chapter 80

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

Rev
Kouhai
Kouhai

chapter 80

Post by Rev »

it's out in UltraJump . hopefully we can get a good fight out of this or something to bring us into the tournament.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

Ah, it's so good to get a chapter each month. I was a bit peeved with this Fall's schedule. 8)

Anyway, here's the preview!

Looks like we finally get to see that last member of F. As you must know, Wani family specializes in naval tactics. 8)
moyism
Senpai
Senpai

Post by moyism »

is that aya? can't really tell.... :(
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

I don't think so, since this girl is holding a naginata and a short katana (not even close to Reiki), and her face looks different.

It might be her for some weird reason, but I think this is a Wani girl.
solidis1
Doushi
Doushi

Post by solidis1 »

It is Aya from what I can tell. C'mon just because she's not holding Reiki doesn't mean it's not her. Remember in one of the volume inserts Maya was holding a rifle, when did that happen. I think it's Aya in the pic because her hair is usually always long and billowy like that and has recently been wearing her gi or samurai garb (sorry) or whatever just like that.

Also, if it actually would be the Wani girl then I think Oh Great! would make her look more distinct and not look like one of the main characters.
Unless that is the plan. Could be wrong.
HappyStealer
Doushi
Doushi

Post by HappyStealer »

no its the wani clan chick. its gotta be. Naval control = Wani Clan.
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

http://ultra.shueisha.co.jp/UJ98/closeup/Tenjo.gif

Looks like 'Inue' or 'Shindayue' might also be an honorific, and not a name...
:?

And that looks like Aya to me.
solidis1
Doushi
Doushi

Post by solidis1 »

Thank You. It is AYA
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

Aya with a naginata, dressed like a ninja whore? And on the Yamato-like battleship to boot. Yeah, right. 8)
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

Hmm what's that say "(not?) Aiming at victory ? (put on?) oneself" Glad someone else takes on the translations. It'd take me forever :cry:
Dembol
Doushi
Doushi

Post by Dembol »

MrProphet wrote:Aya with a naginata, dressed like a ninja whore? And on the Yamato-like battleship to boot.
Sweet....
I like it when TJTG chapters come so often (or maybe I just didn't notice how time flies while studying for my exams) and the F80 drawing is awesome :D
Mataza-kun
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Mataza-kun »

As usual, if one finds a torrent or something please share it 8) I've been on the Irc channel but it isn't there yet
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

kk1 wrote:Hmm what's that say "(not?) Aiming at victory ? (put on?) oneself" Glad someone else takes on the translations. It'd take me forever :cry:
"One should not aim for victory, but should just continue struggling on"
basically, you shouldn't worry about the goal of victory; you have to continue to fight the low-level everyday stuff. That's my interpretation anyway, after about 15 seconds pondering it.

I think it is Aya, but it could be someone else.

I think the background is awesome.

I haven't found any chapter 80 raws, but would like to translate the chapter if I do find them. I wish I didn't have to mess with the WinMX translations. I'll see if Leo- can still get me better scans...

As for Inue Shindayuu, it looks like they just added her first name (Noriko) which is annoying for me because they should have given her full name when we first met her, but it does clear up my "eh? That's a strange name" reaction...
jaguar
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by jaguar »

http://point-blank.cc:6969/

Great chapter! Mitsuomi is back, and he fucks people's shit up! No more for spoilers!
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

HOLY CRAP!!!

That was a cool chapter.

All I'm gonna say is, Inue picked a wrong person to piss off. BIG MISTAKE! 8 :twisted:
Dembol
Doushi
Doushi

Post by Dembol »

What a great chapter. Lot's of come backs and they do it with style. Some people who were pissing me off get their ass kicked (You just can't stop Mitsuomi's fist with shouting...I've seen it coming since she poured tea on his head....heh Inue may be able to stop the dragons, but Mit's raw powah crushed her nicely) :twisted: . Aaaargh!! I'd write more but I don't want to spoil anybody's fun.

Couple of last chapters were quite mediocre but this one kicks ass. I can't wait to read it in English.
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

WOW, that chapter is going to make alot of people happy. The only thing bad about it is the setup for the next chapter was so awesome I can't wait for it. (poor Shizura's face, shouldn't it be the other side though?)
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

What I am wondering is... why is Madoka there. Does that mean it's a flashback of before she came to school and Mitsuomi started ralying the troops (Bob, Isuzu, Tagami)?

On the other hand, Inue says something like: "Madoka?! Nande koko ni...", which is like: "Madoka, why are you here..."
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

MrProphet wrote:What I am wondering is... why is Madoka there. Does that mean it's a flashback of before she came to school and Mitsuomi started ralying the troops (Bob, Isuzu, Tagami)?

On the other hand, Inue says something like: "Madoka?! Nande koko ni...", which is like: "Madoka, why are you here..."
Looks like she was trailing Mistuomi, anyway it sets up a kick ass fight for next issue.
Dembol
Doushi
Doushi

Post by Dembol »

Madoka was following Mitsuomi's limo to the place of his meeting with Inue. That would be my guess(based on the first couple of panels). Then she jumps in the middle of their confrontation. Why? I have no idea.
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

Dembol wrote:Madoka was following Mitsuomi's limo to the place of his meeting with Inue. That would be my guess(based on the first couple of panels). Then she jumps in the middle of their confrontation. Why? I have no idea.
Looks like she just landed next to her and then Inue starts controlling her.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

Could be... It makes sense, although I'd like to read the translation first. Lots of information is passed between Inue and Mits. Seems like stuff starts brewing. 8)
Dembol
Doushi
Doushi

Post by Dembol »

kk1 wrote:
Dembol wrote:Madoka was following Mitsuomi's limo to the place of his meeting with Inue. That would be my guess(based on the first couple of panels). Then she jumps in the middle of their confrontation. Why? I have no idea.
Looks like she just landed next to her and then Inue starts controlling her.
Good thinking, but I think that Inue ran into her on the corridor just outside the room where she got her ass whooped while trying to escape from some more beating and then she controlled Madoka into fighting Mits so she can ran away.

Eh....still a month to go before the next chpter :(
I bet there will be some Nagi-Ishiyumi fighting. Since they both got more power (although 'Bowman' can't use his dragon, he seems more powerful....look what he did to that door) it may be a nice confrontation.
EliteF22
Senpai
Senpai

Post by EliteF22 »

Damn, I hate these tension building chapters. One month more. I gotta say though, Shidzuru's pretty hot. Too bad about her face though. Looks like F might be disintegrating, which makes the tournament all that more interesting now. I'm betting that Ishi loses.
TW_J
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by TW_J »

omg i cant believe it my wait is finally over souichirou vs ishyumi round 2 ishiyumi has gotten alot strong just like souichirou has and btw just a question when mitsoumi punched inue wtf was that crap on his hand??
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

TW_J wrote:btw just a question when mitsoumi punched inue wtf was that crap on his hand??
It's calluses and scars from training. Look at the page where is is beating the wall of the waterfall.
Rev
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Rev »

man, Mitsuomi rocks.... masakata can learn a thing or two from this guy. but anyway it looks like one of our questions have been answer which is dragon roar can't control people like Mitsuomi, just other dragon users. or could it be Inue wasn't fast enough to use it since Mitsuomi punch the shit out of her.

Does anyone wonder if nagi did anything with Shidzuru? look like they are working real well together.

Oh yeah I bet nagi will finish the fight with ishyumi within four chapters lol.
all he have to do is open all the new gates he stole and kick his ass.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

I noticed that Masataka's name was used when Mitsuomi got pissed off. 8)

Maybe Mits is looking out for his little brother after all... :roll:
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

A start at a translation

Post by FuguTabetai »

so I've started translating this chapter. I'm really busy now, so I don't expect to get through this anytime soon, but here is my text translation: http://fugu.cs.columbia.edu/tjtg/TJTG_13_Trans.html. Don't mind the chapter numbers, I'm just missing 79 in that XML file. I'll eventually update it.

And, while I'm at it, could someone remind me again which chapters, exactly, volume 12 has? thanks,

fugu
Last edited by FuguTabetai on Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Re: A start at a translation

Post by MrProphet »

FuguTabetai wrote:And, while I'm at it, could someone remind me again which chapters, exactly, volume 12 has? thanks,
Vol. 12 - ch. 70-75

Vol. 13 - ch. 76-81(?)

Also, I think "-dono" is more of an old-fashioned honorific that samurai used to use to address each other, rather than a sign of great respect.
To refuse delivery just because you say it is a commission from Souhaku- sama
I think here she is implying that the list of the Tournament participants is cooked up by Souhaku. Although Mitsuomi's referral to tight schedule still doesn't make sense.
HappyStealer
Doushi
Doushi

Post by HappyStealer »

Whoa nice chapter. Mitsuomi rocks. He's done something I've always wanted any character in tenjoutenge to do. Punch that whore Inue. WOOOHOOO ^^. This chapter made me happy. Ugh that whore inue messed up Shidzuru face. And she was a cutey too. Damn her, she totally deserved that punch. Mess up her face, how does she feel about that. Haha shidzuru is not pantless anymore. Man Ishiyumi and Nagi fight is gonna be a good one. I thought Ishiyumi had his chance to fight nagi and wasn't interested in this fight but seeing as what he did now to the door and guards, it brings new light to Ishiyumi. Lets see if dart boy can back up what he's done and said so far. Is shidzuru protecting nagi from those darts? Shidzuru is gonna end up liking a nagi. I think its foreshadowed. Gah another month of waiting. I can't wait. So sad to see Shidzuru covered face tho. :cry: Oh well tenten rocks. I'm happy.
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

Fugu wrote:
As for Inue Shindayuu, it looks like they just added her first name (Noriko) which is annoying for me because they should have given her full name when we first met her, but it does clear up my "eh? That's a strange name" reaction...
I suspect 新太夫 is an honorific that comes with her post.
Haha shidzuru is not pantless anymore
Damn. :evil:
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

MrProphet wrote:I noticed that Masataka's name was used when Mitsuomi got pissed off. 8)

Maybe Mits is looking out for his little brother after all... :roll:
Sounds like it "Masataka ni wa te o dasu na" - Don't "mess" with Masataka!
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

Rev wrote:man, Mitsuomi rocks.... masakata can learn a thing or two from this guy. but anyway it looks like one of our questions have been answer which is dragon roar can't control people like Mitsuomi, just other dragon users. or could it be Inue wasn't fast enough to use it since Mitsuomi punch the shit out of her.
She was fast enough, unless you have to use their real name and saying "this muscle-idiot" instead of Mitsuomi caused it not to work :wink:

He tells her not to underestimate the "military" whatever that means, or is that a reference to the white feathers, the military branch of the 12 families?
shouki
Doushi
Doushi

Post by shouki »

kk1 wrote:Sounds like it "Masataka ni wa te o dasu na" - Don't "mess" with Masataka!
The closest english equivalent is probably "Don't lay a finger on Masataka!"
shouki
Doushi
Doushi

Post by shouki »

MrProphet wrote:Also, I think "-dono" is more of an old-fashioned honorific that samurai used to use to address each other, rather than a sign of great respect.
Yeah...

-dono is a bit strange. It is used in modern Japan, for example in legal documents, where it is close to "esquire".

In older times it does seem like a slightly archaic version of -san. For example, in Rurouni Kenshin, Kenshin refers to all the women with -dono. I've seen similar usage too. It certainly is common in samurai settings.

It also has a somewhat "respect among equals" angle too - for example, when you have two highish-ranking people from different organisations. Ie -sama would be too formal, or indicate that the other is "above" you, and -san would be too informal...

When you get down to it, -sama isn't that simple to translate/describe either. For example, it's not that uncommon to see people address letters with -sama, even in modern times, even when normally they'd never ever say -sama. And it's also common for shop assistants to say okyaku-sama (Mr/Ms Customer).
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

MrProphet wrote: Also, I think "-dono" is more of an old-fashioned honorific that samurai used to use to address each other, rather than a sign of great respect.
I'm not trying to give Japanese lessons here. Basically, it is an honorific, I haven't seen any situations where it doesn't imply respect. Except for perhaps sarcasm, which this isn't (IMHO.)
MrProphet wrote:
To refuse delivery just because you say it is a commission from Souhaku- sama
I think here she is implying that the list of the Tournament participants is cooked up by Souhaku. Although Mitsuomi's referral to tight schedule still doesn't make sense.
Could be; I haven't read more than what I translated. The list has been commisioned / requisitioned by Souhaku though. I'm curious, and looking forward to translating the next few pages to see what is going on.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Agent_Wax wrote:Fugu wrote:
I suspect 新太夫 is an honorific that comes with her post.
Haha shidzuru is not pantless anymore
Damn. :evil:
I still think it is part of her name. As a title, it makes no sense. "New large/thick/fat husband/man"? That doesn't make any sense to me. As a name, it is as plausible as any other non-normal Japanese name I've seen.

Of course, keep in mind that I am not a native speaker, or even Japanese.

I'm just a fish.
jaguar
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by jaguar »

Interesting, Mitsuomi still has affection for his brother? Maybe he could become a good guy yet?

Ishiyumi's always been buff. Now he doesn't have those pipes to restrict his muscle movements. Now we're seeing just how good he can be with out those pipes.
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

jaguar wrote:Interesting, Mitsuomi still has affection for his brother? Maybe he could become a good guy yet?

Ishiyumi's always been buff. Now he doesn't have those pipes to restrict his muscle movements. Now we're seeing just how good he can be with out those pipes.
Yeah, wow he really was "holding back" in that first fight. Looks like I'm going to be eating my words after calling him "weak" since he lost his dragon gate.
jaguar
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by jaguar »

Wondering, is the waterfall a representation of how Inue's powers hold down or control someone? Or is it a flashback to Mitsuomi's training?
FuguTabetai wrote:so I've started translating this chapter. I'm really busy now, so I don't expect to get through this anytime soon, but here is my text translation: http://fugu.cs.columbia.edu/tjtg/TJTG_13_Trans.html. Don't mind the chapter numbers, I'm just missing 79 in that XML file. I'll eventually update it.
Awesome job so far, man! Mitsuomi does care for his brother after all. Unexpected!
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

Man, is there a new chapter already? Damn it. It almost seems as if the month just flew right by.

Anyway, I got to look into this. If it's got Mitsuomi in it--then yeah, I would definitely want to.
Rev
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Rev »

jaguar wrote:Wondering, is the waterfall a representation of how Inue's powers hold down or control someone? Or is it a flashback to Mitsuomi's training?
FuguTabetai wrote:so I've started translating this chapter. I'm really busy now, so I don't expect to get through this anytime soon, but here is my text translation: http://fugu.cs.columbia.edu/tjtg/TJTG_13_Trans.html. Don't mind the chapter numbers, I'm just missing 79 in that XML file. I'll eventually update it.
Awesome job so far, man! Mitsuomi does care for his brother after all. Unexpected!
It seems that way. but I don't get it, what is she tryin to say about Masakata?

His eyes and personality are just like a sheep, and he would be easy to manipulate ..

meaning she can use him to get control of the Takayanagi wealth or use him as to fight for her?

oh and this surpise me what Mitsuomi said - The first condition of our agreement was supposed to be that he will not be involved in this in any way at all.

I guess he made sure his lil brother wouldn't be harm in anyway. I'm started to like Mitsuomi despite of what he done in the past.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

I think she means that if Mitsuomi is going to misbehave, she will put Masataka in his place, since he has Takayanagi blood as well, and that Masataka would be much easier to control.

It's a bit confusing, but I think that's what she is saying.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

I'm surprised you all think it is confusing. Basically, she tells Mitsuomi the story of how he rose to power, backed by Kago Souhaku Juon, who assmbled "F". Just as when Mitsuomi was young, and easy to manipulate (for a variety of reasons, not having to do with magic or anything) she could use Masataka in the same role.

The whole deal with sheep is that they are docile and do what they are told.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

It's not VERY confusing, it's just that she is telling the story backwards (we learn what she is talking about at the end of her speech), and she is talking in metaphors, so it's a bit confusing.

But I get the picture.

The whole story about the Shepherd Emperor is the metaphor for Mitsuomi. He was just a kid who rose above his position due to his proximity to the REAL emperor (she is implying Souhaku here), so even though he is emperor now, he shouldn't think he deserved it on his own, or else he might get replaced.

Also, as for Madoka's explanation of the Dragon's Roar. What does she mean? That when Inue screams "Do not move, you muscle-bound fool", that is when she is trying to get control of Mitsuomi? And that he simply struck without purpose, meaning that his fist made a punch on its own, without his brain thinking it?

Is that what is implied here? Or something else? Because I don't remember her screaming anything to Nagi...
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

I've never thought that Mitsuomi hated his brother. He no doubt was disappointed Masa didn't side with him, but I doubt he hated him. Whatever he has gone through and despite his actions, Mitsuomi is still gentle at heart...
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

Agent_Wax wrote:I've never thought that Mitsuomi hated his brother. He no doubt was disappointed Masa didn't side with him, but I doubt he hated him. Whatever he has gone through and despite his actions, Mitsuomi is still gentle at heart...
Well Mitsuomi himself has never really done anything "bad" per se (his dad was obviously a maipulative bastard so I wouldn't say overthrowing him was wrong). Before Sohaku and "F" entered the picture I don't know if there really were "good guys" and "bad guys" in this series, and since we really don't know whose using, helping or manipulating who in the whole Mitsuomi, Sohaku alliance you can't really say Mitsuomi being with him makes him bad too.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

Do we really know that F is evil? Apart from Mataza, who was pretty fu**ed up, if you ask me.

Souhaku is pursuing a purpose that he considers noble and just. And I can't say that only because he is technically "in the other camp" that he is evil. Same goes for Mitsuomi. Apart from Mataza, none of the F really did anything really bad. I mean, nothing on the scale of Shin, Ryuuzaki or Fu Chi'en, right? Granted, I hate the fact that Makiko is armless, but she is still damn sexy nontheless, and it's not really Souhaku's fault his kid got out of control. 8)

So, I can't really say that Jyuukenbu is paramountly good, while "F" is extremely evil. Souhaku and Co. are a darn badass bunch of people and I admire their badass-ness a lot. 8)

There are certainly people in TJTG I wouldn't mind having to do without (Inue, Fu, etc.), but none of them really qualifies for the "Evil Overlord" position. 8)
Dembol
Doushi
Doushi

Post by Dembol »

MrProphet wrote:Souhaku is pursuing a purpose that he considers noble and just. And I can't say that only because he is technically "in the other camp" that he is evil.
Hitler also thought he's noble and righteous :P
People IMO are labelled bad (or evil) usually when they're doing something wrong compared to the general moral standards of the majority of population.