Oh CMX, I guess you don't want my money after all

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

Well, it's been only a couple of days since the whole uproar started, perhaps they are just thinking what to do.

Of course, they are going to do jack if they think they are in no danger of losing sales. I am amazed that they didn't think this would happen before, but hey, it's a major case of FUBAR, what do you want? 8)
hhv94
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by hhv94 »

FUBAR? What does that stand for? And i also dont think emailing will do anithyng. I guess we will be able to tell by April if they do anithyng..if not then yah know what their answer will be. I hope they have an un-edited version, but it wont shock me if they care less what the fans think.
co0l
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by co0l »

*shrugs* who knows, you don't know until you try and not like it costs me anything but some of my time.

anywayz, FUBAR = (F)ucked (U)p (B)eyond (A)ll (R)ecognition
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.p ... =fubar&r=f

We'll see what happens. I personally think CMX will try to salvage the situation, but I have no basis for that belief whatsoever. In any case, it doesn't really bother me, since I'll just keep reading in Japanese.

I am curious how the text of their translation turned out, but nobody has really been talking about that.
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

co0l wrote:*shrugs* who knows, you don't know until you try and not like it costs me anything but some of my time.

anywayz, FUBAR = (F)ucked (U)p (B)eyond (A)ll (R)ecognition
I thought it was Fucked Up Beyond Any Repair :?
MetalGravy
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by MetalGravy »

They're pretty much interchangeable from what I've heard.
TeamJyukenbuu
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by TeamJyukenbuu »

They did a good job text translation. Took a bit of freedom in regards to localization. Nagi reads like a punk. Bob, similarly as well. In fact the 6 page preview they had pretty much reads like the first six pages. I didn't get to read all of it since I was too busy looking for censored art but all in all the text translation is ok. No complaints about that in the dc boards.
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

Except 'kill' to 'crush'?
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

Agent_Wax wrote:Except 'kill' to 'crush'?
I thought they changed one of Nagi's lines too.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

I don't think anyone has gone through with my script and the CMX translation. I would be curious to see if anything else changed - the panel I saw with Nagi's "I'm supposed to be the hero" line was changed to something that was stupider I thought.
TeamJyukenbuu
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by TeamJyukenbuu »

Now you say it, I think I remember nagi saying something like "I'm the one whos going to kick your ass!". Now you mention it, the line is pretty significant.
Natsume Maya
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Natsume Maya »

A response from CMX on the issue:

http://forums.animeondvd.com/showflat.p ... o=&fpart=1

Asako Suzuki is director of manga at CMX.
Natsume Danjou Maya.
http://natsumemaya.net/ (new website address)
Pode777
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Pode777 »

First post yay! Anyways I roughly read the link from Natsume and the CMX answer can basically be translated as "Whine all you want, we don't care"
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

I read the discussion as well, with much interest.

I don't agree that CMX is saying "we don't care" - clearly they do care. But that doesn't mean that they have an economic incentive to go out of their way to please fans.

It looks like they are going to a "teen" rating from volume 9 on (which is still too tame IMHO) but at least they are engaging the community in some discussion now.

Personally, I think it is better to have edited Tenjo Tenge in English than none at all, but I'm glad that I can keep up with the Japanese version.
Pode777
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Pode777 »

Well, usually when I see that kind of not very specific answer (especially his 2nd post) I just think of it as some kind of crowd control. "There, there. I told you we care, now can you please be quiet?"

And I don't fall for that "teen" thing, that's just a sales trick, it's not like they are going to edit the contents any differently. I bet alot of people who previously gave up on the CMX version are tempted to give volume 9 a go because of this.

Suspicious by nature, that's me. I certainly hope I'm wrong though.
kidneo66
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by kidneo66 »

You know. It sounds more like an attempt to compete with Del Rey. Ya know on the 25th Air Gear comes out...uncensured. I've given up on CMX but I'm pretty sure Del Rey won't poorly translate, or even edited his works. I'm pretty sure he did it for a reason but I can't speak for a man I've never met so ya know.
Natsume Maya
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Natsume Maya »

kidneo66 wrote:You know. It sounds more like an attempt to compete with Del Rey. Ya know on the 25th Air Gear comes out...uncensured. I've given up on CMX but I'm pretty sure Del Rey won't poorly translate, or even edited his works. I'm pretty sure he did it for a reason but I can't speak for a man I've never met so ya know.
I think the timing of the response is interesting. Asako Suzuki (Asako is a girl's name, BTW) and Jim Chadwick (editor of some volumes of TenTen) were going to attend last week's Anime Expo 2006. I think she posted that message to try and minimise the risk of angry fans turning up at their booth demanding a response.
Natsume Danjou Maya.
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

Natsume Maya wrote:
kidneo66 wrote:You know. It sounds more like an attempt to compete with Del Rey. Ya know on the 25th Air Gear comes out...uncensured. I've given up on CMX but I'm pretty sure Del Rey won't poorly translate, or even edited his works. I'm pretty sure he did it for a reason but I can't speak for a man I've never met so ya know.
I think the timing of the response is interesting. Asako Suzuki (Asako is a girl's name, BTW).

Yeah that was pretty funny, people supposedly familiar with Japanese manga addressing her as a guy :D
kidneo66
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by kidneo66 »

Sorry about that. I don't know my japanese names, for that I apologize. I hope these guys don't go to comic con. cuz it's going to royally suck for them.
Pode777
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Pode777 »

"Oh Great!" actually also can make you confused whether it's a guy or woman. Why not just use the birth name Ito Oogure or is that taboo around here?
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Pode777 wrote:"Oh Great!" actually also can make you confused whether it's a guy or woman. Why not just use the birth name Ito Oogure or is that taboo around here?
That is his pseudonym.
kidneo66
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by kidneo66 »

and quite a funny one if i do say so myself.
Natsume Maya
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Natsume Maya »

Toon Zone report on CMX at the San Diego Comic Con event last week:
http://news.toonzone.net/article.php?ID=11642

In particular:
"In the wake of their announcement that they currently have no plans for an uncut release of Tenjho Tenge, CMX turned out a fairly big crowd at San Diego Comic-Con and the vitriol was evident in the room. However, they came with a tone of amends, mentioning that even if they wanted to do an uncut after the edited version finished, the licence would run out before they could complete it anyway."
Natsume Danjou Maya.
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

Natsume Maya wrote:Toon Zone report on CMX at the San Diego Comic Con event last week:
http://news.toonzone.net/article.php?ID=11642

In particular:
"In the wake of their announcement that they currently have no plans for an uncut release of Tenjho Tenge, CMX turned out a fairly big crowd at San Diego Comic-Con and the vitriol was evident in the room. However, they came with a tone of amends, mentioning that even if they wanted to do an uncut after the edited version finished, the licence would run out before they could complete it anyway."
How long is their licence for? Why would you get a limited licence for on ongoing manga? Sounds like more BS.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

kk1 wrote:How long is their licence for? Why would you get a limited licence for on ongoing manga? Sounds like more BS.
Licenses DO lapse eventually. That's not unusual and more common, actually.

Although, license contracts usually last for several years, it's impossible to say anything in each particular case as contracts differ all the time.
Natsume Maya
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Natsume Maya »

kk1 wrote:How long is their licence for? Why would you get a limited licence for on ongoing manga? Sounds like more BS.
Perhaps the licence is in terms of something like "until 2 years after the manga ends in Japan". Also, perhaps CMX wasn't sure whether TenTen was going to be a good seller for them and so only got a more limited licence (with the intention of extending the licence if the manga sold well).

So I don't think what was said at SDCC is necessarily BS. But I think it does call into question the frankness of the first response - that they may consider doing an uncensored version. If that was said in the knowledge that they wouldn't have the time to actually do it, then IMO it was just a cynical attempt to avoid angry fans at Anime Expo (where the CMX director of manga and the TenTen editor were attending).
Natsume Danjou Maya.
geohound03
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by geohound03 »

Guess what, from volume 9 onwards its teen+ rating. Still not original work, but they have left a bit more uncensored at last.