News on Tenjo Anime

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

Personbot
Yuurei
Yuurei

News on Tenjo Anime

Post by Personbot »

I was just visiting the Madhouse website www.madhouse.co.jp and they have put up news on the Tenjo Tenge anime but since my Japanese is still at a very beginner level I have no idea what
Sacrin
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Sacrin »

DANM MY INABILITY TO READ JAPANESE! (yet... >_> )
If it's going to be made by Mad House, that should be freaking awsome! I can't wait...
"Fithos lusec wecos vinosec"
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Ask and ye shall receive...

Post by FuguTabetai »

2004/2/25 An Anime version of "Tenjo Tenge" has been decided! (Settled on, some decisions were made about it, that kind of thing. --fugu)

The comic "Tenjo Tenge" by Oh! Great is currently being serialized in Ultra Jump. The anime version is currently in production by Madhouse studios. The stage is the fighter's palace, Toudou Gakuin (the school they attend --fugu), and the Jyuukenbu (Maya's club --fugu) where we first meet the main character (dammit!!--fugu) Nagi Souichirou and other beautiful characters whose magnificent fighting skills unfolds before us (very flowery language here --fugu) in this (fighting --fugu) action school (which is, it seems, an action genre --fugu) story. It is being supervised by Kawase Toshifumi of "Expoloding Shot Bay Blade" and "Dragon Blade", and will start airing in April. Get ready for it!

--

So, no real information beside the April target broadcast date, and that Kawase Toshifumi is in charge (it said he is in charge, not that he is director or anything.)

Cheers,

fugu
Natsume Maya
Bushi
Bushi

Re: Ask and ye shall receive...

Post by Natsume Maya »

FuguTabetai wrote:So, no real information beside the April target broadcast date, and that Kawase Toshifumi is in charge (it said he is in charge, not that he is director or anything.)
While those kanji "kantoku" may have a more general meaning, I would've thought that when used in the context of staff credits, they mean "director". They're the kanji I always see used for the role of director.
Natsume Danjou Maya.
http://natsumemaya.net/ (new website address)
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

I don't know much about anime. You might be right.

fugu
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Re: Ask and ye shall receive...

Post by Banorac »

FuguTabetai wrote:2004/2/25

where we first meet the main character (dammit!!--fugu) Nagi Souichirou and other...

fugu
Why dammit ? It's the same in the manga :?
Nicholas D. Wolfwood
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Nicholas D. Wolfwood »

The real question is will it be as graphic and awesome in the anime as it is in the manga. I hate it when they water things down :(
Sacrin
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Sacrin »

Well it's Japan...They don't realy water down anything. Not saying it doesn't happen, just not very often (or very much). If anything, there might not be as many bare breasts. Mad House is one of the big anime companies. They had made a lot of quality anime. I think they will do a great job! ^_^

Also, as soon as I can get my gready little hands on it, I'll make a post on where to get it. Got to spread the love... 8)
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

I would like to see the raws if you know where to get them. I generally don't know that kind of thing.
Sacrin
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Sacrin »

Ya, once it starts coming out I can get you raws and/or fan subed (but I wouldn't think you'd need them... :D ). I get anime all the time! Only recently have I started getting manga. It seems a little easier to get now. I take it you'll add a section in TT's page talking about the anime version, I can get screen shots, links to get them, and such...
Starakin
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Starakin »

one organized group that's releasing raws of some latest titles is [l33t-raws]. You can also find random raws at http://anime.mircx.com
Sacrin
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Sacrin »

I use a lot of different places like Direct Connect (DC++), www.animesuki.com, and www.baka-updates.com . Just to name a few...
But they don't usualy have many raws (minus DC).
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Thanks, Japanese raws unsubbed would be fine for me. If you see that they are available somewhere, please let me know.

I doubt that I would make a section about the anime here - I don't really have time to do web stuff. You should have noticed by now that all the "content" here is generated automatically by various programs from the translations I do. Otherwise, I stay as far away from web stuff as possible.
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

Am I the only one who thinks it odd that, with the air date less than a month away, there has been next to zero publicity for the series? :?
I mean, think about it: no official advertisements or posters, no completed screenshots, no character design and sketches, no announcements about the seiyuu cast, no trailer.

Gantz has almost the same airdate, but there is already a cool online trailer and published character sketches in Weekly Jump. It's almost as if Madhouse has no confidence in their own work or is hiding something. I just hope the fans don't end up with a nasty shock when it finally airs, like maybe Bob isn't in the series or Aya is flat-chested or something.

Agent Wax
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

I was wondering about the same thing as well. Perhaps this is a sign that will be delayed? I don't know. All I've seen is that uncolored pic of Nagi's face--which doesn't really say much. I'm really curious how the look of Tenjo Tenge would look in color in this anime.
Natsume Maya
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Natsume Maya »

Agent_Wax wrote:I mean, think about it: no official advertisements or posters, no completed screenshots, no character design and sketches, no announcements about the seiyuu cast, no trailer.
There have been draft character designs published, but in Ultrajump magazine.

Broadcast:
Station: TV Asahi
Time: 2.42am
Commencement date: 2 April 2004

Staff:
Original work: Oh! great :)
Director: Kawase Toshifumi
Series composition: Inoue Toshiki
Character design: Umehara Takahiro
Sound direction: Honda Yasunori
Anime production: Madhouse
(All worked on Dragon Drive)

Cast:
Natsume Maya: Hisakawa Aya
Natsume Aya: Chihara Minori
Nagi Souichirou: Hoshi Souichirou
Bob Makihara: Miki Shinichirou
Takayanagi Masataka: Seki Tomokazu
Tawara Bunshichi: Yao Kazuki
Kounoike Chiaki: Shiraishi Ryouko
Takayanagi Mitsuomi: Morikawa Toshiyuki
Isuzu Emi: Terada Haruhi
Ryuuzaki Tsutomu: Hamada Kenji
Sagara Kouji: Miyake Kenta

Opening theme song:
Performed by: m.c.A T

Ending theme song:
Title: "Aishitene motto"
Performed by: Kayo Aiko
CD single:
Release date: 14 April 2004
Catalogue number: AVCD-30555
Price: 1,200 yen

Personally, I'm not expecting much from the anime.
Last edited by Natsume Maya on Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:19 am, edited 3 times in total.
Natsume Danjou Maya.
moyism
Senpai
Senpai

Post by moyism »

Thanks Natsume for posting who the various VAs are gonna be! Interesting choice for voice actors/actresses. All of 'em "veterans" in the anime business, so the characters' voices *should* be good. :D

Hisakawa Aya as Maya... hmmm.... gotta see it. She can definitely play the serious parts if need be (Yuki from Fruits Basket and Haruka from Rahxephon) and any comedy she'll nail (Azumanga Daioh and Kaliedo Star). Can't wait. :)

Chihara Minori er.... off-handily no clue who she is. LOL. Better be good though since he's voicing Aya and all. :twisted:

I can't see Hoshi Souichirou (aka Kira from Gundam Seed) being Nagi. I see Nagi having a more "bad-ass" voice. Hoshi has more of a girly/whiny voice than anything I can think of as "tough." Then again, Hoshi Souichirou played one of the main guys from Argent Soma and Scryed who acted sorta "bad-ass." LOL.

Miki Shinichirou as Bob should be pretty cool. Kurz Weber from Full Metal Panic and the like. Miki usually voices a lot of serious-type characters so when TenTen hits the history and drama, should be good. It'll be interesting how Miki and Hoshi play off one another (since Nagi and Bob are like brothers). Miki and Seki, on the other hand, should work well for Bob and Masataka as the two actors have worked on Full Metal Panic and Weiss Kruz together playing close characters. so yea.

Seki Tomokazu as Masataka... not bad not bad. Seki is like in every anime now a days, so his take on Masataka should be pretty decent. I'm thinking something like Shinbo from Chobits type of acting. Has his moments in being in the limelight but moves back when the main guy (aka Nagi) has his scenes.

... if anything, I definitely gotta see how Nagi gets played. Only one I'm not really comfortable with (then again, never liked Nagi THAT much :wink: )
Natsume Maya
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Natsume Maya »

Agent_Wax wrote:Am I the only one who thinks it odd that, with the air date less than a month away, there has been next to zero publicity for the series? :?
I think there could be a number of factors that could explain this:

1. Madhouse generally doesn't give out a lot of details. Monster is starting out in April as well. That's being animated by Madhouse as well. Same thing: little publicity, no website or trailer, not even an announcement as to seiyuu, which TenTen recently got.

2. TenTen is seinen, not shonen. Shonen shows probably tend to be advertised more because the shonen anime audience is larger and perhaps because companies have related goods and toys, games etc to market. Then again, Gantz would be seinen as well...

3. Related to point 2: TenTen is being broadcast on TV Asahi, not TV Tokyo. TV Tokyo is the main terrestrial broadcaster of anime, but it's less likely to broadcast seinen stuff as opposed to shonen. You don't tend to see as many websites created by TV Asahi in relation to anime. In any event, even TV Tokyo is only just starting to set up its websites for its April anime.
moyism wrote:Hisakawa Aya as Maya... hmmm.... gotta see it. She can definitely play the serious parts if need be (Yuki from Fruits Basket and Haruka from Rahxephon) and any comedy she'll nail (Azumanga Daioh and Kaliedo Star). Can't wait. :)
I see Hisakawa as a strange choice, but I tend to think of her for her cute roles, and perhaps she was chosen because she's able to play mature roles (eg Haruka in RahXephon) and cute roles (eg Kero-chan in CCS). She'll presumably voice chibi-Maya as well - so that may explain why they wanted someone who can do cute voices.
Chihara Minori er.... off-handily no clue who she is. LOL. Better be good though since he's voicing Aya and all. :twisted:
Official website:
http://minorin.chu.jp/

I think this could be her first role as seiyuu.
I can't see Hoshi Souichirou (aka Kira from Gundam Seed) being Nagi. I see Nagi having a more "bad-ass" voice.
I had the same thought.
Seki Tomokazu as Masataka... not bad not bad. Seki is like in every anime now a days
He's one of my favourite seiyuu. Very versatile. Don't have a problem with him as Masataka.
Natsume Danjou Maya.
moyism
Senpai
Senpai

Post by moyism »

Natsume Maya wrote:I see Hisakawa as a strange choice, but I tend to think of her for her cute roles, and perhaps she was chosen because she's able to play mature roles (eg Haruka in RahXephon) and cute roles (eg Kero-chan in CCS). She'll presumably voice chibi-Maya as well - so that may explain why they wanted someone who can do cute voices.
hey, could be worse..... how Ogata Megumi (Shinji from Eva)? That would be a tid weird, though I gotta admit I think she could pull off that sexy tone that would be needed for Maya (UFO Princess S2 has convinced me). 8)
Official website:
http://minorin.chu.jp/

I think this could be her first role as seiyuu.
Cool, thanks.
He's one of my favourite seiyuu. Very versatile. Don't have a problem with him as Masataka.
yep, same. He has had some really cool roles in the past, so I'm not expecting anything less from him.
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

Natsume Maya wrote:1. Madhouse generally doesn't give out a lot of details. Monster is starting out in April as well. That's being animated by Madhouse as well. Same thing: little publicity, no website or trailer, not even an announcement as to seiyuu, which TenTen recently got.
Well if you think about it, publicity--in the form of ads or websites--also helps generate hype. I think the name "Madhouse" is enough for that. :wink: But yes, it's still advisable not to expect too much however.

Hisakawa as Maya, huh? One of my favorites actually, but I have to hear for myself how she'll perform in this role. Having acted for various younger and mature roles alike, I think she'll do well. And seeing that Maya is a relatively strong and independent female character, I'm sure Hisakawa is on familiar ground.

No problems with Seki Tomokazu as well. As for Nagi's voice actor, he seems to fit for me--just needs to adjust a little perhaps. Personally, I didn't imagine Nagi as having a "bad ass" voice--well, not too much I guess--just the adolescent genki type that's got a bit of an edge.
burrowowl
Doushi
Doushi

Post by burrowowl »

kujoe wrote:No problems with Seki Tomokazu as well. As for Nagi's voice actor, he seems to fit for me--just needs to adjust a little perhaps. Personally, I didn't imagine Nagi as having a "bad ass" voice--well, not too much I guess--just the adolescent genki type that's got a bit of an edge.
Personally I thought of about 1/3rd of Nagi Souichiro's dialogue as a "screech" from Saved By The Bell, and the other 2/3s as the chickenhawk from the Foghorn Leghorn cartoons.
moyism
Senpai
Senpai

Post by moyism »

I was thinking that Onosaka Masaya (Vash from Trigun) would make a pretty cool Tawara Bunshichi. Onosaka Masaya plays a lot of comedy-yet-at-times-serious characters and has a deepish voice that IMO would work for Bunshichi. :D
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

moyism wrote:I was thinking that Onosaka Masaya (Vash from Trigun) would make a pretty cool Tawara Bunshichi. Onosaka Masaya plays a lot of comedy-yet-at-times-serious characters and has a deepish voice that IMO would work for Bunshichi. :D
Couldn't agree more ^^

Anyway, question ... I know what Sh
Natsume Maya
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Natsume Maya »

[quote="Banorac"]Anyway, question ... I know what Sh
Natsume Danjou Maya.
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

[quote="Natsume Maya"][quote="Banorac"]Anyway, question ... I know what Sh
Tachibana
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Tachibana »

here's a scan from Animage mag (thanks to BOH)

of course, can't read or understand a darn thing
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

Jesus! Not bad, not bad at all. Looks good overall--as long the quality stays consistent throughout the entire series. Can't read either--too much kanji and lack practice. I really hope those are the actual anime designs.

Thanks for showing it. :)
Dembol
Doushi
Doushi

Post by Dembol »

hmm....looks good.
But why Aya's hair are so light-coloured? Weren't they dark in the manga??

....whatever. I'm still looking forward to the series.
Hopefully somebody'll quickly sub them into english, cause I can't understand Japanese at all :P
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

Hm ... 't might be too soon to start worrying, but why isn't Bob on that pic ? :? Since he and nagi are supposed to be the main characters in the manga ...

Wonder why they chose to give Aya red-brown hair in stead of dark brown - black ...
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Just some notes on the characters (Can Souichirou oppose the Enforcement group? To save energy, Maya takes on the form of a little girl. Natsume Maya, a first year student in the Jyuukenbu has the power of the Dragon's Eye.) and I can't read the pink text because it is light and pink.
9TF
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by 9TF »

Try inverting it...

Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

Still looks illegible, but could help I guess ...
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

I can read the original - inverting doesn't really help much. It is just a pain - the scan is a bit small to make out the complicated kanji and light. So I'll just give you what I get from skimming, skipping anything that is blurry, and I won't bother to look up anything.

headline is "Extremely popular school-fighting action Tenjo Tenge" the new students that have come to Toudou Gakuen where fighting prodigies assemble, ... this is a dramatic rendition of the story of the hero Souichirou and his opposition to the Enforcement group with the Jyuukenbu and his past ... a powerful seishun (youthful) fighting action story. It is created by Oh! Great where the comic is currently being serialized in Ultra Jump. We are introduced to the characters with the Natsume Sisters ... cute popular fighting action best seller. Just how far will the fast-paced anime version be able to convey the charm of ...

no way in hell I'm going to try to read all the names in the staff / credit box. skimming stuff like the above is easy, names just suck. btw, I've omitted some stuff in the above too. like I said, just skimming. but mostly just PR copy it looks like.

fugu
Sacrin
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Sacrin »

I think it looks great! It's great to finally see some drawings. You can tell they changed the style a little, but it should still be good. Also, people should remember these are just sketches. A lot of times the look changes once it's done. I would also like to point out that Aya's hair is a light brown, and always was. I think it's just hard to show that in black and white. I still have high hopes for it (Japan doesn't screw up adaptations as much as America...).
Natsume Maya
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Natsume Maya »

Banorac wrote:Hm ... 't might be too soon to start worrying, but why isn't Bob on that pic ? :?
This month's (Japanese) Newtype shows more character designs, including for Bob, Masataka and Mitsuomi. They're all just basically the same as the draft character designs previously published in Ultrajump, ie I don't really like them :P
Mitsuomi in particular looks terrible IMNSHO :P
FuguTabetai wrote:no way in hell I'm going to try to read all the names in the staff / credit box. skimming stuff like the above is easy, names just suck.
The box merely confirms the director, character design, anime production and cast details which I posted earlier in this thread.
Natsume Danjou Maya.
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

Sacrin wrote: I would also like to point out that Aya's hair is a light brown, and always was. I think it's just hard to show that in black and white.
:D

REALLY NOW ?

And you're sure about that?

:twisted:

Sorry ^^
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

Aya having light brown hair seems to be a decision made with functional purposes in mind. If I was the character designer, I'd say it's some sort of a trademark that makes her more prominent or recognizable on the screen. Well, whatever. . .I still prefer her hair in dark brown even though it's quite generic.

There are bound to be differences but hopefully they will not be too far off. If I were going to be picky about something, I'd complain about the absence of that intricate dragon pattern that was supposed to be on the inner layer of Nagi's coat. But then again, I realize that would be a needless hassle to animate from time to time.
Sacrin
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Sacrin »

Almost everyone
9TF
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by 9TF »

lets hope they don't make it a standart 13eps..that would be a waste.. :?
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Sacrin wrote:I'm guessing they might through in the inner lining of his coat somewhere. Besides you don't see it much in the manga anyways.
I don't believe that his normal coat has the silk dragon stuff on it - I was under the impression that was a special coat he wore when he wanted to say "Because I'm supposed to be the hero" - that line, btw, was very funny. At that point in time, I thought Masataka would be the hero, but a little self-referential humor showed me. Anyway, the only time we saw the lining is when we were supposed to see it as part of that gag, so I suspect it will be similar in the anime.

pretty damn cool though.

fugu
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

I remember something about a drawing inside his coat of a Samourai of some sort, could be an other manga, but I doubt it :?
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

Yeah I know that dragon design was not shown often but still--that would've made a good advertisement or something. What keeps me wondering though is whether Nagi will have different hairstyles at each episode. I have no idea if that was supposed to be a joke on the character or whatever, but it would be surely one of those things I'd look out for when a new episode comes out.
Natsume Maya
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Natsume Maya »

I've updated the cast and other details above. Also, I think you can hear a sample of the ED if you visit Kayo Aiko's website (link above).
Natsume Danjou Maya.
Spawn
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Spawn »

Natsume Maya
Bushi
Bushi

Anime has been licensed

Post by Natsume Maya »

Geneon USA has the rights to the Tenjou Tenge anime.

BTW, those pics posted by Spawn are from the latest issue of Newtype magazine (not Newtype USA).
Natsume Danjou Maya.
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

Oh, Good God... :shock:

Mitsuomi looks like a chippendale bouncer/stripper (Wait. He looks like that in the manga too. Never mind). Masataka looks 12. And I didn't think that it would be possible, but someone's actually succeeded in making Bob look gay...

Plus Maya and Aya look like they've had some reduction work done...

Man, that Ikkitousen anime's starting to look pretty good now. Let's just hope the finished product is actually better.

Agent Wax
Dembol
Doushi
Doushi

Post by Dembol »

Yeah...Bob looks quite queer on that picture :( and I always thought that he was a huge guy with big muscles...
Reduction in boobs department...that's actually good news, cause in the manga sometimes they were really too big=not proportional to the rest of the body (which is often not nice to look at, but still better than small boobs ;) ).

Masataka looks kinda like Hikaru from HnG, especially the B&W face pic.

A_Wax: Ikkitousen??
Zhou
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Zhou »

I was taking a look at the seiyuu list, and I'd like to know: who is this Nao Kazuki guy who will voice Tawara Bunshichi?

Are you sure it's not Yao Kazuki, who voiced Dark Schneider on Bastard!? Now he would be a great seiyuu for Tawara.
Isuzu
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Isuzu »

Terada Haruh will be a great seiyuu for Isuzu-sama... she did Ranamon and Calmaramon on Digimon Frontier, whose voices I really liked. I think she's a perfect choice, I can't wait seeing and hearing Isuzu, heh heh. :]
moyism
Senpai
Senpai

Post by moyism »

Zhou wrote:I was taking a look at the seiyuu list, and I'd like to know: who is this Nao Kazuki guy who will voice Tawara Bunshichi?

Are you sure it's not Yao Kazuki, who voiced Dark Schneider on Bastard!? Now he would be a great seiyuu for Tawara.
damn, guess my hope for Onosaka Masaya as Bunshichi felt through. Mitsuomi's VA... Morikawa Toshiyuki, dunno. Only think I know him from is Alex from Last Exile. :?