People going crazy downloading TJTG images

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

People going crazy downloading TJTG images

Post by FuguTabetai »

people were going crazy archiving the TJTG javascript images. All 10 volumes, full throttle all the time.

I've restricted access until I calm down.

fugu
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

The volume 10 torrent is going really slow too, think nobody downs them and they're hust reading them ... :?
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Banorac wrote:The volume 10 torrent is going really slow too, think nobody downs them and they're hust reading them ... :?
Nobody reads at 300 K/s, with the pages out of order.

They probably are downloading from there because it is faster, but that is going to send me off on a little rant here.

I do this as a hobby, and put it up on the web for fun. I am getting nothing from all this, and don't really want anything either. But people seem to think that they are entitled to free translated manga, high quality, and fast downloads. They don't seem to understand that they are not. They should be buying the manga in Japanese, or buying a translation that is commercially available in their language, but they certainly are not owed anything.

I use BitTorrent to distribute the stuff I translate because it removes a large amount of the bandwidth burden from the server. I do limit the seeds to 10 K/s, but that means that in the worst case, you should get the volume in about 1.56 hours - call it 2 hours even (assuming 55 MB a volume.) If other people are DLing at the same time and uploading, you will get it faster. Much faster when there are 6+ people.

I don't think it is too much to ask that people wait about 2 hours for their manga. It really helps me - if I didn't use BitTorrent I probably wouldn't be able to keep this site up - and it isn't a massive inconvenience.

The real pisser is that I want to keep the javascript downloads up for people that want to read in Japanese (for example, language learners who can try to see what something means, then mouse over to see what I translated it as) - but it will be very hard for me to do that if people keep indiscriminately downloading the stuff.

Generally it isn't a problem because the vast majority of people don't read anything (not the forums for sure - I'm not talking about people that hang out here) just go right to where it says "download", and go nuts. If it is in BitTorrent, fine, I can put a limit on bandwidth. But once someone posts a direct link to the javascript translations (which I think also are fun for people to stumble across when they check out the character pages or whatever) the number of hits go up, and things start going nuts. It would just be nice if people would be a bit more considerate. I don't mind when people read the pages - that isn't bad. It is when they use flashget or whatever without imposing some limits (bandwidth, pauses between pages, whatever) that it is really annoying.

I guess that is it. Ranting here doesn't really help because anyone that reads this wouldn't be the type of person to just start hammering on the server, but whatever.

fugu
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

They should be buying the manga in Japanese, or buying a translation that is commercially available in their language, but they certainly are not owed anything.
I buy them in French, but as my French is kinda bad and I'm rather good in English ( much better than my French anyway ), I download them from your site, so I can understand them better, for which I am thankful by the way :wink:
The real pisser is that I want to keep the javascript downloads up for people that want to read in Japanese (for example, language learners who can try to see what something means, then mouse over to see what I translated it as) - but it will be very hard for me to do that if people keep indiscriminately downloading the stuff.
Passwords, hand out passwords to people who study Japanese, ...

You might even start a comunity to translate faster, now you do all the work alone, it would go much faster if you had other people helping you.

But it's your baby, so you name it :D
hitori
Bushi
Bushi

cheers

Post by hitori »

Hey Fugu,

I know what you're saying.
I used to translate and post a couple monthly published manga on the web.

This was before I started using paid hosting so my pages were on various free services.
The low traffic caps and small account spaces were fine because I usually did pretty minor stuff... until the leechers arrived.
They used download managers to scan the links and just sucked all the images out.
The free hosting companies dropped me and I had to move to other services, but the leechers were still there.

I grew tired of people being so insincere and demanding.
Not just the leechers, but even the loyal fans of the manga who kept on asking for updates or fast and stable downloads.

It's a dilemma, because as a translator, you are a fan of the work and you want to share the goods with many people.
You feel great as your site slowly grows with regular visitors and more traffic.
But after a certain point, things start losing the charm a little.
I began to wish for "the good ol'days" when a few friendly people gathered and helped each other out.

But you know, I've had a friend of mine visit my place and when he saw Tenjou Tenge comics on my bookshelf, immediately asked me if I knew about MangaTranslation.com.
You are THE guy spreading Oh!Great's message of... uh... panchira and fun overcharged action to the English speaking world.
Without this site many a people would still be clueless what paizuri was.
Thank you for providing this site: I hope things work out and hope you're able to keep this place running for a long time to come.
Cheers.
The_Shape
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by The_Shape »

It
co0l
Tamashii
Tamashii

ummm

Post by co0l »

maybe I wasn't here back if this was ever discussed but how about using torrents and irc only? *shrugs* I see quite a few fserves hosting your Tenjo Tenge on the mirc-x server and on irc, you know which people there are actually contributing instead of just leeching

it IS actually your choice to close down the site if you wish but I'm sure that a gazillion people out there, including me, would cry if you do that cuz my japanese skills are non-existant -_-;;

actually maybe it's possible to do something like edit in the english (squeeze it the bubbles in or fit it on sides, tops, bottoms?) and leave the japanese on the same page and re-release that vol for people who really want to learn japanese kanji to learn it that way? *shrugs* that way, they would just download it from BT or irc and no more going back to this site and using bandwidth to check the page with the jap kanji still on

and The_Shape, yes, people who do charity aren't doing it FOR thanks or money. they're doing it out of good will but it's still very nice to get some thanks from ppl as encouragement. And fugu should know that everytime I read tenjo tenge, I thank him from the bottom of my heart XD

actually, from the definition from dictionary.com, it doesn't say anywhere about it being free or not expecting anything in return lolz.

*edit*
sry typo
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Ah, it was just a rant - I'm pretty happy with how things are. Anyway, I'll refrain from ranting in the future since it is causing a bit of a ruckus. Nice to see people posting though. :)

I like the people in IRC over on #manga-translation - it's really cool of them to host stuff...

fugu
mystavash
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by mystavash »

The_Shape wrote:
Just close the website.
People aren't simple. Dave put a lot of heart and effort into creating GMAO so that everyone could have a variety of options to choose from, and he continues to work hard to improve it. That's not something that should be dismissed lightly, but I think gets overlooked a lot because people aren't aware of the program.

He also has more than earned the right to do whatever makes him happy, and I doubt being forced to shut down the site because of leechers is what will do that. That's pretty much the worst possible way to go. I'm sure there's another perfectly viable solution.

Of course, if Dave started translating, say, SHOJO manga instead of this fanservice stuff, I'm sure leechers wouldn't be so much of a problem. :lol:

Anisa.
Coordinator, Get Backers Manga Translation Project
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

mystavash wrote: Of course, if Dave started translating, say, SHOJO manga instead of this fanservice stuff, I'm sure leechers wouldn't be so much of a problem. :lol:

Anisa.
Yep, you got me there. I've brought it upon myself. :)

fugu
SkullKnight
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by SkullKnight »

I"ve seen tenjo tenge on a few other sites as being a vol 1-10 bt. I've also seen it on ebay. I can't help but think that the person who's trying to make money on something you do for free is a real SOB.

you got a donation fund?
paypal works well.
I've donated to another fansub community before because... well I don't feel right getting all this for free and not doing anything back.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

nah, I don't do this for money.

some people have mentioned TJTG showing up on ebay before. That sucks. People should just download it for free, after buying the Japanese books.

But certainly they shouldn't pay for the translations I've done.

cheers,

fugu
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

Well, I owe Fugu a big one, without him I wouldn't even know about Ten Ten ! Thx buddy :wink:

And ... paizuri ? :?

On other news : like the new logo-thingie on the forum ^_^
SkullKnight
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by SkullKnight »

I second the image. whats it from?
Out of doubt, out of dark to a day's rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

SkullKnight wrote:I second the image. whats it from?
A random promotional insert that came along with VGD 5 - I mean, really random. I don't recall if it was directly advertising for something or not. I could go back and check, but I think it was just "Random cute girl."

and I like her too. Drawn by Chiyoko, whoever that is (so that's what I called her.)

fugu
Lyer
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Lyer »

-I haven't been here in a while, but im gonna plug irc (since i spend most of my time there)

#manga-translation
irc.mircx.com

There's plenty of people serving almost all the time and with the exception of release days, irc is faster than BT.
(Yes I get my new releases through BT, its actually quite fast when there's a crapload of people)
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

actually, the BT downloads might be faster now. I've changed things so that the seeds are running azureus (a really nice client) and that has options to limit the entire group of torrents. So 100 K/s to all torrents, but my seeds only kick in when there are less than 1 seed for each person. Hopefully that means that my seeds will seed where there are few people, and not seed when there are lots of people allready, making everything faster.

I have no idea if that is actually what happens though.

fugu
Cless
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Cless »

First of all thank you for hosting the downloads, I've extremely grateful for such a good manga. TJTG has me hooked for 2 days now, I've finished two volumes so far but there is a problem with the torrent of the third volume, it seems that there is some error during connection. It says "IOError - [Errno 13] Permission Denied. It was working fine yesterday then it was slow as hell today, about 0k/s to 1k/s 2k/s if im lucky. Then right now it just gave me this error. Is this my problem or did you take off the torrent? Please exaplin, thanks.

Oh shit I think I was banned for a mistake I made on irc. I typed a slang in the wrong box, and left thinking i left a different chat room, but didn't think it was worth the time to go back and appologies for, if that's the reason could you please tell me when the ban will be raised?
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

I don't ban people.

The torrents are all running. You can check http://tjtg.mangatranslation.com:6969/ for status on each of the torrents. You might have a problem on your end.

I did recently switch over to using Azureus for the seeds instead of btdownloadmanycurses.py - the overall speed should be faster, but it might not be. I need people to tell me so I will know if I should switch back or not.

cheers,

fugu
Cless
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Cless »

ic, that's odd, this morning just now, it began downloading again, 2 seeds no peers at 2k/s (I'm on cable, and this is pretty slow..), just now it closed on its own and when i tried to reconnect, same problem occurs, the you do not have permission error. I got volume 1 and 2 fine by it was 95% from peers..and right now there are no peers, perhaps the seeds are not working properly?
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

I'm downloading Ten Ten 10 ( how confusing :D ) as I type, I've got 6 % and ONLY 30 MINUTES TO GO !!! Last week I tried and it would have gone on from 30 to 90 minutes :?

So, it's a lot better Fugu ;)
Cless
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Cless »

ok i tried to download volume 4 to a different directory and it begins but remains at 0k/s, connected to 0 seeds and 0 peers, however when i download it to the same directory as the partially done folder, it just doesnt work, permission denied..it says
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Cless wrote:ok i tried to download volume 4 to a different directory and it begins but remains at 0k/s, connected to 0 seeds and 0 peers, however when i download it to the same directory as the partially done folder, it just doesnt work, permission denied..it says
Hi Cless,

Try checking the link to the tracker. This link http://tjtg.mangatranslation.com:6969/ will tell you how many peers and seeds there are for all the torrents I run. Unless there is a 0 in the complete column, there is a seed.

I keep an eye on the tracker; there definitely are no permission problems. You are having client issues, and I can't really help you out with those.

good luck,

fugu
Cless
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Cless »

yeah I did check that link and it was fine, it just keeps working and not working, maybe it's the new bt im using..anyways i'll keep trying..damn manga too addictive..

man i think it was the bt program that i was using, damn it i should've never switched to this shadows whatever tf version and stuck to bt 3.3. It's working perfectly and i'm getting an all time high for tjtg of 5k/s!
Hotaru
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Hotaru »

I just downloaded from BT and read all 10 volumes in one one day. Geez...I couldn't stop this manga is too addictive !!! Keep it up ^^