Ikkitousen

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

Tommy-kun
Yuurei
Yuurei

Ikkitousen

Post by Tommy-kun »

Hmmm, how to phrase it quickly? Tenjou Tenge -plot, but with some gorgeous characters. It's more on the funny side but that doesn't mean there aren't some decent fights. Why do I mention it??

Not only because Akatsuki manga has released the first few chapters (n TenTen 10 is still a bit) but because an anime is being aired and has already been fansubbed.

Produced by HighQualityAnime translations, get it here.
Have fun, I'm still getting it.

Tom
Tommy-kun
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Tommy-kun »

Oh, and for playback you should get the XviD codec from Nic's XviD Binaries. Simply get the decoder only file.
Oh, and I saw the first episode, it's quite funny. An "inspiring" work for the future to come :roll:

=^.^=
Tom
Natsume Maya
Bushi
Bushi

Re: Ikkitousen

Post by Natsume Maya »

Tommy-kun wrote:Hmmm, how to phrase it quickly? Tenjou Tenge -plot, but with some gorgeous characters.
Same basic premise (ie high school fighting manga, some tournaments etc) but otherwise I don't think the plots are that similar. As for artwork, though, you'll soon notice that in some chapters, Shiozaki (author of Ikki Tousen) seems to just copy poses straight from Oh! great. BTW, I much prefer the manga character designs of Ikki Tousen to the anime ones.
Natsume Danjou Maya.
http://natsumemaya.net/ (new website address)
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

I have 2 volumes of the manga, and have read the other 3. Was going to post something about it, but I forgot. Ikkitousen is a major rip-off of TT (speaking in very unkind terms).

The art is sketchier than Ito's, and less attractive IMO, and like has been pointed out, contains very similar poses and many characters that remind you of TT. There is a long-haired, big, dark-skinned guy (Guess who?), a girl with glasses in school uniform who seems to hold a rather mysterious and exalted position (Guess who?), a girl with an eyepatch with an attitude problem, a powerful female master who h as the body of a child (Guess who?), a smoking, mysterious, big-brother type (Guess who?), a girl with some sort of Dragon power who is the star (Guess who?), who also has a black-haired nerdy sidekick-type character hanging around her (Guess who?), a blonde big sister-type (Guess who?), lots of cryptic pseudo-mythological references about martial arts (Chinese in general), upskirt/panty shots, and boobs. The only thing noticeably original about it (read: absent from TT) is a pretty hot character named Kwan who wields a big-ass Kwan knife and doesn't wear panties.

I'd advise to give it a miss. Granted there are still many differences between Ikkitousen and TT, and plenty of decent fight scenes, but if you've read and enjoyed TT, it's likely that every time you read Ikkitousen, you'll have the impression that you're reading some emaciated poor man's version of TT.

Kinda sad that this was adapted into an anime instead of TT.

Agent Wax

Edited to fix 'emancipated' to 'emaciated'.
Last edited by Agent_Wax on Wed Aug 06, 2003 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy-kun
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Tommy-kun »

Well, now I gotta step into it for Ikki. It has it's totaly own charm and I'm not feeling reminded of TenTen that much.
True, some things are alike but the reincarnated 5 generals plot ain't that new... not ripping off TenTen. Dragon powers, red palm style etc. are all very common to Chinese culture and martial arts. In former days mangas used mostly Japanese fighting or only light influence from China. Even stuff like Ranma had no "Chinese" fighting elements, not even poses.

You use Chinese theme, you end up with rather similar striking poses. But who complains about "fist clenched, flames burning, looking into the void" pose being the same for each time it's used? All in all, Ikki simply is fanservicy while TenTen seriously develops it's characters and plot.

And don't fret that TenTen's not an Anime, the manga is great. Oh, and Ikki has it's vrey own art style, no ripoff. You feel the mangakas more joking than Ogure-sensei :wink:

Tom
The_Shape
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by The_Shape »

I read volume 01, and even thought i liked the main character quite a bit, and LOVED the chara design/art (the Rei Ayanami look-a-like is soo hot)... i have to say i hated it overall.

The panels copied from TT pissed me off, an the writing in the manga is sooooo awful. Characters disappear, new characters appear out of nowhere and are never introduced... The plot is never really explained...

I usually don't like saying something is a rip-off, but when there are half-a-dozen panels straight out of TT and archetypes exactly like TT, it IS a rip-off.

Ikkitousen is CRAP.

Worst manga i've read this year, no question. It's in my top 10 worst manga ever. Even that piece of crap Real Bout High School is better.
Tommy-kun
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Tommy-kun »

My, my, aren't we valiant today? :roll:
I accidentially like RB Highschool, it actually pulls it of to only nEARLY show panty shots. Kinda refreshing, really 8)

And as for Ikki ripping of TenTen, oh my. Archetypes are actualy the same as in RB Highschool you could say. As for panel ripping, sometimes I just have the feeling the mangakas have the same ideas. Ikki and TenTen are actualy about the same age, so who's ripping who? :P

Don't go around trashing so wildy, Shape :wink:

And for anyone interested, Anime Keep has just released episode no2

Cya =^.^=
Natsume Maya
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Natsume Maya »

Tommy-kun wrote:And as for Ikki ripping of TenTen, oh my. Archetypes are actualy the same as in RB Highschool you could say.
I'm busy at the moment, so just a quick post. I agree that there are a lot of stereotypes in manga and I don't think you can really accuse Ikki Tousen of copying TenTen in that respect.
Tommy-kun wrote:As for panel ripping, sometimes I just have the feeling the mangakas have the same ideas. Ikki and TenTen are actualy about the same age, so who's ripping who? :P
However, with respect to specific panels, in some cases the similarities are just too great. Ikki Tousen and TenTen are not about the same age I don't think. Both are published in monhtly magazines. Ikki Tousen is probably up to about the 40s in terms of chapters. TenTen would be approaching 70.

One example: look at page 125, volume 5 of TenTen (first published in Ultrajump in July 2000), then look at page 144, volume 5 of Ikki Tousen (first published in Comic Gum about September 2002 - over two years later). Okay, perhaps that's not the best example, but still quite similar IMO. If I have some time later, I'll scan a few pics for comparison.
Natsume Danjou Maya.
http://natsumemaya.net/ (new website address)
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Well, I did DL the first two eps, and watched the first one.

Man, that is a lot of fan service. But, it is still kind of fun, so I'll keep watching it.

When I was in Japan, I did find a nice show that I liked - Tale of the 12 Countries. I wonder if anyone will fan sub that? It was based on a bunch of novels, which were turned into the (currently running) anime, which is being converted into a manga. Usually goes the other way.

fugu
dominant_badtzmaru
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by dominant_badtzmaru »

Wow, it's been a long time since I've been on this forum. Anyway! 12 countries has been fansubbed for a very long time under the name, Juuni Kokki. It's also been licensed since 2002 or so I believe. First DVD's supposed to come out in September or something, I believe. I forget what company, but if you try searching a little you might be able to find it. I really enjoyed the series as well, it's great. Speaking of animes, there's an interview on animeondvd.com with people from Studio Madhouse. One of their new projects is with Shueisha and concerns "tenjo tenyei" but I think there could be something to it, unless I'm an idiot.
The_Shape
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by The_Shape »

Junni Kokuki is already out on DVD in R1. GREEEEEAAAT show.

And yes, the Madhouse anime is Tenjho Tenge.

Maya using the shoulder crush on the toilet against Isuzu in volume 02. That's in volume 01 of Ikki. Same pose, same bouncing breasts, same framing.

The hundreds of guys in the bowling in TT. Exact same framing, exact same faces in Ikkitousen v01.

I remember one guy in volume 01 of Ikki being exactly like a quick-death bad guy in TT too.

Add the usual clich
shouki
Doushi
Doushi

Post by shouki »

I think Juuni Kokuki (licensed name is The Twelve Kingdoms I think) is a really great anime. Might not seem terribly original at episode 1, but it has really great plot development and character development, and the animation and music is good too. The world it's set in is very interesting.

Some links:
BitTorrent links for some fan-subs of more recent episodes:
http://www.cobaltnine.net/bt/
(the entire 3rd plot arc actually, which is the best so far I think)

fan-sub group:
http://12ktp.dyndns.org/
Japanese official home page:
http://www.12kokuki.com/

For a bit of background info - the series is based on a series of novels, starting in 1992, so fortunately there's quite a bit source material. I was overjoyed when I heard there was going to be a second season (eps 1-39 was first season), and the 2nd is supposed to be another 39 eps and has just started. Happy!
shouki
Doushi
Doushi

Post by shouki »

To me, Ikkitousen doesn't really feel like a rip-off. A similar setup though and I think it's definitely inferior to TT. I currently rate it 3/5 - good enough to bother with downloading and watching.

Anyone got some thoughts on the Airmaster anime? (or manga - I haven't seen any of that). I like this anime a fair bit - I'd rate many of the episodes as 4/5. The opening isn't very good, bit too many panty shots, and bouncing breasts from Mina I think, and some of the secondary characters don't add much. But the fights are generally original feeling, interesting and cool, and the fighting characters are pretty interesting.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

shouki wrote: Anyone got some thoughts on the Airmaster anime? (or manga - I haven't seen any of that). I like this anime a fair bit - I'd rate many of the episodes as 4/5. The opening isn't very good, bit too many panty shots, and bouncing breasts from Mina I think, and some of the secondary characters don't add much. But the fights are generally original feeling, interesting and cool, and the fighting characters are pretty interesting.
They had Airmaster manga all over when I was in Japan - I assume because of the anime that is out now.

Watching the anime, I think it is just absolutely horrible, but funny in a "it is so clear who their target audience is." So I have been downloading and watching it. But I'm not sure why.

GITS TV is most excellent though, I agree with that. :)

fugu
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

I visited the official site of Ikkitousen but I can't really say if it's a rip-off or not. But it doesn't even look interesting to me so I'll probably skip it.

GITS:SAC is definitely one of the best anime series to come out recently. Very nice indeed. It takes its ideas and themes seriously. I'm also into Wolf's Rain. Anyone know when Bandai is going to release the first dvd of GITS:SAC by the way?
The_Shape
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by The_Shape »

kujoe wrote:I visited the official site of Ikkitousen but I can't really say if it's a rip-off or not. But it doesn't even look interesting to me so I'll probably skip it.

GITS:SAC is definitely one of the best anime series to come out recently. Very nice indeed. It takes its ideas and themes seriously. I'm also into Wolf's Rain. Anyone know when Bandai is going to release the first dvd of GITS:SAC by the way?
SAC was extended to 52 episodes, so expect an even longer wait before Bandai starts going R1.

Wolf's Rain was a big dissapointment to me. It's so... dull. I love the soundtrack, though.
SkullKnight
Tamashii
Tamashii

TT anime

Post by SkullKnight »

So there doing a Tenjo Tenge Anime? Thats great! I watched the first ep of ikkitousen and while I thought it was more of the same, the fanservice was the only thing entertaining. Its pretty good none the less.

I can't wait until Gits is released here, I'm also eagerly anticipating Innocence. It will be interesting to know more about Batou.
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

The_Shape wrote:SAC was extended to 52 episodes, so expect an even longer wait before Bandai starts going R1.
52 episodes?! Damn. That's a lot. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not. Hope it won't drag on somewhere in the middle. Oh well.... I'm still gonna buy it! Thanks for the info.
limubear
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by limubear »

[quote="The_Shape"]Wolf's Rain was a big dissapointment to me. It's so... dull. I love the soundtrack, though.[/quote]

I support your views on ikki 'borrowing/rip-off' TT but Wolf's rain is quite good actually (soundtrack too)... just really-really slow... a big dissapointment should be Hack.//sign (this anime's storyline is moving in super bullet time)
The_Shape
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by The_Shape »

limubear wrote:
The_Shape wrote:Wolf's Rain was a big dissapointment to me. It's so... dull. I love the soundtrack, though.
I support your views on ikki 'borrowing/rip-off' TT but Wolf's rain is quite good actually (soundtrack too)... just really-really slow... a big dissapointment should be Hack.//sign (this anime's storyline is moving in super bullet time)
I don't mind slow pace, as long as the story and characters are interesting. Wolf's Rain has such dull characters that i just can't bring myself to care. Only .hack and Noir have duller characters than those.
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

hey guys, i'm new here and i have been lokking everywhere for ikkitousen manga translations, I tried irc and it seems nobody is there ( or I just to ignorant to get it right :shock: ) I've tried manganews.net, ive tried going to the Akatsuki Manga
Band of the Hawks
Korean Manga Translations websites and i can only get volume 1, can someone please help me out
limubear
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by limubear »

Have you tried going to other Scanlators channels in mircx?
I went on their channels a few days a go and mangaed to find vol 2 of ikki

unless you are a master of using irc then you gotta to learn to use the fserves... to me a while to understand it but i got it in the end and now i can find most stuff online... it helps if you know MS-DOS... i miss using DOS ahhhh..

try going to the channels of those scanlators you mentioned.
mangatranslation channel is fairly new i think i went there yesterday there was only this guy called cocozca or sumthing who didnt reply to me :(
"I will always use Google(Alt+0212) before asking dumb questions" - Bart Simpson.
Shishio-sama
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Shishio-sama »

Yeah... I just made it yesterday with Fugu's consent. (He doesn't seem to care, but hey... Another channel I rule over.)
- The Juppon Gatana -
http://www.thejuppongatana.com
*Japanese translators needed.*
Lyer
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Lyer »

-I just recently downloaded the 1st two ikkitousen eps, and if anyone can point me to where i can get the manga translations, I'd be willing to set both of them up on my fserve in the irc channel.

#mangatranslation irc.mirc-x.com
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Re: ....

Post by FuguTabetai »

Shishio-sama wrote:Yeah... I just made it yesterday with Fugu's consent. (He doesn't seem to care, but hey... Another channel I rule over.)
It isn't that I don't care - I think it is nice that there is a channel - but I don't have the time to put into IRCing. Also, I think you reach a much wider audience over the web, and distributing with BitTorrent makes the kind of bandwidth you need reasonable. By serving on IRC, you are only going to reach very sophisticated users (which is fine) but most casual users are not going to go to the trouble to install an IRC client, then navigate a confusing text-based system to wait in line for a fserv to serve them files.

I hardly even do it, and I've been using computers since before FidoNet was cool.

fugu