Why is Bunshichi so strong?

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

shogun gekomon
Tamashii
Tamashii

Why is Bunshichi so strong?

Post by shogun gekomon »

I only have volumes 1-8 so maybe this was answered in 9-12, but why is bunshichi so tough? is he a red feather? he doesnt seem to be to me, and he doesnt even have any martial arts skills, so how did he get so strong? do we know anything about his past? any help would be greatly appeciated thx
moyism
Senpai
Senpai

Post by moyism »

from what I gather, Bunshichi is about as normal as Bob. In other words, they're "human" but just naturally strong. The bits and pieces of Bunshichi's past that we do know about, he's basically a street fighter. So... I guess he became strong through hundreds and thousands of fights :shock:
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

I think the whole reason behind Bob and Tawara (and even Saga Mask) was to have a character who excelled through hard work who would be an equal to people who relied on the stuff the cliche Hero's usually have to make them strong. Ex. Blood line, Special Abilities, Special Techiniques or moves, Weapons. Thats why they are great. When you look at the Big Picture, alot of the characters are on the same playing field when it comes to a Fight. That's also cool, because its Even the fights are unpredictable at times. So to confuse you even more Tawara is strong because it seems he's worked hard and kicked plenty of Ass and studies fighting. He knows about things like Demons, gates and Forged needle and he doesn't fear them.
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

The cool thing about Bunshichi is that he remains as one of the strongest even though he's just your no-holds barred brawler. Unlike Nagi or Ishiyumi, he doesn't open Dragon Gates and unlike Masataka and Maya he doesn't have the same martial arts appeal. He's just a fighter, plain and simple. As the manga puts it, all he has are his fists. I think that says something about his experience and apparent strength.

Now why is he so strong? I really have no idea. :) For balance maybe? Because it's cool every now and then? Whatever the reason, he adds a certain color in a manga filled with martial artists and red feathers.
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

Tawara Bushichi is a Pink Feather, actually.
And I just realised that, if it wasn't for furigana, his name could also be pronounced as 'Bunana'. :lol:
Rooster
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Rooster »

I think the whole reason behind Bob and Tawara (and even Saga Mask) was to have a character who excelled through hard work who would be an equal to people who relied on the stuff the cliche Hero's usually have to make them strong.
Where have we seen Bunshinchi work hard? Unless you mean working hard in his shop, but I doubt lifting packages and selling items develops any noticeable brawn.

Yes, Bunshinchi is brute strength and I like those types of characters (though not particularly Bunshinchi) but the author has not given any explanation to Bunshinchi's strength. You might think "he fought lots of people in the past" reason enough, but I find it pretty lacking.
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

Rooster wrote:Where have we seen Bunshinchi work hard? Unless you mean working hard in his shop, but I doubt lifting packages and selling items develops any noticeable brawn.

Yes, Bunshinchi is brute strength and I like those types of characters (though not particularly Bunshinchi) but the author has not given any explanation to Bunshinchi's strength. You might think "he fought lots of people in the past" reason enough, but I find it pretty lacking.

True, we have never really seen Tawara Train, workout, or the development of his current strength. All that's known really known about his past was that he was the Best Fighter at one time at the school. I still think he's a regular guy that had to got through something to be the way he is. I'm hoping he didn't get strong overnight. That would kinda make his character lame IMO.
moyism
Senpai
Senpai

Post by moyism »

well we definitely know that Tawara a) was #1 ranked in their current high school before mitsuomi came around b) was the boss and/or best fighter of his middle school. That's gotta be saying something :shock:
solidis1
Doushi
Doushi

Post by solidis1 »

That's true but bunchishi could still very well be the strongest. He doesn't often get involved but when he does it has a huge impact. Plus we have never seen his skills compared to Mitsuomi's. Sure they both beat Shin so that counts for something but Mitsuomi has the three minute time limit while bunchishi doesn't. It is a good idea to compare Bob to Bunchishi as they have similar strengths and seeing Bobs natural abililty perhaps Bunchishi had similar talent and just developed it, he is oldest after all.
pure
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by pure »

"double impact" tawara...bunshichi has a technique that we've yet to see. maya had bob jogging because jogging increases leg power, explosiveness, endurance and cuts back on body fat. it seems as if she was going to train him to be a boxer...strangely, if you look at bunshichi's form when he fights, he is a boxer. i believe bunshichi can be naturally strong, have superhuman-like hand/ eye coordination(sp?) and jog for that added explosiveness and be at the tier he is on now.

all we see when people in ten ten are practicing is form. i've never seen any true strength training, just repetition at the most(nagi hitting the pots). in such an enviroment, a little goes a long way, such as when bob stopped thinking and immediately jumped to madoka's fighting level.

without going into detail, martial arts(imho) seems to be based on a lot of "ifs". mitsuomi is so dominate because he is strong, fast, and has a defense that leaves no OPENINGS. if bunshichi possesses the same qualities, would he not be just as dominate?
Mellow Yellow
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Mellow Yellow »

Bob as a boxer? Wouldn't it make more sense that he trained to improve on his current capoeira fighting style?
TW_J
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by TW_J »

well in the chapters from the past of 2 yrs ago remember when shin was going berserk and killing members of the team katana when the ambulance came some katana members saw bunschichi at the scene (where the ambulance is anywayz) and one member mentions a bit of bunshichi's past how he got strong the number of fights bunshichi had was countless and seemed more like war this was prolly the only piece of evidence up until now about his past.
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

Another Evidence of the Past is when Tawara first appears in the present arc. Maya see's him and gets into a fighting stance (after being injured by Isuzu) and thinks something "Only I can fight him".Which sounded like the rest of the Jukenbu were weak against him. Hm :? , a Maya V.S. Tawara fight would be intresting though, minus the Fanservice, I would how they would make on ability. I got a question, Do Bob, Tawara or Masataka use Chi?
JonWan
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by JonWan »

We don't really see a lot of characters work out. Maybe he got so sick and tired of fighting that he just doesn't enjoy it anymore. Maya would have got crushed by him, no matter how much stronger she has become it doesn't mean anything. It was crazy the way he was manhandling Fu'Chien or whatever when he was brought back to life by Sohaku.
burrowowl
Doushi
Doushi

Post by burrowowl »

Bunshichi is simply a badass. The "red feather" and "white feather" families don't have a monopoly on the human capacity to be excellent hand-to-hand fighters. They just happen to have been working hard to develop those skills.
jacko
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by jacko »

If you guys take a look at chp 75, it seems that his parents are both quite strong, and.. rough. :lol:
Shinpachi
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Shinpachi »

pure wrote:"double impact" tawara...bunshichi has a technique that we've yet to see. maya had bob jogging because jogging increases leg power, explosiveness, endurance and cuts back on body fat. it seems as if she was going to train him to be a boxer...strangely, if you look at bunshichi's form when he fights, he is a boxer
As someone already said, we're pretty sure that strengthening his legs is for his style, capoeira (which we've seen him use all too much), and to get his lungs back into shape after being a smoker. And as for Bunshichi being a boxer, I doubt it. Though he does have a boxer's form when he punches in volume 6 chapter 34 page 11+12, that is only for the duration of his punch, and in volume 6 chapter 33 pages 189+192+196, his fighting stance resembles a more traditional martial art.
burrowowl wrote:Bunshichi is simply a badass. The "red feather" and "white feather" families don't have a monopoly on the human capacity to be excellent hand-to-hand fighters. They just happen to have been working hard to develop those skills.
Except for the Takayanagi family, they're the keepers of all martial arts aren't they?
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

Shinpachi wrote:Except for the Takayanagi family, they're the keepers of all martial arts aren't they?
Keepers of all martial arts? What do you exactly mean by that? The Takayanagi Clan is the head family, thereby possessing certain responsibilities and privileges as their position sees fit. They're one of the most powerful but they don't have a monopoly of the martial arts per se, because if they did, what use do the red feather families and the other whites have? I presume each family has their own field of expertees and serve a specific purpose.
pure
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by pure »

it seems as if she was going to train him to be a boxer
i didn't say that she was training bob to be a boxer. the type of exercise she had him doing was boxer-like. i don't know the type of exercises used during capoeira training so i used an example was i familiar with.
his fighting stance resembles a more traditional martial art.
as far as i've seen, bunshichi only uses his fists. taking a "traditional martial arts" form would help in defensive properties but the only technique i've seen him use makes me lean toward boxer. someone forced to believe in nothing but their own fist.
jacko
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by jacko »

I think bunshichi as more as a brawler than a boxer.... but it is true, I haven't seen him use much other than his fists.
AckeDman
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by AckeDman »

i think u can compare bunchi to Baki's father in grappler baki... he has fought so many battle he have created special insight and muscles and thats problably what makes him so strong... physical strength and information about alot of technics and natural fighthing instinct... Bob is on his way to achive the physical strength and a portion of natural instinct but he is faaaar from the special insight... i think he needs to know alot more about diffrent martial arts technics first(im not saying he has to learn them just that he has to know about them so he knows what to watch out for)
Nice to see a black guy in a manga/anime for once.
Rooster
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Rooster »

i think u can compare bunchi to Baki's father in grappler baki...
Hanma Yujiro is - by normal standards - a monster, I don't think comparing Bunshinchi to him very apt. Besides, I haven't seen (yes yes, he fought a lot of punks in the past) him doing anything that made Yujiro what he is now.

As for Bob? Hah.

The author has provided explanations to Bunshichi's strength that are vague at best. Not that I'm complaining, I don't care even an ounce about his past (even if it would be good storytelling), I'm just playing him down because I dislike him.
solidis1
Doushi
Doushi

Post by solidis1 »

You don't like Bunchishi? From what I've read EVERYONE likes him.
Nah, finally someone has a different feeling toward him. He's cool but I don't think he's that great. To be honest though, I don't think there will be an explanation for his strength and at the expense of being argued with, I think he's getting pushed into the background. Or he will be soon. He's a brigde character if their is such a thing.
jacko
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by jacko »

I didn't like him at fast, because I thought he was just a lech who was just a littile more powerful than Maya. I guess I was wrong when the Past Arc started. That's when I statred liking him.
Everon
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Everon »

Yup Yup. In the Past arc they showed Bunchishi having many admirable qualities. Combine that with his mysterious strength and his "cool-calm" libido and you get the a person with classical hero characteristics :D
jacko
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by jacko »

It also seems despite being a lech, the girls do really like what he says :lol:

It seems to me that, IMHO, he is A LOT stronger than Maya, but when it comes to skill, it is hard to say, because I never seen them fight against each other, and they have very different styles.