Looks like DC licensed Tenjo Tenge.

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

Banorac wrote:So, where can we got the other chapters of volume 12 ?
I think this is the last Fight of Volume 12
Fight 69 concluded Vol.11
So its 70 -71 - 72 -73 -74 -75 ( Yeah SIx Chapters makes Vol. 12) just in time too, seeing as it was going to get released in August. I am suspecting that Oh Great might take a Break next month.

Good News and Bad News

Good - Most likely the Next Ultra Jump is going to come with a Color intro for Vol. 13 :D .

Bad News - Unless Oh Great Releases Multiple Fights a month, we probably won't see Vol. 13 in manga format until 2005. But you will get to see the chapters in Ultra Jump.

Maybe if Natsume Maya or anyone else has heard diffrent, please correct me, if I am wrong.

Edit: Is seems there will be A FIght on next months Ultra Jump
Last edited by pv82 on Fri Jun 25, 2004 9:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
EliteF22
Senpai
Senpai

Post by EliteF22 »

Just a quick question. How does the Naruto author pump out a chapter a week?
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

EliteF22 wrote:Just a quick question. How does the Naruto author pump out a chapter a week?
He has a larger staff than Oh Great :twisted: . No seriously, I think he does. Plus I don't think Tenge Tenjo is not making nearly as much money as Naruto is.
Natsume Maya
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Natsume Maya »

FuguTabetai wrote:Yes I agree; I'm not decided on that issue yet really. I'm not sure if I will just put out a text translation, or if I will put these JavaScript things like I did with 75. I have to think about it for a while first.
I did check out chapter 75 and I think the JavaScript you've put in is nifty (though I still don't agree with release with images :) ). It reminds me of Kodansha's manga preview website. If you haven't visited that site before, you may be interested to check it out to see how the coding differs from yours.
pv82 wrote:Good - Most likely the Next Ultra Jump is going to come with a Color intro for Vol. 13 :D .

Bad News - Unless Oh Great Releases Multiple Fights a month, we probably won't see Vol. 13 in manga format until 2005. But you will get to see the chapters in Ultra Jump.

Maybe if Natsume Maya or anyone else has heard diffrent, please correct me, if I am wrong.
Nope, I haven't heard anything different. The next Ultrajump will come with a colour intro for TenTen, presumably for volume 13. Like you, I assume Fight 75 will be the final chapter in volume 12. I'm also assuming that volume 13 won't be published until next year.
Natsume Danjou Maya.
http://natsumemaya.net/ (new website address)
P_Amiel
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by P_Amiel »

A lot of you mentioned how manga is seriously butchered or has its images censored and whatnot when it is licensed. Well, maybe its just me, but I don't think I have actually seen a manga that got censored once it was brought over to the States.

If any of you are fans of Battle Royale and have looked at TokyoPop's release of the manga, you'll see that they (as far as I know) didn't censor the images. All of the violence and sex is still there. And yes, there is a lot more violence and sex in Battle Royale than in Tenjo Tenge. Granted, the manga was an adaptation (read: rape the original story line, change the characters into teenyboppers), and this was a huge disappointment, but at least they were loyal to the original art, right? :?

I think the only manga whose art I've seen edited for its American release is Ono Toshihiro's Pokemon, but that was several years ago, before there was the manga revolution boom that is going on today.

I guess what I am getting to is this: what are examples of heavily edited manga in the American market today? I'd love to take a look at some of these and compare them to the originals.

And yes, I, too, hope DC/CMX Manga doesn't destroy Tenjo Tenge. It would be wonderful if the story and all of the art remained intact and the book was just given an "M" or "18+" label and shrink-wrapped, which is what is done with Battle Royale. While DC wants to reach out to as many people as they can to rake in the dough, I'm sure they don't want to disappoint the fans. If they do end up heavily editing the TenTen, we could always write to them and express our disappointment. If enough fans do that, perhaps they will might release it again in an unedited format, kinda like how Peach Girl was released twice by TokyoPop. But let's just hope that TenTen remains unedited. :)

And thank you, FuguTabetai, for introducing the great work of Tenjo Tenge to so many people. I'm sure that because of you, whether we are anxious, eagerly awaiting, or displeased about TenTen's licensing and release, we all can't wait to take a look at it once it becomes available.
Mephisto03
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Mephisto03 »

Until DC starts releasing books ar whatnot i'd loved to keep getting the chapters as we have in the past. The story doesn't seem to be going on that much longer really. 4 "f" members are gone if I'm not mistaken and prelims were coming up soon also. Everyone can feel the tension rising in the city with the groups and all the characters. As much as I don't think DC will hack it as much as the anime has been or even at all really. DC has put out some racey type stuff and comics are not shy of nudity. Paperback would be nice but I'd also rather not wait till it catches up to what were upto not would I want to carry around a book unless I had to, thats what my laptop is for. plus if you ever want to get a friend into it you can always just burn it to disc let him read the first two volumes and if they enjoy direct them to where they sell them at the book store its not that hard. Fugu you've done a wonderful job and I hope you continue doing it as was for us fans till the end.
moyism
Senpai
Senpai

Post by moyism »

Mephisto03 wrote:Until DC starts releasing books ar whatnot i'd loved to keep getting the chapters as we have in the past. The story doesn't seem to be going on that much longer really. 4 "f" members are gone if I'm not mistaken and prelims were coming up soon also. Everyone can feel the tension rising in the city with the groups and all the characters. As much as I don't think DC will hack it as much as the anime has been or even at all really. DC has put out some racey type stuff and comics are not shy of nudity. Paperback would be nice but I'd also rather not wait till it catches up to what were upto not would I want to carry around a book unless I had to, thats what my laptop is for. plus if you ever want to get a friend into it you can always just burn it to disc let him read the first two volumes and if they enjoy direct them to where they sell them at the book store its not that hard. Fugu you've done a wonderful job and I hope you continue doing it as was for us fans till the end.
you do realize Fugu has never really done it for the fans right? It's been a nice side benefit that a lot of people have checked out his translations and praised him, but yea... Anyway, I see TenTen being hellva long as the plot gets deeper and deeper. Unless Oh!Great decides to wrap up the story out of the blue, TenTen will be continuing for awhile.

P_Amiel BTW, Tokyopop has had some HORRIBLE translations. Ever check out Battle Vivixens (aka Ikkitousen)? They were very... liberal... in how they translated that manga.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Mephisto03 wrote:Until DC starts releasing books ar whatnot i'd loved to keep getting the chapters as we have in the past.
I have a text translation available from the downloads section that will always be up-to-date with the latest chapters as I translate, so you can use it to read along with the manga if you import it, or the raws if you find them somewhere.
Nicholai
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Nicholai »

FuguTabetai wrote: Why? It is clearly illegal, and I run the risk of being sued. For a hobby. I don't think I'm being unreasonable at all. I am leaving up text translations, so anyone that legally acquires the manga can understand what is going on.

Can you provide some valid argument other than "... cuz this is some bullshit"?
Sorry for taking so long to reply, but the combination of my slow dial up and this abnormally slow board does not mix. Not at all.

Nevermind. Someone has just pointed out something to me that just made pointless to argue about it
Sheky
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Sheky »

If people are concerned about DC's ability to keep the manga's content intact, be proactive and write to them NOW. Wait and see is not a good idea. I sure as hell don't want to see a butchered version come Christmas.
P_Amiel
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by P_Amiel »

moyism wrote:
P_Amiel BTW, Tokyopop has had some HORRIBLE translations. Ever check out Battle Vivixens (aka Ikkitousen)? They were very... liberal... in how they translated that manga.
Yeah, unfortunately, I know that they've really some pretty bad translations. My example was Battle Royale. But what I was really trying to get at is the fact that there doesn't seem to be many manga today that has it's art edited or censored... is there? I'm still waiting for examples lol.

And yes, I do agree with Sheky. The publishers do listen to the consumers. It would be bad business not to. You could try posting on their message boards, but it doesn't seem very active. Or instead, you could contact the editors. The e-mail address they give is askeditors@dccomics.com. Of course, they would be more likely to listen to us if we wrote respectfully and in a good manner. None of that "omg yo dont screw up my manga!!!!!!!" crap. :wink: I will be writing to them soon and to politely make some comments and suggestions about their upcoming manga imprint.

EDIT: One more thing... while it might not yet be working, cmxmanga.com should have some ways to contact the editor or whatever when the site gets up. Don't forget to check there every so often to see if it is working.
Last edited by P_Amiel on Sun Jun 27, 2004 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mazus
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Mazus »

People, when complaining about english releases remember that it's the adapter's fault and not the translater's fault that the story is just a shadow from what it originally was. The translater just translates while the adapter is the one who makes the changes, awful as they are, for the english audience.

So if you guys want a good adaption with a semblence of the original story then beg DC not to let Giffen, the one who adapted Battle Royale and Ikkitousen, get anywhere near their manga licenses.
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

Manga Gone Wrong Ex: 1

Pirate Chics?
Mellow Yellow
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Mellow Yellow »

"Cut and dried"?? Good lord :lol: :roll:
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

pv82 wrote: Pirate Chics?
That is a contraction of "Pirate Chic has been dead ..." where chic refers to "fashion". Not having seen the original, I can't say is that is lame or not though.
Freddy C
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Freddy C »

i didn't like it, i know it will get more publicity and get noticed more, but i was quite pissed off that it wasn't on BT anymore, but i got it from IRC anyways, so all's good.
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

Hey Fugu, do you plan on buying the DC versions???
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

pv82 wrote:Hey Fugu, do you plan on buying the DC versions???
As long as I'm in the country, yes.
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

Does it really match or is it a Lame want to be cool 8) translation

Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

pv82 wrote:
Does it really match or is it a Lame want to be cool translation
That's chinese, not Japanese. But anyway:

Right Panel:
Bubble 1: You saved me. I'd thought you were a good guy...
Bubble 2: What's going on...?
Bubble 3: What do you guys really want?

Left Panel:
Bubble 1 is just an exclamantion / onomatopoeia.
Bubble 2: I've repeated myself many times. This is strictly business. (Or something to that effect, I think. I don't recognise the 2nd and 3rd last characters.)

So, yeah, I'd say it's pretty lame wannabecool.
P_Amiel
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by P_Amiel »

Mazus wrote:So if you guys want a good adaption with a semblence of the original story then beg DC not to let Giffen, the one who adapted Battle Royale and Ikkitousen, get anywhere near their manga licenses.
Oh god, I forgot that Keith Giffen does a ton of work for DC. While he may be known as a comic book "legend" to some people, probably due to his work in the Legion of Super-Heroes, Justice League, and Ambush Bug, his manga adaptations, put lightly, just suck. Please stay away from CMX Manga, Giffen!

See, that panel from Ikkitousen is exactly what I was referring to in my first post above. (I used the word teenybopper to describe the personality rapage of the characters in Battle Royale, but it's more like Giffen was trying to make the characters talk "trendy" or "hip," like the "cool people" in a typical high school, I just couldn't find the right word for it. But my god, does he do a horrible job on it!) I don't think there is a character anywhere in the original Battle Royale who says "Sorry, but red just isn't your color <3" or "Level with me, Yoshi, was I not born to rock? That's rock as in roll." And it's quite clear that no one makes reference to "Pirate chic" in the original Ikkitousen.

Some thing subtle that I noticed: why are Hakufu's clothes lighter in color in the TokyoPop release? Is this really necessary? Of course, I'm going on the fact that the image from the Chinese release is the same as the Japanese original. If not, then forget it.

So anyway, yes these particular adaptations suck. I hope it doesn't happen to Tenjo Tenge. But at least the art remains unchanged (maybe?). Isn't that what most of you are hoping for? Uncensored, unedited artwork? So while adaptations are not that uncommon, in today's market, are there really any manga series that have their artwork edited? I still haven't found any.
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

Isn't that what most of you are hoping for? Uncensored, unedited artwork?
That's only part of the equation. Manga isn't just art. Horrific and ludicrous rewrites damage them just as much as censoring or altering artwork.
So while adaptations are not that uncommon, in today's market, are there really any manga series that have their artwork edited? I still haven't found any
Cannon God Exaxxion and Seraphic Feather (But then Dark Horse left the single panel in Ghost in The Shell 2 intact). There are probably more examples, but I don't read US versions of manga that much. In any case, it is of little relevance whether other manga are edited or otherwise. Each title is it's own work of art. Most US licensed manga don't have naked busty babes or softcore sex scenes or incestous undertones, do they?
Songblade
Yuurei
Yuurei

sad but still Oh! Great?

Post by Songblade »

First off, thank you Fugu and crew for putting this all out :) My friend got me into TenTen and my favorite arc so far has been Shin. After that... *shrugs* So thank you, Fugu, for doing all that much XD

Secondly, I'm not sure I have that much faith in DC. Dark Horse? CMX? Studio Proteus? Only basing my opinion on how SLOW they're getting out Blade of the Immortal.. and the page flipping... :( The great sadness settles in, but ah well ^_^ Buy the import manga, learn Japanese, that's the only way to fly!

*checks TenTen off her fserv on irchighway* Much love!
I may be crazy dakedo...
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

Agent_Wax wrote:That's chinese, not Japanese. But anyway:
Whoops, sorry about that :oops: . just goes to show you can't trust anything I say :wink: . Holy crap, you know Chinese Agent Wax. That is soo cool 8) .
P_Amiel wrote:Some thing subtle that I noticed: why are Hakufu's clothes lighter in color in the TokyoPop release? Is this really necessary? Of course, I'm going on the fact that the image from the Chinese release is the same as the Japanese original. If not, then forget it.
Yeah , the english panel is actually scanned from this months New Type USA. Its from a review on TokyoPop's version. Im not sure how the regualr version comes out looking. I really haven't heard one nice review from fans about thier releases, so I am not surprised. ADV does the same Teeny Bop crap for thier anime (Why the word "Playa" {Player} would show up in anime at all is beyond me :roll: ).
Natsume Maya
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Natsume Maya »

Agent_Wax wrote:pv82 wrote:
Does it really match or is it a Lame want to be cool translation
That's chinese, not Japanese. But anyway:

Right Panel:
Bubble 1: You saved me. I'd thought you were a good guy...
Bubble 2: What's going on...?
Bubble 3: What do you guys really want?

Left Panel:
Bubble 1 is just an exclamantion / onomatopoeia.
Bubble 2: I've repeated myself many times. This is strictly business. (Or something to that effect, I think. I don't recognise the 2nd and 3rd last characters.)
The Japanese is:
Right panel-
Bubble 1: Because you saved me, I thought you were a good person,
Bubble 2: Geez-
Bubble 3: What's up with you?/Why are you doing this?

Left panel-
Bubble 1: Fu, [just a sound]
Bubble 2: I said before that it's an execution/death penalty, didn't I?
Natsume Danjou Maya.
http://natsumemaya.net/ (new website address)
shogun gekomon
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by shogun gekomon »

im glad its getting a release, but i am surprised its by d.c, i hope they dont mess up the translation..
i dunno...d.c? i hope t.j.t.g doesnt go too mainstream, but i do want to own it in graphic novel form, lets wait and see how stuff pans out
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

NatsumeMaya wrote:
Bubble 2: I said before that it's an execution/death penalty, didn't I?
Suddenly, it comes into focus... :oops:
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

I was wondering if companies like Viz and Tokyopop would let you buy thier script translations. I think people here are right in saying the error is not the translators fault but the Adapter's fault. I am going to email Tokyopop and ask if I can because I have almost all of Ikkitousen, Apprently in Chinese (No wonder it was so hard to translate :lol: ). Maybe I wouldn't have to do this if Tokyopop would stick to the freakin script :roll: . If they email me back I'll post reply.
Thanathos
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Thanathos »

Ikari wrote:Sigh, those of you who complain are a bunch of pathetic pieces of garbage. I hope you all win a darwin award.

Thanks to Fugu most of us got to know the manga and he's been translating it pretty fast, so we should be thankful. I mean we have all the chapters translated, what more could you want? So why don't you all stop complaining why stop and so on? The manga is licensed and a legal English release will be available eventually.
what tha... we are grateful, hell i knew TenTen existed thx to fugu so i had nothing to comply to him, it is just that i really cant afford to buy manga, it's pain my heart but that is a reality, i don't have neither the money or the time to learn japanese and buying shit to US is a waste of time and money ( in my country there is HIGH taxes for books and hobby books like comics and manga are expensive, unless there are spains ) besides i don't know what will happen to a manga when the censor in frontier BURN it like he did with evangelion movie U_U
Ikari wrote: People are already whining about editing and how the manga will get butchered. How about instead of whining and bitching on the forum, write an email to the licensor not to edit it?
[...]
And why blame DC comics? They are a company, they see profit in the series. I really don't see what the hell they did wrong, anyone care to explain? They didn't even release the first volume yet.
you answered yourself there, DC is a big company so there are high posibilities that TenTen will be cuted so it can reach a larger market, i hope they realize their mistake before TenTen 'cause what i understod of the licensing stuff was that tit will be one of they lastest release(more time waiting U_U )
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

Thanatos wrote:ou answered yourself there, DC is a big company so there are high posibilities that TenTen will be cuted so it can reach a larger market, i hope they realize their mistake before TenTen 'cause what i understod of the licensing stuff was that tit will be one of they lastest release(more time waiting U_U )
Yup. It's not a launch title either. Some patience might be required. We really can't tell. I just hope DC understands that TenTen caters to a specific audience. The manga obviously has a story filled with fights and risque elements to cater to readers who appreciate such things. It would be silly to cut and edit extreme portions of those and expect the same readers to go for the same thing.
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

Just Imagine, it might not be till 2007 when we see Vol. 12. i guess we shouldn't complain, in Japan the have been following this for more than 5 years (1998???)
JonWan
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by JonWan »

I want to thank Fugu for scanslating this and I don't blame you for dropping it.

But I have a question, don't blame if tis already been asked becaseu I just joined aand 3 pages worth of posts is a bit much to read.

The bubble format you had for chapter 75, would that still be considered illegal? (Probably is but just wishful thinking)

If you are going to put up script translations, are you also going to put up the raws? Because techniacally thats not illegal right?

Sorry if I'm repetitive but please bear with me.
moyism
Senpai
Senpai

Post by moyism »

I'll flag this one for ya Fugu.

JonWan, the bubble format that Fugu did for chap 75 was really (if anything) a treat for us TT fans even after it was licensed. While I think Fugu doesn't consider this illegal (???), I don't think he'll be continuing to do that for future chapters. The only thing you could probably expect Fugu to do is put up the UJ special edition w/ the Oh!Great interview like that in the future.

As for the script translations, yes he'll continue that but he will NOT be putting up the raws on this site. And technically it IS illegal. If you truly want to continue to read TT either buy the japanese manga or look around the web for the raws when the come out. It's actually not that hard to find 'em. The IRC channel is one good place.

Hope that answers 'ya questions.
Silvermyst
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Silvermyst »

Howdy, had to register to give my thanks to fugu for an excellent job. There's no way I would have heard about TT if it wasn't for this site.

Anyway, to get to the meat of my point, for those concerned about Giffen doing the adaptation for TT, upon close inspection of the press release, it says that
Nee also announced today that DC Comics has hired Jake Tarbox as the Group Editor of the CMX imprint. Tarbox has spent the last 14 years living in Tokyo, Japan where he worked at Coamix, Inc. as the International Affairs Manager and Vice-Editor-Chief of Raijin Comics,....(snip)...Tarbox will handle the editorial responsibilities for the CMX imprint including overseeing the translation and printing of manga titles into English.
That doesn't necessarily mean much, but I can only hope that this guy knows what he's talking about and does justice to TT's adaptation.

Naturally, I hope beyond hope that there won't be any editing of the artwork. It's beautiful and IMO it's just insulting to OH!Great if it gets censored.[/quote]
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

JonWan wrote:The bubble format you had for chapter 75, would that still be considered illegal?
That is still illegal; distribution of even just the scans would be illegal since it is redistribution of copyrighted stuff. Translations are derivative works, so even the copyright of my translation reverts back to Oh! Great, or I guess DC now...? It's been a while since I read the relevant laws.
JonWan wrote:If you are going to put up script translations, are you also going to put up the raws? Because techniacally thats not illegal right?
It is illegal, and I do not plan on distributing raws, although they should be available in the IRC channel (since that is where I'll get them.)

I will only have the text translations up here.
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

I was wondering if companies like Viz and Tokyopop would let you buy thier script translations. I think people here are right in saying the error is not the translators fault but the Adapter's fault. I am going to email Tokyopop and ask if I can because I have almost all of Ikkitousen, Apprently in Chinese (No wonder it was so hard to translate ). Maybe I wouldn't have to do this if Tokyopop would stick to the freakin script . If they email me back I'll post reply.
Hi! Thanks for writing in! Unfortunately, we cannot give out copies of our script tothe public, sorry!

Best,
TOKYOPOP
Hey atleast they wrote back. Maybe Tokyopop will listen to your complaints if you mail them. info@tokyopop.com customerservice@tokyopop.com
LOL-ness
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by LOL-ness »

Well, hello there, I am new to this forum. I would just like to thank fugu for all the work he did in translating tjtg.

Well, as you can see from my location, I come from Hong Kong, and maybe some of you lot know already, but Hong Kong is like the second best place to get manga after Japan. Not only are there tons of licensed manga in chinese to buy (and I think most Japanese manga titles are avaliable in chinese in Hong Kong :o ), but they are cheap too (there are also tons of japanese raws, but curiously, they are actually more expensive than the chinese translations...)

I would urge you tjtg fans to support the lisenced manga, but I know that there is a problem with price:

In Hong Kong, a chinese translation of any manga title costs between HKD$20 - HKD$50 (around USD$2.5-USD$6.25), but I know that english translation of some manga (e.g. GTO) can cost up to HKD$120 in Hong Kong, which is really expensive by our standards, (especially when english translation will never be as good as chinese translations, since you can directly translate japanese to chinese, but you need to do some editting when its japanese to english).

I always support lisenced manga because it is cheap to buy them here, so I urge you people to support lisenced manga from your country, and stop bitching, because lisencing the manga would be a good thing (more people can read the manga), and you lot can't really expect to get manga translations/scans for free, right?[/quote]
infil
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by infil »

Well this is good and bad news but oh well such is life. This is good because it signals the possibilty that the american manga publishers might finally be willing to push into the adult market rather than continue to release the endless stream of childish manga that they have been releasing thus far. On the downside, it means that evryone will ahve to wait for the releases to catch up for a long time (3 years +). For me though this isn't to much of a prob as i buy the japanese originals anyway, and if Fugu keeps doin his HTML translations then even better. But i have been learning japanese on and off for the last year and using fugu's work as practice. Thanks for all the hard work you ahve put in Fugu and especially thanks for bringing to my attention the kick-arse series that is TenTen, but most of all thanks for your scroll over translations. These have helped heaps for learning Japanese.

So in the ewnding while my Japanese isn't yet good enough to translate (the Japanese written language is pretty tricky), i'm sure that i'll be able to catch up the rest of the series way b4 the American releazses do. I prefer buying the Jap releases anyway, American one's don't always keep the colour inserts. So i encourage the rest of you to try and learn to, it's definately worth it.

Thanks again Fugu, you're a god.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

infil wrote:Thanks again Fugu, you're a god.
I'm a fish.

It's really great to hear that someone at least is using the English+Japanese translations that I put out for language learning. That made my day.

cheers,

fugu
TeamJyukenbuu
Yuurei
Yuurei

regarding DC and Tenten

Post by TeamJyukenbuu »

hi, I'm somewhat new since I forgot my name but I've posted a couple times.

The way I look into it, DC is more like Dark Horse, but obviously with a lot more money and noteriety. Dark Horse has messed up a couple of times with their releases, and finally changed so to release their books according to how the manga volumes do so as opposed to their own strange way, and are a bit more careful when releasing stuff per issue (which doesn't really work anymore). I'm hoping DC doesn't follow that same road and attempt to release tenten in a 30 page per month issue like american comics, unless they plan to color it or do something even more artsy. regardless, that won't work and they're better off focusing on releasing it on its pristine book form. I also think price wise it will be higher than del ray's pricing (a lil over 10 dollars) but probably a lil lower if not similar to dark horse's current pricing of their mangas. Someone also said that the release will be enlarged printing, which would be interesting, but that would increase in price and that alone may have a hard time selling the book, with questions already regarding to how it will be marketed in the US (though I think marketing martial arts and sexy girls is not as hard as long as you know your audience, and I think DC is well aware of its audience). I'm curious too if they'll ask oh! great about how he wants the manga released, like how hiroaki samura has conditions regarding having dark horse release blade of the immortal. I also think that DC got tenten at a cheap price and theres nothing wrong with oh! great to be making more money with his project overseas compared to his last project, silky whip :P He's gone a long way however and I hope DC, with great expectations, does a good job releasing tenten in the states.
And I think this is the 124th time fugu has read this, but because of you, I can always look forward for my tenten and oh! great fix with confidence. Great job for all those (short) years.
JonWan
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by JonWan »

Has another chapter come out yet? Becase I don't see any translations. I guess you are busy but I just wanted to know.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

JonWan wrote:Has another chapter come out yet? Becase I don't see any translations. I guess you are busy but I just wanted to know.
It came out what, like a day ago? I haven't seen it myself.
Cypher-Khan
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Cypher-Khan »

FuguTabetai wrote: It's really great to hear that someone at least is using the English+Japanese translations that I put out for language learning. That made my day.

cheers,

fugu
I suppose you could almost stick me into that category. I am learning Japanese at university now (14 weeks and counting...) and do take a look through your translations.

I own volumes 5,6,7,8,9 and 11 of the manga (and intend to get the rest next time I get to Kinokuniya), but unfortunatley due to the utter lack of furigana translating *that* is impossible at my current level.

In this respect Im sticking to translating less adult manga (Full Metal Alchemist and Pretty Face [god bless furigana]).

Still, am greatly enjoying learning the language and I wish I was a little more proficient so I could actually use your java pages more effectively. The combination of only knowing about 100 kanji and not being terribly proficient in the various readings ends up killing me. (So does the lack of a kanji dictionary).

Just wanted to say that... your java would be great if I was that much more proficent, but until then I shall continue to rely on your translations.

Thanks
P_Amiel
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by P_Amiel »

Hey everyone, for the past few days, there was only a splash page, but now it looks like www.CMXMANGA.com is up and running.

Earlier in this thread, I mentioned that if we all want to see Tenjo Tenge released in its pure, uncensored form, we should email DC about it. Now that the CMX site is up and running, there is no time like the present to write to them. However, from the looks of it, there is no e-mail address available that is goes directly to the Manga people over at DC, like I had hoped there would be once the site started working. However, this is NOT a problem and we should not back down! We should start (or continue) e-mailing the editors at the link provided: askeditors@dccomics.com. I have already written to them once, as I stated in a previous post, but unfortunately I never heard back from them. I can only hope that are taking the suggestions to heart or at least passing them on to people who care. If we persist, they might even give us an address for people who will listen to our ideas! Don't forget, they are more likely to listen if we write clearly, are polite, and don't go bashing them.

Also... it appears that CMX is releasing Eiji Otsuka's Madara, and if you look on that page, you will see that the books is labeled as for "Mature Readers." This is certainly a good sign that they aren't completely turning manga into an "all childrens" thing. However, it still does not tell us if they have been editing the stories.

One can only hope that they live up to their slogan of "Pure Manga."

Discuss!
Silvermyst
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Silvermyst »

From the About page:
[quote]And it's pure manga
solidis1
Doushi
Doushi

Post by solidis1 »

Alot of people want the manga to be uncut but I think it could use some cuts. Notably the manga will not diminish in quality if some of the nudity was toned down. The anime did a pretty fair job of this with the shower scene in the first episode. Working around this will allow the manga to reach a larger audience. Besides, the nudity is only around in some areas and American age restrictions, being what they are, would cause unwanted publicity for Tenjo Tenge. Most manga in America are uncut if they contain just violence. It's nudity that irks older people for some reason. I really can't imagine why violence is looked upon higher than nudity in our country.
P_Amiel
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by P_Amiel »

Hey Silvermyst, I hadn't read the "About" page before, but after taking a look at it now, I'm very happy with what was presented. It's clear that DC wants to maintain their good name as the pinnacle of comic book publishing. Let's hope that it isn't just all talk.

solidis1, your perspective is very logical and there are many people who make the same argument. But since arguing about censorship and all that only brings up more moot points, my guess is that DC will just slap on a "Mature"/"Adult" label on the book and shrink wrap it, like how many other publishers have done it. That way, they can [sort of] satisfy all of the people who want to protect their innocent eyes, and all the others who dislike censorship and want these things "out there."
P_Amiel
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by P_Amiel »

It looks like CMX Manga has put up some sample pages from their three release titles!! Now we can look at some of the results of their hard work! To view them, go to http://www.cmxmanga.com, click on a book, then click on the "View Interior Art" link near the bottom They are presented as PDF files so you will need Adobe Acrobat.

And if you haven't already done so, don't forget to write to the editors about Tenjo Tenge!
TeamJyukenbuu
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by TeamJyukenbuu »

DC knows its target audience hopefully. I Mean this is the same company that also put out vertigo comics which has subject matter that definitely is not for kids and I've read some of their works which has some nudity, but more or less back or partially covered full frontal. As long as they are reaslitic as to who are their core audience that they're selling the book to, it will be just fine. Dark horse has been good with it so far with blade of immortal, berserk or even hellsing, if not Shadowstar (NaruTaru). I mean ten ten for the most part is mostly visual cheesecake while the story comes as secondary. Sex will sell and the story will follow.
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

TeamJyukenbuu wrote: I mean ten ten for the most part is mostly visual cheesecake while the story comes as secondary. Sex will sell and the story will follow.
I can't say I agree, the way I see it, is that the story comes first, not just for me, but that it's even intended like that, since the story can get a bit complex, what you don't expect from 'selling sex'.