Nagi's development

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

solidis1
Doushi
Doushi

Nagi's development

Post by solidis1 »

While many of you have stated earlier you're resentment toward Nagi, I think lately he has become a better character in the manga.
The "tough kid who wants to be stronger" cliche was what he fell into at the beginning but he has become something a little different. He used to be a little punk who thought of nothing but fighting but this changes in 1 of 2 places. Either after he hears of the passed arc with Bob (Masataka even comments on his change) or after he starts his "gate" training. He gets pissed when they touch his mom which causes him to transform.

Let me wrap it up for now saying that Nagi has developed into a better character in the later chapters and moved up a notch in my book. What do you guys think.
EliteF22
Senpai
Senpai

Post by EliteF22 »

I rather liked Nagi since the beginning, but I agree that his character has gotten more likeable. This is probably due to his character seeming more 3 dimensional instead of the 2-D cut out he first seemed to be. His story just seems to be getting more and more screwed up. I would not want to be part of his family. Plus, everyone just seems to think of him as a weapon. I say screw everyone else, Nagi should learn to open all the dragon gates, go buck wild and beat the snot out of everyone, and then take over. Maybe that will get that annoying Aya off his back.
Norin
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Norin »

Well he surely changed... Personally he changed before changing himself... What I mean is that when they r at the bowling alley, the words he tell to Aya are full of wisdom and he repeat those words when she fight Maya then Maya tell Nagi that he should listen to his own words...

But I think he was more cool at the beginning when he was a little punk :twisted:

I must also say that Nagi's my favorite char of all of them... He has in him a power X and could prolly kick everybody ass if he train enough... Would be cool if he could use dragon palm :P
I think Aya's been cool untill she got the dragon eye thing, after it's like she thought she's stronger than everything by telling Nagi that he's the weakest of all the gang when it's possible for him to kill all of hem...

But it's just personal idea :P
solidis1
Doushi
Doushi

Post by solidis1 »

I think Nagi has changed for the better. Once he transformed he looks really cool and I hope when he comes back he is in control of this form.
On his development, he seems to think a little more like with his talk with Maya at the beginning of volume 10. I think he is becoming stronger with each fight but Mataza is the only person he has actually beaten and even that could be disagreed upon. By the way, does the guy with the healing punch have a gate, too.
Norin
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Norin »

In the latest chapters they say that the "F" guy with Healing Palm is a member of the white wing but the healing palm is reserved to red wing people... They also compare him with Nagi because he "might" be able to control ALL gates [In 2 words, he'd be an ugly powerful kickass beast! :P]
solidis1
Doushi
Doushi

Post by solidis1 »

So does that mean he can absorb other dragons, or does Nagi's black dragon only do that? I can't wait for their inevitable battle.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

So this probably isn't relevant, but I think it is interesting. Way back in volume 1, when Bob and Nagi join the Jyuukenbu, they say that is the day that the (future) strongest member of the group was born.

Everyone assumes that this will be Nagi, but I think there is a not insignificant chance that it could be Bob. I bring this up because I was watching the anime last night (ep 2) and that struck me - especially with all the attention Bob has gotten from Mitsuomi over time.

Souichirou has never been my favorite character, but I do like that he has been fleshed out lately. I would not be surprised to see him as a tragic character that loses out in his internal struggle (because honestly, it isn't as interesting if he is just overwhelmingly powerful without any drawbacks, and it doesn't jive with what Oh! Great has been talking about in the TJTG Special) and spurs Bob on to greater heights.

Well, something to chew on. See this post on the TJTG Ultra Jump special if you are interested in reading some of that stuff. I'll eventually release it, but this one will take a while.
solidis1
Doushi
Doushi

Post by solidis1 »

Okay, I went to the link but could you tell me a little more about the Special, Fugu?

Oh yeah, and who is the sixth member of F?
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

solidis1 wrote:Okay, I went to the link but could you tell me a little more about the Special, Fugu?
The Tenjo Tenge Ultra Jump Special was an issue of Ultra Jump (telephone book sized) that collected all of the past arc into one large volume, and had some new stuff like information on the familities, an interview with Oh! Great, and an introduction to the school. Very text heavy.
solidis1 wrote: Oh yeah, and who is the sixth member of F?
I don't know.
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

FuguTabetai wrote: Very text heavy.
Heck ya! That thing is Huge. I am amazed at your speed, this aint a regular Chapter Translation. The interview itself looked intimidating :shock: . I also noticed you are translating the bigger stuff first. There is still lots left , so no one start whining "When is it going to be done Fugu :roll: ". Be Patient and Happy its getting done :D .
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

I always thought that was Frankie Fu. Or perhaps Souhaku himself? I haven't had time to read the interview yet, but it is also possible that Oh! Great was foreshadowing Nagi's defection to his father's side, becoming the 6th member, right?
Natsume Maya
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Natsume Maya »

Agent_Wax wrote:
I always thought that was Frankie Fu. Or perhaps Souhaku himself? I haven't had time to read the interview yet, but it is also possible that Oh! Great was foreshadowing Nagi's defection to his father's side, becoming the 6th member, right?
Rare for me to get involved in discussion of the actual plot, but anyway... :)

I was thinking possibly Kago Souhaku myself, or Nagi Souichiro (as a surprise) or a new character (in the same way all the members of the Jyuukenbu weren't introduced until later). Most likely the last option. The thing which counts against Nagi is that, IIRC it was stated there were six even before he was abducted. Also, I note that all known members of F are from White Feather (Shirohane) Families.

Side issue, but I wonder what the effect of Nagi being the child of two Red Feather Families (Nagi and Kago) has...?
Natsume Danjou Maya.
http://natsumemaya.net/ (new website address)
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

Natsume Maya wrote:Side issue, but I wonder what the effect of Nagi being the child of two Red Feather Families (Nagi and Kago) has...?
I've been thinking about this myself. Perhaps it has something to do about having "superior" and "cursed" blood? The manga likes to remind the reader about his dark heritage through such ambiguous statements. I just hope the story isn't implying that Souichirou inherited both the powers of his mom and his dad. That would be already too much if you ask me, but then it would also make sense why he's such an important figure even to someone such as Souhaku. But please... I hope I'm wrong.
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

I would have thought he had inherited both Traits from his parents, That's why he's at the level he's at. Maybe Shohaku took him to teach him Necromology? I don't think it would be too hard to control Nagi's mind, Heck he did it with Madoka, and thats after he annilated Her clan. Just dangle some stuff about being stronger, protecting Maya, or some stuff about Makiko infront of his face and he'll take the bait. I do agree that Nagi's Character did "Flesh out" better and got a little bit more depth, but I still hope Tetsuhito kicks his punk ass :twisted:. As for the 6th member, that may well be the "True Warrior". No one ever said the True Warrior had to be a "GOOD GUY". Even Dougen description can fit anyone. I got some questions, Why are all the 12 familiy Head members and Dougen Still Alive if Shohaku eliminated alot of clans. Is Shohaku the 12 Families Dirty little secret? Did the 12 Families just hand over thier kids to Shohaku?
solidis1
Doushi
Doushi

Post by solidis1 »

Good points pv82. Although I can't answer them I'm hoping the answers come soon. The way things are now, I think that Souhaku plans on something more than just torturing Nagi. What if Souhaku is actually trying to use Nagi to continue what he was doing, exterminate the... Oh wait! What was Souhaku trying to exterminate before he had Nagi?
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

pv82 wrote:I got some questions, Why are all the 12 familiy Head members and Dougen Still Alive if Shohaku eliminated alot of clans. Is Shohaku the 12 Families Dirty little secret? Did the 12 Families just hand over thier kids to Shohaku?
From the way it was worded out, I assumed "eliminated the clans" simply meant toppling the old power structure of the red feathers in the same way Mitsuomi toppled his dad. I'm not really sure, but whatever the case, it's a fact that the old and present generations of the red feather clans have a huge gap between them in more ways than one.

With regard to the True Warrior becoming part of F--I don't know. It seems to be a huge departure from the way I'm seeing things now. Souhaku may be thinking about it, but not necessarily because he wants to have one at his side. Who knows? Maybe Mitsuomi wants to shape Bob as the Enforcement Group's True Warrior? He seems to really look up to the guy as if Bob was the hope of his team. (Ch75)
solidis1 wrote:Oh wait! What was Souhaku trying to exterminate before he had Nagi?
Was it even clearly stated that extermination was his agenda? I'm not sure, but it's just a wild guess so far. Please correct me if I'm wrong on this one.
solidis1
Doushi
Doushi

Post by solidis1 »

To be completely honest I don't think Oh Great! has shown us the big picture yet. What about the 100 year war that Mitsuomi has talked about? How much longer will this manga go on?!?!
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

solidis1 wrote:To be completely honest I don't think Oh Great! has shown us the big picture yet. What about the 100 year war that Mitsuomi has talked about? How much longer will this manga go on?!?!
(Uneducated Guesses Warning)
True, I wonder how strong the rest of the school is going to be in the tournament. Everytime I think of the tournament I keep thinking its just going to be Enforcement group V.S. Jukenbu, but they have got to reach some sort of opposition from the rest of the school. I wonder if that's what his taking about? Yeah Nagi & Bob did kick alot of tail when they first arrived by themselves, but did they beat everyone up? 100 years war sounds like everyone is going to bring the pain (outside schools, inside factors, Maybe not even students :?: ). I wouldn't mind seeing a long Tournament (2-3 Chapters) until the final bout.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Just a note, but from the latest stuff that I've translated from the Ultra Jump Special, the Imperial Tournament is open to everyone - not just school people.

The Election Tournament (that looks like it decides who goes to the Imperial Tournament from the school) does look like it is closed to just the school though.
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

Election Tournament Decides Enforcement Group, won be the best of the school. Does winning the Imperial Tournament mean your one badass group of fighters, best in the world? I wonder why the old jukenbu didn't enter the Imperail Tournament? I guess it could be because the group sort of disbanded. Im going to read the Welcome page.

Edit: No need to answer
Toudou Gakuen's yearly schedule is shown above. It is quite different from a regular school's schedule. The most unique among them is the Imperial Tournament.All of the different martial arts groups from Japan participate in the Imperial Tournament, which is supposed to be a tournament that doesn't discriminate on the style or goals of the groups involved.The winner of the government-backed tournament is said to stand atop the martial arts world. Of course the winnder, and the group he is attached to, holds great influence afterwards. This competition is noticed by martial artists, fans, the media, and even politicians. For examle, the former Chief Cabinent Secretary won the event.
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

The Enforcement Group probably entered. We can safely assume they did, though the manga will probably never bring that up...not at this moment at the very least.
solidis1
Doushi
Doushi

Post by solidis1 »

One thing that confuses me, why was Mitsuomi able to fight Shin in the tournament? What teams were they on?
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

solidis1 wrote:One thing that confuses me, why was Mitsuomi able to fight Shin in the tournament? What teams were they on?
Are you talking about the last fight where Shin dies? I always thought that was a fight within the Jukenbu to decide the next leader. Mitsuomi probably felt that since he did more work in the Tournament (He did beat the last team himself). He should get a shot at being the leader. Maybe maya was also a reason for that fight.
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

One thing that confuses me, why was Mitsuomi able to fight Shin in the tournament? What teams were they on?
That wasn't an election tournament fight. Mitsuomi challenged Shin and he accepted. Though it wasn't directly announced, it was a fight for Maya.
TW_J
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by TW_J »

why is it i still get that bad feeling souhaku is doing more than just torture to souichirou kurei mentions that souichirou is being planned as Group F's trump card so technically speaking souhaku wouldnt be too stupid as to torture him to death and on the contary souichirou due to F's plans i still believe souichirou will be fighting against both the enforcement and jyuukenbu as F's representative since madoka is too young to compete and souhaku would most likely not enter since he is tooo old ishyumi(sry cant spell) may enter but thats probably it so what im saying and thinking is that souichirou will be the antagonist for the time being well thats my theory i also think once bob sees how souichirou has changed he may get angry and join the enforcement group to catch up to souichirou and masataka may also keep an eye on him afterall souhaku has his eye on masataka which he may (THATS RIGHT MAY)be a future threat to the F group well thats my theory laugh at me as u will or acknowledge my theory lol
natsume
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by natsume »

hey is it true that nagi is in love with maya natsume and how did maya response when she found out pls tell me
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

natsume wrote:hey is it true that nagi is in love with maya natsume and how did maya response when she found out pls tell me
What are you a moron? Go find the book and read past vol 1 then come back and ask stupid questions. Oh and I hate to ruin it for you but it turns out Nagi is gay, he's Bob bitch, and Maya becomes an 8year old because she only dates 3rd graders now.
natsume
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by natsume »

i see well im sorry for asking a stupid question pls forgive me for being a MORON T_T
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

natsume wrote:i see well im sorry for asking a stupid question pls forgive me for being a MORON T_T
Apology accepted, and you're forgiven.
Halon
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Halon »

I like watching guys who are weak in the beginning become strong later on, i just never get tired of it, but Nagi is different as you say, he doesn't grow that much stronger, as he learns about the past which may have something to do with his change.