"Air gear" ad

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

prometheus
Yuurei
Yuurei

"Air gear" ad

Post by prometheus »

Hi all,

I was surfing for some new Oh! great stuff and finally came across some "Air gear" work

http://www.the-ryoweb.com/actu/air_gear.htm

Its an ad from Shonen Magazine where the story is currently being published.

Does anyone know anthing about this series?
Emlan^_^
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Emlan^_^ »

yeah,...snoopy from snooplycool might consider to translate it when maijin devil finsihes up :0 I hope >3<
The_Shape
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by The_Shape »

What i want to know is:

is he going to finish TT soon? Because when an artist makes two mangas at the same time, one will always end up on the hands of his assistants (usually the "older" one).

I don't wannna see TT fall to the ground. I don't even like the way this new manga looks! Sure, Maijin Devil was good, but Himiko-den is not that great, and none of thsoe two are even half as good as TT...
standa-man
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by standa-man »

Actually from the scans I've seen here http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tjtg_ml/

The art already looks somewhat different... has he already shifted work over to assistants?

As for how long TT will run.. I have no idea. I'm interested in knowing what the story after the past arc is like though. Being focused on Nagi and all it seems like it would be a very different setting, cuz thus far everything except the very beginning maybe, seems to have been either working towards of a part of the past arc.

I can't wait to see what Oh!Great tries out next for Air Gears though... from the little I've seen and read about it (don't remember from where) it seems like something totally different from Oh!Great's past works, which could prove to be interesting.
hitori
Bushi
Bushi

Assistants

Post by hitori »

What you worry is quite true The_Shape.

As early as Book 8, you can see some noticible changes in drawing style in TJTG.
I just casually wondered about the sudden change, but if what you say is true, it can be explained.
Oh!Great mangas' forte/appeal has always been in the meticulous detail and the beautifully and or hideously deformed bodies but...

Ah well, he'll eventually learn to quality control his works even with assistants.
He's still pretty new to the mainstream manga world afterall.
I just hope he doesn't commercialize or burn out... :cry:
Ger24
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Ger24 »

Are there volumes of air gear? or did it just start in shonen magazine. Oh! Great's art has changed it is getting a little worse in january's Ultra Jump some of the characters like aya face looked diffrent.
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

As early as Book 8, you can see some noticible changes in drawing style in TJTG.
I just casually wondered about the sudden change, but if what you say is true, it can be explained.
Oh!Great mangas' forte/appeal has always been in the meticulous detail and the beautifully and or hideously deformed bodies but...
Hmm. I actually didn't notice the artwork 'getting worse'. Thought it was getting better... :)

But in any case, when someone draws a series for a long time, the later work usually looks slightly different from the earlier (check out Kosuke Fujishima's Aa! Megamisama). This could be due to assisstants, of course, but could also be because the mangaka needs time to get used to drawing the characters and locations or that he/she is simply evolving his/her style little by little. Stylistic evolution is something most long term artists go through, even those not working on comics.

Agent Wax

[/i]
Honeyman
Yuurei
Yuurei
Location: Leeds, England (right now, studying in Kyoto, Japan)

Post by Honeyman »

Wow, I`ll have to look through my volumes again to see if this really is the case. I also hope that the artistic integrity remains (it`s always a shame when something great dwindles into poor quality :cry: !)

So Air Gear is drawn by Oh Great!? I didn`t know at the time but I remember the first time I saw it I was really impressed with artwork. It`s really bold and seems to stand out from many of the other series running in Magazine. I`ll have to check it out again (although I`m not a fan of roller skating to be honest!)
If you see a foreigner on the streets in Kyoto in late July, asking for 50¥ coins so he can play in the arcades, that`ll be me (and a bowl of chashumen please!)
GreatTeacherStone
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by GreatTeacherStone »

I do know one thing about Air Gears, it's about rollerblading... that by defualt means it sucks, rollerblading is the single dumbest sport of all time. they have a million different grinds where the difference between 2 of them could be that the toes are down or up or some stupid thing like that. Rollerblading is a joke, Skateboarding is a REAL Xtreme sport!
The_Shape
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by The_Shape »

I just hope this Air Gear thing gets cancelled ASAP and Great goes back for Tenjho. So far only a couple chapters had noticeably bad art, but still, i feel like, if Great doesn't want to put his all in TT anymore, than just end the damn thing.

Tenjho is an excellent manga and deserves his full attention, being second to a damn rollerblading manga is pathetic.