What format is TJTG translated? New here

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

SkullKnight
Tamashii
Tamashii

What format is TJTG translated? New here

Post by SkullKnight »

Is it translated by actually scanning in the page and inserting english or is there a format of just the text and page numbers.

The reason I ask is because I like the text version as a companion to the actual Manga. I did this for the first few chapters of berserk and it seemed better to do it that way. But thats just my opinion.

By the way I like the site alot. I have to say I got introduced to Tenjo tenge just by looking around. I was fortunate enough to get my hands on the vol.9 + the maya figure( very nice). After reading, I mean looking at that vol I'm very interested in knowing more. :wink:
Out of doubt, out of dark to a day's rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!
Shishio-sama
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Shishio-sama »

I think Fugu writes a script, scans, edits, inserts text. He's gone for the month though, so you have a long time to wait to hear from him unless he gets internet access.
- The Juppon Gatana -
http://www.thejuppongatana.com
*Japanese translators needed.*
standa-man
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by standa-man »

As far as I know, Fugu doesn't release text only translations for Tenjo Tenge. I'd imagine that his snazzy GMAO program he uses to translate and edit can probably output the text only for his translations though.

Like Shishio said, this question will be best answered by Fugu when he gets back.

As for the process I think Fugu actually scans, then translates, then edits/inserts text. Because he has GMAO his process is a little different from most.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

I do have text only versions of the translation. Check, for volumes 5-9, places like

http://tjtg.mangatranslation.com/TJTG_5_Trans.html

the previous volumes are squirreled away elsewhere, like

http://tjtg.mangatranslation.com/images ... Trans.html

and probably somewhere similar for the other volumes. I've never really publicized those URLs since people haven't seemed to be interested. I also have a version that is the direct image, with rollover pop-ups that show the english and japanese translation when you mouse over the text bubble. I don't publicize those URLs either.

I translate by scanning in the manga, then I use my program, GMAO, to mark where a bubble is, and I enter the translation for it. I do that for all the bubbles on the page, and then GMAO throws the text in the bubble, and I save it with the English text displayed. GMAO also makes the large text-only script, and the javascript pop-up pages. It does all of this automatically for each page, so even if I translate from home, when I am done with a page it becomes web accessible...

My wish is that people who study Japanese can use the versions with Japanese to help them in the studies, but for the most part, people only read the "scanlation" versions.

fugu
standa-man
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by standa-man »

FuguTabetai wrote:
My wish is that people who study Japanese can use the versions with Japanese to help them in the studies, but for the most part, people only read the "scanlation" versions.

fugu
I would say that your program has a lot more potential applications than just manga and could be an effective teaching/translation tool if further developed. Do similar programs even exist?
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

standa-man wrote: I would say that your program has a lot more potential applications than just manga and could be an effective teaching/translation tool if further developed. Do similar programs even exist?
It is really just an image annotation program. There are lots of programs for image annotation. GMAO is the only one that is particularly suited for manga translation with an eye for creating different versions for web publication.

I'm not aware of anything similar for manga purposes. but I haven't looked too hard.

fugu
SkullKnight
Tamashii
Tamashii

that will work

Post by SkullKnight »

:lol: that will work, thanks. Is it ok if I were to edit it and make it more streamlined. I was thinking of using ( )'s to detone bubbles and slashes for pages. That way you can get more on one page.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Re: that will work

Post by FuguTabetai »

SkullKnight wrote::lol: that will work, thanks. Is it ok if I were to edit it and make it more streamlined. I was thinking of using ( )'s to detone bubbles and slashes for pages. That way you can get more on one page.
It uses a standard XSL stylesheet for the transformation from XML, so it would be a simple matter to whip up a different style sheet. The current one is pretty boring - just something I whipped up one day to see if it would work (and in fact, I just kept reusing the same style sheet from the first volume of GetBackers...)

Anyway, it is easy to change, but since nobody really wants the scripts (at least that I have heard of) I just haven't bothered...

fugu
SkullKnight
Tamashii
Tamashii

easier

Post by SkullKnight »

it does look like it would be easier on your end. I've had moderate experience with excel but wouldn't know where to begin to change things.
I was just thinking of copy and paste into notepad or word and manuelly editing it. Seems like a lot of work yes? It wouldn't be all that bad. :wink: