tenjo tenge chapter 67

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

Rev
Kouhai
Kouhai

tenjo tenge chapter 67

Post by Rev »

wow you guys don't seem to talk about the chapters on tenten anymore well I guess I'll start it off.
what do you guys think about masakata true feeling towards nagi?
I think maybe oh great is trying to hint at something maybe later on when all the crazyness cools down masakata might have other fight with nagi.

when I look at nagi's fight with the mataza and masakata fight Madoka and with Fu Chi'en it doesn't feel like he even at nagi level. look at what nagi did to mataza with a couple hits he almost killed him . I think masakata doesn't even stand a chance anymore. should of killed him when he was still weak.
moyism
Senpai
Senpai

Post by moyism »

I think the issue here is "raw" power levels. While Masakata has been training for god knows how long for god knows how many hours, the one thing he lacks that Nagi readily has is the ability of the dragon gate.

If you take away fancy powers and just did raw physical skills and techniques, I think a Nagi VS Masakata fight would be a close tie if anything else.

Just my quick two cents.

BTW, yet again thanks Fugu for another great chapter! :D
burrowowl
Doushi
Doushi

Re: tenjo tenge chapter 67

Post by burrowowl »

Rev wrote:when I look at nagi's fight with the mataza and masakata fight Madoka and with Fu Chi'en it doesn't feel like he even at nagi level. look at what nagi did to mataza with a couple hits he almost killed him . I think masakata doesn't even stand a chance anymore. should of killed him when he was still weak.
Correction: Souichirou hit Mataza over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, yet did not manage to kill him.

As for Masataka, he's exactly as powerful as the plot dictates at the moment, just like every other character.
TakCWAL
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by TakCWAL »

Power levels in shonen fighting manga are arbituary. The more you try to think about it scientifically and subsequantely attempting to calculate it mathmatically, the more your brain hurts...
"Lo, there do I see my father. Lo, there do I see my mother, my sisters, and my brothers. Lo, there do I see the line of my people. They do call to me. They bid me take my place among them. In the halls of Valhalla. Where the brave, may live, forever."
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

Well, this is quite an interesting chapter. We get to see a few short reflections from some of the characters, and it looks like it's Maya turn to go on a trip of her own.
Rev wrote:wow you guys don't seem to talk about the chapters on tenten anymore well I guess I'll start it off.
what do you guys think about masakata true feeling towards nagi?
I think maybe oh great is trying to hint at something maybe later on when all the crazyness cools down masakata might have other fight with nagi.
With regard to that, I'm actually more interested in seeing a fight between Nagi and Bob. I don't know, but I guess it feels so much like the one between Shin and Bunshichi. It's also quite amusing that Bunshichi referred to himself as the "exorcist" in that fight. Then again, it also sounds kind of repetitive, but ever since Mitsuomi invited Bob to join the enforcement group, I always had the feeling that there's some unsaid tension between Nagi and Bob.
Rooster
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Rooster »

Correction: Souichirou hit Mataza over and over and over and over and over and over and over again, yet did not manage to kill him.
Yes, he only severely incapacitated him and most of the fight was a no-contest for Souichirou anyway.

Souichirou would devour Masataka with Dragon Gate open, but without it, despite how well he fought "normal style" against Ishiyumi, Masataka'd kick his ass. Of course, I'm not sure how powerful Souichirou's dragonform would be against Masataka since it seems the red feather resonance makes it stronger, and Masataka's no red feather.

Masataka probably resents Souichirou but won't do anything as long as Aya's still pining after him and they're on the same side.

Souichirou versus Bob would seem possible but in my view only in the end, where they'd fight normal style. No matter how I look at it, it doesn't seem like a climactic battle.

The only one who could do any "exorcising" on Souichirou would still be Maya if the started to fraternize with the "bad guys". Maya'd then have been a lifeline for both Shin and Souichirou, who are walking much the same path. As a side note, it's interesting that the "puzzle" shows up when both Shin and Souichirou go berserk.

As for the chapter, it was disappointing since the author almost ruined my image of Souhaku (page 116 & 117 center) by making him look like a woman...
Devilguy
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Devilguy »

Souichiro was extremely powerful when he fought Mataza but we have to consider the side effects. His mother, thanks to her experience, "only" lost one arm. But at page 114, it is shown what would have happened to Souichiro had she not intervened.
Of course she still has legs that can be destroyed :twisted: I hope there will be a way to allow her to "grow" body parts again, she does not look good right now...
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

Rooster wrote:
As for the chapter, it was disappointing since the author almost ruined my image of Souhaku (page 116 & 117 center) by making him look like a woman...
Isn't that some kind of method they use to get girls to read the Manga also (Beautiful Boys style I think it's called??).
solidis1
Doushi
Doushi

Post by solidis1 »

I agree with you there, Rooster, Souhaku looks weird. In the earlier chapters (the page where he's standing over Nagi's mom with his sword) he looks like a super badass. He looked something like Souchirou but almost cooler somehow. Now he looks like a little weakling even though he could be super powerful.

I just think Oh! Great's style has changed. It happens alot when manga goes on for a long time.
lost
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by lost »

solidis1 wrote:I agree with you there, Rooster, Souhaku looks weird. In the earlier chapters (the page where he's standing over Nagi's mom with his sword) he looks like a super badass. He looked something like Souchirou but almost cooler somehow. Now he looks like a little weakling even though he could be super powerful.
Ohgreat prolly wanted to describe him as more calm and "controllable" character instead of him being like Shin and Souchiro, maybe that's why he turned out looking like that. But Ohgreat's characters changes a lot on looks as the story goes on, so I don't doubt Souhaku would look different than he is now in future chapters or when they go back to the story about him and souchiro's mom.
But from the pages before he really does look a lot different :? , his eyes looks more like souchiro than it is now.
Maybe there's a berserk version of Souhaku we haven't seen ^^
emogen
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by emogen »

With regards to Nagi vs. Masataka, It's true that when Nagi opens the dragon's gate, Masataka is just no match. However, I'm speculating that there's so much more to Masataka than meets the eye. He is a takayanagi after all.

As for Nagi's mom, how bout cybernetic arms? [/quote]
Fulsion
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Fulsion »

I'm wondering what that chip is (that Kurei found). Gotta be something big if all the villains are looking for it...
burrowowl
Doushi
Doushi

Post by burrowowl »

pv82 wrote:Isn't that some kind of method they use to get girls to read the Manga also (Beautiful Boys style I think it's called??).
Certain styles of drawing men have developed in manga (most acutely in shojou) that can be understood to represent a variety of character traits. The Shouhaku character design is similar to some stuff you'll see that could be described as bishounen (pretty boy) comics. Characters that look like this tend to have a lot of internal strength and are often used as foils to more outlandish characters. They tend to behave themselves, the ladies love them, and (at least in the titles I've been exposed to) they frequently turn out to be total asses.

Anyhow, he's well-groomed. Shame on him.
TakCWAL
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by TakCWAL »

"They tend to behave themselves, the ladies love them, and (at least in the titles I've been exposed to) they frequently turn out to be total asses"

Hmm, I think there is a line of between the character and the design, and how 'ladies' may be exposed to them. And remember, most shoujo manga, the men look really frail. At least in Shonen bishonen's are very often well built, heh.

Take Kenshin for example. Ladies love em *at least in a Japanese poll I saw*. The man wasn't an ass, no. But after thinking about it, I have to say, why not? This is a man who is not only strong, but can cook, clean the house, and heck, takes care of the children!! How much more do you want from a man like that, heh. Of course, if you are a woman... Or, of course, if you are gay, but... I don't think kenshin would take an interest that :p
"Lo, there do I see my father. Lo, there do I see my mother, my sisters, and my brothers. Lo, there do I see the line of my people. They do call to me. They bid me take my place among them. In the halls of Valhalla. Where the brave, may live, forever."
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

emogen wrote:With regards to Nagi vs. Masataka, It's true that when Nagi opens the dragon's gate, Masataka is just no match. However, I'm speculating that there's so much more to Masataka than meets the eye. He is a takayanagi after all.
Well, he could always go berserk again I guess. If there's ever going to be a fight between them, there's probably a twist to balance things out. Souichirou may be powerful when he uses the Dragon's Gate, but he's also very vulnerable--the real issue for Souichirou is whether he can even live through the experience of using it.

With regard to Souhaku--it's kind of a let down that he ended up looking like that. I like his badass look better, but by no means do I think his effeminate features display weakness. He does end up a bit more annoyingly arrogant though, and maybe that suits his character as a villain or as the messed up father that he is.

Whether his appearance is due to the artist's change of style or simple clean living, I'm still disappointed.
Rooster
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Rooster »

I agree with you there, Rooster, Souhaku looks weird. In the earlier chapters (the page where he's standing over Nagi's mom with his sword) he looks like a super badass. He looked something like Souchirou but almost cooler somehow. Now he looks like a little weakling even though he could be super powerful.
True, but I don't think the present Souhaku-look is bad. He wouldn't get much respect as head of the Kago family (and head of evil masterminding) in a street punk's getup after all. I admit I don't like the slick business-type as much as the street-type, but the point was, the 116 & 117 center image was of him in street-type, and it looked really, really feminine.
Take Kenshin for example. [...] but can cook, clean the house, and heck, takes care of the children!!
I think my stance on Kenshin's "manliness" can be best expressed by quoting someone else: "He's my frigging grandmother!". It's actually sometimes a pity, that maybe someday in the far far future there actually will be a bishounen character with a personality I like, but I'll probably miss it since I'm prejudiced to hate him anyway.
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

Devilguy wrote: Of course she still has legs that can be destroyed :twisted: I hope there will be a way to allow her to "grow" body parts again, she does not look good right now...
I think it's just too cruel what happened to the poor woman, she's got a 15 year old son, only one arm and one eye and she still manages to look sexy ... So now they take of another arm :shock: That's just too cruel ...

Souhaku looked cooler in the flash backs, but I don't think he looks 'feminine' or 'lame' in the present arc, he looks kinda slick and though he's got a strange hair cut, I think it's kinda cool and gives him a paternal resemblance to Nagi ...

Though he was the bomb in the flash backs, everyone looks cool with goggles :twisted:
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

Banorac wrote:I think it's just too cruel what happened to the poor woman, she's got a 15 year old son, only one arm and one eye and she still manages to look sexy ... So now they take of another arm :shock: That's just too cruel ...
Yeah, not to mention she's a single mother with a son to raise--a son who was also recently kidnapped by his very father, the same person who chopped off her arm. How messed up is that? Well, we still don't know what transpired on the day he did that, but still...
Devilguy
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Devilguy »

If you ask me, she would have absorbed damage better with her breasts. :twisted: If not, there is still syllicone!
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

kujoe wrote:
Banorac wrote:I think it's just too cruel what happened to the poor woman, she's got a 15 year old son, only one arm and one eye and she still manages to look sexy ... So now they take of another arm :shock: That's just too cruel ...
Yeah, not to mention she's a single mother with a son to raise--a son who was also recently kidnapped by his very father, the same person who chopped off her arm. How messed up is that? Well, we still don't know what transpired on the day he did that, but still...
Let's all feel compassionate towards the poor woman :cry:

@ Devilguy : that remark made it fairly impossible for me to think of you as a human being, for shame ...
Moesbie
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Moesbie »

maybe it's just me, but even with no arms left she's still hot

question about the plot, the whole gang was planning to go rescue nagi, but quit because of Aya told them not to?
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

Erm, that's just weird ... Though I still think she deserves to have at least one arm ... :cry:

They decided not to go, since Maya already took off and Aya believes in her heart Nagi will teturn by himself ... At least that's how I see it.
Shinpachi
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Shinpachi »

The headband Masataka had on in the first page reminded me of Naruto. Wasn't the Takayanagi family the head of all the feather families? So isn't it pretty likely there's some hidden power in their bloodline? That'd sure make a Masataka and Nagi fight interesting.
burrowowl
Doushi
Doushi

Post by burrowowl »

Shinpachi wrote:The headband Masataka had on in the first page reminded me of Naruto. Wasn't the Takayanagi family the head of all the feather families? So isn't it pretty likely there's some hidden power in their bloodline? That'd sure make a Masataka and Nagi fight interesting.
That's just a hachigane. Infantrymen that for whatever reason didn't have a kabuto would wear those for at least a little protection.

In the interest of keeping prominent characters' hairstyles fabulous it is necessary for your super-cool ninja protagonist to wear one of those intead of a hood and cowl.

And yes, it looks just like the one Naruto wears (with the spiral motif).
Mellow Yellow
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Mellow Yellow »

Anyone else here think Souhaku looks like Char Aznable from Char's Counterattack? Well, he looks like Char with a bad case of bedhead :P

Here's a pic of Char, for all the non Gundam fans:

hamham3001
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by hamham3001 »

Hi.. im new to this forum...
i wanna say... souhaku's hair is damn cool... DAMN COOL!! (new or old) and he doesnt look woman to me... he just looks damn cool with that old outfit...
about that naruto thing.. i thought OhGreat was trying to copy naruto's head thingy for a joke.... and i dun get what that dream thing was about..
about the hot mom.. forgot her name..... did it say before or something why she got her arm chopped off?? and y is her eye like that again ?? caus i dun get y...
oh.. lol.. i just noticed how messed up souhaku's ear is on that double page...
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

hamham3001 wrote:about the hot mom.. forgot her name..... did it say before or something why she got her arm chopped off?? and y is her eye like that again ?? caus i dun get y...
Her eye was "eaten" by her dragon powers. In fact, the first time Souichirou used the Dragon's Fist/Punch on a real fight, (vs. Ishiyumi) he almost lost his leg. The other time he used it (vs. Tsumuji F) he almost lost his entire body. Makiko's other arm was also "eaten" when she tried to prevent that from happening to her son.

As for what's so special about the Takayanagi Clan being the head--I'm sure if we were provided a historical background of the clans, we'd get a clearer picture. Besides being good at martial arts, they have prestige, political power within the clans, and most likely, economic influence as well. And don't forget the Takayanagi legend of the True Warrior--which is actually one of the causes of Shin's downfall.
Shezy
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Shezy »

Shinpachi wrote:The headband Masataka had on in the first page reminded me of Naruto. Wasn't the Takayanagi family the head of all the feather families? So isn't it pretty likely there's some hidden power in their bloodline? That'd sure make a Masataka and Nagi fight interesting.
Okay, hold on... The only reason Nagi was so powerful in the recent fight was because he was resonating with Mataza, right? His power feeds off of the other Red Feathers. So I'd assume that if he fought Bob or Masataka he'd have his ass handed to him, since there'd be no resonance. Am I right or am I way off in my assumption?
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

^He can still use his powers even against them. It's just that it's more effective when he's resonating with another red feather at the same time. He did show signs of his power in the bowling alley against Mitsuomi, but then again he could've been just resonating with Aya--unless, of course, Mitsuomi has red feather abilities of his own that we're not seeing yet. Anyway, that how I see it.
Andii56
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Andii56 »

i dont really see why ppl are saying Masataka would lose to Nagi if he opens his dragon gate, he really doesnt get all that powerful unless he's fighting someone also from a red feather family.

of course, he does get very powerful, but the Takanayagi are the head family for a reason. if they could easily lose the red feather powers it wouldnt make sense them being so high in the food chain.
heh...
burrowowl
Doushi
Doushi

Post by burrowowl »

Andii56 wrote:i dont really see why ppl are saying Masataka would lose to Nagi if he opens his dragon gate, he really doesnt get all that powerful unless he's fighting someone also from a red feather family.

of course, he does get very powerful, but the Takanayagi are the head family for a reason. if they could easily lose the red feather powers it wouldnt make sense them being so high in the food chain.
The resonance isn't strictly necessary. Aya has exhibited her Dragon's Eye without being in direct conflict with another Red Feather, after all. Of course, you can't swing a dead cat by it's tail in this plotline without hitting somebody with Dragon's Gate abilities, so her use of the Dragon's Eye in the bowling alley could have been resonance off of Souichiro (or Masataka, or Mitsuomi, though we still have no strong evidence that the Takayanagis have such abilites). And it isn't necessary for the Takayanagis to have Red Feather abilities for those families to follow them. They may just be badasses. They may have used their political ties and wealth to cow the other families. We just don't know. I'm quite confident that "F" folks follow Mitsuomi becasue of his strength, but we've never been shown why the older generation followed Dougen.

As I've said before, Masataka and Souichiro's abilities are exactly as powerful as suits the plot at the moment. That's the only consistent factor in how powerful they are shown to be.
chumsy
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by chumsy »

for some reason i feel that mitsuomi isnt as powerful as he seems. he was hurt so bad by nagi in the early volume. and u really never see him do any techniques he just packs a powerful punch. i think nagis power is kinda lame tho its like dbz again. transforming with the hair bleh its been done . he has no unique fighting style like bob or masataka. in other words i find him a boring character. as for nagi's mom :( what a waste huh? oh well nothing we can do about that i dont think shes gonna get new pairs of arms(unless she has piccolo powers of regeneration wait no this is not DBZ). well im really eager to find out about masataka's new GF so i hear
Mellow Yellow
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Mellow Yellow »

I felt really bad for Makiko when she said, "I even lost the arm I use for tying things" :( Maybe they can get Tsumuji Mataza (F) to make her some sort of mechanical arms? That would be kinda cool.
Last edited by Mellow Yellow on Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
TW_J
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by TW_J »

ya i agree dat would be coool my question is tho wat exactly happened 8 yrs ago do they say??