Random fighting mangas

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

shogun gekomon
Tamashii
Tamashii

Random fighting mangas

Post by shogun gekomon »

A friend of mine recently came back from a visit to japan with some interesting mangas i'd never heard of before, i dont speak Japanese so obviously my understanding of them is minimal, but they look quite good, and from what my friend has translated for me, the stories seem quite interesting too. If anyone has any info on the following i would be supremely grateful. :D
ok here we go:Goda Gun, koko tekken-den (or TOUGH), and something called Ninku, which features a super deformed hero with giant eyes and a pet penguin(?)
hitori
Bushi
Bushi

Post by hitori »

I know Go Da Gun and Ko ko Tekken den.

Go Da Gun is about this highschool in the middle of nowhere.
All the storongest fighters go there to study.
The protagonist is a guy named Gun.
His martial arts is called "Gun fighting" or something.
The principle idea behind that martial art is that the practitioner of the art can make his body behave explosively.
For instance you can shoot your body forward like a bullet while 'cocking' your arm back and on impact with your opponent, release all the charged energy at once.

Gun is practically a master at this art, second only to his Dad.
His Father is a legend in the school, because nobody could ever beat him until he graduated or some such.
It's a story about Gun and all the other ridiculously strong highschool kids that go to the crazy school.

Ko Ko Tekken Den is a very nice manga.
It's a very typical shonen-gangsta-wannabe-delinquent-highschool-boy-fights-everyone-who-crosses-his-way genre.
But the story doesn't get too boring and carrys the flow well.

Both are fighting/comedy type mangas.
GDG has a more stylized drawing style(humongous muscles, people tearing down mountains with bare hands etc) and KKTD has a more realistic style.
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

Tough is serialised in Young Jump. It has pretty good fight scenes, but I really don't think very much of Tetsuya Saruwatari's design work. Pretty much every single manga title the guy has ever done has the same-looking main character. Or maybe it is the same character. I've never read any of his books.
shogun gekomon
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by shogun gekomon »

cool thanks, have they been licensed and/or translated yet?
(hint hint fugu) :lol: , jk
is their any chance cmx will license them?
solidis1
Doushi
Doushi

Post by solidis1 »

I tried looking for them on the internet but not much came up. Just like Tenjo Tenge used to be.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

shogun gekomon wrote:cool thanks, have they been licensed and/or translated yet?
(hint hint fugu) :lol: , jk
is their any chance cmx will license them?
I don't know anything about them, and am plenty busy trying to finish up my phd and look for a job in Japan.
If I need to find something to translate, I'll probably look for something that I see as a bit more outside of the mainstream. Thanks for the suggestions though.
shogun gekomon
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by shogun gekomon »

I don't know anything about them, and am plenty busy trying to finish up my phd and look for a job in Japan.
srry, i was just joking, i cant imagine how much of your time this site must take up. If you dont mind me asking, what subject is you phd?
and have you ever eaten fugu? i want to but its dangerous, im scared... :oops:
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

shogun gekomon wrote:
srry, i was just joking, i cant imagine how much of your time this site must take up. If you dont mind me asking, what subject is you phd?
computer science, natural language processing, multilingual text summarization.
shogun gekomon wrote: and have you ever eaten fugu? i want to but its dangerous, im scared... :oops:
no. I would like.
hitori
Bushi
Bushi

Post by hitori »

FuguTabetai wrote:
shogun gekomon wrote: and have you ever eaten fugu? i want to but its dangerous, im scared... :oops:
no. I would like.
Have you been to restaurant Nippon in Midtown?
They serve fugu.
Go there between winter and spring.
They even have hire-sake. :D
hitori
Bushi
Bushi

Post by hitori »

I miss the City... cry :cry:

EDIT: man, I gotta visit nyc this winter to get some uni and fugu.
I've been in the Hot-lanta for the last two years and ...we don't do sushi down here...
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

Has anoyne ever heard of B Reaction. It comes out in Ultra Jump every so often. I kinda like it, but I don't know where to get it or if it is even released in manga format
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

I don't know much about B Reaction, but I do like Hell's Angels, which is also in Ultra Jump. It is just so damn hard to read (very messy lettering - to match the art - which is very nice.) I've only read 1 or 2 random chapters though, so I don't know what is going on with it.
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

FuguTabetai wrote:I don't know much about B Reaction, but I do like Hell's Angels, which is also in Ultra Jump. It is just so damn hard to read (very messy lettering - to match the art - which is very nice.) I've only read 1 or 2 random chapters though, so I don't know what is going on with it.
Did you hear it is being made into an anime(Hells Angel), by the same studio who did Tenjo tenge(source: Natsume Maya). Do you know what the difference is bettween Hells ANgel and GO GO Heaven? The looks almost the same with the same Characters.

Just out of curiousity Fugu, May I ask if are you planning to do any more Translation/Scanalation after the Ultra Jump Special Issue? I heard you were once interested in doing NEEDLESS. How long do you plan to do Tenjo Tenge? Once you head over to Japan, will this site go down?
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

pv82 wrote:
FuguTabetai wrote:I don't know much about B Reaction, but I do like Hell's Angels, which is also in Ultra Jump. It is just so damn hard to read (very messy lettering - to match the art - which is very nice.) I've only read 1 or 2 random chapters though, so I don't know what is going on with it.
Did you hear it is being made into an anime(Hells Angel), by the same studio who did Tenjo tenge(source: Natsume Maya). Do you know what the difference is bettween Hells ANgel and GO GO Heaven? The looks almost the same with the same Characters.
I don't know the answer to any of those questions. Sorry.
pv82 wrote: Just out of curiousity Fugu, May I ask if are you planning to do any more Translation/Scanalation after the Ultra Jump Special Issue? I heard you were once interested in doing NEEDLESS. How long do you plan to do Tenjo Tenge? Once you head over to Japan, will this site go down?
Well, if any more Vulgar Ghost Daydream comes out, I'll do that. If any more Dogs comes out, I'll do that. I plan to keep translating Tenjo Tenge so people can get my Japanese / English scripts, but I've lost a bit of enthusiasm for that since Evil Genius picked up Tenjo Tenge. But whatever, I'm not here to criticize. I still think it is useful for people to have high quality scripts. NEEDLESS looked interesting, but I never got around to picking it up.

I plan to host this site (along with 2 others that I have, fugutabetai.com and smugeeks.com) on a comercial hosting service, and do not intend to shut it down. Depending on how busy I am, I would like to keep working on GMAO and translating.
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

Hm, it's not really a 'fighting manga' since it's not about martial arts, but more a fantasy manga ( manwha actually, 'tis Korean ), I really like Ragnarok :)

It's the story about Chaos, a young warrior who gets told he's the reincarnation of Baldur and has to prevent a new Age of Ragnarok, I'm up to volume 7 and I really like it, though the stories are quite short, it goes for a REALLY quick read ...
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

pv82 wrote:
Has anoyne ever heard of B Reaction. It comes out in Ultra Jump every so often. I kinda like it, but I don't know where to get it or if it is even released in manga format
There is 1 volume of B.Reaction out currently.
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

Agent_Wax wrote:pv82 wrote:
There is 1 volume of B Reaction out currently.
Thanks, Natsume Maya has given me the ISBN.

ISBN 4-08-876506-0
Price 620 yen (including tax)
Released in September 2003

its currently at Ch. 17 in UJ so its new.

Im thinking about buying it and either scan it and seem if any goups is interested, or just try to to the trans myself.
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

and have you ever eaten fugu? i want to but its dangerous, im scared...
http://www.destroy-all-monsters.com/fugu.shtml

Tetrodotoxin is a heat-stable selective Natrium-channel blocker. It inhibits your nerves from moving your muscles and paralysis is the result. Death occurs by asphyxiation. 1 milligram can kill the average human. As many as 50-100 deaths a year from tetrodotoxin poisoning in Japan, most often due to uncertified people preparing and eating it.
shogun gekomon
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by shogun gekomon »

bah! fuck that, i aint eating it now
hitori
Bushi
Bushi

Post by hitori »

shogun gekomon wrote:bah! fuck that, i aint eating it now
Hence only a certified chef should handle fugu fish.
If you prepare it fresh and do not disturb the integrity of the intestines etc, the fish is completely safe to eat. ;)
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

hitori wrote:
Hence only a certified chef should handle fugu fish.
If you prepare it fresh and do not disturb the integrity of the intestines etc, the fish is completely safe to eat. ;)
I think I saw that in this one special on Discovery Channel on diffrent foods. There was Balut (looks Yummy :wink: ), Barbequed Bats, and Live Octopus(Squid? I am not a Biology major). The Octupus has to have it's poison sac cut off or it can be toxic. It showed some guy died because the live Octopus' tentacles got stuck between his teeth and it blocked his Breathing passageway :shock: . I think it freaky that even though you cut the tentacles off, they still move for like 3 hours :shock: .
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

A person told me that you'll have to sign a contract of some sort that entitles you to waive the right to sue the establishment (or the chef), when you get poisoned. :P I wonder if this is true...
pv82 wrote:I think I saw that in this one special on Discovery Channel on diffrent foods. There was Balut (looks Yummy :wink: )
To those who don't know what it is, it's a fertilized duck egg. It's a Filipino delicacy, though I haven't tried one myself.
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

kujoe wrote:To those who don't know what it is, it's a fertilized duck egg. It's a Filipino delicacy, though I haven't tried one myself.
I had a feeling you would know what this was :wink: , no offense meant.

Anyways congrats on becoming a Senpai

BANZAI BANZAI BANZAI :lol: :mrgreen:
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

pv82 wrote:I had a feeling you would know what this was :wink: , no offense meant.
None taken.

I was just somewhat amused how the topic moved from fighting manga to exotic food. There must be a connection somewhere. :wink:
pv82 wrote:Anyways congrats on becoming a Senpai
Heh. Thanks!
hitori
Bushi
Bushi

Post by hitori »

I just noticed, too!
Congrats kujoe senpai. :D

Now one begins to wonder what the next title would be?
Iincho? (class president) :wink:
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

hitori wrote:Now one begins to wonder what the next title would be?
Iincho? (class president) :wink:
No, I don't think there are many left. Never expected this many posts!
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

kujoe wrote:I was just somewhat amused how the topic moved from fighting manga to exotic food. There must be a connection somewhere. :wink:
Actually in the special it said that there are beliefs in the Philipines that Balut makes people stronger, by making they stomachs stronger.
balut is also considered to be strengthening - providing a burst of protein to replenish lost energy after an amorous encounter... The Filipino equivalent to post loving pizza.
Its also believed to be an aphrodisiac. Maybe Nagi would have learned the Gates fast if he had ate some Balut, or done a little better with Aya :twisted: . For the squid, it was some sort of initation to manhood and has some ties with Kendo I believe. Ofcourse there is no concrete proof and I am getting this second hand from that special. So please do not flame :oops:
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

bah! fuck that, i aint eating it now
Sorry, it's not my intention of discouraging you from trying it if you really want to. You just need to be aware of the risks. In fact, I intend to feast on blowfish myself, someday. And 100 a year isn't really that significant. I don't know how many people eat Fugu in Japan every year, but it can't be less than 100'000. So you have only a 1 in 1000 odds of a fatal poisoning (0.001% chance), if not even less. Just to keep things in perspective, your odds of developing a fatal form of cancer in your lifetime is about 1 in 3, dying from heart disease is about 1 in 6, and your odds of dying in your lifetime is exactly 1 in 1 :wink: .

Oh, and just for fun, the odds that you'll:

Get married - 3 in 4
Get fat - 1 in 4 (see, it's not Isuzu's fault!)
Get murdered (US) - 1 in 4
Go to prison - 1 in 2.2
Get breast implants - 1 in 65

I'm not sure how accurate these numbers are, though. :P
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

pv82 wrote:Actually in the special it said that there are beliefs in the Philipines that Balut makes people stronger, by making they stomachs stronger.

. . . .

Its also believed to be an aphrodisiac.
Yeah, I also heard about how balut can serve as an aphrodisiac, but I haven't experienced its effects first hand to verify that for myself. :twisted:

I'm not sure about the stomach part though. I generally have a high tolerance to different kinds of food, so it may not make a difference for me.
Agent_Wax wrote:Sorry, it's not my intention of discouraging you from trying it if you really want to. You just need to be aware of the risks. In fact, I intend to feast on blowfish myself, someday. And 100 a year isn't really that significant. I don't know how many people eat Fugu in Japan every year, but it can't be less than 100'000. So you have only a 1 in 1000 odds of a fatal poisoning (0.001% chance), if not even less. Just to keep things in perspective, your odds of developing a fatal form of cancer in your lifetime is about 1 in 3, dying from heart disease is about 1 in 6, and your odds of dying in your lifetime is exactly 1 in 1 :wink: .

Oh, and just for fun, the odds that you'll:

Get married - 3 in 4
Get fat - 1 in 4 (see, it's not Isuzu's fault!)
Get murdered (US) - 1 in 4
Go to prison - 1 in 2.2
Get breast implants - 1 in 65

I'm not sure how accurate these numbers are, though. :P
Well, considering that one's chances of getting breast implants is actually higher than dying from fugu poisoning--I guess it's not so bad after all! I'll probably eat one in the future--when I'm already old and dying that is. :P
shogun gekomon
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by shogun gekomon »

Sorry, it's not my intention of discouraging you from trying it if you really want to

dont worry about it, truth is i dont have the money to spend on exotic and deadly quisine :lol: , but i will try it one day, but jeez now im scared im gonna die of cancer, THANKS! :x