Tenjo Tenge 11 !!

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

sword
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by sword »

i went there at 3...they have it.
burrowowl
Doushi
Doushi

Post by burrowowl »

Thanathos wrote:umhh, just asking, don't get angry or PRESSED...:P

but, when the translation will be out??
When three key conditions are met, Fugu will release translations from Volume 11:

When Fugu is
1. Damned
2. Good
and
3. Ready
we will get them.

Patience, grasshopper. It only hit the streets in Japan yesterday. Give the man some time. If we have a chapter of it before May I'll be pleasantly surprised. Note that he needs to buy the thing, read it for personal enjoyment, scan it, be satisfied with his scans, fire up the GTaO, translate it, figure out whether he got the funky esoteric martial arts references right, edit it, and then seed it. That's a lot of work, and all of it has to wait until his local Kinokuniya gets a copy and he has some free time.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Picked up vol. 11

Post by FuguTabetai »

If people are curious, I did pick up volume 11 a few minutes ago. I actually missed it, and wouldn't have got it all if another guy browsing hadn't heard me complaining to my friend that they didn't have it yet. The guy mentioned that it was over on the table, and what do you know, it was. I had just missed it.

Also picked up April's Ultra Jump just on the off chance it had anything fun in it.

Of course, I'm off to play basketball now though, so I don't think anything will happen with volume 11 for a while - I've got a busy schedule now too, but I do have it now at least.
JM5000
Yuurei
Yuurei

Re: Picked up vol. 11

Post by JM5000 »

FuguTabetai wrote:If people are curious, I did pick up volume 11 a few minutes ago. I actually missed it, and wouldn't have got it all if another guy browsing hadn't heard me complaining to my friend that they didn't have it yet. The guy mentioned that it was over on the table, and what do you know, it was. I had just missed it.

Also picked up April's Ultra Jump just on the off chance it had anything fun in it.

Of course, I'm off to play basketball now though, so I don't think anything will happen with volume 11 for a while - I've got a busy schedule now too, but I do have it now at least.
yeah I was there today and I also missed it. I was gonna leave but then I checked the table (wich I always ignore) and there it was, in the middle of a pile of manga that makes it easy to miss. :o
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

FuguTabetai wrote:If people are curious, I did pick up volume 11 a few minutes ago. I actually missed it, and wouldn't have got it all if another guy browsing hadn't heard me complaining to my friend that they didn't have it yet. The guy mentioned that it was over on the table, and what do you know, it was. I had just missed it.
Well, that guy was me. I was wondering, who was looking for volume 11 there at the same time with me. Heh. 8)

You speak japanese very well, btw. 8)
Starakin
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Starakin »

wow, that was a nice coincidence :)
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

MrProphet wrote:
Well, that guy was me. I was wondering, who was looking for volume 11 there at the same time with me. Heh. 8)

Ah, thanks for the helping hand. I really would have missed it otherwise I think.

As for Japanese, the real motive I do all this is to keep in practice. :) Need to do something every day, or it is just too damn easy to forget.
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

FuguTabetai wrote:
MrProphet wrote:

Ah, thanks for the helping hand. I really would have missed it otherwise I think.

As for Japanese, the real motive I do all this is to keep in practice. :) Need to do something every day, or it is just too damn easy to forget.
So you don't only translate manga's for us, you also speak Japanese in stores ? ^^

Man, I want to grow up to be 'just' like you :D ^^
Chello
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Chello »

I picked up volume 11 in a manga shop in the Shibuya District of Tokyo. I also got Hajime no Ippo 68. When I bought the Tenjo the lady offered to put a book cover on it for me. I couldn't understand why, so I declined. Then when we got back on the subway I saw a lot of people had bookcovers on there stuff. I took a few peeks and my suspicions were correct, HENTAI!

I guess that is what you put on your books when you don't want people to know what you are reading.

Oh and for the record this volume ROCKED. Cool to see Nagi's dad, plus Bob was in action.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Chello wrote:I picked up volume 11 in a manga shop in the Shibuya District of Tokyo. I also got Hajime no Ippo 68. When I bought the Tenjo the lady offered to put a book cover on it for me. I couldn't understand why, so I declined. Then when we got back on the subway I saw a lot of people had bookcovers on there stuff. I took a few peeks and my suspicions were correct, HENTAI!

I guess that is what you put on your books when you don't want people to know what you are reading.
Not true - in Japan they put covers on most books. It has nothing to do with hentai or not.
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

Fugu wrote:
Not true - in Japan they put covers on most books. It has nothing to do with hentai or not.

IIRC, many people read hentai openly in Japan. It's not exactly a very big deal there. Unless perhaps you're underaged or something.

Agent Wax
Itsuki_Minami
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Itsuki_Minami »

I was just wondering where the store that you picked up the volume of TT is located?
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Itsuki_Minami wrote:I was just wondering where the store that you picked up the volume of TT is located?
Kinokunia. At Rockerfeller center. Check their web page for an address: http://www.kinokuniya.com/newyork/

fugu
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

Damn, New Yorik is a bit of a detour, it'd prolly be faster to go to Japan to buy my copy :)

I could have it imported, but my Japanese is, well ... 'pretty basic'

The only real sentence I know is : Dennis tobemasu gohan' and I don't even know if I pronounce that right ...
Itsuki_Minami
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Itsuki_Minami »

Thanks for the link, I can't wait to go check it out. How big are they there on manga books? Like would I be able to pick up some older volumes there aswell?
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

They have the whole series at Kinokuniya in New York last time I checked.

fugu
Itsuki_Minami
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Itsuki_Minami »

Thank you so much, I never would have found it. Definetly going to go there later today.
solidis1
Doushi
Doushi

Post by solidis1 »

Dang, so most of you guys all live in New York or travel to Japan regularly? I am in debt to Fugu since this site is the only way of experiencing the manga for me.
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

Depends on where you live, with the anime licensed by a US TV thingie, it shouldn't be that long before they start making (official) English translations, though the somewhat erotic character of the series could slow this down ...

If you know Japanese, Italian, french, Chinese or German, it's really no problem at all, just buy the manga in one of those languages :P
solidis1
Doushi
Doushi

Post by solidis1 »

Yeah, I think an American release isn't far off. I mean, the nudity and sex was toned down a bit so far. Adult swim could pick up on it later.
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

I was talking about the manga :wink:
moyism
Senpai
Senpai

Post by moyism »

well I hope if/when the TenTen manga gets released in the US, it'll be by a good translation team. Ikkitousen (sp?) / Battle Vixens, while mostly a rip on TenTen got released..... but the translations are HORRIBLE. Way too "westernize"....

I've never seen so much cursing in one manga... esp when in the original they never did :shock:
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

I doubt that the Tenjo Tenge manga would be picked up for a mainstream American release. That is one of the reasons I (originally) started translating it (a few years back.)
Starakin
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Starakin »

wonder how long it has been, two years and half?
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Starakin wrote:wonder how long it has been, two years and half?
I translated the first page of Tenjo Tenge 1 back on 2002/01/13

fugu
GreatTeacherStone
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by GreatTeacherStone »

am I the only one that thinks it's WICKED COOL that masatak has a skateboard. Skateboard spanks rollerblading like no ones business... I hope we find out Masataka is the skatin' champ cause then he'd be even MORE the bomb diggity!
Crimson
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Crimson »

FuguTabetai wrote:I doubt that the Tenjo Tenge manga would be picked up for a mainstream American release. That is one of the reasons I (originally) started translating it (a few years back.)
Why do you doubt that? I think it has a very good chance of being picked up now that alot more manga are starting to be licensed and released.

Is it because of the content of it? I know it has alot of nudity and some sex but so does Ikkitousen and Berserk, and those two manga's are both licensed and are currently being released.

Ikkitousen is pretty much the same type of manga like Ten Ten and it was licensed, also the Tenjo Tenge anime is also licensed so i think the manga has a fairly high chance of being licensed. I would actually be suprised if it didn't get licensed.

I wouldn't want companies such as Viz or Tokyo pop getting their claws on it though. I would rather ADV manga or Darkhorse getting it (even though Dark Horse is slow as hell, they do a excellent job).

Tokyo pop i now hate for ruining Initial D (anime and manga) and Ikkitousen -_-.
shouki
Doushi
Doushi

Post by shouki »

v11, p124, top left-hand frame. (page 126 too)

Look at what's on the tire! (particularly the two "antenna")

I almost died laughing.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Crimson wrote:
FuguTabetai wrote:I doubt that the Tenjo Tenge manga would be picked up for a mainstream American release. That is one of the reasons I (originally) started translating it (a few years back.)
Why do you doubt that? I think it has a very good chance of being picked up now that alot more manga are starting to be licensed and released.

Is it because of the content of it? I know it has alot of nudity and some sex but so does Ikkitousen and Berserk, and those two manga's are both licensed and are currently being released.

Ikkitousen is pretty much the same type of manga like Ten Ten and it was licensed, also the Tenjo Tenge anime is also licensed so i think the manga has a fairly high chance of being licensed. I would actually be suprised if it didn't get licensed.

I wouldn't want companies such as Viz or Tokyo pop getting their claws on it though. I would rather ADV manga or Darkhorse getting it (even though Dark Horse is slow as hell, they do a excellent job).

Tokyo pop i now hate for ruining Initial D (anime and manga) and Ikkitousen -_-.
When I first started translating Tenjo Tenge - two years and three months ago - I thought TenTen was too explicit for mainstream manga translation companies, and not explicit enough for hardcore manga translation companies.

With the anime, I think it has more of a chance to get picked up. But I'm still not as sure - it would almost definitely get an 18+ type rating. How do they do that with manga now? I haven't been near a comic book store in ages, and I doubt Borders or the like would carry it.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

Rating for anime DVD releases in does not matter much. Berserk has a 16+ rating and it has some pretty bloody stuff. Except for hentai, noone really pays any attention to it. Sure, Cartoon Network won't show it. But who cares, if it's out on DVD?

As for manga, your regular Suncoast, Sam Goody's, or enen Barnes and Noble carries all the manga you need. Berserk and Hellsing, which are pretty bloody are sold freely, not even in a shrinkwrap.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

shouki wrote:v11, p124, top left-hand frame. (page 126 too)

Look at what's on the tire! (particularly the two "antenna")

I almost died laughing.
Yeah, i noticed it as well. It is a reference to an earlier training excercise, where Bob was running with Maya sitting on a tire. Pretty funny insider gag. 8)
Chello
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Chello »

FuguTabetai wrote:
Chello wrote:I picked up volume 11 in a manga shop in the Shibuya District of Tokyo. I also got Hajime no Ippo 68. When I bought the Tenjo the lady offered to put a book cover on it for me. I couldn't understand why, so I declined. Then when we got back on the subway I saw a lot of people had bookcovers on there stuff. I took a few peeks and my suspicions were correct, HENTAI!

I don't think so man. I bought two other manga and she didn't offer to cover those. On the subways and trains the only books I saw covered were ecchi stuff. I was the nosey Gaijin, so I kept taking peeks during stops.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Chello wrote:
FuguTabetai wrote: Not true - in Japan they put covers on most books. It has nothing to do with hentai or not.
I don't think so man. I bought two other manga and she didn't offer to cover those. On the subways and trains the only books I saw covered were ecchi stuff. I was the nosey Gaijin, so I kept taking peeks during stops.
Just your luck then; last time I bought a book in Japan (Shimpo Yuichi's "White Out") they put a cover on that. And it's like, essentially a Tom Clancy novel.

It is really common to put covers on books. They just have nice service at bookstores.

There might be something else at work here though - if you are not Japanese, all sorts of things suddenly are different. But really, it isn't uncommon to get anything covered.
Chello
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Chello »

Oh ok, I thought I was just onto something there. I guess just covering the Echi and Hentai stuff would defeat the purpose of the covers in the first place. Like it would be more obvious as to what you are reading.

Yeah, I was really impressed with the service at the bookstore. I took some pictures of the store we went too and I am going to upload them somewhere I think.

I had to ask the girl for Tenjo Tenge, and like some of you, it was right infront of me and I missed it.
Chello
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Chello »

What did you guys think of Bob in action?

I thought that he didn't do to bad for going up against a weapons user who has probably been practicing that style her whole life.

His fighitng style seems to be heavily focused on Capoeria, but I can see him using some Thai Kickboxing moves too. Kind of a like a cross between Tekken's Eddie Gordo and Street Fighter's DeeJay maybe, I dunno.

He doesn't have any special White or Red Feather blood in him, but with hard work I think he could get to the level that the White Feathers are at. Maya has commented in the past on his muscle flexibility, strength, and over all potential before.

I just think that the School Tournament we will see him at his best. It would be great if he wiped the floor with his opponent, but it always seems like Oh Great draws tough battles for Bob...well you could say that for everyone of the characters..
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

I actually think he was a good match for Madoka. If she didn't have that many weapons to begin with, that fight might have ended differently. Then again, maybe not. I kinda presumed it would be so one-sided in Madoka's favor. I'm glad I was wrong.
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

I think Madoka could have done better in the match but it seems to me that she kept loosing focus in the match. She still fight well against BOTH Izuzu and Bob. Sure you can aruge that she used weapons and may have hit someone when they weren't looking, but a street fight like that has no rules, anything goes. Fight to win at any cost.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

pv82 wrote:I think Madoka could have done better in the match but it seems to me that she kept loosing focus in the match.
I have to say that I have not read past what I have translated (keeps it more interesting that way) but from just glancing through those pages while scanning, Madoka is a total schizo. I mean like, clinical. Arguing with herself all the time and stuff.
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

FuguTabetai wrote:
pv82 wrote:I think Madoka could have done better in the match but it seems to me that she kept loosing focus in the match.
I have to say that I have not read past what I have translated (keeps it more interesting that way) but from just glancing through those pages while scanning, Madoka is a total schizo. I mean like, clinical. Arguing with herself all the time and stuff.
see that's what I'm saying, she went a little nuts in the fight and lost. It also seems IMO like Nagi's dad seduced her with the idea of marriage or something for motivation (maybe she has some sort of fantasy of getting married) , he may have mind control. If im right he is one evil bastardBTW, Isn't everyone in Ten ten a little crazy. Not to her magnitude but guys like Mitsumi and Shin seemed to have lost thier heads after a couple of fights
Chello
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Chello »

I dunno, maybe Souhaku (Nagi's Dad) just has a thing for teenage girls. Most men in manga do ;)

I did see that wedding stuff too in the later chapters and it did ring me a bit strange, even for Tenten though...

Still, she seems a little bit young, maybe 13 or 14, thats just sick.
Dave
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Dave »

I checked around a bit and for those curious what happens after vol. 11 it seems like http://www.jojohot.com hosts the last few chapters of TT.

The chapters are currently available at this page: http://cncard.wfinfo.net.cn/lastone/joj ... jotstx.htm but they continuously change the location.
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

Thanks Dave, I'm still looking for chp. 73. I heard Masataka kick major assinasity
zip
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by zip »

yeah he does but Taware kicks even more :D

taware 4eva
Chello
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Chello »

Tawara is just a beast, he doesn't train that much and already owns 90% of all the fighters in the manga.

I wonder what his deal is, I am glad that he is just all out awesome, but I wonder if there is a reason behind his power.
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

Actually, I found it a bit funny how Masataka really puts up a good fight against Fu Chien, when Bunshichi simply beats the shit out of the guy with a karate chop and an uppercut. :) He then combs his hair and puffs his cigarette as if what he did was really nothing at all.
Eli-kun
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Eli-kun »

I like that Kagurazaka appeared in volume 11. I thought it was amusing when he beat Bunshichi in chess.
I'm a bit confused on the "we're the same in that way, you and I" part. What was meant by that?
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

kujoe wrote:Actually, I found it a bit funny how Masataka really puts up a good fight against Fu Chien, when Bunshichi simply beats the shit out of the guy with a karate chop and an uppercut. :) He then combs his hair and puffs his cigarette as if what he did was really nothing at all.
I guess this would have help if I would have translated but, i wanted to know if you guys knew what kept Masataka from getting sliced up, because if I 'm seeing correctly, Fu slice through a car while he was on top of it, and later fu tried to slice him dead on and the blades broke :?. Also, Tawara is on another level than compared to the rest fo the fighters. It's going to be really hard for the Juk to fight against him in the tournament, the only one I see putting up a decent fight against him is Nagi (IMO) unlesds something were to happen in the next chapters.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

The image where Fu slices through the car: well, you can clearly see Masataka jumping off of it, so no mystery there.

As for how he broke the blades, I guess that's one of the secret techniques on the chip Dougen smuggled from Takayanagi HQ, and Kurei later found. There's a lot more about the chip later in volume 11.

As for Tawara, well, I don't think he is fighting in the Tournament. In fact, I am pretty sure he isn't. First, he is not part ofthe Enforcers. Second, he is not part of the F. Third, he just doesn't like to fight, unless he is majorly pissed, and then it's the end of the world for the one who pissed him off (hello, Shin!).
Chello
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Chello »

It looks like Tawara is going to fight. I have been flipping through my Volume 11 while reading Fugu's text translations...

Some spoilers below

Tawara goes to tell Masataka about how Bob is getting whooped by Madoka. He wanders into the training room with Shin's picture. He starts talking to the picture like it is actually Shin, Tawara seems a little concerned since history is repeating itself.

Shin's ghost (?) appears behind Tawara and says something like, "Why don't you lend them those two arms that you are so proud of? Double Impact"

Then he vanishes before Tawara turns around.

I think he will rejoin the Jyuken, especially if Nagi fights for Mitsuonmi. That way it could go down like this perhaps.

Mitsuonmi vs Tawara
Nagi Vs Aya

Maybe this time it will be Tawara sacrificing himself, instead of Maya?

He is my favorite character so I hope that doesn't happen.
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

Chello wrote: Nagi Vs Aya
Whoa, I could see that happening, but I think that it the way he is going, it's going to take more that one opponent to bring him down. And, I also have a wierd feeling that his father is going to be factor in all this. I feel like someone is going to have to do battle with him.