the ancient chap40

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

basik
Yuurei
Yuurei

the ancient chap40

Post by basik »

im very sorry for being extremely lazy but:

> was maya actually raped at the end of chap 39(40?) or did they only make it look so to set off shin?
> the translation and the sfx dont exactly help to understand what really happened there
<Sleepy`We> i read it as just looked so, i figured if they bothered to show the first one, why cut the 2nd one out
<Sleepy`We> tho i was not clear on it either
> i thought so too
> plus i dont really think they had much time to do anything cause shin was already going to class at the end of 39 (or was it 40)
> but maya looked pretty bad and down
> the image really had much impact
<Sleepy`We> ask fugu, he translated it :P

so fugu i ask you for your comment. i wanted to ask that question when i first read the manga but then i had other things to do and forgot completely but now i reread it and it still kinda bothers me
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

It was ambigious. I don't know. Maya hasn't made any comments either way.
Rooster
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Rooster »

I wasn't asked but I'm going to butt in anyway.

Maya was not raped.

1) The martial artists were cool, calm and collected. They were professionals doing a job.

2) Fu's words "It makes a nice picture but it still doesn't have enough impact" doesn't imply rape. It implied making her look disgraced, so Shin would lose it. Hey, he'd have lost it even if she only had a scratch.

3) One would think a rape would affect Maya's behaviour even at the present time in the manga.

I never got the impression she was raped in the story, thus I am utterly convicted she was not, so you may rest assured about this, since I say so.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Rooster wrote: 3) One would think a rape would affect Maya's behaviour even at the present time in the manga.
I think so as well, which is why I'm inclined to say that she wasn't raped, but nowhere in the manga did they come out and say one way or the other. So it is ... ambigious. Take it how you will.
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

One would think a rape would affect Maya's behaviour even at the present time in the manga.
I don't believe Maya was raped, but I'd just like to point out that rape is often not realistically handled in seinen and shonen manga. Chiaki is an example.
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

I don't think she was raped either. Just like what Rooster said, Fu Chien's men were cool and professional. In that scene, they didn't look like a bunch of guys who had just gang raped a young woman. Of course, I'm also inclined to agree with Agent Wax and Fugu. The story leaves it open for you to figure it out for yourself.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Agent_Wax wrote:
One would think a rape would affect Maya's behaviour even at the present time in the manga.
I don't believe Maya was raped, but I'd just like to point out that rape is often not realistically handled in seinen and shonen manga. Chiaki is an example.
Chiaki herself did show some effects from her rape - although it really seemed to weigh heavily on Bob. But I do agree, I think Chiaki should have been much more upset than the few dialouge bubbles later attributed to her showed. (She did at least try to get Bob to quit the school.)
User151
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by User151 »

FuguTabetai wrote: Chiaki herself did show some effects from her rape - although it really seemed to weigh heavily on Bob. But I do agree, I think Chiaki should have been much more upset than the few dialouge bubbles later attributed to her showed. (She did at least try to get Bob to quit the school.)

But she was angry with Maya at the Bowling alley, right?
She said that she might never 've been raped by Ryuzaki.
But does she mean "real rape" or just referring sexual harassment as a kinda rape? don't know cos i can't read the real TenTen i can only read the ones you tranlate :D
It is a good day to die
By the way, Maya is my heroine
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

User151 wrote:
FuguTabetai wrote: Chiaki herself did show some effects from her rape - although it really seemed to weigh heavily on Bob. But I do agree, I think Chiaki should have been much more upset than the few dialouge bubbles later attributed to her showed. (She did at least try to get Bob to quit the school.)

But she was angry with Maya at the Bowling alley, right?
She said that she might never 've been raped by Ryuzaki.
But does she mean "real rape" or just referring sexual harassment as a kinda rape? don't know cos i can't read the real TenTen i can only read the ones you tranlate :D
I try to make my translations as accurate as possible. If there is ever any doubt, I put in a translation note. She means real rape.