Does Bob have a job?

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

Post Reply
User avatar
shogun gekomon
Tamashii
Tamashii
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:08 pm
Location: England

Does Bob have a job?

Post by shogun gekomon » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:34 pm

i was just wondering how bob and chaki pay the rent on there apartment, buy food, motorbikes etc.
does one of them have rich parents or something?
just wonderin..
peace

User avatar
hitori
Bushi
Bushi
Posts: 256
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2003 2:30 pm
Location: Toudou Gakuen

Post by hitori » Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:45 pm

Some possibilities.
  • 1. Large inheritance: loaded parents always a good thing
  • 2. Scholarship: after all, Bob and Nagi made an impressive showing at teir middle school
  • 3. Rich girlfriend: Chiaki the sugar daddy
...

Just kidding... :wink:

User avatar
pv82
Sensei
Sensei
Posts: 686
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2003 12:13 pm
Location: H Town

Post by pv82 » Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:54 pm

Isn't Bob's dad some important Colonel or Captain?

User avatar
moyism
Senpai
Senpai
Posts: 440
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:47 am
Location: NJ
Contact:

Post by moyism » Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:45 pm

sugar mommy hitori, not sugar daddy.... :wink:

User avatar
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei
Posts: 661
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:41 am
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Post by kujoe » Fri Jul 09, 2004 12:22 am

pv82 wrote:Isn't Bob's dad some important Colonel or Captain?
We do know that Bob is either American-Japanese or Brazilian-Japanese. His last name is Makihara, so there's also a possibility it's his mother who's the foreigner.

As for how Bob and Chiaki get their money to pay the bills--probably through the usual way. The parents send money to the kids to pay for their needs. The rest probably comes from part time jobs from time to time.

That, or Chiaki is simply loaded with money. :D

User avatar
pv82
Sensei
Sensei
Posts: 686
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2003 12:13 pm
Location: H Town

Post by pv82 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:23 am

kujoe wrote:
pv82 wrote:Isn't Bob's dad some important Colonel or Captain?
We do know that Bob is either American-Japanese or Brazilian-Japanese. His last name is Makihara, so there's also a possibility it's his mother who's the foreigner.

As for how Bob and Chiaki get their money to pay the bills--probably through the usual way. The parents send money to the kids to pay for their needs. The rest probably comes from part time jobs from time to time.

That, or Chiaki is simply loaded with money. :D
Vol 10 pg 116-177
In the 2nd semester of his 3rd year in elementary school he started going around with Bob Makihara, whose father Jean Rodorigo was a first lieutenant in the American Navy and went back to his native country, which led to Bob transferring to the same shcool as Souichirou. Because of their aggressive nature they kept running into each other over and over, and after a few months, they finally made a reconcilliation.
Rodrigo or Rodorigo? That sounds Portuguese, it could be either any Spanish or Portuguese speaking country. Kujoe's assumption is mostly likely right, but the way that's sounds, it could also mean Jean is from Japan. Unless he just abandoned Bob in Japan :? . N E Ways, As far as Bikes go, didn't Bob steal all of those. Plus, I wonder how much money the Knucle Bombs collected when the first arrived at Toudo.

User avatar
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei
Posts: 661
Joined: Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:41 am
Location: Vancouver, Canada

Post by kujoe » Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:25 am

Well, there's your answer then. Makihara could be just his mother's name or possibly his foster father's. It does look like he was abandoned--which wasn't an uncommon trend during that time, unfortunately. Really, I don't know.

And the Knuckle Bomb collecting money? You make it sound as if they were bullying people for their cash. :wink: I doubt they'll have an easy time doing that in Toudou Gakuen. Maybe, during their younger days.

User avatar
Dembol
Doushi
Doushi
Posts: 150
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:15 pm
Location: Cracow, Poland
Contact:

Post by Dembol » Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:10 am

pv82 wrote:
In the 2nd semester of his 3rd year in elementary school he started going around with Bob Makihara, whose father Jean Rodorigo was a first lieutenant in the American Navy and went back to his native country, which led to Bob transferring to the same shcool as Souichirou. Because of their aggressive nature they kept running into each other over and over, and after a few months, they finally made a reconcilliation.
Rodrigo or Rodorigo? That sounds Portuguese, it could be either any Spanish or Portuguese speaking country. Kujoe's assumption is mostly likely right, but the way that's sounds, it could also mean Jean is from Japan. Unless he just abandoned Bob in Japan :? . N E Ways, As far as Bikes go, didn't Bob steal all of those. Plus, I wonder how much money the Knucle Bombs collected when the first arrived at Toudo.
Rodrigo/Rodorigo is probably a Brazilian name. I guess this would fit best since Capoeira (Bob's fighting style) also comes from Brazil.

User avatar
I <3 Chun Li
Yuurei
Yuurei
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:44 pm

Re: Does Bob have a job?

Post by I <3 Chun Li » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:46 pm

shogun gekomon wrote:i was just wondering how bob and chaki pay the rent on there apartment, buy food, motorbikes etc.
does one of them have rich parents or something?
just wonderin..
peace
Its obvious they sell whatever Souichirou can get from fishing :lol:

User avatar
shogun gekomon
Tamashii
Tamashii
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:08 pm
Location: England

Post by shogun gekomon » Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:39 pm

Its obvious they sell whatever Souichirou can get from fishing
hehe, obviously
but we know that chaki doesnt have a job, because she offers to get one to support bob, this happens in like vol.5 after the bowling alley fight, and we know she cant be rich, because if she was y would she need a job right?
also the way she said it seemed to imply that if she got a job bob wouldnt have to attend todou gakuen anymore, which leads me to think bobs funds have some connection to him attending that school
?
waddya think?

User avatar
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu
Posts: 2587
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2003 5:45 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Contact:

Post by FuguTabetai » Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:53 pm

Maybe Toudou Gakuen gives out scholarships? Honestly though, I don't know. This hasn't been discussed anywhere in anything that I've translated.

User avatar
I <3 Chun Li
Yuurei
Yuurei
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2004 5:44 pm

Post by I <3 Chun Li » Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:48 pm

Education Loans?

Student Exchange Program?


Hey how do Maya and Aya stay rich? They dont seem to have jobs or parents to support them

AckeDman
Yuurei
Yuurei
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:46 am

Post by AckeDman » Sun Jul 11, 2004 7:48 am

the school seem to be like harvard combined with the cashflow of the skulls if everyone here have seen the movie they know what i mean... basically the school problably want strong people so much they are willing to pay for their living expenses.
Nice to see a black guy in a manga/anime for once.

User avatar
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu
Posts: 2587
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2003 5:45 pm
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Contact:

Post by FuguTabetai » Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:52 am

Also, many of the established families are just rich - large mansions and land grants from long ago. For an example, see the chat with Isuzu Emi a few volumes back.

User avatar
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi
Posts: 585
Joined: Thu Feb 27, 2003 2:24 am

Post by Agent_Wax » Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:04 pm

Honestly, I don't think this discussion is really that relevant. This is seinen manga. There is absolutley no explanation whenever it comes to how characters, often supposedly working or middle class, have an endless supply of trendy and fashionable designer wear, the most advanced cellphones, and cool vehicles that guzzle gasoline like John Constantine smokes. And the Natsume family is supposedly going broke. Man, I wish I could go broke the way comics characters go broke...

solidis1
Doushi
Doushi
Posts: 182
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2004 4:02 pm

Post by solidis1 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:01 am

It's true that they do always look fashionable with cool clothes which is a plus in my book.

Post Reply