Oh Great! Artbooks?

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

The_Shape
Kouhai
Kouhai

Oh Great! Artbooks?

Post by The_Shape »

Hey,

do you guys know if Oh Great! has any other artbook besides the Himiko-den one?

And what are all of his mangas? Most of his dojins and hentai stuff (Engine Room, etc) was published in Silky Whip, right? So, it would be Silky Whip, Himiko-den and Tenjho Tenge? What am i missing?

Thanks...
Ger24
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Ger24 »

His other 2 volume series Majin Devil.
standa-man
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by standa-man »

http://www.animenation.com/4568502128.html

This looks to be a how to type book that includes art by Oh! Great. I've been meaning to get a copy when I have some spare cash floating around. The other artists in the book are pretty good too. I've never actually seen the contents of the book before though so I don't know what's it like aside from the description.

And head over to snoopycool.com for Majin Devil scanslations.
django597
Yuurei
Yuurei

One more...

Post by django597 »

There's also a one-shot manga by Oh!Great entitled; Burn-Up Excess & W

Shonen Captain Comics Special
ISBN 4-19-830178-6
The_Shape
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by The_Shape »

Thanks for the replies.

I remember reading about the Burn UP manga in a Burn Up Yahoo group...

So, is this all?

Silky Whip
Maijin Devil
Burn Up
Himiko-den
Tenjho Tenge

Am i missing something? Are all his hentai titles collected in Silky Whip?

(By the way, i'm reading Maijin Devil - great stuff. Thanks for the link!)
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

What's Majin Devil about anyway?

I read the first few chapters of Himiko Den, but I didn't get into it.
standa-man
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by standa-man »

Himiko Den wasn't really all that great, but I still read all of it. I haven't seen the anime before.

As for Majin Devil, it's definitely better than Himiko Den, the characters are far more interesting, not so generic. It's basically about this nerd high school student who somehow gets caught up in the conlflicts of the supernatural world. So he has to fight monsters that are sorta like vampires, werewolves, giant bugs, et al. Being a nerd he fight with brain as opposed to brawn, which is an interesting change from the mainstream. He's accompanied by his sorta girlfriend, his aunt(?), and a small mouse monster. This is all set in present day Japan btw.

Where Snoopycool has gotten up to it doesn't feel like we've hit the main storyline yet though. The first chapters are an intro story where we follow two characters and how they got involved in the monster world. I suspect they'll show up later on. But after that intro story we're introduced to the main cast which is what I was describing earlier.

Overall, I wouldn't say you're missing much by not reading it. I enjoy it enough to want to read more, and of course it's another Oh! Great work. The art is similar to his other works except for the monster designs which don't show up that much in Tenjo Tenge except for the occasional snake/dragon/evil spirit.
The_Shape
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by The_Shape »

Same here with Himiko. I have it all sitting on my computer, and someday will get the original tankos, but still haven't finished reading it.

And the anime, manga and game are all different from each other (Great was involved on the design of all of them, then did the manga freely).

Majin Devil, on the other hand, it's GREAT (no pun intended). Not as good as Tenge, but very good still. I like the Satomi/Tetsu extended prologue better than the main storyline, but Idetora's stuff is fun and funny too.

And Tetsu and Satomi appear right at the beginning then a couple chapters later in the Idetora's storyline.

By the way, i've ordered the Himiko-den: Ijin Oogure artbook by Great (along with a couple RahXephon R2 DVDs... Hmmm... Can't wait for those, specially the RahXephon Movie Preview DVD).
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Re: Majin Devil

Post by Agent_Wax »

Fugu,

You can read Majin Devil online. I don't remember the site, but you can search for it at Noated.com.

Agent Wax
django597
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by django597 »

I forgot to mention another issue, a one shot entitled; G3
http://www.comiketservice.com/a9/955-e.htm

This issue is has become pretty rare and quite expensive. Yahoo! Japan occasionally has auctions for it, like this one;
http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b33744816

There's also a second G3 issue with a different cover... I have yet to find out if the interiors ae the same.
http://page4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d28683472

Happy Hunting!!!
The_Shape
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by The_Shape »

Nobody answered this, so i'll take another shot:

Does anyone know if all his previous hentai stuff (Engine Room, Junk Story, etcetera) was published in Silky Whip?
hitori
Bushi
Bushi

Silky Whip

Post by hitori »

'Engine Room', '5' and 'Junk Story' are three compilation tankoubons that contain Oh!Great's short stories published in the 'Hot Milk Magazine' et al.

They were split up again when the mangas were brought to the US as 'Silky Whip' and 'Silky Whip Extream' series.

So, essentially, they are the same.

The stories of 'Engine Room' and '5' make up 'Silky Whip' and 'Junk Story' is the 'Silky Whip Extream'.

I hope to one day get my hands on them, especially the Engine Room...
So far, my collection is:
Majin-Devil 1,2
Tenjo Tenge 1~8
The_Shape
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by The_Shape »

There's an auction on Junk Story on ebay right now.

Anyway, why don't you get the Silky Whip TPB? I know it's flipped, which sucks, but i think the uncensoring makes up for it...

Proteus is slow as hell, but they'll publish the whole thing in TPBs eventually...
hitori
Bushi
Bushi

Post by hitori »

The_Shape wrote:Anyway, why don't you get the Silky Whip TPB? I know it's flipped, which sucks, but i think the uncensoring makes up for it...
Proteus is slow as hell, but they'll publish the whole thing in TPBs eventually...
I don't mind the flipped format, and the non-censorship is ummmm a very very good thing (cough cough), but the problem is...IT'S EXPENSIVE. :lol:

'Engine Room' in original Japanese format is 1000 yen, equivalent to about $10.
'5' is also 1000 yen.
But 'Silky Whip' costs about $4 each...and there are about 12 (not sure) or so volumes.
That's about $20 vs $50.
And since I can read Japanese okay enough, the original versions seem more attractive to me. ^_^
But I much appreciate your suggestion; to tell you the truth, if it was a perfect world, I'd get BOTH.
The_Shape
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by The_Shape »

The first Silky Whip TPB is 14,95, if i'm not mistaken...
hitori
Bushi
Bushi

SW

Post by hitori »

The_Shape wrote:The first Silky Whip TPB is 14,95, if i'm not mistaken...
I checked the price online after reading your message.

Each Silky Whip issue seems to go for about $3.50 and the TPB you talk about is the compilation of first 4 volumes.
So I don't think the $14.95 price is justified...

Thanks for the info. 8)
Gekka
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Gekka »

Majin Devil's only 2 volumes.

Also, I've read the volume of Himiko-Den from omanga...and am wondering if anyone read that last page? To me, it seemed like Himiko-Den was not Oh Great's concept, but that he was just one of many artists doing a take upon it. So my question is, is Himiko-Den Oh Great's?
Shin
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Shin »

Of course it is..
I pretty enjoy himiko-den but i dont find it fantastic..
The same for Majin Davil..
Tenjou Tenge is just the best .. 8)
Dead is not the end...
Is just the beginnig..
The_Shape
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by The_Shape »

Shin wrote:Of course it is..
No, it is not.

Great did the designs and took care of the manga version. It's not his creation.
Shin
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Shin »

There was first the anime than the manga ??
Dead is not the end...
Is just the beginnig..
The_Shape
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by The_Shape »

Shin wrote:There was first the anime than the manga ??
Someone created the overall story and concepts, then called Great to do the designs. He did, then three different teams handled the manga, anime and game. Great handled the manga.
Shin
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Shin »

OK !!
Thanks for the new The_Shape !! :wink:
Dead is not the end...
Is just the beginnig..
Gekka
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Gekka »

ah see, that's what i thought and was sorta getting annoyed with people who were saying they didn't like himiko-den because it wasn't that great. To me, it was just a companion to the game and anime so everything was very disjointed since it seemed like you had to have watched the anime or played the game in order to have a better following of what was going on in the manga. Thanx for clearing that up The_Shape.
Natsume Maya
Bushi
Bushi

Re: Oh Great! Artbooks?

Post by Natsume Maya »

Lost this message the first time I typed it, so I've had to re-type it :(
If I've forgotten anything, too bad.
The_Shape wrote:Hey,

do you guys know if Oh Great! has any other artbook besides the Himiko-den one?
There was a rumour that another artbook would be released last year, but so far nothing else that I'm aware of.
The_Shape wrote:And what are all of his mangas? Most of his dojins and hentai stuff (Engine Room, etc) was published in Silky Whip, right? So, it would be Silky Whip, Himiko-den and Tenjho Tenge? What am i missing?
As was mentioned recently, there's the manga Air Gear, which start in Shonen Magazine back in November 2002. No tankouban has been released yet. High school age characters again, this time about roller-blading and fighting.

Apart from that, there was the short story A+ published in an earlier issue of Shonen Magazine.

There was also a short story Toshimaku Seibu Sensen West Side Street published in another issue of Shonen Magazine.

There's the short story S - song of sapphire star - published in the anthology Ultrajump Megamix, along with the works of other authors.

There may be one or two other short stories apart from that.
The_Shape wrote:By the way, i've ordered the Himiko-den: Ijin Oogure artbook by Great
That should be Himiko-den: Oogure Ito artbook (OogureIto > Oh! great).
django597 wrote:I forgot to mention another issue, a one shot entitled; G3
<snip>
There's also a second G3 issue with a different cover... I have yet to find out if the interiors ae the same.
G3 volume 1 contains various colour illustrations, illustrated articles about fetishes, rough drawings (including some of TenTen), the rough short manga Tenshi ni Cobra Twist and part 1 of the short manga Necroman. 106 pages.

G3 volume 2 contains part 2 of the short manga Necroman, more rough drawings of TenTen and the short manga Toshimaku Seibu Sensen. 70 pages.

There may also be one or two other doujinshi. In addition, Oh! great has contributed illustrations to various doujinshi.
The_Shape wrote:Nobody answered this, so i'll take another shot:

Does anyone know if all his previous hentai stuff (Engine Room, Junk Story, etcetera) was published in Silky Whip?
I don't think Silky Whip includes the short story Oneself (published in Zero-shiki Selection volume 1), the short story Hane (published in Zero-shiki Selection volume 2) or the short story Necroman (published in the G3 doujinshi).
Natsume Danjou Maya.
http://natsumemaya.net/ (new website address)
The_Shape
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by The_Shape »

Thanks for the info. I guess i'll have to pray for a short-stories tanko like the various Masakasu Katsura's ones, and the Rumiko Takahashi's ones...
The_Shape
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by The_Shape »

By the way, what's "Zero-shiki Selection"? A hentai doujin or a hentai manga?

"Shiki" always makes me think of Steel Angel Kurumi... :D Hmmm.. Kurumi by Oh Great would be pretty nice... Hahaha.
Natsume Maya
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Natsume Maya »

The_Shape wrote:Thanks for the info. I guess i'll have to pray for a short-stories tanko like the various Masakasu Katsura's ones, and the Rumiko Takahashi's ones...
That's possible, but it'll take some time, particularly since the various manga are published by various companies, eg "A+" and "Toshimaku Seibu Sensen" were published by Kodansha, "S - song of sapphire star -" by Shuiesha, "Hane" and "Oneself" by Leed Publishing etc.
The_Shape wrote:By the way, what's "Zero-shiki Selection"? A hentai doujin or a hentai manga?
Zero-shiki Selection is an anthology tankouban of hentai manga short stories selected from past issues of Comic Zero-shiki. It's published by Leed Publishing and isn't a doujinshi.
Natsume Danjou Maya.
http://natsumemaya.net/ (new website address)