Tenjho Tenge for teens

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

Shinpachi
Tamashii
Tamashii

Tenjho Tenge for teens

Post by Shinpachi »

That's what the newest Anime Insider magazine says, and they've got the first 6 non-color pages in it too. It's pretty close to Fugu's translation too, except they got who the captain was right on the second page :lol: But unfortunetely, it's a sure thing that the nudity's going to be taken out, and probably a lot of the best violence and threats, don't expect to see the broom in the ass, or Bunshichi saying anything funny. Oh yes, and the reason I think they'll tone it down a ton, is cause on the 6th page, where (in Fugu's translation) Nagi says "We'll kill ya all", in this it says something like "We'll smash em all" or something non-life-threatening like that, I left it out in my car so I can't give you the exact quote right now... But yeah if you want a quick preview, go pick it up for $5, it's got FMA on the cover.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

Ah... the second coming of Gundam Wing (i.e. kill/destroy thing). Bastards...
Shinpachi
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Shinpachi »

Reminds me of all these American comic book hero cartoons, where before any vehicle or building blows up, all of the people evacuate, and they make a point to show them escaping inevitable death. Damn the prudes!
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

I think this editing plain sucks... But... I still have my original manga, so whatever...
hitori
Bushi
Bushi

Post by hitori »

Shinpachi wrote:Reminds me of all these American comic book hero cartoons, where before any vehicle or building blows up, all of the people evacuate, and they make a point to show them escaping inevitable death. Damn the prudes!
Click here for MP3 file
Quote from Eurotrip: You know America was founded by prudes. Prudes who left Europe, because they hated all the kinky, steamy European sex that was going on.

I was looking forward to the US edition of TJTG and this is sad news.
Some works get translated so well, such as the Ghost in the Shell series or Gensou Suikoden series (both of which I own) but most of them are really bad. :?
pv82
Sensei
Sensei

Post by pv82 »

I didn't have high expectations when I heard DC had the license, but this is just sad. I would rather have had Dark Horse or Tokyo Pop pick it up. :cry:
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

Reminds me of all these American comic book hero cartoons, where before any vehicle or building blows up, all of the people evacuate, and they make a point to show them escaping inevitable death. Damn the prudes!
Or the original GI. JOE cartoon where all those Cobra pilots who get shot down ALWAYS manage to eject and parachute down...

Or those countless other cartoons where all these busty women run around in tight or semi-skimpy tops but NOTHING EVER BOUNCES! Makes you wonder what their boobs are made of... and what THAT teaches the kiddies...
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

Now this is a friggin' disappointment. It makes me hesitant to buy the first volume or even check it out. I think I'll wait for a reliable review.
Agent_Wax wrote:Or the original GI. JOE cartoon where all those Cobra pilots who get shot down ALWAYS manage to eject and parachute down...
When I was a little kid, I've always wondered why there seemed to be no casualties when they had all those tanks and guns. But man, was that so long ago, that I realize that it was partly ridiculous because it was meant to sell toys. :lol:
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

Nothing would sell toys better than death and bouncing boobs ...

... never mind I typed that :lol:

I'm happy I know enough French to get by with the French Ten Ten, it has no editing :D
Shinpachi
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Shinpachi »

kujoe wrote:When I was a little kid, I've always wondered why there seemed to be no casualties when they had all those tanks and guns. But man, was that so long ago, that I realize that it was partly ridiculous because it was meant to sell toys. :lol:
But they were cool ass toys! I can't really blame DC too much, they're doing it to expand their market or whatever, otherwise it'd be labelled Mature and that'd shutdown anyone under 18. This way, they're going to have the littlest of kids buying it, though probably very few people who were already fans before the US version. Oh well, I was looking forward to DearS more anyway, even if it is by TokyoPoop
Dembol
Doushi
Doushi

Post by Dembol »

I don't know if expanding your market gives you that much benefit if many hardcore manga fans won't buy it because it's edited (that's what I'd do if i lived in US). I also think that little kids won't be buying TJTG (or their Puritan parents will make a fuss and kick their asses if they see the contents of their little comics :P ).

I guess Berserk is sold without any editing (when I was in US I saw it in a bokostore wrapped up in some transparent thingie - you could see the cover, but it prevented you from browsing the insides which are rather not suitable for youngsters) - I'm not sure about that, because I couldn't damage the wrapping :evil: , but I guess Berserk with editing would be just blank pages ;) .
Anyway, couldn't DC do the same with TJTG?? (wrap it up and give 18+ sticker or whatever they think is suitable)

It would also stop those annoying browser-readers in bookstores damaging my copies and reading without buying.
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

Is it definately going to be edited? I mean I haven't read any DC titles lately but the last comic I did read was DC's Preacher a couple years ago, which had sex , nudity, extreme violence , every 4 letter word I knew plus some I didn't, and was probably the most blasphemous Christian-offending thing I ever read and was on the shelf right next to Batman and Superman. So I see no reason unedited Tenten can't be put out.
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

Preacher you say ?

Never heard of it :?
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

Well, Preacher was aiming for a mature audience from the get go, whereas TJTG seems to go for teens and above.

Editing stuff in TJTG would be like, "trying to please everybody" (which of course, is untrue..) and I'm afraid it can be easily done if the market "demands" it. But toning down Preacher? That's like attempting to censor a movie like Pulp Fiction.

Actually, perhaps the same can be said of TJTG. I mean, it's a manga by Oh! Great for crying out loud. Anyway, I also hope that TJTG remains unedited.
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

I managed to read the preview last night. Surprisingly, it didn't suck. Except for one bubble where Masa says "My homeroom is so stinkin' far from here". "Stinkin' "? Who says "stinkin' " anymore? What is this, a 90s Disney film? But aside from that, the translations are pretty smooth. The sound effects are a mix of translated and untranslated. The pages didn't have any panties so I couldn't tell how bad the cuts will be.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

hitori
Bushi
Bushi

Post by hitori »

Thanks Mr.Prophet! :D
I see the infamous "I'll smash all 'ya" in the last page. hehe
Not too bad, except that the dialogue are a bit unnatural sounding?

Edited links:
http://img107.exs.cx/img107/868/012mx.jpg
http://img107.exs.cx/img107/4473/029ew.jpg
http://img116.exs.cx/img116/9303/035cw.jpg
http://img116.exs.cx/img116/4578/042li.jpg
http://img116.exs.cx/img116/4194/057fw.jpg
http://img116.exs.cx/img116/8064/064rw.jpg
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

As long as the sex and violence are in, I can forgive an occasional lame attempt at sounding "urban" or "hip". I just can imagine Dark Horse wannabe-cool translators saying: "Wow, how about we insert another "Yo, dudes" in there. Wouldn't that be great?"

Also, I just had a thought about Dark Horse. They are the ones who released Ghost in the Shell manga in the States, and in was unedited except for 3 infamous pages of Motoko having hot lesbian sex. So, if we judge be that example, you can forget all of the Mitsuomi's interactions with Mana or Bob's with Chiaki...

But, at the same time, Dark Horse just released a totally unedited GITS manga. Everything's in there.

So I wonder, will they go by the old tradition or by the new one. I suspect we'll see major edits and the uncut version was just for the satisfaction of GITS-fanboys. But who knows...
hitori
Bushi
Bushi

Post by hitori »

MrProphet wrote:But, at the same time, Dark Horse just released a totally unedited GITS manga. Everything's in there.
How funny...
I discovered that fact just this morning and placed an order for it!
Huge fan of Ghost in the Shell universe and those three missing pages, despite being short, intoduced a huge concept of "transferrable records of personal experience holding marketable value".
Kinda bugged me that was taken out for being risque. :D
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

I thought DC not Dark Horse was releasing TenTen.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

That's right. But I was just extrapolating an example of a major american comic book company doing manga. Nothing is certain, definitely.
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

Hmmm, Darkhorse, the usedthe phrase 'Mad SKILLZ' in their Trigun translation :?
Shinpachi
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Shinpachi »

I wish it was Dark Horse, then I could just drive 15 minutes to go bitch at them in person.
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

Yeah, ans ask them why they started translating the Trigun manga at volume 4, when they put 1 on the cover :?
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

Because it's not Trigun vol. 4, it's Trigun Maximum vol. 1. 8)
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

Well, then why didn't they do volume 1-3 :shock:
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

They already did.

The first 3 volumes of Trigun were published by Shonen Captain, while Trigun Maximum were published in Young King Ours and these two are separate properties, owned by two different publishers.

Dark Horse is releasing both.
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

Hmmm, when I asked about a trigun manga, they only knew about maximum, so what's the subtitle of the first series ?
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

Just "Trigun"
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

Hmmm thanks, must go and yell at an ignorant shopkeepr now :twisted:
dumbo63
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by dumbo63 »

Wow Nagi looks for different now from when he first did.
zip
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by zip »

"yo dudes"

lol that sounded so funny. Yeah i also whish Dark horse would do it becasue they released Battle royale in all it's glory so i dont see why they wouldnt release this.