Fight 60

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Fight 60

Post by Agent_Wax »

Hey, thanks Fugu.

Prophetically enough, I just picked up the Hong Kong Chinese Edition yesterday and read it all in one sitting. Fugu was right. There's a crapload of kanji characters in this volume that I can't recognise.

My thoughts on this volume: at the risk of attracting the wrath of some forum members, I must still say that I really like the art, and that I enjoy the story tremendously. I don't understand why people always complain that a writer isn't telling the story they want him/her to tell.

Anyway, I really liked this volume, even though the focus was on Souichirou. As always, however, the story is a lot more complex than that. What really spoke to me was the story of the Tsugumis, a tragic tale of the mistakes of the father and the price paid for them by the sons. The younger Tsugumi is a complete psychopath, and what he did to Enmi and to 'other people' (don't wanna spoil it) is in no way forgivable, but by the end of the book, I felt more pity for him than disgust. :( "There but for the grace of God..."

The older Tsugumi also cuts a forlorn figure of someone who cannot let his past rest, with all his feelings of guilt hanging around his neck and dragging him inevitably to the inescapable path that he trudges, hoping to one day make amends to all those who believed in him and whom he let down. That, and also because I've thought the spear to be a really awesome weapon since watching the beautifully shot Korean film "Musa" (starring Jung Woo-Sung, Ahn Sung-Kee, & Zhang Ziyi). 8)

Other highlights in this volume include a funny cameo by an old buddy of Tawara's, more of Souichirou's mom (& dad, I think) and Enmi (who, by the way, is really, really hot), a brief history of Nagi Souichirou, an interesting take on the 'cannon fodder' servants of the Takayanagi Clan, some fine, fine haunches (both male and female) :P , and "FEEL THE POWER OF MY SUNLIGHT FIST!!".

Agent Wax
Mr.Zero
Yuurei
Yuurei

Fight 60

Post by Mr.Zero »

Bullshit. :evil: TjTj becomes bad.Really bad.Volume 10 seems to be a good reason for stopping to read this manga.Aya and Nagi(which I really hate) are the main characters in number 10 :cry: I really miss Shin,Tawara and the young Mitsuomi.And whats about the fight against Mitsuomi?It loses the High School touch and turns into an ordinary good against evil story.
Damn you Oh!Great
P.S..I am new.Hello to everybody.
Say yes to Family,Say yes to good friends,say yes to life.
I said no to saying yes and said yes to something else
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

I also would like TJTG to return focus to some of the other characters, particularly Masataka and Bob, but I enjoyed this volume myself as well.

The name is "Tsumuji" though - not Tsugumi. Might be a difference in Japanese and Chinese transliteration.

I'm hopeful for the next volume; Takayanagi Masataka is on the cover (the preview of the cover anyway.)

I enjoyed the "Sunlight Fist" thing as well, but that wasn't in this chapter...

fugu
Rev
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Rev »

FuguTabetai wrote:
I'm hopeful for the next volume; Takayanagi Masataka is on the cover (the preview of the cover anyway.)
Oh that great, did he look cool in it? where can I see the preview cover
burrowowl
Doushi
Doushi

Post by burrowowl »

Personally I've been happy with the chapters thus far in volume 10 for a couple of reasons:

Nagi is supposed to be the main character. Oh Great has been very clear about this all along.

The plotline appears to be moving in a forward direction again (as opposed to twisting in the wind with flashback info). The direction it is heading isn't exactly where I was thinking it would go back in Volume 1, but that's the writer's perogative.

We've moved away from "Maya being mysterious" as the primary theme of the comic. IMHO the author has spent far too much time on that. We all got the point a while ago.
jacko
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by jacko »

If you ask me, this mango has a lot twists and turns, but still came out in a good, if not the best, way. My biggest gripe is the "He killed my brother" thing, when in fact, the story CLEARLY contradicts itself.

Other the dramatic but story twisting flash back, I have no HUGE gripes about the manga. The art still looks great, too.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

jacko wrote:If you ask me, this mango has a lot twists and turns, but still came out in a good, if not the best, way. My biggest gripe is the "He killed my brother" thing, when in fact, the story CLEARLY contradicts itself.
If you change that to "I blame him for the death of my brother" it is fine though. It just shows a lack of understanding on Maya's part. Which isn't unrealistic.

fugu
Chello
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Chello »

Thanks for translating it Fugu

I really liked this chapter, and it looks like an actual fight is being set up. Should be a good one with Aya and Souchirou taking on this wacked out dude.
Ger24
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Ger24 »

FuguTabetai wrote:I also would like TJTG to return focus to some of the other characters, particularly Masataka and Bob, but I enjoyed this volume myself as well.
It looks like the story is going to focus on Bob in the next volume, in the current chapter Bob is going to fight another member of F, the girl with the hat and dress.
Chello
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Chello »

This might be the first girl who Bob doesn't sleep with in a while...

Bob's cool though. Good to see him getting some time in the limelight
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

After reading Fight 60 and looking at the new style (if it is indeed new), I can at least say that the visuals are somewhat cleaner. I do admit however, that it feels different, with its different appeal and all -- but it's not that bad.

Regarding the story -- and though I miss the "fighting drama" angle -- I'm with burrowowl on this, in the sense that it's finally going forward and a lot of my questions (like the Nagi family history) could be possibly answered.

I wouldn't like the story if it focused TOO MUCH on the other characters where the story could possibly lose focus. Anyway, I think it's still early to tell how good or how bad the story wraps up.

And thanks for the translation Fugu.