CMX TT Vol 1 in February

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

Fugu wrote:
Do people usually prefer translated sound effects, edited in?
Speaking for myself, no. The more edits and translations are done, the further from the original the product becomes.

And seriously, having "BAM!", "CHUD!", and "BKOOM!" all over the panels might have been cool 20 years ago, but that's so passe now.
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

Hitori wrote:
This is a tough one to translate to an audience who most likely do not have background knowledge of where the expression originates from.
一(ik) - One
骑(ki) - Mounted soldier, warrior
当(tou) - As, equivalent to
千(sen) - Thousand

Ikkitousen - One warrior with the power of a thousand.
- 'Strength of a thousand'.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

With regards to Ikkitousen, they also missed out completely on the whole cultural relevance of the title; it isn't just literally the "strength of a thousand" but refers back to a well-known (which I do not know) legend from Chinese mythology, which fits into the whole re-telling of the romance of the three kingdoms bit.

Anyway.
hitori
Bushi
Bushi

Post by hitori »

True true...
The Ikkitousen manga totally bastardised the Romance of the Three Kingdoms story.
It was basically 'girls fighting each other for no apparent reason, durig which their clothes get torn off'.

"Battle Vixens" just about sums it up, actually... :lol:
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

hitori wrote:I think "Strength of a Thousand" was a very smart translation.
Now I'm curious how YOU would translate it! hehehe~ :twisted:
Nah. I wasn't saying that MrProphet's answer was wrong. In fact, it's more correct than "Battle Vixens."

I was just referring to how "Battle Vixens" and "Strength of a Thousand" are so far off from each other.
hitori wrote:"Battle Vixens" just about sums it up, actually... :lol:
Now that you mention it... Anyway, I'm not that familiar with the story of Ikkitousen, so I really wouldn't know. :lol:
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

No one really cares anymore, I know, but anyway.

CMX TT Vol 2 out in May:

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/ ... enjho2.htm

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/ ... /dcmay.htm

If that's the real cover, you just know it's going to blow...
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

I'm not sure about this, but I think it's a bit too--hmmm, I don't know--big? Is it supposed to look that way? I certainly would like to see the whole picture.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

OK, this is getting really weird...

Amazon has TJTG 1 listed for March 1.

CMX website has it listed for March 2.

So, today I drove to my local Borders which usually has pretty much everything and no, they didn't have it. But the real kicker is... they have it listed for March 31.

WTF?

Obviously, Barnes and Noble and B.Dalton didn't have it either.

Anyone had any luck? When is it coming out, anyway??

UPDATE: Aparently, someone did pick it up and according to them it is VERY much edited. Up to a point where Aya has a fake bra during her shower scene... OH man... I want to throw up. 8(

If this is confirmed, CMX editors are simply imbeciles. Why the hell did they even pick this series up for distribution?
Sleepy Weasel
Doushi
Doushi

gg CMX

Post by Sleepy Weasel »

Whatever kind of manga you're looking for, CMX has you covered.

Shojo? Got it. Shonen? Got that, too.

Horror? Yup. Fantasy? Got 'em both.

Funny stuff, romance, drama, adventure — it's all right here, straight from the land of the Rising Sun.

And it's pure manga — 100% the way the original Japanese creators want you to see it. In English!

CMX is putting the extra time and energy into getting it right. We're working with the best translators, some them hand-picked by the creators themselves! We're using the latest hi-tech digital production techniques and putting it all in a great package, because we care as much about these books as you do.

In fact, some top manga creators — ones who haven't let anyone near their work before — trust our dedication to their vision so much they they picked US to bring you the first-ever authorized editions of their work anywhere outside of Japan. Now, that's cool.

Whether you're a die-hard manga fan, a casual reader, or a first-timer wondering what the heck you've got in your hands, we think you'll see the difference.

CMX "about CMX page"... wow, they sure took people for a ride if this is in fact true
SaberStrykeX
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by SaberStrykeX »

Yep, I found one store in my area that had it. Its censored alright. Its censored bad. No nudity at all. Heck, they chopped and deleted whole panels. Underwear is painted on for aya and chiaki. Some of the dialogue seemed about the same but they obviously tried to make some of it more "hip" and tweaked it. Still, its not nearly as bad what they did to ikki-tousen. (dialogue wise) Yep, its as we feared. Save your money and stear clear from this one.
Sleepy Weasel
Doushi
Doushi

Post by Sleepy Weasel »

does CMX have an adress we can send hate mai... err.. comments to?
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

Screw them. I am keeping my tankoubons.

This is a REALLY moronic decision. Not because I am a fan of the manga and want it uncut, but because these days pretty much everything is released uncut, except for maybe some dialogue change and americanization of terms. And even really ecchi stuff is released in shrinkwrap and with a warning.

I really hope DC Comics and Time Warner do reach whatever demographic their imbecile execs were trying to reach. But it won't include me. DC gets zero dollars from my pocket!

You can express your displease here:

askeditors@dccomics.com

Jake Tarbox-- Editor
CMX Manga
DC Comics / Wildstorm Productions
888 Prospect Ave., Suite 240
La Jolla, CA 92037

As an advice, a non-anrgy mail is more likely to get their attention. However, at this point in time I don't really care if they fixed it, so flame their stupid asses all you like, I hope they burn in hell. :twisted:
BOZZ
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by BOZZ »

Whoa... I come home from school for news of these edits... Well it's sad that DC/CMX didn't mention the edits before the release or that word was leaked out like was the case for Negima which ended up coming out unedited (visually at least)...

Oh well I guess this means more money to buy more Bandai stuff like Overman King Gainer :P
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

I'm unsurprised. I'll stick to Arm of Kannon for my english manga fix.

Whatever kind of manga you're looking for, CMX has you covered.

Shojo? Got it. Shonen? Got that, too.

Horror? Yup. Fantasy? Got 'em both.

Funny stuff, romance, drama, adventure — it's all right here, straight from the land of the Rising Sun.

And it's pure manga — 100% the way the original Japanese creators want you to see it. In English!

CMX is putting the extra time and energy into getting it right. We're working with the best translators, some them hand-picked by the creators themselves! We're using the latest hi-tech digital production techniques and putting it all in a great package, because we care as much about these books as you do.

In fact, some top manga creators — ones who haven't let anyone near their work before — trust our dedication to their vision so much they they picked US to bring you the first-ever authorized editions of their work anywhere outside of Japan. Now, that's cool.

Whether you're a die-hard manga fan, a casual reader, or a first-timer wondering what the heck you've got in your hands, we think you'll see the difference.
*Cough*Bullshit*Cough*

DC can't see me now, but I'm flipping them 2 middle fingers. They couldn't license Air Gear instead?
Sota
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Sota »

burn in hell cmx!!!!!!!!!i really wanted to buy ten ten,even if i`am from chile( southamerica)i even have the money ,and now i will not buy censored crap =_=,ten ten is too good to be edited
sorry bad english >_<
Shinpachi
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Shinpachi »

BOZZ wrote:Whoa... I come home from school for news of these edits... Well it's sad that DC/CMX didn't mention the edits before the release or that word was leaked out like was the case for Negima which ended up coming out unedited (visually at least)...
I told yas about the preview in anime insider, and we all knew it'd have a teen rating, there was plenty of warning, but I don't think anyone really wanted to accept it. This does present a new saying though, "LEAP!!"
MetalGravy
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by MetalGravy »

Heh, wouldn't it be funny if this was just a ploy by DC to sell more books? Y'know, like, release a watered-down edited version. Then, after the initial backlash from the fans, release an unedited version so that more people will go out and buy the unedited version--just to make sure it gets supported (not to mention the friends of TenTen fans who have prolly heard how r0xx0r the original is). Then again, the amount of money they lose from releasing the edited version might not justify something like that... :twisted:
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

To think that the guy who wrote the Anime Insider preview was Zac Bertchy from AnimeNewsNetwork, a huge (at least he says so) fan of Tenjou Tenge. And no warning whatsoever...

Insider, my ass...
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

MrProphet wrote:To think that the guy who wrote the Anime Insider preview was Zac Bertchy from AnimeNewsNetwork, a huge (at least he says so) fan of Tenjou Tenge. And no warning whatsoever...

Insider, my ass...
Most people can be bought :)
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

No, CMX hasn't announced an uncensored version. But Blair Marnell at Silverbulletcomicbooks.com took an April 1st potshot at CMX:

http://www.silverbulletcomicbooks.com/rage/index1.htm

That Optimus Prime is such a slut.
MetalGravy
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by MetalGravy »

*sniff* does this mean no gangstatron?
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

Damned CMX, I wanted to see Prime's crotch :o
EliteF22
Senpai
Senpai

Post by EliteF22 »

Yeah, what a fabulous piece of metal it is. All blue and shiny. Ah, not that I would know. :oops:
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

Agent_Wax wrote:That Optimus Prime is such a slut.
:lol:

I found that pic funny (and smart) for some reason.

Uhm okay, maybe I just have a pathetic sense of humor. :oops:
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

I found this on Maya's Website

Check it out :wink:

http://www.listerx.com/article.asp?ID=39