Note from a reader on my bad translation in Chapter 70

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Note from a reader on my bad translation in Chapter 70

Post by FuguTabetai »

I got this note from genkat about an early translation in chapter 70:
Going by what very little I know (mostly hacked from Chinese), 四象 can also mean "four forms" in a rather archaic sense. Makes more sense than elephants, at least. And 生 can mean "rise".
Anyway, thought you might like to know. Thanks for the translations - it's been a long time since I've enjoyed a manga this much.

genkat
I'm still not sure what Masataka is talking about, but I give you my best effort, and put the rest in a note.
User151
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by User151 »

Yeah this one's also the one I can't understand. I don't understand Japanese so Kanji characters are a long way off for me.
I don't know this is just based on assumption. Maybe "giving birth to both forms (of the elements)" . Yin and Yang can also be assume as the Light and the Dark right?
It is a good day to die
By the way, Maya is my heroine
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

Oh, and by the by, regarding translations.

I think it was chapter 73, Fugu. Anyway, it's "coup d'etat", not "coup de ta". You had that in there a couple of times.
Natsume Maya
Bushi
Bushi

Re: Note from a reader on my bad translation in Chapter 70

Post by Natsume Maya »

FuguTabetai wrote:I got this note from genkat about an early translation in chapter 70:
Going by what very little I know (mostly hacked from Chinese), 四象 can also mean "four forms" in a rather archaic sense.
I did a bit of looking around. I think the terms used in that line all relate to geomancy (or something like that). As best as I can work out, that line may be something like:
"Based on the Yin Yang and the Five Elements it is said 'from the Limitless [perfect unity] comes the Supreme Ultimate, which gives birth to the Two States [yin and yang] and forms the Four Stages [yin, yin within yang, yang, yang within yin]'."
As to the Four Stages, note that the yin yang symbol is made up of four parts: the yin part, the yang part, the dot of yin within the yang and the dot of yang within the yin.
Natsume Danjou Maya.
http://natsumemaya.net/ (new website address)
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

MrProphet wrote:Oh, and by the by, regarding translations.

I think it was chapter 73, Fugu. Anyway, it's "coup d'etat", not "coup de ta". You had that in there a couple of times.
I totally tried to look that up, and couldn't even get close on www.m-w.com so I just gave it the old college try. I'll do a global change/replace on that and at least update my sources, but I don't think it is worth changing the torrent for... Thanks though.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Re: Note from a reader on my bad translation in Chapter 70

Post by FuguTabetai »

Natsume Maya wrote: I did a bit of looking around. I think the terms used in that line all relate to geomancy (or something like that). As best as I can work out, that line may be something like:
"Based on the Yin Yang and the Five Elements it is said 'from the Limitless [perfect unity] comes the Supreme Ultimate, which gives birth to the Two States [yin and yang] and forms the Four Stages [yin, yin within yang, yang, yang within yin]'."
As to the Four Stages, note that the yin yang symbol is made up of four parts: the yin part, the yang part, the dot of yin within the yang and the dot of yang within the yin.
Natsume Maya, thanks that is a bit more clear. I'll try to work this in too as well.
genkat
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by genkat »

Another correction I found while going through Chinese translations:

in ch71 page 44-45 where Souhaku says
"In heaven, or on earth...There is only one of you"
[Trans. Note] But Kago Souhaku Jyouun is speaking ... in what sounds to be an old style, or a set phrase
The phrase in Chinese is 天上天下 唯我獨尊 "In heaven, on earth (ten jo, ten ge), only I rule" and is supposedly the first thing the Buddha said when he was born.
Souhaku declaring he has complete control over the martial arts world? Nastier guy than I thought.
User151
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by User151 »

Wow that's quite fitting with the four forms that genkat wrote.
The phrase in Chinese is 天上天下 唯我獨尊 "In heaven, on earth (ten jo, ten ge), only I rule" and is supposedly the first thing the Buddha said when he was born.
Souhaku declaring he has complete control over the martial arts world? Nastier guy than I thought.

Hey r u Buddhist? So Souhaku might be the baddd...person we're looking for after all. But he sure doesn't look like one when you see his face...

On a personal note : You guys are really great. ...Surely three heads are better than one. I salute you...
It is a good day to die
By the way, Maya is my heroine
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

Yeah, and somewhere in volume 11 Isuzu says something in French, but I can't find it anymore ... It was something with 'ami'

I remember somethin being wrong, but can't remember what it was either
Natsume Maya
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Natsume Maya »

genkat wrote:in ch71 page 44-45 where Souhaku says
"In heaven, or on earth...There is only one of you"
[Trans. Note] But Kago Souhaku Jyouun is speaking ... in what sounds to be an old style, or a set phrase
There is the same phrase, using the same characters, in Japanese: "tenjou tenge yuiga dokuson". However, Oh! great did not use that phrase (even though it exists in Japanese).

Even so, when I first read that part, that was basically what I took Kago to be saying (although Fugu's interpretation also seems to fit). To me, he seems to be saying:
"In heaven, on earth..."
"There is only me..."
"I alone am exalted."
Natsume Danjou Maya.
genkat
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by genkat »

There is the same phrase, using the same characters, in Japanese: "tenjou tenge yuiga dokuson". However, Oh! great did not use that phrase (even though it exists in Japanese).
What did he use then? I (am an idiot for never taking the class) can't read Japanese.

Oh, and not Buddhist, or religious at all - I just read a lot of mythology.
Natsume Maya
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Natsume Maya »

genkat wrote:
What did he use then?
天の下 天の上
唯一人我あり
一人我のみ尊し
See also this thread for slightly more discussion.
Natsume Danjou Maya.