chapter 36 download not working

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

shouki
Doushi
Doushi

chapter 36 download not working

Post by shouki »

I can download chapter 35 by BitTorrent (tried just now), but ch 36 just stalls on "connecting to peers" forever.

Can't see anything wrong with my setup - BitTorrent is working on other stuff as well. I've tried re-starting it several times and have also tried re-downloading the .torrent file. So I suspect there's something wrong with the server/setup.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

There are currently 3 clients downloading, and one client completed downloaded (that is me of course. There always has to be at least one client to seed the process.)

You can check out http://tjtg.mangatranslation.com:6969/ to see the BitTorrent tracker (server) status. You might have to wait - any one client will only send data to 4 others at once. There are 3 currently downloading (possibly from me) so if that is the case, you might not have a slot on my client. You might not be able to connect to the other clients if they are behind firewalls, etc.

The short answer is just wait. Things are working fine on this end.

fugu
shouki
Doushi
Doushi

Post by shouki »

Ok... Thanks for the response. I'll keep trying...

btw, my system is behind a firewall and NAT (at work) so other clients can't connect to me on port 6881, which is maybe why I'm not getting any connections - ie maybe everyone is behind NAT/firewalls as well.

For anyone curious about this, see the section on firewalls/NAT in the BitTorrent FAQ:
http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/FAQ.html

It does make quite a big difference to performance if port 6881 (or the other valid ones) is open, which is what I have at home.
shouki
Doushi
Doushi

Post by shouki »

Okay... downloading now ^-^

Case closed.

PS A friend of mine used his network at university once for downloading some anime. Got 600KB/s! BitTorrent sure is nice...
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Also, it might take a while because I rate limit my machine to only about 30 K/sec ...
unfortunately, for some reason, the BitTorrent upload clients that I have seem to be having trouble... I might have to reset them. Strange. Maybe if I delete the server state and try again it will be better ...
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

hm... I have been having some problems with btlaunchmany.py - the program that starts up the 36 clients for the TJTG torrents. I've posted a message to the BitTorrent mailing list, maybe they will have some answers. There might be a newer source version that I can install to help out. who knows.

anyway, I'm trying to keep my main seeds up, but they might (or might not) work for you.
T-Bone Walker
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by T-Bone Walker »

FuguTabetai wrote:Also, it might take a while because I rate limit my machine to only about 30 K/sec ...
I have been trying to find a way to impose such a bandwidth cap on my machine, and have had no luck finding an easy way to do it. I remember reading (probabably in a readme file in one of the chapters) that you use a windows server, as I do, though different server software. How exactly did you implement this bandwidth cap? I've been meaning to save at least 5k for the downloading's upload so that I can browse with some semblence of a low latency. Any help would ba apreciated.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

The bandwidth cap is machine wide. It applies to everything, not just the BitTorrent stuff. I use a program called "Shunra ..." something or other. I forgot. I'll check it next time I'm in the office.

It is actually annoying because it caps my XWindows session as well.
shouki
Doushi
Doushi

Post by shouki »

This might be useful for some people:

http://ei.kefro.st/projects/btclient.shtml

Quote from the blurb on the page:
This is an unsupported, unofficial, and, most importantly, experimental build of the BitTorrent GUI for Windows from CVS with sliders for changing the maximum upload rate and maximum upload slots added, amongst various other patches.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Not really useful for me since I run about 36 clients as seeds for each chapter. I've requested a modification to btlaunchmany.py that would let you assign an aggregate upload rate. If I could set the BitTorrent stuff to upload at about 15 K/s total, then I could limit the website to a bit more...

BTW, how does the server work for most people? I can usually reach it from home, but it is a bit slow. Better than letting it run full throttle though, because then it hits the cap, and I can't even reach it...
standa-man
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by standa-man »

Server works ok for me. Generally I download the chaps pretty quick after release and I get average 15k/s or up (using BitTorrent of course). The message board seems a little slower for me than when the site first reopened though. It's not terribly slow or anything though.