The Toudou Gakuen Uniform

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

TheProvost
Yuurei
Yuurei

The Toudou Gakuen Uniform

Post by TheProvost »

I've become quite enamoured with the coat worn by the (male) characters as part of their uniform. Unfortunately, I've had no success in hunting down a similar coat in any of the places around me
hitori
Bushi
Bushi

Seifuku

Post by hitori »

That coat you talk about is the traditional male highschool uniform worn during the fall to spring semesters.
I can't think of another term, but it's generally referred to as 'seifuku' which means literally, 'uniform'.

The recent trend is to move away from that design to a brighter colored, less constricting designs.
But the "tough guys" type in comics still seem to prefer that look because of the nostalgic image, but generally it's an outdated design.

You can still buy them at a few school unifor shops though, so if you have any acquaintances in Japan, ask them to send you one.
Of course there needs to be a school that require the old style uniform in the district for a shop to carry it.

There is actually quite a wide range of design, in color and fit.
Unless you have them altered specifically to have a "cool" look, it'll look more or less like the design that can be seen in this manga:
http://www.manga-sketchbook.org/projects.php?id=37
hitori
Bushi
Bushi

Update

Post by hitori »

Update:

I found out that those uniforms are called "tsumeeri"

Tsume (stand up) eri (collar)...a descriptive term.

See photos here: http://www.ishii-sangyou.co.jp/normal/t ... meeri.html 8)

A hidden button design: http://www.ishii-sangyou.co.jp/original/photo2.jpg

Hope this helps.
standa-man
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by standa-man »

Yah, somehow those don't look quite as cool. Perhaps it's cuz the models aren't fighting. Perhaps it's cuz the collars seem to be higher on Oh!Great's designs (seem to be little hooks on the tall collars). Perhaps it's cuz Souichirou's coat actually goes down to his calves allowing for cool cape-like effects.
Rain_Cassidy
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Rain_Cassidy »

Heheheh... 8)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think I got this info from a reliable source.

Typical formal Jpnese school black uniforms are the ones you see on that website, with the length just below the belt. Something Masataka would wear.

But the DELINQUENT-TYPE uniforms, are either:
1. Ultra-short length, ending above the belt, so that the white shirt shows thru, or...
2. Longcoat length, like what Souichiro wears.

These were specifically sold to the niche market of the delinquent students, sort of like urban wear to American ghetto teens popularized by rapsters. If you're wearing an ultra-short or longcoat, you're basically advertising your status. It's part of why Iori Yagami was so cool: he was advertising his status with an UNIQUE delinquent uniform.

That's why you're not going to find those designs in a formal shop like that site. :wink:
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

It's part of why Iori Yagami was so cool: he was advertising his status with an UNIQUE delinquent uniform.
Huh? When did Yagami wear school uniforms?

In any case, Provost, if you want to see the uniform in 'cool' action check out Jet Li's flick 'Fist Of Legend'. He wears it quite well. Of course, the choreography by Yuen Wo Ping really helps.

Also, a more recent film would be the South Korean blockbuster 'Volcano High'.

Can't think of any other films right now.

Agent Wax
TheProvost
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by TheProvost »

Thanks for all the help guys.

hitori: The japanese terms were especially useful, thanks

Agent_Wax: I'll check out those movies ASAP

As you guys have pointed out, I can only find (rather lame) jackets in this style. The coats are too cool for a school uniform...

(On a side note, if my school used those uniforms, I'd definetly buy a 'delinquent' style coat)

Hopefully I'll find something from what info you guys have given.

Any other ideas/sugestions/hints/tips/whathave you are appreciated

Thanks again!
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

If you ever find the type of Jacket that Nagi wears - specifically with the beautiful color silk dragons embroidered on the inside, I would love one of those. heh.

"Because I'm supposed to be the hero."

I still like Nagi, no matter what everyone else thinks. heh.

fugu
Rain_Cassidy
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Rain_Cassidy »

On the question of Iori Yagami... if you look at his clothes, you can tell it's a Jpn high school uniform, except he tailored it to his own gothic/bondage tastes. That's why it's stupid for him to be still wearing it, even after graduation. He needs a makeover. :?

Jpn is a strict society. Even the outcasts have to conform, and find self-expression within the confines of the norm. The purpose of delinquent uniforms, is for those students to flaunt their outcast status, yet marginally get away with it since they're still wearing "uniforms." That's why Nagi's dragon designs are hidden in the inner layer. Iori's customized uniform is pushing it as far as it can be accepted, in a make-believe manga school.
If you ever find the type of Jacket that Nagi wears - specifically with the beautiful color silk dragons embroidered on the inside, I would love one of those. heh.
I thought the picture inside is duplicated from a historical wall scroll depicting a mythical hero slaying an evil sea serpent, and that Souichiro is in fact named after that hero. That's why when he waved his coat around and said "I'm supposed to be the hero," it had special significance. I'm not sure... I have to check.
The_Shape
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by The_Shape »

Make sure you post it here when you find Nagi's coat! :D
hitori
Bushi
Bushi

Delinquent Uniforms

Post by hitori »

Being a closed-minded socially-paranoid American, I wouldn't have the guts to wear such clothing out in the streets. :D

Heck, I don't think I can even indulge myself wearing that in the privates of my room. hahaha

If anyone gets hold of those jackets, take a couple cosplay photos and post them here!
blackkenshi
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by blackkenshi »

how does it work anyway. I mean with tailors. Do you bring them the clothing with no brand name insignias on it or they could make the clothes for you already. Cause I had this idea of buying a bomberman jacket with no logos or anything on it and then have a symbol of a dragon on the back.
standa-man
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by standa-man »

blackkenshi wrote:how does it work anyway. I mean with tailors. Do you bring them the clothing with no brand name insignias on it or they could make the clothes for you already. Cause I had this idea of buying a bomberman jacket with no logos or anything on it and then have a symbol of a dragon on the back.
For something like getting a custom logo usually you can either order the clothing from the place or bring in your own. It probably varies from place to place. My wushu school got custom fleeces from a either sporting goods or sport uniforms store. In that case we ordered the fleeces from them. There are also stores that customize in making logoed items. Those might work better than a simple tailor unless of course you're just adding a patch or something. I'm not sure if all tailors can do something like embroider/draw complex shapes.
Mr. Karate
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Mr. Karate »

I know this thread is kind of old, but I've just recently finished creating a jacket that looks similar to the ones the students wear. The only thing that I need to change are the buttons, but I had the jacket made to look "Fitted" and not baggy. I'll post a pic of it as soon as I get the film developed.
What's this? Do you dare taste Mr.Karate's fist of justice again?