what's with shin saying maya is his flame??

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

omaren
Yuurei
Yuurei

what's with shin saying maya is his flame??

Post by omaren »

i don't get it?? I thought i understood it, but i didn't. Why does he say that maya is his flame and that the flames are burning him?? o_0;;; i mean, it's cute and all, but i'm just having a hard time understanding it.
Maya
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Maya »

^^; I didn't catch it either. But I guess Shin loves Maya. Shin Natsume may have some kind of feelings for Mana, but who he really loves is no one but Maya - his little sister. Maya is his only flame ... and loving her is not good, therefore the "flame" is burning him o.O ? Hmm it's so complicated & incest is sure involved here.
omaren
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by omaren »

Maya wrote:^^; I didn't catch it either. But I guess Shin loves Maya. Shin Natsume may have some kind of feelings for Mana, but who he really loves is no one but Maya - his little sister. Maya is his only flame ... and loving her is not good, therefore the "flame" is burning him o.O ? Hmm it's so complicated & incest is sure involved here.

aww...:3 <3 <3 that's soooo cute!! XD aha..i kinda see it now!! thanks!! umm....in vol. 7 [i think..] when fu chien tore maya's clothes off and Shin got crazy...and then mitsuomi came in and maya shouted his name, why did maya say that she shouldn't have yelled out "Mitsuomi"?? and then mitsuomi went to the tournament thingy and beat up whoever it was, and then he met mana afterwards and started coughing blood again...why did he say that it would be too sad if he didn't come? Wait--is that because he thinks that maya would think that it's her fault?? @_@ i love tenten, but sometimes, i get confused...maybe i'm not thinking too deep..
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

The flame is relative to the self-destructive behaviour of the moth. Moths are drawn to light, in this case, the flame, and will approach it, even at the expense of being burned. For Shin, it simply means that Maya is the flame that draws him (the moth) towards her, but is also the flame that will burn and destroy him. He fully realises this, but 'forewarned is seldom forearmed' as he is just not strong enough to fight his attraction to the 'flame'. This is, of course, one of the themes of Fate in the story...

Occasionally, it's important to think with your heart as well as your head, because logic cannot really explain emotions... :wink:
Shaggy McDaddy
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Shaggy McDaddy »

omaren wrote:aww...:3 <3 <3 that's soooo cute!! XD aha..i kinda see it now!! thanks!! umm....in vol. 7 [i think..] when fu chien tore maya's clothes off and Shin got crazy...and then mitsuomi came in and maya shouted his name, why did maya say that she shouldn't have yelled out "Mitsuomi"??
She said she shouldn't of yelled out his name because that is what set Shin off and made him attack Mitsuomi.
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

Agent Wax wrote:The flame is relative to the self-destructive behaviour of the moth. Moths are drawn to light, in this case, the flame, and will approach it, even at the expense of being burned. For Shin, it simply means that Maya is the flame that draws him (the moth) towards her, but is also the flame that will burn and destroy him. He fully realises this, but 'forewarned is seldom forearmed' as he is just not strong enough to fight his attraction to the 'flame'. This is, of course, one of the themes of Fate in the story...
I agree. Moreover, the theme of fate is something man cannot avoid being drawn into. Shin knows that he'll end up being burned, yet that realization ironically draws him deeper into the flame. With all this talk of fate being one of the themes of the story, I think we should also look into the conflicting theme of free will, which I think is more emphasized in the present arc.
omaren
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by omaren »

Agent_Wax wrote:For Shin, it simply means that Maya is the flame that draws him (the moth) towards her, but is also the flame that will burn and destroy him.
o_0;;;...so Maya can destroy shin?? :shock: Maybe i'm just not getting all this..
Rooster
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Rooster »

o_0;;;...so Maya can destroy shin?? Maybe i'm just not getting all this..
Not literally. Let's face it, Shin had the hots for his little sister. This fact (and what he thought of it) made him a little short of sane, or "a bit edgy".

Maya may have been Shin's demise inadvertently, but the only one who destroyed Shin was Shin himself.
Mataza-kun
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Mataza-kun »

Yeah, i think the flame refers to his love (destorted or forced, as he says he loves her only after he kills his parents), or maybe passion (later when they grow up), which eventualy leads him insane (maybe 'cause it was repressed, and 'cause of the spirits of his parents and a lot of other things...)
pure
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by pure »

shin's love for maya definitely seems to border on incest but then you must put yourself in his position. due to his abilities and age, he saw the situation as his parents trying to turn on him. the only person that was always there, that never seemed to judge him, was maya.

after he killed his parents, she became the only person he had as aya wasn't really present throughout the arc. at such a young age, with such an "evil" power residing within him, shin was afraid of being consumed by himself if he was left alone(an example of this being how terrified he was when his parents caged him by himself while the dragon's eye was still, at an uncontrollable rate at that, cramming images into his head. to see how tightly he clung to maya when she came to see him confirmed this for me). with maya being his only "company", the only person that brought him back to where he had come from, of course he would desire to keep her as close as possible. as long as she survived, as long as she was alright, he had a person that could save him. he had a person he could come back to.

he was a moth being drawn to her flame, not because of the attraction most people point out, but because of the warmth that being in her presence brought him. maya had always seemed, as far as shin could see, to be the only person that loved him unconditionally. bunshichi made it clear when he said shin only seemed alive when he was protecting maya, she served as shin's heart. even seeing the results of his dependence on her, shin could not deny the warmth she brought him. who could?

it seems childish to want a family member there with you all the time but, in a way, shin's childhood--possibly, his "life"--ended prematurely. he didn't have time to develop that need for independence that comes around your teens. all signs point to his emotional growth stopping that day he killed his parents and maya became his only source of love. even when he died being held by that girl with the glasses, he wanted maya there the same way a momma's boy has a girlfriend yet still "clings" to his mother.
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

he was a moth being drawn to her flame, not because of the attraction most people point out, but because of the warmth that being in her presence brought him. maya had always seemed, as far as shin could see, to be the only person that loved him unconditionally. bunshichi made it clear when he said shin only seemed alive when he was protecting maya, she served as shin's heart. even seeing the results of his dependence on her, shin could not deny the warmth she brought him. who could?
I agree with everything you wrote, but I didn't mean sexual attraction. There is attraction between friends. Attraction between matter. Frogs are attracted to water. Cold mammals are attracted by heat.

I'd also like to point out that while the incestous or 'sexual desire for one's sister' theme is often suggested in the story, there are no actual overt evidence or incidences of it. Shin's love for Maya may well have been intense sibling love and his need for her as a sheath and protector may not necessarily have a sexual component (unless you're Sigmund Freud, of course).

Maya may have been Shin's demise inadvertently, but the only one who destroyed Shin was Shin himself.
Well said, Rooster. Maya was aware what she was to Shin, but she didn't encourage him. Some may say that she didn't discourage him either, but there wasn't anything she could do to discourage him, really. She couldn't well abandon her own brother to burn in hell. In a sense, she couldn't abandon or reject him, because she knew what she was to him.
omaren
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by omaren »

ah.....^_____________^ that's cool. So then since Shin loves Maya a lot, he hates Mitsuomi then huh?
TW_J
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by TW_J »

omaren wrote:ah.....^_____________^ that's cool. So then since Shin loves Maya a lot, he hates Mitsuomi then huh?
lol hey wow i havent been on this forum in awhile anywayz ya its not that shin hates mitsoumi directly shin hates ppl that get too close to her....i think mitsoumi just so happens to get really close to maya then any other character other than shin in the series.
lost
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by lost »

After Shin's "power" awaken, and Maya being the only one there for him after he killed his parents, Maya was his only "light" in the world, he's being over protective as Bunshichi said that the only way he uses his power is for protecting his sister. The only reason he even had to fight Mitsuomi and Bunshichi was mainly cause of Maya (Maya hunting down Team Katana and Shin was being over protective), that's why Shin was referring her as fire, he saw that a long time ago with his dragon eye, but he doesn't care and that he'll jump into the "fire" because Maya is the only light he could find, just like what Moth do.