Tenjo Tenge should be an anime

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

PorkRobinson
Yuurei
Yuurei

Tenjo Tenge should be an anime

Post by PorkRobinson »

Why not? The art is awesome, the story's cool, and the characters are unique and cool as hell. I think this it would make a great anime series. better than most of the boring junk I've seen lately.
Ikari
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Ikari »

Why do people keep suggesting this stupid idea. I hate it :evil:

You do realize that the anime probably wouldn't look as good as the manga. And some story could get left out. I'd hate to see the manga story get ruined.

Besides ... why make an anime with the same story??? I'd rather see an anime with an original story.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Also, the story and relationships in the manga are very complicated.

No way that would survive a transition to anime.

Besides, about 90% (statistic made up, but near accurate) of all anime is complete trash marketed at kids designed to sell toys. I can't even begin to tell you how much terrible stuff is on TV in Japan (or at least, has been both times I've worked there.)

TJTG just doesn't fit into that niche.
hitori
Bushi
Bushi

anime possibility

Post by hitori »

Well, the general TV programming in Japan is pretty crappy overall. =P
Our American television is close behind though!
Go FOX, go~!

I think parts of TJTG can be made into an anime.
For instance, the past arc on its own will make a very nice mini-series OVA.

It'll start out with some tense situation with no character introduction and no background in the present.
Such as a breif moment of silence in the middle of a chaotic battle between Maya and Mitsuomi.

Then the flashback begins.
They go back to the 'innocent days' when they were still freshmen.
Tell the past arc story, then come back to that first battle.
The OVA ends without showing the final outcome of the fight between Mitsuomi and Maya.

It's changing the storyline a bit, but I think everything will be nicely contained with no loose ends.
There will be less than 10 characters, story is linear, all situations come together to a climax, and everything ends.
Heck, if I had the resources, I would love to have this produced. 8)
Last edited by hitori on Tue Mar 18, 2003 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raistlin46
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Raistlin46 »

If it does become an anime, how long do you think it would be?
hitori
Bushi
Bushi

anime

Post by hitori »

I'd say 4~6 30 minute episodes would be enough.

1: Introduction and destruction of the Katana biker group.
2: Members gather, formation of Jukenbu.
3: Tensions mount between Shin and Mitsuomi.
4: The tournament finals and conclusion.

If I had my way, these may be the big themes.
The whole thing with Fu Chien and Takayanagi family can be downplayed a bit.
I'd focus more on Shin's obssession and instability; Mitsuomi's self realization and determination; Maya's troubled indecisiveness.

Could add the side stories to make things smoother.
Raistlin46
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Raistlin46 »

hmmmmm, do you think they will tone some of it down? You know, the echi? If they do such a thing, what anime company would do it, and what kind of job would they do?
Ikari
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Ikari »

Well.... the past arc might make a nice OVA, although it'd need a big budget so that we could enjoy OhGreat's artwork.

But much would be lost in the making of the anime. So I don't think TT would make a good anime. The story is far too long and complex. People who read the manga would complain.

Most of the manga->anime stuff sucks, especially if you read the manga. If the anime is good, it tends to be really long so that the details from the manga aren't lost. Somehow I feel that a TenjoTenge TV anime series wouldn't have the budget to recreate all the wodnerful scenes OhGreat drew in the manga.
hitori
Bushi
Bushi

Post by hitori »

Raistlin46 wrote:hmmmmm, do you think they will tone some of it down? You know, the echi? If they do such a thing, what anime company would do it, and what kind of job would they do?
Why would they need to cut the ecchi? ^^
That's part of what makes TJTG interesting.
Unlike the American Cable/Airwaves plagued with blanket censorship, the Japanese expertly broadcast different materials at different time slots to control viewer pools.
Actually, I think the Japanese have a higher tolerence for those kind of things.
You would be surprised what you can see in Japanese "late night" programming.
Heck, even some of the daytime programs would make the most tolorent American viewers blush.

I don't know what anime studios can produce what kind of stuff, but I hope it'll be one of the serious houses.
Definately not Gainax or Gonzo types...=P
Ikari wrote:Somehow I feel that a TenjoTenge TV anime series wouldn't have the budget to recreate all the wodnerful scenes OhGreat drew in the manga.
I think you are mainly concerned witht the quality of artwork and the budget needed to produce it.
Recently computer graphics has been helping with that.
You don't need to create as many scenes by hand and the production time (which is a major budget hiker) can be greatly reduced.
Of course I have seen and hate the 3D filled cheap productions, but it can be done well.

If a big enough company picks up this project, I think it can be done...
The_Shape
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by The_Shape »

I also thought an OAV series from the past arc would be the best idea. I actually thought that while i was reading it last week.

About the budget and sex, have any of you seen Mezzo Forte? Or Kite? Or Ninja Scroll? Or Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex? Or Angel Blade?

Not all anime is for kiddies. Lots of adult stuff on the OAV and late night market. Berserk was cheap but was an adult title. RahXephon looked gorgeous and it was a tv series. Same for Witch Hunter Robin...
standa-man
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by standa-man »

I think it would be really cool to have Tenjo Tenge as an anime. I agree with those that have said it should be the past arc OVA. The earlier parts don't really have enough plot to justify conversion to anime.

One thing's for sure though, if they made an anime I would not be satisfied unless:
1. The art is loyal to Oh! Great's.
2. The fight scenes are the greatest ever animated, with FULL MOTION, none of the extreme close up angles, blurry backgrounds for motion while the character remains static, or repeated frames crap. I think this would be the hardest thing. I think generally, mangas do a better job conveying fight scenes because one or two lush frames has a better impact than most of the animation gimmicks used during action scenes.

Personally, I find most manga turned to anime are subpar animes because they are usually exactly the same but with fewer details. In those cases you don't really gain anything by changing the medium.

Realistically, I think an anime version of Tenjo Tenge would probably turn all generic cuz the producers would focus on the boobs and fighting to the exclusion of everything else.
hitori
Bushi
Bushi

budget anime

Post by hitori »

Wow many people are interested in the subject of anime production.

I think great fighting scenes are possible even in a small budget production.
For instance, there is a superb work "Kaze makase Tsukikage Ran" (Following the winds Tsukikage Ran)
It's about a female ronin (wandering samurai) Tsukikage Ran, who has incredible sword skills.
The setting and philisophy is similar to "Rurouni Kenshin" and even the occasional comic reliefs are similar, but Tsukikage Ran is a more calm and serious work.

It was the lowest budget anime as it can be, but the budget was cut from many other aspects, NOT from the quality of storyline and artwork.
And it boasts some of the best swords fighting sequences.
Not flashy and extravagant like Kenshin, but realistic and chilling.
Check it out if you come across it. :wink:

This anime had to stop the production a few times because of the budget shortage, but managed to maintain even quality throughout.
The budget cut came mostly from small work group, limited number of characters in episodes, reduction in number of colors used in each cell AND smaller marketing campain.

Another example with great fighting scenes is "Scryed"
This was a high budget production, but it was a primetime TV show.
That means they had to produce one episode every week.
Of course they don't really produce one and air it the following week: they keep a queue.
But the production is bound to be pressed for time and usually the workmanship deteriorates, yet Scryed included off some of the best hand-to-hand combat sequences and art direction.

So I have hopes for the Japanese anime industry.
If by chance TJTG sees an anime production, I think they will do a good job and do justice to the original. 8)
ShiroiNeko
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by ShiroiNeko »

I am abslotulty agreed with that demo
i hope it will be a good transcription the fight they must be smthg in anime version
The_Shape
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by The_Shape »

hitori is right, there's a lot of cheap shows with excellent fights. But Tsukikage Run is mostly a comedy, not a serious ronin show... :D

Japanese have the tendency to think all anime is for kiddies, and all anime is cheap and dumb. It's funny how uninformed they are. I don't know why manga is ok but anime is considered kiddie or otaku stuff.

Oh well.

There are hundreds (yes, hundreds) of good, adult or late teens anime, with good writing. There are also a lot of anime with good fights. There's a lot of anime with good production values too.

Just going to list a few, from different genres (even the genres some people dismiss as stupid right off the bat, like mahou shoujo stuff).

Good Writing:
RahXephon (expensive tv series)
Revolutionary Girl Utena (cheap tv series)
Neon Genesis Evangelion (cheap tv series)
Serial Experiments Lain (tv series)
Boogiepop Phantom (tv series)
Blue Submarine 06 (expensive OAV)
Card Captor Sakura (expensive and long tv series)
Tiny Snow Fairy Sugar (tv series)
Saikano (tv series)

Good Fights:
Virus (tv series)
Fatal Fury OAVs (cheap OAVs)
Fatal Fury Movie (movie)
Battle Arena Toshinden (OAV)
Voltage Fighter Gowkaizer (OAV)
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (OAV)
Ninja Scroll (expensive Movie)
Flame of Recca (cheap tv series)

Most of those have supernatural fights, but all of them show good down-to-earth moves too.

Good Production Values:
Mezzo Forte (OAV)
Kite (OAV)
RahXephon (expensive tv series)
Witch Hunter Robin (expensive tv series)
Read or Die (expensive OAV)

and specially...

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, a very expensive 26 episode tv series that look betetr than most movies. The writing, production and even the action is fantastic.

Saying all anime is cheap or for kids is just not right. That's being uninformed or judging all anime from what you see in regular tv channels during the kids' blocks. And still, even in those there are one or two good titles.
ShiroiNeko
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by ShiroiNeko »

just think about smthgif it become a anime
what openning will they do ??? slthg weird

as the shape said there are a lot of anime for adult
but there is so much bad Co.
hitori
Bushi
Bushi

Post by hitori »

The_Shape wrote: But Tsukikage Run is mostly a comedy, not a serious ronin show... :D
My comment was only in comparison to Rurouni Kenshin.

Kenshin is Samurai Fantasy Fiction. :lol:
NVash
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by NVash »

I dont believe it. Most of the programming in Japan sucks? After watching and reading all this anime/manga I came to the conclusion that they were hiding alot of good stuff from us and that they have all this plus who knows how much more on tv daily. Guess I was wrong.

Tenjo Tenge into an anime... look at Berserk. It greatly lost quality. Same with Trigun. And even Hellsing.

But if done right, Id love to see it.
Rosi-chan
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Rosi-chan »

I really hope there will never be an anime of Tenjou Tenge, though it seems in Japan is quite popular so that an anim e version could be made .The reason because i hope it won't is that i wouldn't really like that the story, and especially the characters i love, would be given another interpretation or be ruined, i love them the way the original author created them .(That's why i don't like fandom either). Moreover, the plot woulb be spoiled by those typical "anime filling episodes" that stop the action and the main story (if you've ever seen Slam Dunk and you've also read the the manga you get the idea of what i mean). Sorry this post sounds kinda dizzy but it's very late here..zzzzz[BR]Bye
Rose-chan Aka Maya Natsume

http://digilander.iol.it/bimbasite
(sigh! we cannot put our great ten^2 website up :cry: :cry: :cry: )
Rosi-chan
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Rosi-chan »

If they'll ever turn it into an anime, I'll probably never watch it....
GO FOR THE MANGA!!!!
Rein
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Rein »

Since it seems like everyone is basically against anime I'll have to defend it here. First off, I wish people would stop comparing anime to manga. It is a pointless debate because they are too totally different medium. One has moving animation and the other doesn't. You have to have an open mind while watching any anime. Don't go in thinking it will be like my fav book or whatever. Anime is fun in that you get to see what they changed here and there. Who knows? You might like the changes they make. Then, if you're a manga fan anime will never do it for you, as for me personally, I would say I'm more of an anime fan. Even though I do read manga, this is the only one I'm currently reading.

As for people's suggestion about making the flashback arc into a nice little OVA. I would have to say that is the worst idea ever. I would be damn piss if I only got to see the past arc and nothing of the present one. If they ever made this story into an anime I say use every book, and may be keep the flashback arc a little shorter. Yes, the art and animation better be damn good. Along with that they better keep the ecchi part of the book and throw in some nudity. That's what makes this so funny sometimes.
arpl
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by arpl »

As long as the story is different,it's probably okay. Just don't make it like Naruto anime.WTH,it has the same story just like the manga,and now the drawing is soo frickin ugly.
GreatTeacherStone
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by GreatTeacherStone »

Yo homies, time for me to put my 2 cents in (random question, anyone know where the expression "put in my 2 cents" comes from, I'm geussing poker but why 2 cents?)

first off, the reason the Ghost in the Shell: SAC looks so good is because it is being partly produced in america and was prelicensed by an american company giving it about the largest TV budget in a very long time, combined with the use of newer digital technology (similar to Ninja Scroll TV)

secondly, I think that TJTG would dominate as an anime, especially if they made a long running series with OH!Great doing the character designs. It could end up being like the get backers anime which DOMINATES. I think the idea that anime is inherintly worse than manga in terms of story and art is the stupidest think I've ever heard, if something is just eye candy then it's not worth my time(or your time for that matter) and the story doesn't have to change because of the translation, let's take Flame of Recca or Naruto or pre-3rd-season kenshin, the plot's for these weren't hurt in the anime translation and as a plus the fights were about 1000 times better since, get this, THEY MOVED. so to sum up, why wouldn't you want your awesome manga to start moving, being in color and have sound?

thirdly, I noted that none of you complimented gundam, GOOD JOB, gundam blows the big one, the fights are lame, the everything is lame, all gundam series suck, ESPECIALLY gundam wing, for more of this sentiment download the gundam sucks AMV made by yours truly, GreatTeacherStone

fourth (don't worry this is the last part), in the words of a very wise Meer Cat (no way I spelled that right) HAKUNA MATATA
Rein
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Rein »

arpl wrote:As long as the story is different,it's probably okay. Just don't make it like Naruto anime.WTH,it has the same story just like the manga,and now the drawing is soo frickin ugly.
Ah, I don't understand.....people complain about stuff not being like the manga and now you're complaining about it is like it? Can't you people eve be happy. Personally, the drawing in the anime is way better than the ones in the manga. You must either be a real anime hater or blind not to see that.

Even if the drawing does drop quality here and there it is only because of budget. I wouldn't mind if the art drop if they can't make a few more episode with it.

I totally agree with GreatTeacherStone on his point of view. However, I must disagree on the Gundam issue. Yes, most Gundam series sux but the new Gundam Seed is actually pretty good. This time the story is character driven, not mech driven and that is a big plus. Gundam Wing wasn't so bad if you could look pass some things.
arpl
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by arpl »

Well, as for me i'd rather see anime that's based on a manga to have different storyline. I just can't stand watching it and already know the whole story.That's just my opinion.
For the art, starting from episode 29(or 30,i forgot) the drawing is uglier than the previous eps. I think toriyamaworld said that the manga creator no longer draw the anime.Maybe because of that i have a feeling that it's uglier.But it is quite true since the faces drawing are screwed.
zombi3d
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by zombi3d »

youre talking about naruto right?
yeah, i really hated the animation.. from episode one. at points its just too crappy and i feel like the animators are begginers or something, to many excessive movements.
and alot of this
naruto " this was my Kage bunshin technigue!"
baddy " .......kage bunshin?"
naruto " kage bunshin"

later,
kakashi " this is my sharingan"
baddy "sharingan?!"
kakashi " sharingan"

everybody repeats whatever the other guy says at least once!!!!!

that pisses me off to nend, and wastes half of the whole episode!

BUT STILL i cant get enough of naruto, i like the manga too much, and its cool seeing some of the fights, like naruto snapping against the ice ninja kid. i think they actually used CG for that scene

but still, overall the anime is crappy

bottom, its unreasonable for anyone to expect good quality anime when talking about TV series
anything with over 26 episodes will defeinly be composed of majorly bad animation, and a couple of good scenses here and there

dunno how they can pull this off with TT, unless its released as an OVA
Rein
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Rein »

Like I said before, you just can't make everyone happy can you? Tenjo Tenge can easliy be about 26 or so episodes, so I don't see that as a major problem. It all depends on the animation studio and how much money they have for the series that determines the quality of the anime.

I personally find that Naruto from the manga and anime are about the same level of drawing. The manga drawing aren't any better than what you get in the anime. However, I must agree that the second season's draws are just a bit off but that doesn't really affect the show in any major way though.
Honeyman
Yuurei
Yuurei
Location: Leeds, England (right now, studying in Kyoto, Japan)

Post by Honeyman »

It`s already been stated here, but you have to take factors into consideration such as potential budget, choice of studio, OVA, TV or film, etc.

Obviously, like anything if it`s done well enough we would be pleased and I believe that with the right combination Tenjo Tenge could be great in animated format. However, if it remains as only a manga then that`S fine with me (as long as it reaches a conclusion somewhere down the line, no probs :wink: !)

Even as a TV series it could be good. Though a common example, look at Cowboy Bebop. Now unless you hate it, that show was a clear example of a high quality TV series. The right production team just needs to be found!

End of jibber :D !
If you see a foreigner on the streets in Kyoto in late July, asking for 50¥ coins so he can play in the arcades, that`ll be me (and a bowl of chashumen please!)