un-serious question

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

faithinfire
Yuurei
Yuurei

un-serious question

Post by faithinfire »

heres my question. is any of this martial arts teniques or abilities actually real, or is Oh!Great just making it up as he goes along?

can people really "channel energies" to do the sort of things like shin, nagi, aya, masataka, and all the other crazies running around like sohuku or mistuomi? can human beings achieve that "level"?
everyone should play guitar
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Re: un-serious question

Post by pv82 »

faithinfire wrote:heres my question. is any of this martial arts teniques or abilities actually real, or is Oh!Great just making it up as he goes along?
I can verify that Capoeira (Bob's Fighting style) is a real fighting style. Its a 400 yr old fighting techinique.
Capoeira is a Brazilian art form which combines fight, dance, rhythm and movement. Capoeira is a dialog between players - a conversation through movement which can take on many shades of meaning. The details of capoeira's origins and early history are still a matter of debate among historians, but it is clear that african slaves played a crucial role in the development of the artform. Some historians claim that slaves used capoeira's dance-like appearance as a way to hide their training of combat and self defense. Capoeira's many styles come out of the context of two principle branches that were formalized in the first half of the twentieth century following capoeira's legalization. This is only the beginning of the story - look below to find out more. But to really understand capoeira, you need to see it for yourself
from http://www.princeton.edu/~capoeira/ln_abt.html

other links

http://www.informationgenius.com/encycl ... oeira.html
http://www.capoeira-angola.org/what_is_capoeira.htm
http://www.martialartsregister.co.uk/th ... sp?artid=5

I tried loooking up Mental Universe (Masataka) Online a while back, but I kept coming up with metaphysical stuff, nothing related to fighting. Im pretty sure some there are other original fighting styles are used in the manga, but this is the one I know about.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Re: un-serious question

Post by FuguTabetai »

pv82 wrote:I tried loooking up Mental Universe (Masataka) Online a while back, but I kept coming up with metaphysical stuff, nothing related to fighting.

I have no idea wha the real name for that would be. I had a hell of a time coming up with "Mental Universe" - it at least has the meaning of some of the kanji...
Tiza
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Tiza »

As far as I know Shin and Aya's ability, Dragon's Eye is a much much greater version of precognition in real life. It's an extra sensory perception, or the third eye.

As a side note, yes I believe that channeling energy is possible. Have you seen that needle assassin that was interviewed in Ripley's believe it or not? He's a chinese guy that came from a family of assassins. He can pierced through glass with a needle.
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

Of course you can channel energy ;)

It just takes LOADS of concentration, which most people aren't eble too, especially not me, I just can't concentrate, I'm almost a insomniac because of it :?
faithinfire
Yuurei
Yuurei

possibilty of styles of martial arts

Post by faithinfire »

ive read into some of the basic of wing chung and some of it explains the basics of controlling chi movements through the body through pressure points ie shins "wave" attack against mistuomi and some of the mental parts of the one inch punch like naga and masataka.

i went online and found a "chi, ki, gi, etc controlling guide" written by some guy with the basics of actully what to do with pratice and ability, and we all know some people are just born freaks, like shin and sohuku, able to pyschokeniticlly proform unnautral control over elements of reality.

past this, its the looking glass, people.
Fulsion
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Fulsion »

Maybe not real, but you can easily see where he got his inspiration from : my take -

TJTG techniques / Likely IRL Martial arts inspirations :

Swordsmanship (natsume family) - 99.9% likely derived from IRL Kendo/Iaido

"Striking" traditional martial arts (natsume family, most characters that know how to fight) - 99% likely inspired from or taken off actual real life karate (though karate has many variations), or other common asian martial arts like kung fu or taekwondo

"Internal" martial arts "internal energy cultivation" (anyone who works with "qi" eg masataka) - probably chinese martial arts, wing chun is common though IMHO it's getting more into tai chi. It's more "Internal" martial arts (where external is the opposite, what I mentioned above, like karate or taekwondo where you aim to physically hurt them with your limbs). Hard to explain, you could get a more accurate description by googling these terms, tehre are several good websites out there with descriptions. Qi/Chakra concept is harder to explain, and in IRL you won't be able to find people that can do energy ball/kameha blast/shoryuken but stuff like 1 inch punches or open hand striking (cause internal injury) is real (and if done correctly, HURTS LIKE HELL)

"Fighting" (bunshichi, bob, sagamask) - kick/boxing, capoeira, muay thai ? otherwise some form of wrestling/grappling (eg jujitsu, judo, krav maga - stuff that focuses on jointlocks and/or breaking bones)

Misc weapon experts - derived from the martial arts' respective specialties (I know that for sure several chinese styles have their own special weapon, eg shaolin staff fighting, and many kung gu schools have their own 3 section staff form)

"Mythical"/Elemental techniques - too much SHORYUKEN ! (typical jap manga/anime power or watching/playing too much street fighter, king of fighters, blah blah blah)

Gangs - Yakuza/Triad style - intimidation through numbers and suits O_o
faithinfire
Yuurei
Yuurei

mind over body

Post by faithinfire »

what about the mechanical part of the martial arts, like the eight staffed hand controlled system that the tsumanji (sic) had, or the using of floating powders (opuim apprently) to cause mass delusion. the science would have to be perfect for either to work, knowing the exact elements of each to work.

or the palm strike of doom shin did to mistuomi to alter his body so he can only fight for 3 or 5 minutes, thats theoretically possible by hitting the heart hard enough. according to adyuvardic (sic) beliefs in india the body does have spots where energys can be asorbed like the gate of healing the F mohawk kid does, or expelled like so many of the uber flashy moves the nagi and maya can do (like the forged needle attack or the rock breaking technique with a twig)

fu chien also had a very flashy martial art, controling the elements into kinetically charged attacks. the mind over matter principal of most chinese belief that the body is a part of all the elements and can be effected as so.
Spawn
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Spawn »

You knows Shenmue ?

In this game, All the Fighting-style are real (except Hazuki-style off course)
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

Traditional martial artists--such as those living in the mountains of Wudang and the Shaolin monks themselves--claim that the channeling of chi is possible. In fact, much of their martial arts revolves around such a concept.

Now in Tenjo Tenge, the action is pretty much exaggerated. Heck--even the usual brawl gets the manga treatment. Even Mana's methods seems to have a real life source--acupunture. Even though those Shaolin monks can pull off all sorts of amazing things, I doubt they could execute a Forged Needle like Shin or Mitsuomi. Moreover, going berserk goes against the teachings of many martial arts traditions.

With that said, the portrayal of martial arts in the manga is really just a mix of both fantasy and reality.
Dain
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Dain »

From my own experience in martial arts (mainly Tae Kwan Do and chinese Tai Chi, Xing-yi, and Kung-Fu) I would have to say chi is "real", although it's not something that you can objectively define as "real" or "not-real", it's totally subjective. Really, one must experience it rather than trying to see it. So if you want to know about chi and some basic methods of cultivating it I would recomend reading The Art of Chi Kung by Wong Kiew Kit. But if you really want to know if it's real or not, take up Tai Chi or Kung-fu (or both!) and see for yourself.
faithinfire
Yuurei
Yuurei

acuality

Post by faithinfire »

i myself have read the lastest shenmou(?) it actually it ties into tenge tenjo, ie training to be the ultimate master of fighting.

i pratice kendo myself, used to have a shinai bokken before i lost it. iv read a lot into the human body and martial arts and i began to wonder if Oh!Great was maybe just trying to tell whats really happening in the newest martial artist in japan or wherever, or maybe something that actually went down but made it into manga. \

everything realated to the dragons eye and every other uper supernautal "powers" is probably based off stories or legends. look at dragon ball. funny, but theoriticaly sic possible. a extra gene that allows precognition of opponents moves, while freakish, has probably happened somewhere along the dna of certain humans. btw i read manjin devil so i think oh!great is trying to get also allude into something like that ending wise

anyway myself ive meet people who can break small trees in one strike, meet lincesed lethal weapons, and seen other freaky stuff enough to think that the mental universe is a real martial arts and so is everything else.
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

I initially thought Mental Universe was a misreading on Great's part of the similarly-sounding Hsing Yi internal style, but it seems that Great is clear about what he's trying to say. In any case MU is a fictional style.

This is just what I know / have observed:

Natsume Style :- Jiujitsu-based
Bob :- Capoeira
Masa :- MU Kung fu
Mitsuomi :- Karate-based
Fu :- Tiger-style Kung fu
Bunshichi & Nagi :- Brawling
Ishiyumi :- Supposed to be Kyudo
Asshat :- Hide under the table
Sagara :- Wrestling
Kagurazaka :- Taekwando

Tagami probably uses a fictional bo-jutsu. Amano's mahjong-style is also likely fictional. Isuzu might be a ninja.

The stuff you see in TT are stylised. While martial artists are able to do some amazing things from years of training and practice, we can't shoot fireballs from our palms or de-age ourselves.
moyism
Senpai
Senpai

Post by moyism »

Agent_Wax wrote: Asshat :- Hide under the table
the best fighting style there is :D
Fulsion
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Fulsion »

the best fighting style there is
No, the best fighting style ever is hit them in the nuts :)

Though seriously, asshat seems to be some sort of boxer/kickboxer (I'm pretty sure he had some gloves on somewhere). Oh and his "bishounen" ability = autowin over girls.
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

Does anyone know what move this is, Ive seen Mitsoumi & Maya perform the same move during the Past Arc Tournament

Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

I'm not certain, but I think that's a shoulder/back slam from Baji Quan Kung Fu. Baji Quan is very popular in Japan, and is often seen in manga.
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

Previously, I kind of assumed Masataka's style to be kenpo-based since his style doesn't seem to be infused with the usual kung fu flavor. As for Asshat, he does seem to be training as a kickboxer as Fulsion says. Another interesting style to see in this manga would be Muay Thai.

Btw that pic reminds me of the fighting style of Akira from Virtua Fighter. What was his fighting style called again? That one was pretty devastating.
hitori
Bushi
Bushi

Post by hitori »

pv82 wrote:Does anyone know what move this is, Ive seen Mitsoumi & Maya perform the same move during the Past Arc Tournament
That's a 'Kao' move, meaning it's a leaning-in strike.
The most famous one is the Tetsu-San-Ko of the Hakkyoken.
Hakkyo is a minor martial art of Ziang-Zwen, China which was made famous by manga and video games.
The movements of the Hakkyo are explosive and feature a lot of charging strikes, which makes it flashy and perfect for video games and manga. :D

You can see examples of this art used by Akira Yuki of Virtua Fighter and Paul Phoenix of Tekken.

Here's a manga example of signature Hakko moves, featuring Arashi Shinozuka of Gad Guard. ;)
The bottom middle is the ko strike.
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

There we go. I didn't know that Baji Quan and Hakkyoku-ken were one and the same. Thanks for the cute diagram Hitori. :wink:

Here's some short info to complement that:

Chinese name: Baji Quan
direct translation: Eight Extremes Fist - "Kaimen Baji Quan" ("Fist of Opening Gates of Eight Limits"), "Yueshan Baji Quan" ("Yueshan's Fist of Eight Limits")

Under manga lore, Baji Quan is considered to be one of the most powerful (if not the most powerful,) martial art there is.
Last edited by kujoe on Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
hitori
Bushi
Bushi

Post by hitori »

I am pretty excited to find this video.
It's a demonstration of the Tetsusanko!

Let me remind you that in real life, the victim does NOT fly through 8 panels of walls or anything.
But it may knock the wind out of you and put you on the ground.

http://vfevo.com/board/data/vf_pds_02/Back.avi

Edit: apparantly the server doesn't allow outside linking.
Please copy the URL and paste it in the Address field of a new browser window.
Last edited by hitori on Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
hitori
Bushi
Bushi

Post by hitori »

One more:
Internet's great. :)
Found a demo movie from non other than the Wutang.org

The movie shows various moves of Baji/Hakkyo.
The metal lion in the beginning of the movie is a centuries old gigantic relic
still standing in the entrance to the hometown of Baji Quan (forgot the town's name).

About 40% in to the movie, you'll see why this is considered a very agressive and explosive martial art.
Chech out the distance the dude can travel with each punch/elbow move.
http://www.wutang.org/styles/demo/baji_film.wmv
faithinfire
Yuurei
Yuurei

theillumination

Post by faithinfire »

so then the freaks, the shin's and sohaku (nagis dad), the crazy looking guy chained and pierceings using preconginition also have a martial arts name? ryuzakis pyrokensis, does the martial arts have a name for that?

the mental universe sounds like scientology teachings, i wil try to find out.

you see im reading some intresting literture on the illminati about eletrical mind control and in the chapters about sohaku where he takes control of mawari and fuchien got real interesting. its possible, thats whats frightening me, and maybe theres a martial arts name for it.
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

so then the freaks, the shin's and sohaku (nagis dad), the crazy looking guy chained and pierceings using preconginition also have a martial arts name? ryuzakis pyrokensis, does the martial arts have a name for that?
No. Those are all fictional. Unless you count Souhaku's sorcery & necromancy.
faithinfire
Yuurei
Yuurei

unfunny

Post by faithinfire »

okay heres another approach, so this is a martial artist fight vs science and centeries of selective mind control to produce the greatest warrior to rule the world, like an antichrist figure. everything is reaching its final stages and the computer chip has been made with the ultimate techniques.

so things like the dragons touch are fake yet real at the same time, also like sohaku's abililty to control electricity. the science is able to match a person willpower and energies to make them perform weird things, like how sourichou? will be programed from his dad.
Fulsion
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Fulsion »

Dunno about the chip, but "supernatural" techniques only exist in the manga (we were saying some of the theory under it is true and can be done IRL, like 1 inch punches, but there's no such thing as dragon palms ounches =/)

FYI potential martial artists, "the best" only exists in the manga, anyone who wants to start training in an art should definitely take a few weeks to research and find out info about the tons of different arts there, to suit your own preference and body. If you have long strong legs, for eg, a heavy kicking art may suit you better than boxing or wrestling.
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

faithinfire wrote:okay heres another approach, so this is a martial artist fight vs science and centeries of selective mind control to produce the greatest warrior to rule the world, like an antichrist figure. everything is reaching its final stages and the computer chip has been made with the ultimate techniques.
I think I missed this--but does the chip actually contain information on ultimate martial art techniques? That really sounds like a cheesy idea. In fact, it reminds me of the latter half of the plot of Street Fighter Alpha OVA.:?

As for approaching the story and themes of TT--no offense--but aren't you reading too much into it? :wink: If the concepts and themes of the manga interest you, then it might be a good idea to start from the Kojiki and the Nihon Shoki--a collection of Japanese classical myths--as the UJ Special has pointed out.

Part history and part myth, these works of literature still live within the Japanese consciouness even up to this day, and some portions from these texts do contain ideas on what constitues a "hero" and so on. Now, reading beyond what is necessary...well, it's just a bit too much in my opinion. :)
faithinfire
Yuurei
Yuurei

maybe

Post by faithinfire »

ok i don't remember oh!great writing that its an computer chip with the ultimate techniques, that was just me thinking. maybe its a chart with everybodys dna so they can see whos the strongest or whatever? or a chip you can use to access a specific program or process that remains hidden? or just a plain old security chip with account numbers? whatever

okay i got a little zealous, trying to figure out the plot sorry.

i guess the only question left is there an actual martial arts bloodline like the white feather and the red feather? or families with martial arts lineanges?