meaning of jyuukenbu

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

standa-man
Kouhai
Kouhai

meaning of jyuukenbu

Post by standa-man »

I looked up the literal meaning... something like "soft sword group." Is that right?

Does anyone know if there's some special significance to the name? Or will this be explained later? If so, I'll just wait to read it.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

There is no signifigance that I know of.

I think though, that it is the combination of Judo (the Jyuu is from Judo) and Kendo (the ken is from Kendo) - so a combination of the Judo and Kendo styles of martial arts.

In chapter 37, some people remark that this time, the new group (Jyuukenbu) is a "real martial arts" style group. This is opposed to Katana, which was more of a street fighting gang style group (it seemed.)

fugu
standa-man
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by standa-man »

ahhh... that makes a lot of sense actually Judo + Kendo. I noticed that the "jyuu" was from Judo when I looked it up, but it didn't occur to me that "ken" would be from Kendo. Given Maya, Shin, and Aya's tendency to do both hand-to-hand combat and swords with high proficiency it's a fitting name. I noticed that Maya and Aya tend to do more throws than the other characters (except Sagara).

While we're on the topic of fighting styles, I really like the Takayanagi family style. The whole "hame hame ka" body strike with the forged needle thingy looks cool with the swirling air n all. And that lil body check where the guy goes flying, I wish I could pack that much power in my strikes. I suppose I gotta wait til I master tai chi or some other internal art.