Need some help/ explanation

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

Reader
Yuurei
Yuurei

Need some help/ explanation

Post by Reader »

Hi there, I am a new visitor to this website. Have been using bit torrent as you suggested to d/l and am somewhat frusrated with certain downloads.

I understand you limit the d/ls for older volumes to 5 kbs? Thats fine with me but I seem to get 1kbs or 0kbs most of the time and I am using an ADSL connection so speeds of 20-30kbs should not be a prob.

When d/l the latest chapters (chapter 56), I hit 38 kbs but for the rest it was around 5-10 kbs. (I am happy with these speeds)

Now, what annoys me or maybe just makes me wonder is when I have a connection opened for the whole day (about 18 hours nonstop), why do I keep getting 1/2 kbs?

Are seeds available throughout the day? Or do they only come on when the seed is online? (no idea whats a seed - server? user? etc?)

If the files are only available when the host is online, can i have an estimate of when is that?

I am currently facing these probs with volumes 2 and 4, happy to say that I contributed about 10kbs from my d/l to others though most of the time I was/am online.

So could I have an explanation of what I am doing wrong here? (the low speeds) and could the host rectify the problem by increasing the d/l speeds a bit? say to 10kbs? no one seems to be d/l the files or hosting them, and if they were downloading, I take it that the connections should be faster.

Thanks for any help or explanations.
Reader
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Reader »

Here's another question

I have 2 d/l windows (bittorrent) open atm, one is a 40 meg vol and the other a 50 meg vol.

1st one is 73% (40 meg)done and has 2 hours remaining

2nd one is 2% (50 meg) done and has 2 hours remaining

Both are at 5 kb/s d/l with the 1st one jumping from 4-9 kb/s and vice-versa. 2nd one, constant 5 kb/s

What gives???

Is it because the 1st one has an upload of 15 kb/s ?
standa-man
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by standa-man »

Reader wrote:Here's another question

I have 2 d/l windows (bittorrent) open atm, one is a 40 meg vol and the other a 50 meg vol.

1st one is 73% (40 meg)done and has 2 hours remaining

2nd one is 2% (50 meg) done and has 2 hours remaining

Both are at 5 kb/s d/l with the 1st one jumping from 4-9 kb/s and vice-versa. 2nd one, constant 5 kb/s

What gives???

Is it because the 1st one has an upload of 15 kb/s ?
In general when downloading I never take the time predictions on downloading too literally. (I'm assuming that's what your question is about) They are predictions, and as such vary depending on a bunch of factors.

BT probably looks at things in addition to your current download speed (like what seeds/clients have what parts available) to calculate remaining time. If you have the newest client you can get a better idea of who you're connected to. The first 40 meg volume might be almost done, but the remaining parts are not available from a fast client so waiting for that might cause a predicted bottleneck on your download time.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Re: Need some help/ explanation

Post by FuguTabetai »

Reader wrote:I understand you limit the d/ls for older volumes to 5 kbs? Thats fine with me but I seem to get 1kbs or 0kbs most of the time and I am using an ADSL connection so speeds of 20-30kbs should not be a prob.
You will only get speeds of 20-30kpbs is there is enough bandwidth in the download cloud to support those speeds. When many people are downloading, that is the case. But for older, archived volumes, there are usually only 1 or 2 seeds. Both are mine, both are limited to 5 k/s. Both also hang frequently - this is a problem with the BitTorrent code for serving up multiple files. It just hangs on both of the machines I run it on. I don't know why. Neither do the BitTorrent developers.
Reader wrote: When d/l the latest chapters (chapter 56), I hit 38 kbs but for the rest it was around 5-10 kbs. (I am happy with these speeds)

Now, what annoys me or maybe just makes me wonder is when I have a connection opened for the whole day (about 18 hours nonstop), why do I keep getting 1/2 kbs?
I run two seeds. Each are limited to 5 kpbs. If they are both on (not hung - also not likely) and you are the only downloader, you should get 10 kbps down. If others are downloading also, the seeds send data to them too, so you don't get as much from the seeds. You should be getting data from the other downloaders though - unless you are behind a firewall / NAT. Boxes behind NAT/firewalls generally can't talk to other boxes behind firewalls / NATs, so those boxes tend to get worse download speeds (have to rely on the seeds only.)
Reader wrote: Are seeds available throughout the day? Or do they only come on when the seed is online? (no idea whats a seed - server? user? etc?)
If the files are only available when the host is online, can i have an estimate of when is that?
I run two seeds all the time. A Seed is just a BitTorrent client that has the full file. In my case, I don't use the GUI, I use some command line scripts distributed with the BitTorrent source. For some reason, the scripts hang on both my machines. It sucks, but that is life. They are running all the time though, so over a long enough period of time you should get something.

Before you start to whine, realize this: the other alternative is for me to not distribute the older releases.
Reader wrote: I am currently facing these probs with volumes 2 and 4, happy to say that I contributed about 10kbs from my d/l to others though most of the time I was/am online.
Thank you, that helps other people trying to get the older volumes as well.
Reader wrote: So could I have an explanation of what I am doing wrong here? (the low speeds) and could the host rectify the problem by increasing the d/l speeds a bit? say to 10kbs? no one seems to be d/l the files or hosting them, and if they were downloading, I take it that the connections should be faster.

Thanks for any help or explanations.
As I said, the scripts hang for no good reason - I've posted messages to the BitTorrent dev list, but they don't know what is up either. I don't want to dive into the code myself, so I just keep trying new releases every once in a while to see if the problem stops. There is nothing I can do to "rectify" the problem, and I won't increase the speed on the seeds - that isn't the problem. If they would just sit there and spit out 5 kbps like they should, you would have an old volume in about three hours, which isn't that terrible. Because they hang though, I can't say how long things will take.

By the way, you can always save off the .torrent file, and if you want to resume the download later, just double click the .torrent file, and choose the same save location. BitTorrent will verify what you have already, and resume the download where you left off.

fugu
Reader
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Reader »

Thanks for all the explanations! This was not meant to be a whine but merely an inquiry into the problems that I am facing.

Yeah, the hanging must be the reason for the 0 kb/s speeds. Guess I'll just have to tolerate it like the rest of the community. No problems there! :D

Thanks for hosting these files for the rest of us! And thanks for replying!
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Reader wrote:Thanks for all the explanations! This was not meant to be a whine but merely an inquiry into the problems that I am facing.

Yeah, the hanging must be the reason for the 0 kb/s speeds. Guess I'll just have to tolerate it like the rest of the community. No problems there! :D

Thanks for hosting these files for the rest of us! And thanks for replying!
No problem. I try to keep things available for people, but limited resources and all ...
zombi3d
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by zombi3d »

hey u canalways use DC++
ist real good, u can find all sorts of stuff, including tenjo tenge

i think the url is http://sourceforge.net/projects/dcplusplus

check it out