Translator notes:

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Translator notes:

Post by FuguTabetai »

Too many Translator notes? Too few?

I could in general probably make a few more comments, although most of the stuff is pretty straightforward.

Also, better having the comments with the image or worse? I like them with myself, but I'm just curious...

fugu
Chello
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Chello »

I liked how you did it before, with a .txt file at the end of each chapter. Your comments were cool to read, keep doing those if you can. Even if they don't relate to the translation, even if they are just your comments.
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

I actually like your notes on the pages. That way, all I have to do is look at your footnotes for extra info--no need to go back and forth. But if there's something you really want to comment about, and it's too long for footnoting, then maybe including a txt file will suffice. But don't include too many comments--just the ones you feel are important and are worth commenting on. :wink:
burrowowl
Doushi
Doushi

Re: Translator notes:

Post by burrowowl »

FuguTabetai wrote:Too many Translator notes? Too few?

I could in general probably make a few more comments, although most of the stuff is pretty straightforward.

Also, better having the comments with the image or worse? I like them with myself, but I'm just curious...
I like translator notes. Especially when the original Japanese was more subtle than the English, or had nuances that take more explanation. So long as you aren't truncating the image in order to cram the notes in (adding them to the bottom instead of overwriting the scan), I have no problem with them being however long you thing is appropriate.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

burrowowl wrote:So long as you aren't truncating the image in order to cram the notes in (adding them to the bottom instead of overwriting the scan), I have no problem with them being however long you thing is appropriate.
yes, they are automatically added at the bottom in "new" space generated just for that purpose...
Sacrin
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Sacrin »

I also realy enjoy the comments (even though I sometimes forget they are there...). I also like them on that page like it is now (less going back and forth). I wouldn't mind if you added more comments at all. ^_^
"Fithos lusec wecos vinosec"
burrowowl
Doushi
Doushi

Post by burrowowl »

FuguTabetai wrote:
burrowowl wrote:So long as you aren't truncating the image in order to cram the notes in (adding them to the bottom instead of overwriting the scan), I have no problem with them being however long you thing is appropriate.
yes, they are automatically added at the bottom in "new" space generated just for that purpose...
I suspected as much. You rock!
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

I think they're fine as they are, longer, or shorter. It's really up to you to decide what you're comfortable with.

BTW, regarding the character 'agito'. I believe it does mean 'jaw'. There is a character in Air Gear named Wanijima Agito (same Kanji), and he is identified with a shark...

Agent Wax
Starakin
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Starakin »

I like to read more translator notes, and having them at the same page is more convenient than switching to the text file every now and then.
Isuzu
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Isuzu »

Well, the text file was quite nice to read after having seen the new chapter - I think it was better in the .txt, because there simply was more space for any comments.
Bomb me, please.
limubear
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by limubear »

[quote="FuguTabetai"]Too many Translator notes? Too few?

fugu[/quote]

i like the notes with the images! if possible just under the 'image/cartoon box' but i notice that doesnt happen much in tt... he draws all over the whole page grrrrr
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Agent_Wax wrote: BTW, regarding the character 'agito'. I believe it does mean 'jaw'. There is a character in Air Gear named Wanijima Agito (same Kanji), and he is identified with a shark...
Oh, it means Jaw all right - it was in Nelson's as jaw. But "maw" is a better translation in that context (thanks to shouki.)

I'll keep doing translator notes like this because it is much easier. Before, when I did the notes in a .txt file, after I had done all the translation and before releasing, I would go back and check over everything I translated, and put a note if I remembered something. Now I just use GMAO and put in a note immediately.

There isn't really a space issue, because GMAO automatically allocates new space (it can make as much as necessary) for the comments.

At any rate, it should, if nothing else, make it very easy to recognize when someone is selling my translations of TJTG on ebay since nobody else does it this way. heh. :)
TakCWAL
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by TakCWAL »

If anybody cares...

on TT Vol. 1 file 14b, the text was not translated because Fugu said he couldn't translate Chinese, it is basically a phrase in a certain Taoist script, and goes something like this... (yes, I was only able to compile partial translation myself, the rest is guesswork)

"Gathering strength from the abdomen, concentrate all spirits for the (literly) kill/execution of -insert super move name here-" (first bubble)

"There are many elements of this world, the way of the heaven is balanced by the ying and yang, the way of the Earth is balanced by (literly) feminity and masculinity" (second bubble)

The text is so ancient even people familiar with Chinese (and I don't mean simplified, because they wouldn't be able to read it anyway) would have excessive difficulty translating, yeesh. And if you can paraphrase that a little bit, you can create sentences better than mine!

練氣 = Meditate, gathering strength

丹 = Stomach, pubic, abdomen area

精神 = Same as Japanese equavalent

柔 = Feminity

剛 = Masculinity
"Lo, there do I see my father. Lo, there do I see my mother, my sisters, and my brothers. Lo, there do I see the line of my people. They do call to me. They bid me take my place among them. In the halls of Valhalla. Where the brave, may live, forever."
shouki
Doushi
Doushi

Post by shouki »

I like the notes integrated into the pages better. Nice improvement.

Could you make the reference numbers that appear by the actual translation a bit bigger please? They're quite hard to spot currently. I generally spot the notes first, then spend a while trying to find what line they're referring to.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

shouki wrote:Could you make the reference numbers that appear by the actual translation a bit bigger please? They're quite hard to spot currently. I generally spot the notes first, then spend a while trying to find what line they're referring to.
I could - right now they are just the standard subscript sizefor the font, but I'm pretty sure I can increase that. Although, I havne't had a problem personally... :) (Having written the notes in the first place.)
Fulsion
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Fulsion »

I like the new notes at the bottom, sometimes I just read the entire volume without looking at the text file and sometimes the meaning is lost O_o. This is a lot more helpful heh :)