Selling off my manga collection

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Selling off my manga collection

Post by FuguTabetai »

Hey all,

so I'm going to be moving out of my place in a few months, and I need to get rid of crap (or move it.) Since I don't want to have stuff to move, I'm getting rid of my manga collection.

I have about a week to decide if I should put my stuff up on ebay (Tenjo Tenge volume 1-11, Great Teacher Onidzuka 1-25, other random junk) or just haul it all down to Book-Off and get maybe 50 cents a volume.

Does anyone have any advice? Book-Off sounds like it will win, because it is only a short subway ride away, and I can get rid of everything at once, don't have to ship stuff, or worry about setting up auctions.

If there are some people interested in getting a Japanese (all of this stuff is Japanese) complete TJTG set though, drop me a line.
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

I might be interested if it doesn't cost too much, since the shipping for 11 volumes alone will be outrageous enough :/
moyism
Senpai
Senpai

Post by moyism »

yea, what random mangas you gonna junk?
kinvu
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by kinvu »

I'll take volume 10 and 11 of TT if possible. If you give me a good price I might buy all GTo and if other random stuff is cool i'll take it too.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

I'm really just interested in getting rid of the stuff. So I think I'll just take it all down to Book-Off. Otherwise I'll end up tracking who wants what, and I just don't have time for that. Thanks anyway though. I'm not sure what the random stuff is - probably 4-5 volumes of GetBackers (early stuff) some Capcom related stuff, and just other really random stuff. I'll let you all know how much I get from Book-Off. I'm anticipating around $10-$15 for 30 or volumes.
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

Meh, I was hoping I could get the colour inserts, but if you wann sell them it's your choice :)
kinvu
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by kinvu »

please sell me volume 10-11?
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

kinvu wrote:please sell me volume 10-11?
Nah, it looks like nobody is interested in the whole sheband, so I'm just going to hop a subway down to book-off and get rid of all this stuff at once. I was interested in precisely trying to avoid splitting stuff up and making lots of little shipments, and it doesn't look like anyone is interested in vols 1-11. Sorry.
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

So the art inserts is a no-go too ? :(
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Banorac wrote:So the art inserts is a no-go too ? :(
Ripping individual pages out is even more annoying than breaking up multiple volumes.

You should be able to find really high quality scans of all the color inserts - I know they exists because I made them for each one. I think I usually included a high quality scan of the insert along with the re-sized ones that I translated on.
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

Yeah, but that would involve me printing them out, thus buying a high quality printer, paper and LOTS of ink... :?
kinvu
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by kinvu »

i'll grab 1-11 then if thats cool.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

kinvu wrote:i'll grab 1-11 then if thats cool.
Sorry, I'm just going to see all my stuff off at Book-Off. It's just easier that way. I wanted to see if there was much demand for a (semi) complete set. Since it doesn't look like there is much, and it would be a pain to pack stuff up and ship it, I'm just going to sell it all at once. Sorry for the red herring!
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

A red fish ? :?
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

So for those of you keeping score at home. Funny thing, when I went to gather up all the stuff I wanted to sell, I couldn't find my TJTG collection. I vaugely remember selling it off a few months back. I'm losing my mind. Anyway, I sold off

maybe about 40 volumes of manga, only GTO 1-25 (complete) and Vulgar Ghost Daydream 1-6 were probably interesting, and the complete GTO Drama starring Sorimachi (really good, worth checking out) on VHS. A really heavy haul, carried to book-off in a blizzard. Anyway, netted $60, of which $20 went into a metrocard to get my cold butt back home, and another $20 went towards the asparagus / salmon dinner I cooked up for my gf and myself tonight.
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

Yeah, I remembered that too, thought you had the series double :D