Woohoo two chapters!

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

hitori
Bushi
Bushi

Woohoo two chapters!

Post by hitori »

Thanks Fugu.
Not a bad way to start a week. :D
oppa
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by oppa »

Definitely. I didn't expect more TenTen this soon, so these chapters became that much sweeter. Fugu rocks! As usual!
The_Shape
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by The_Shape »

I'm debating wheter i'll waste the time to download these or not.

Fugu, why are the files so big nowadays? They kept growing and growing and now they're 10 meg one chapter.

Other scan groups have chapters with 2.8 to 6.0 meg and they look pretty good. The only group i regularly see with chapters past 6 meg is Band of the Hawks.

I always have to read the pages in 40% or 50% size, and i'm on 800x600.
MDVega
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by MDVega »

Jesus, who could possibly complain about having high quality scans? The_Shape could, I suppose.

It took me 1 minute to download both chapters. If you are on a slow modem, it might take you a 1/2 hour. It's been that way since Tenjo Tenge started, I don't know where you've been. I personally prefer the large size, and I imagine many other people do too, because this manga is packed with color pages and plenty of sharp detail that would be lost in a highly-compressed file.
Rev
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Rev »

did I miss something when did aya start using her dragon eyes like a pro.

also thanks for the chapters fugu
Lyer
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Lyer »

-did anyone else notice that the artwork is really different? I'm assuming Oh Great doesn't draw for this manga anymore and that his assistants do all the work. BTW the irc channel is still around, (we finally hit dobule digits today :D) and my fserve will be on along with some others, so drop on by if BT doesn't work for you
burrowowl
Doushi
Doushi

Post by burrowowl »

The artwork changes are pretty dramatic.

As for file sizes, I'm paying for my internet connection whether I use it or not, so heck. Big props to Fugu for scanning and translating it for us!
The_Shape
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by The_Shape »

MDVega wrote:Jesus, who could possibly complain about having high quality scans? The_Shape could, I suppose.
Who are you?
MDVega wrote:It took me 1 minute to download both chapters. If you are on a slow modem, it might take you a 1/2 hour. It's been that way since Tenjo Tenge started, I don't know where you've been. I personally prefer the large size, and I imagine many other people do too, because this manga is packed with color pages and plenty of sharp detail that would be lost in a highly-compressed file.
That way since it's started? I've been here from the start. Sure, i've only checked the forum much later (not that it matters, i post what, one reply every couple days?).

Files weren't that big back then (maybe Fugu used different compression on the jpegs, maybe he used different compression on the zips). There's no noticeable difference in the quality of the scans to the other sites i visit, and while i see a full volume at 10, 18, 30 meg in some places, i see one chapter at 10 meg here. I can't see why. To see the dots in the screen tone? To see everything bigger than the tanko (get one of your TenTen tankos and look at it)?

The site didn't use bit torrent (which makes downloading x times slower - i've seen a chapter predict 3 hours on a 112kbps line, simply because there was pretty much nobody to download from). I used to download chapters in 20 minutes in the crappiest connection ever back then.

The art in TenTen was better, and so was the plot.

It adds up.

In the end, that's what forums were for - feedback and conversation. Check my previous post again and see.

I just felt now was as good a time to ask as any. Fugu always read pretty much every thread, so he would see it and answer, i assumed.
pezzy
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by pezzy »

despite the art changes which i dont really notice i still think the art is pretty nicely drawn. :D
Starakin
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Starakin »

Thank you Fugu for all the effort put in Tenjo Tenge :)
Marcus Falden
Tamashii
Tamashii

YO YO YO

Post by Marcus Falden »

Thats was tight work. ANyway thanks alot man I can't wait for the next one. and thos eguys on the bike swhere wicked cool. But one question with all this supperpowerful guys walking around howcome Mitsuomi is still in charge he doesn't show the same level of power as the F do. Well I guess they will turn him into a Brolly type guy later on or something.
All's Fair in Love and War.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

The_Shape wrote:I'm debating wheter i'll waste the time to download these or not.

Fugu, why are the files so big nowadays? They kept growing and growing and now they're 10 meg one chapter.

Other scan groups have chapters with 2.8 to 6.0 meg and they look pretty good. The only group i regularly see with chapters past 6 meg is Band of the Hawks.

I always have to read the pages in 40% or 50% size, and i'm on 800x600.
Hi Shape. The chapters have always been this big. Let's look at volume 1: 9.6 MB, 5.6 MB, 6.1 MB, 5.5 MB, 8.2 MB, 8.0 MB. Or volume 7: 9.9, 8.3, 9.1, 8.4, 15.5, 8.9.

I'm still scanning at 300dpi, then reducing the files down to 1024xY. I'll have to check what level I have the JPG compression at - 55, so that is the same as always. So in answer to your question, I don't know why the chapters are slightly bigger - but nothing has changed.

If you don't like how the files are big, well, too bad. I need the scans to be large enough that I can read the kanji, and I've found that this is the size I like.

As for not having chapters as small as other groups, I don't care about that. I do this mainly so I can translate some Japanese every day. I'm not trying to be other groups. Using BitTorrent, things download very fast if you download when the release comes out. If you don't, then it is slower. Again, I don't care about that. Distribution isn't my thing. My thing is translation.

Thanks for the feedback though. I'll take another look at jpeg2000; I might be able to reduce file sizes greatly with that, but support really isn't there yet...

fugu
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Rev wrote:did I miss something when did aya start using her dragon eyes like a pro.

also thanks for the chapters fugu
Hm, there is an explanation for that, but I guess it is coming up in the next chapter.

Also, big thanks go out to Ki Shodar did some image edits for these two chapters - the pages he edited are in the README.txt files.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Lyer wrote:-did anyone else notice that the artwork is really different? I'm assuming Oh Great doesn't draw for this manga anymore and that his assistants do all the work. BTW the irc channel is still around, (we finally hit dobule digits today :D) and my fserve will be on along with some others, so drop on by if BT doesn't work for you
Thanks for keeping the #mangatranslation channel around - I don't have any way for people that aren't on BitTorrent to get the files, so that is a big help...
Starakin
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Starakin »

I just got my copies from the channel, it was a big help.
Thanks for Lyer and Fresh =D.

time to read (hmm, nice cover)
shouki
Doushi
Doushi

Post by shouki »

FuguTabetai, I noticed a translation error: on page 25, Aya says "kawatte kudasai Souichirou-sama" (Please swap [seats] Souichirou-sama") not "wakatte kudasai Souichirou-sama" (Please understand Souichirou-sama").

Comment on distribution: maybe someone could post to alt.binaries.pictures.manga newsgroup too. Of course, not everyone has a news-feed either...

Comment on file sizes: Neat Image is a very good application to clean up digital images (digital photographs or scans) by getting rid of sensor noise. It can also help with smoothing out the dot patterns from printed images - ie de-screening.

It's only available on Windows (currently) but the free version is more than usable. I've been playing with it for the last few days and am quite happy with the results - it does a good job of removing noise while keeping the real data intact. In the reviews I've seen it also gets first place for such applications - doesn't seem to be anything better overall. Anyway, by removing noise the images look nicer - it also makes the file sizes smaller since removing noise also removes (unwanted) data.

http://www.neatimage.com/
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

shouki wrote:FuguTabetai, I noticed a translation error: on page 25, Aya says "kawatte kudasai Souichirou-sama" (Please swap [seats] Souichirou-sama") not "wakatte kudasai Souichirou-sama" (Please understand Souichirou-sama").
Ah thanks, looks like I'm turning dyslexic. It's fixed now, but only for posterity really; I won't bother to fix the zips and re-seed. It's just too much trouble.
shouki wrote: Comment on distribution: maybe someone could post to alt.binaries.pictures.manga newsgroup too. Of course, not everyone has a news-feed either...

Comment on file sizes: Neat Image is a very good application to clean up digital images (digital photographs or scans) by getting rid of sensor noise. It can also help with smoothing out the dot patterns from printed images - ie de-screening.

It's only available on Windows (currently) but the free version is more than usable. I've been playing with it for the last few days and am quite happy with the results - it does a good job of removing noise while keeping the real data intact. In the reviews I've seen it also gets first place for such applications - doesn't seem to be anything better overall. Anyway, by removing noise the images look nicer - it also makes the file sizes smaller since removing noise also removes (unwanted) data.

http://www.neatimage.com/
I'm not really concerned about file sizes. I also think the scans I use are good enough - the whites are white and the blacks are black. I wouldn't want to get rid of the screentones; that is how the art is made. More to the point, I don't want to introduce more steps into what is already a boring, tedious process. Thanks for the pointer though.

I did play around with file formats a bit before. I used to save things as 16 color reduced B&W GIFs. Believe it or not, grayscale JPGs are smaller for the images I examined, so I switched to that. I checked out Jpeg2000 the other day, but the files were larger than grayscale JPGs (my jpeg2000 encoded did not have an option to save as grayscale though.) Anyway.

fugu
dubkatz
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by dubkatz »

Where is the #mangatranslation channel located(which server) i might just set up a fserve(if that is allow) to serve TT manga on that channel during the uni break...

I also don't mind the file size(i am 56kers) because it is good for making wallpaper and possibly a winamp skin??... u just can't create good quality wallpapers and skins with low quality scans.
yatyeiboi
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by yatyeiboi »

***SPOILER***
In Shin and Mitsuomi's final fight, Shin was actually killed by his girlfriend, Mana wasn't he? But why does everyone say that Mitsuomi was the one that killed Shin. Also, If Shin would have used his Dragon's Eye technique in the final fight, do ya think he would have won? I think he woulda wiped the floor with Mitsuomi. But I know why he didn't want to use it. Also, what happened to Bunshichi. He was supposed to be the strongest in the school, yet he looks like a total bumb in the present. I want to see him fight Mitsuomi.
Chello
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Chello »

You the man FUGU!

I haven't read them yet so I didn't read any of the posts. Just wanted to say thanks for translating and I will do my part leaving the torrent open for a good while.

I'll post back here with some chapter discussion.
Lyer
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Lyer »

dubkatz wrote:Where is the #mangatranslation channel located(which server) i might just set up a fserve(if that is allow) to serve TT manga on that channel during the uni break...

I also don't mind the file size(i am 56kers) because it is good for making wallpaper and possibly a winamp skin??... u just can't create good quality wallpapers and skins with low quality scans.
-its located at irc.mircx.com, #mangatranslation, feel free to drop on by :)
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

yatyeiboi wrote:***SPOILER***
In Shin and Mitsuomi's final fight, Shin was actually killed by his girlfriend, Mana wasn't he? But why does everyone say that Mitsuomi was the one that killed Shin. Also, If Shin would have used his Dragon's Eye technique in the final fight, do ya think he would have won? I think he woulda wiped the floor with Mitsuomi. But I know why he didn't want to use it. Also, what happened to Bunshichi. He was supposed to be the strongest in the school, yet he looks like a total bumb in the present. I want to see him fight Mitsuomi.

That's wrong, Mana did not kill Shin, Shin was beaten almost to death by Mitsuomi, then he fires this ki blast thingie, but Mana jumps in between the blast and Mitsuomi, thus killing herself. After Shin has killed Mana with the blast he use HER hand and one of HER needles to kill HIMSELF ... :wink:
blackkenshi
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by blackkenshi »

I wonder why people are complaining about the art anyways. In DBZ Akira Toriyama didn't do all the artowrk but the thing he did concentrate on was the story. Besides the artwork does look pretty good still. In my opinion it looks better.
yatyeiboi
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by yatyeiboi »

Sorry about the mistake, its been a while since I read that volume, but still, he killed himself. Does everyone not know he killed himself or what? Mitsuomi gets blamed for it. Anyway who would win in a fight against Mitsuomi and Bunshichi when he was at his best. Because he beat the living daylights out of Shin while having his legs pierced. I think he have a good chance.
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

Yeah, I think DOuble Impact Tawara could kick Mitsumoi's ass ANY day ^_^

Because Mitsuomi is a total whimp, he's only very strong for a short while, so if he were to fight Bunshichi when Mutsomi ISN'T having his power rush thing, I think Mitsumoi would hit the ground faster than a very fat person sitting on a cookie jar ....
burrowowl
Doushi
Doushi

Post by burrowowl »

yatyeiboi wrote:Anyway who would win in a fight against Mitsuomi and Bunshichi when he was at his best. Because he beat the living daylights out of Shin while having his legs pierced. I think he have a good chance.
What a silly question to ask.

It's simple: Bunshichi doesn't lose fights.

What was it that Mana called his fighting style? The Undisciplined Winning Style or something? All my copies of the older chapters are zipped up on a backup medium right now.