tenten becomes stupid

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

Shin Natsume
Tamashii
Tamashii

tenten becomes stupid

Post by Shin Natsume »

the more im reading tenten, the less i like it.
everythign gets stupid now.
i remember seeing dragonball and thinking wow, cool, but then in the z sereis, everything begun to be so surreal, i had to quit after freeza because i simply hated it.
tenten gets surreal with every page.
okay it was never real i know, but it had at least the feeling.
but after the past story arch, nothing really good came up.
F sucks big dick, souichirodoesnt know what he wants anymore, and where is mitsuomi anyway?
he is not here, whats a stupid thing for the main bad guy.
imagine a spider-man movie whre the villian is off to take a nap and spiderman trains himself meanhile.
thats obviously stupid.
i hope this one gets back to old glance...
(thinks of ayashi no ceres wich became so stupid in the end, with this mana thing and toya being somekind of angel... really stupid)
Till tomorow is a better day to be,
you
Saito
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Saito »

Mistuomi isnt even the real bad guy ........
Shaggy McDaddy
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Shaggy McDaddy »

If you've read anything by Oh! Great you would know that this is his style of story telling and personally I really enjoy it.

Because the story is constantly changing it keeps things unpredictable and interesting. After the past arc if the story just went on to the election tournament and finished. Then the majority of the past arc would of been a great big waste of time and the story wouldn't be anywhere near and good as it is.

As for F personally I see them sort of like the Enforcement group characters from the bowling alley. In the long run they serve no real purpose, they are just there to help move the story along. Its like how when Oh! Great brought the Tsumuji story arc in at the end of volume 9, most people thought of it as pointless filler but it was all just to move the characters into place so Souhaku could be introduced. And I ended up really enjoying that arc.

As for Mitsuomi as Saito said he isn't even the real bad guy. I think however that he still has a very important role to play later in the story. That was suggested in chapter 68 when Kagurazaka said to him he only needs one more feather to complete his true wings.
hitori
Bushi
Bushi

welcome

Post by hitori »

Welcome to the world of monthly serialized shonen comics.
When a series gains popularity, the inevitable editor/management influences kick in to drag the story telling, stretch the length and to include merchandising elements.

Many many works have been subjected to this practice and have achieved commercial success at the expense of quality.
Just be glad there is no small cutesy magical animal in Tenjo Tenge. :lol:
omaren
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by omaren »

hmm.yeah, after how great the past arc was, the present seems to be kinda dull without appearances of mitsuomi and maya...but tenten seems interesting and i think it'll get better later on as soichirou finishes his training, i guess. 8)
chumsy
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by chumsy »

i think its begginning to get a lot better. the less important characters such as bob and masataka are starting to shine. i agree that a few parts were boring such as that whole enmi family part and lots of the martial arts are starting to look like dragon ball sigh thats prolly the main let down. first seeing very cool moves in the first few chapters with wrestiling moves to karate now its like shooting beams out of their fists and whatnot.

it sure is taking long for that election tournament to begin. too many new characters being introduced in a short amount of time can also be a bad thing. meaning less focus on them. ya and there needs to be more mitsuomi since hes the main reason why this is all happening
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

Honestly, I think saying that TT is becoming like Dragonball is somewhat stretching it too far. If that's what being said due to the powers that are being displayed by some characters, then you might as well condemn every manga that does the same thing. The powers in TT are quite diverse compared to those found in Dragonball.

And with regard to plot, I think the plot of TT is by far more "complex" than your usual here-comes-another-bad-guy scenario. Moreover, the characters in TT are more interesting than those found in DBZ, and the past arc grounds all of them on a specific direction.

It is however, not exempt from pulling a few cliches down the line and it's not perfectly seamless. Nevertheless, the story of Dragonball is still more static than the story of TT.
Saito
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Saito »

why does everyone compare ever "power boost" anime with dbz... i mean fist of the north star was first dbz predecessor
Enforcer
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Enforcer »

dbz is one of the most popular anime
even if people don't know anything about anime, chances are they heard about dbz, and hence makes a often used base for comparison
but then again, how else are you gonna display a 'power boost', how many other ways are there to make it very obvious?
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

I personally like the way things are going. Yes outstreching it sucks, I won't argue that, but I like it alot better now than I did the first 4 volumes. I really don't like the action before the Past Arc, which is why I haven't kept up with the anime. I also think that without the F and Shohaku, this manga probably could have ended around Vol. 10. Yet, the last few Volumes have provided some really nice Fights: Nagi v. Ishiyumi, Nagi v. Mataza, Madoka v. Bob, Izuzu, & Masataka, Necro Fu v. Aya, Tawara, Masataka. Im glad to see an end to the training and the real action begin. I can't wait to get the next Fight. BTW, DBZ good, DBGT was an extension which wasn't really necessary and repetive, and how many times is Goku going to slay the villian with dam spirit bomb. That's lame to me
Dembol
Doushi
Doushi

Post by Dembol »

Stretching a manga when it becomes popular is usually a bad thing ,but with TJTG it's not necessary wrong. The storyline expands nicely, some new interesting characters are introduced (Souhaku) , some old ones return (Tawara YAY!!).
At least it's not like: the "good" characters beat the "evil boss" and the new one comes into his place , but a lot stronger.
And after this one comes another, and another.....and another until people are sick of it.
What's also nice is that the plot is not as predictable (well most of it) as in most of other mangas.
The only thing that irritates me is that recently there's too many "dragon gate-superpowers" and not enough real fighting.
Shin Natsume
Tamashii
Tamashii

well

Post by Shin Natsume »

ive read everything by oh!great, and i canot really see anything like the way tenten changes.
majindevil had a really unexpected ending, so did himikoden (wich was not written by oogure at all, but .. oh well..)
but tenten changes everytime you read another chapter...
this really becomes stupid, since in the beginning, we saw souichirou and bob batteling for dominance, and they changed their intentions almost 180 degrees...
and now, that its unsure that souichiro turns bad, i canot help myself saysing: oh god please let this end soon...
sorry but thats what i think...
Till tomorow is a better day to be,
you
chumsy
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by chumsy »

i totally agree with you Dembol not enough real fighting. i thouht nagi was a pretty cool character in the beginning but now im disliking him more and more. im tired of seeing him beat his enemies with such ease when he transforms. wheres the struggle? there was no point to his training if he coulda obtained all this power from the dragon gate. thats why i like masataka and bob they are more original imo
Shaggy McDaddy
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Shaggy McDaddy »

chumsy wrote:im tired of seeing him beat his enemies with such ease when he transforms. wheres the struggle? there was no point to his training if he coulda obtained all this power from the dragon gate.
Did you miss all of volume 11?

The struggle is with himself and his own power. He was born with incredible power but has no way to controlling it when its released. So until he manages to control it somehow he is putting himself and everybody at risk everytime he losses control of it. His mother already paid a high price for that and if she wasn't there he would be dead.

If thats not a struggle I don't know what is.
chumsy
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by chumsy »

well what i meant was the battles are so one sided. hes always owning the other person. isnt there family just one of the red feathers why is it that they are so powerful compared to the other families. i dont know why the takayanagi family is at the top anymore. they dont have any special powers but money welll i guess money is power.
Shaggy McDaddy
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Shaggy McDaddy »

The battles might look one sided in Nagi's favor but they aren't really.

When Nagi fought Ishiyumi, he looked like he was winning but the facts are Nagi was beaten and Ishiyumi was holding back during the fight.

As for Nagi's fight with Tsumuji, they were about even at the begining of the fight. The fight didn't become one sided until Nagi lost himself in his power and the Dragon took over. Then the fight wasn't between him and Tsumuji anymore it was a fight with himself. And that was a very one sided fight except it wasn't Nagi that was winning.
Dembol
Doushi
Doushi

Post by Dembol »

The battles start to be one-sided when Nagi snaps, switches to "dragon power mode" and his hair turns black (somehow it reminds me DB). He just beats the crap of his enemies afterwards. Without his power he'd get beaten easily. Yeah, his powers may seem dangerous for him and his family/friends, but, come on, how many of you think that Oh!Great plans on killing/severely injuring his main character. I guess that in the near future Souichiro'll probably learn how to control his powers (at least a little so that he won't turn into a mindless berserker again [like when fightin' Mataza]).

I'm happy that for the time being he and his stupid powers are hidden backstage and some real fighters like Bob, Masataka and Tawara are in the spotlight. And I hope Bob can recover fast so he can kick some ass again (maybe Mitsuomi'll send his "doc" to help him...the same who cured Ishiyumi...Mitsuomi seems to like Bob more and more recently...).
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Dembol wrote:The battles start to be one-sided when Nagi snaps, switches to "dragon power mode" and his hair turns black (somehow it reminds me DB). He just beats the crap of his enemies afterwards. Without his power he'd get beaten easily. Yeah, his powers may seem dangerous for him and his family/friends, but, come on, how many of you think that Oh!Great plans on killing/severely injuring his main character. I guess that in the near future Souichiro'll probably learn how to control his powers (at least a little so that he won't turn into a mindless berserker again [like when fightin' Mataza]).
did you expect Nagi Makiko to lose her other arm? I didn't.

And what makes you think Nagi Souichirou is the main character? There are other important characters as well. Chapter 74 even shows us that some things we were sure of, might not be so correct.

I wouldn't put it over Oh! Great to have Nagi lose to his Dragon. I'm not so confident as you are that Nagi Souichirou is unkillable in this manga.
Dembol wrote: I'm happy that for the time being he and his stupid powers are hidden backstage and some real fighters like Bob, Masataka and Tawara are in the spotlight. And I hope Bob can recover fast so he can kick some ass again (maybe Mitsuomi'll send his "doc" to help him...the same who cured Ishiyumi...Mitsuomi seems to like Bob more and more recently...).
Rooster
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Rooster »

I'm inclined to agree with Shaggy. Souichirou has fought two (2) battles in superman-mode, one of which he has lost. You make it sound like he has been battering up people left and right without breaking a sweat.

Sure, he was winning against Ishiyumi, but he wasn't the victor, and it's pretty much useless how good you did unless you win. Mataza he pretty much pulverized even when he wasn't berserking, but battles rarely rage very long even sided. The better one, the stronger one will do quick work of the other, and this time it was Souichirou. I don't know if you're looking for Souichirou impaled on a spear or a fight where he gets hit down time after time, but manages to get up and win marginally. A struggle might be more worth watching but aforementioned fights are mostly manure (*cough* Shadow Skill 'G' v Gau ending *cough*). What makes it bad to see an asskicking? I don't remember being any less exhilerated reading Conan when he cleaved through his enemies.

Moreover, if people are complaining about Souichirou
Dembol
Doushi
Doushi

Post by Dembol »

did you expect Nagi Makiko to lose her other arm? I didn't.
I also didn't.
Call me blind, but I actually noticed that she had only one arm when she woke up in the hostpital after losing it.... I really don't know how I could've missed it earlier (and I've read TJTG like 3-4 times)....
And what makes you think Nagi Souichirou is the main character? There are other important characters as well. Chapter 74 even shows us that some things we were sure of, might not be so correct.
Maybe he's not the only main character, but that's just my impression that he's somewhat the most important character of the story.
I'm currently at ch68 so I know a bit less than you guys... (but i'm goin to catch up to ch72 in a few minutes when my DLs finish:))
"Without his power", do you mean without blackhair-mode or just his bloodline? Since he has plenty of 'energy' when he's blonde too (Souichirou vs. Mitsuomi).
Without the "blackhair-mode". I gotta agree with you here: He's still powerful, but much weaker, in his "normal" form. Without the power he'd just be beaten in both of his last fights .

EDIT: I've just read up to 72. Jeez, it's gettin' crazier and crazier...but I love it even more :D
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

If you just want to be darn picky about it, the power-ups in DBZ just make them stronger, but they're all practically the same. It's just the hair and the muscles. At least for Souichirou, he actually discovers something about himself that he never knew before--for better or for worse. And as for Souichirou's "one-sided" fights--don't take it at face value. To be frank about it, I just love the part where Ishiyumi wins by a tooth--just to show that blatant ass-kicking powers are not everything, especially with regard to powers like Souichirou and Makiko's Dragon Fist.
Mataza-kun
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Mataza-kun »

Well, I too agree on the fact that "power-up transformation" is an often-used device, but i think oh!great has faced the matter in a interesting way. Like Nagi said once "He hasn't been in a battle where he could say he has "won". Neither the battle with Ishiyumi nor the one with Mataza IMO show a victory. In the last one the battle could have ended in two ways: 1- Makiko stops him, risking his life 2- The dragon takes over Soichiro, and his body is destroyed. I wouldn't call "easy victory" neither of these two.
And, from what I understood, you dislike also the futuristic technology which is dominant in the later chapters. IMO it only underlines one of the several themes: The generation conflict between old (the 12 phoenix god generals) and new, young (F).
I think right now tenjo tenge is what for me is nearest to the definition of "perfect manga" (= it has no things I dislike)
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

Mitsuomi seems to like Bob more and more recently...).
What does everyone think the odds are that Bob will end up joining Mitsuomi? Bob looked really impressed with Mitsuomi's faith in him during his fight with Madoka...
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

^I say 50-50 Bob joins. I'm just wondering what Mitsuomi sees in Bob that he doesn't see in Masataka. Or his reasons maybe? I mean, Mitsuomi was watching Bob, but not Masataka?
User151
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by User151 »

pv82 wrote:I personally like the way things are going. Yes outstreching it sucks, I won't argue that, but I like it alot better now than I did the first 4 volumes. I really don't like the action before the Past Arc, which is why I haven't kept up with the anime. I also think that without the F and Shohaku, this manga probably could have ended around Vol. 10. Yet, the last few Volumes have provided some really nice Fights: Nagi v. Ishiyumi, Nagi v. Mataza, Madoka v. Bob, Izuzu, & Masataka, Necro Fu v. Aya, Tawara, Masataka. Im glad to see an end to the training and the real action begin. I can't wait to get the next Fight. BTW, DBZ good, DBGT was an extension which wasn't really necessary and repetive, and how many times is Goku going to slay the villian with dam spirit bomb. That's lame to me
i was only able to read the translated ones so can u guys tell me when did izuzu & mastaka fought with madoka?
also who is FU?
did aya, tawara and maasataka join forces to fight with him
It is a good day to die
By the way, Maya is my heroine
chumsy
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by chumsy »

fu chien was the guy in the past arc he was killed by natsume shin but was revived i guess. i believe fu was involved with the chinese mafia i forgot the rest.
User151
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by User151 »

chumsy wrote:fu chien was the guy in the past arc he was killed by natsume shin but was revived i guess. i believe fu was involved with the chinese mafia i forgot the rest.

thanks for the info i can't read japanese so i'll hav to wait 4 the translated ones.. :(
It is a good day to die
By the way, Maya is my heroine