Anime DVD release details

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

Natsume Maya
Bushi
Bushi

Anime DVD release details

Post by Natsume Maya »

Volume 1
To be released 28 July 2004
Catalogue number AVBA-14991
Price 6,090 yen (including tax)
Contains three episodes
First pressing comes with special disc (seiyuu and staff interviews, TenTen clip collection etc)

Amazon Japan has it on preorder for 20% off.
Natsume Danjou Maya.
http://natsumemaya.net/ (new website address)
Shin Natsume
Tamashii
Tamashii

great

Post by Shin Natsume »

hopefully panini brings that one over here to germany...
Till tomorow is a better day to be,
you
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

Only 3 ep. :?
6090 JAPANESE YEN (JPY) = 53.5761 US DOLLAR (USD).
Nope, I think Ill wait for the other regoin DVDs to come out. Altough Ill probably miss out on the extras :( .
hyoga_33
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by hyoga_33 »

damn only 3 episodes , why do anime dvds have so little episodes , i can fit 10 good quality anime episodes in one dvd , what the hell ?
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

hyoga_33 wrote:damn only 3 episodes , why do anime dvds have so little episodes , i can fit 10 good quality anime episodes in one dvd , what the hell ?
heck ya, I fit all of FMA (so far) on one DVD_R.
ESM
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by ESM »

DVD episodes are of a higher quality. Not only do they usually include subtitles for each episode, they also come with different audio tracks, added features like the interviews with the different seiya and the video quality is better because it's like HDTV compatible + surround sound.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

ESM wrote:DVD episodes are of a higher quality. Not only do they usually include subtitles for each episode, they also come with different audio tracks, added features like the interviews with the different seiya and the video quality is better because it's like HDTV compatible + surround sound.
I doubt that they would re-draw the anime in HDTV quality. HDTV compatible? Even regular terrestial tv broadcasts are HTDV compatible. The DVD version should be higher quality than the broadcast version, but still in just regular DVD resolutions...

I assume that they just put 3 eps to a disk because they can make more money that way. I'm pretty sure I'm right about that too...
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

Fugu wrote:
I assume that they just put 3 eps to a disk because they can make more money that way. I'm pretty sure I'm right about that too...
Yes, you are. Some series have only 2 episodes per disc.

:x
ESM
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by ESM »

FuguTabetai wrote:
ESM wrote:DVD episodes are of a higher quality. Not only do they usually include subtitles for each episode, they also come with different audio tracks, added features like the interviews with the different seiya and the video quality is better because it's like HDTV compatible + surround sound.
I doubt that they would re-draw the anime in HDTV quality. HDTV compatible? Even regular terrestial tv broadcasts are HTDV compatible. The DVD version should be higher quality than the broadcast version, but still in just regular DVD resolutions...

There's a difference between 640x480 dvix encoded files, and an uncompressed 800x600 mpeg file which is usually what DVD's are, but getting more money is also pretty much right >.>
hyoga_33
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by hyoga_33 »

well i know the reason they do that is to make more money , who wouldnt do that , but come on , give me a break , and when i make a dvd i use mpeg video files which are pretty big in size and are good quality , and i still fit 10 episodes , but hey what can you do about it .
ESM
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by ESM »

hyoga_33 wrote:well i know the reason they do that is to make more money , who wouldnt do that , but come on , give me a break , and when i make a dvd i use mpeg video files which are pretty big in size and are good quality , and i still fit 10 episodes , but hey what can you do about it .
Yes but your copies are from encoded dvix aren't they? That's different because it's already lost information being compressed so it would be easier to download. It's also at a lower resolution, I fairly certain that dvd's a normally 800x600 resolution even though most TV's are only 640x480, except for new ones. That's a lot of uncompressed data. You also have to include the audio track which they might have more than one of, in canada we usually have english and french plus special surround sound which is a totally seperate audio track I believe. You also have subtitles but I don't think they actually take up that space, however special features like unedited scenes, interviews, and productions images can eat up another 1~3 hours of video time. A lot of that add's up.

But you're right they could probably put at least 2 or 3 more episodes on it but that's not how you make the cash.
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

...Or the number of episodes per disk could be somewhat random. The least would be 3 episodes, while other volumes would have 4 or 5. ADV's R1 release of RahXephon is an example of this, and I'm beginning to see that other companies are doing the same. I guess it depends on the extras?

Companies can use this method in order to give an illusion that they're satisfying the fans, while increasing their sales at the same time. But if they really want to make the cash, 3 episodes per disk is one of the ways to do it--which of course, in my opinion, sucks.
CrazedAnimeFanatic
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by CrazedAnimeFanatic »

i personally think that 3-4 episodes fo around $25-$30 is "resonable" i personally fell that im ripped off, and no reasoning could change my mind, however i wil still by them as long as they meet my above requirements, if they are more expensive or have less episodes i wouldnt buy it but thats me

later yall

(ps. i was measuring is Australian $)
Ikari
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Ikari »

3 eps per disc for such a high price is normal for japanese releases of anime dvds so stop complaining. I don't think it's relevant how many eps ADV puts on their dvds since those are meant for the US market.

You can always wait for a US release, considering it's already licensed.
Saito
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Saito »

or you just dont buy that crap and burn it yourself
burrowowl
Doushi
Doushi

Post by burrowowl »

Ikari wrote:3 eps per disc for such a high price is normal for japanese releases of anime dvds so stop complaining. I don't think it's relevant how many eps ADV puts on their dvds since those are meant for the US market.

You can always wait for a US release, considering it's already licensed.
As long as there are intellectual property laws, they'll charge what the market will bear. The Japanese market has had high prices relative to those in the US for many years.

We aren't the people these DVDs are being produced for. No effort is being made for wide distribution of this title outside of Japan. No effort is being made for advertising saturation of this title outside of Japan. We aren't the market, so they don't care what we think about the price.

Besides, as has been mentioned elsewhere, the manga has much better art, is a format in which the story can have much more depth, and is available for a much more reasonable price in the US.
CrazedAnimeFanatic
Yuurei
Yuurei

burrowowl is right, they will charge what they can, just like any other company, just in japan they get themselves more ripped off than in other countries
hyoga_33
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by hyoga_33 »

well but even though the prices are so freaking high , people in japan can still afford them , its not like there getting ripped off , im guessing the reason the prices are so high is becauase of the economic stance of japan, hey now i dont even now what im saying , jaja.
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

Well, you're right I think, it's really expensive to live in Japan, so accordingly DVD's are prolly more expensive over there ...

Erm ... Don't mind me, I'm still exhausted from a party friday night and I played 'handball' ( don't know English term, you run around on a feel, dribbling this small ball and throw it at a goal ) and football, or 'soccer' if you will ...

Don't even know why I said that all just now ...
hyoga_33
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by hyoga_33 »

so this handball , you play it with your hand and balls ?

jajajaja
burrowowl
Doushi
Doushi

Post by burrowowl »

Banorac wrote:Erm ... Don't mind me, I'm still exhausted from a party friday night and I played 'handball' ( don't know English term, you run around on a feel, dribbling this small ball and throw it at a goal ) and football, or 'soccer' if you will ...
Sounds like lacrosse from that brief description.

But you don't dribble in that sport... nevermind. Got a url of with a photo of this mystery activity?
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

burrowowl wrote:
Banorac wrote:Erm ... Don't mind me, I'm still exhausted from a party friday night and I played 'handball' ( don't know English term, you run around on a feel, dribbling this small ball and throw it at a goal ) and football, or 'soccer' if you will ...
Sounds like lacrosse from that brief description.

But you don't dribble in that sport... nevermind. Got a url of with a photo of this mystery activity?
No, it's without sticks, you throw the ball with your hands

By the way, that's *not* me ... :P

CrazedAnimeFanatic
Yuurei
Yuurei

Banorac wrote:
Erm ... Don't mind me, I'm still exhausted from a party friday night and I played 'handball' ( don't know English term, you run around on a feel, dribbling this small ball and throw it at a goal ) and football, or 'soccer' if you will ...

i like handball, theyve use the same name over here in australia, but anyways i only played that in primary school, or junior high for those of u in the U.S.A

later yall
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

I don't really like it ... i'm not a sportsperson, but just now when the year is ending, it seems I'm good at disc- and spear throwing ... And I'm one a**hole defence player on the football ( = soccer ) field ...
TakCWAL
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by TakCWAL »

And...

I am good with my K98k rifle!! >:P

*Trying to engage in the conversation*
"Lo, there do I see my father. Lo, there do I see my mother, my sisters, and my brothers. Lo, there do I see the line of my people. They do call to me. They bid me take my place among them. In the halls of Valhalla. Where the brave, may live, forever."
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Volume 2

Post by pv82 »

Natsume Maya has released details that
"DVD volume 2 of the Tenjou Tenge anime will be released on 25 August"
If anyone wants it, you can get info on it on Natsume Maya news section. it looks like it contains Ep. 4-6. It's got extra fan stuff
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=AVBA-22041

Hope I didn't step on your toes Natsume Maya :oops:
Natsume Maya
Bushi
Bushi

Re: Volume 2

Post by Natsume Maya »

pv82 wrote:Hope I didn't step on your toes Natsume Maya :oops:
Not at all. Thanks for posting the info. I forgot to do it myself :)
Natsume Danjou Maya.
http://natsumemaya.net/ (new website address)
Mephisto03
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Mephisto03 »

CrazedAnimeFanatic wrote:
Banorac wrote:

i like handball, theyve use the same name over here in australia, but anyways i only played that in primary school, or junior high for those of u in the U.S.A

later yall
Handball in the states is you have a wall and however amount of people and usually make up a cheating line somewhere near the wall. Anyways after that one person hits the ball against the wall the next person can then either let the ball bounce once or hit it in the air back at the wall for the next person. 2 bounces, hitting ground first is illegal and no grabbing the ball, all open hand. I've played the game your talking of in gym class in high school a couple times but I think we just dubbed it european handball.
dumbo63
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by dumbo63 »

Does anyone know how many volumes there are for the manga. Because it seems pretty impossble to fit the manga into 26 episodes.
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

pv82 wrote:Natsume Maya has released details that
"DVD volume 2 of the Tenjou Tenge anime will be released on 25 August"
If anyone wants it, you can get info on it on Natsume Maya news section. it looks like it contains Ep. 4-6. It's got extra fan stuff
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=AVBA-22041

Hope I didn't step on your toes Natsume Maya :oops:
Extra fan stuff is great, too bad they allways drop that on the European DVD's :(

Say, do region codes 'get skipped' if you play DVD's on your computer ?
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Banorac wrote:Say, do region codes 'get skipped' if you play DVD's on your computer ?
Generally, no. There are some hacks for certain players, but generally, no.
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

FuguTabetai wrote:
Banorac wrote:Say, do region codes 'get skipped' if you play DVD's on your computer ?
Generally, no. There are some hacks for certain players, but generally, no.
Joy ! New worlds of joy !!! :D

So that means when I get my credit card, I can order DVD releases which actually *have* extras on them :)