevalent systems of romanization that i've encountered, neither have occured.

The Naruto manga referring to it as Jyutsu was equally annoying. -_-
blackkenshi
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by blackkenshi »

koko775 wrote:Disclaimer: I am Japanese.

Fugu: wrong. If that were so then it would be Tenjo Tengei. Gei = gay Ge = geh. Likely you heard someone with an accent or someone misinformed pronouncing it.

also, there's no jyo sound in japanese. Jo = Ji with a small yu = Jo. Jyo = Ji + ? nothing works ? + yo. Doesn't happen. Though even japanese sometimes romanize it like that, but in the two most prevalent systems of romanization that i've encountered, neither have occured.

Hey give the guy a break. At least he's translating this stuff for some of us who didn't learn japanese yet. He's doing good for someone who wasn't born there or was raised under the japanese language.
Reader
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Reader »

No harm done with that comment right? He's just correcting an error made. I don't see any form of malicious comments on Fugu.

We all learn something new today! :D
koko775
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by koko775 »

blackkenshi wrote:

Hey give the guy a break. At least he's translating this stuff for some of us who didn't learn japanese yet. He's doing good for someone who wasn't born there or was raised under the japanese language.
I was born in the US and raised here, but I learned Japanese (albeit slowly) from my mom throughout my childhood -- but I'm still learning, as she wasn't the best of teachers in that respect. (EDIT: Though by no means am i bad at Japanese, just not up to par with native Japanese people)
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

I appreciate the correction. Yes, I should have more correctly written 'ten jyou ten ge' but how many americans would pronounce geh correctly? Might as well say gay, which is close enough. Interestingly, where I would write it as "Tenjyou Tenge" Oh! Great writes it as "Tenjo Tenge".

As for there being no "jyo" sound in Japanese, are you sure? I mean, じょ is all over the place (Ji + little yo) and that sounds like a "jyo" to me. I tend to romanize using Hepburn standard, so maybe this is just an academic difference -- some people romanize that as jo.

My japanese is not perfect; I've only studied 7 years, and have just been speaking for 10. Certainly, in Tenjo Tenge I have to look up some kanji sometimes, so there is always room for improvement.
koko775
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by koko775 »

FuguTabetai wrote:

I appreciate the correction. Yes, I should have more correctly written 'ten jyou ten ge' but how many americans would pronounce geh correctly? Might as well say gay, which is close enough. Interestingly, where I would write it as "Tenjyou Tenge" Oh! Great writes it as "Tenjo Tenge".

As for there being no "jyo" sound in Japanese, are you sure? I mean, じょ is all over the place (Ji + little yo) and that sounds like a "jyo" to me. I tend to romanize using Hepburn standard, so maybe this is just an academic difference -- some people romanize that as jo.

My japanese is not perfect; I've only studied 7 years, and have just been speaking for 10. Certainly, in Tenjo Tenge I have to look up some kanji sometimes, so there is always room for improvement.
Just to clarify, in japanese the yo part of Jo is NEVER pronounced (as far as my experience with my japanese family/friends) -- the small yo serves as a "o" sound, not a yo sound. Jyo could be mistaken for a type and be corrected as Jiyo...but I'm only familiar with one style of romanization, and I'm pretty sure it's more popular as it's the only one i've seen my entire life. I believe that if there's a u (oo sound) after te n jo the o is technically supposed to have a long bar placed above it, but it's a matter of style.Tenjou Tenge would probably also be a good romanization.

I wish there were one universal standard for romanizing, rather than two or three.

EDIT: gay and geh are pronounced _very_ differently. Ge i and Ge differ in one character...but that's probably because I have an ear for hearing Japanese. I actually wasn't that good a student for the first three or so years because of a mental block i ran into in using the particles -- but when that cleared I got a lot better -- You probably know more kanji -- i never paid attention to kanji.
Tommy-kun
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Tommy-kun »

Well, as for the reason of the jyo=jo, it's shi.
Shi is the only character that can become something with a j at start, ji. So how does one get jo? ji+yo. It's only a matter of transcription and that some languages "swallow" other letters than others.

It also depends on your own native language, my own is very straight in vocalization, for us talking in Japanese is more easy than "English slurring" :roll:
koko775
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by koko775 »

Tommy-kun wrote:Well, as for the reason of the jyo=jo, it's shi.
Shi is the only character that can become something with a j at start, ji. So how does one get jo? ji+yo. It's only a matter of transcription and that some languages "swallow" other letters than others.

It also depends on your own native language, my own is very straight in vocalization, for us talking in Japanese is more easy than "English slurring" :roll:
Wrong, it's a ji. shi with tenten = ji; you're also wrong about shi being the only character that can have the ji sound -- chi with tenten is pronounced as ji, although it's typically assumed to be ji (shi with tenten). Nobody gets jo from ji+yo, they get it from ji + small yo. Ji + yo = jiyo.
The_Shape
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by The_Shape »

FuguTabetai wrote:Interestingly, where I would write it as "Tenjyou Tenge" Oh! Great writes it as "Tenjo Tenge".
When it appears in the manga, it's always written (in the color illustrations and stuff) as "tenJHO tenge", no?
standa-man
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by standa-man »

The_Shape wrote:
FuguTabetai wrote:Interestingly, where I would write it as "Tenjyou Tenge" Oh! Great writes it as "Tenjo Tenge".
When it appears in the manga, it's always written (in the color illustrations and stuff) as "tenJHO tenge", no?
hmm, I think that's right. Very weird cuz I don't think that's a very common/standard romanization for ji+small yo+u.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

The_Shape wrote:
It has been written as both "Tenjo Tenge" and "Tenjho Tenge" - although lately, it has been "Tenjo Tenge" more often.

fugu