Character description

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

kujoe wrote:It allows the user to make his or her enemies see illusions--very real-looking illusions. And though that may seem like a lame ability, it still has its uses.
Kabuto implies you can kill someone with it but obviously Mouki is still a novice user of it making it seem lamer than it probably is.
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

Sure it's possible, and maybe the little kid can one day pull off something like that. But as far as I'm concerned, it's still somewhat lame.

An illusion-type ability such as this just doesn't stand up pretty well beside the rest, in my opinion. That is, in terms of appeal.
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

kujoe wrote:Sure it's possible, and maybe the little kid can one day pull off something like that. But as far as I'm concerned, it's still somewhat lame.

An illusion-type ability such as this just doesn't stand up pretty well beside the rest, in my opinion. That is, in terms of appeal.
It's not just illusionary "You can synchronize your "ki" with your opponent's and degrade his physical condition and sometimes even completely control them...and in the end cause their death."
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

So you mean the fact that Mataza was fooled into thinking that he was winning against Nagi and co. wasn't simply illusory or even deceitful in anyway?

Still, it doesn't change my opinion on it either way. Even if it has other things going for it, its illusionary nature doesn't appeal to me that much.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

kujoe wrote:So you mean the fact that Mataza was fooled into thinking that he was winning against Nagi and co. wasn't simply illusory or even deceitful in anyway?

Still, it doesn't change my opinion on it either way. Even if it has other things going for it, its illusionary nature doesn't appeal to me that much.
It is only a branch family power, after all.
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

Well, that could be a reason.

I guess it just doesn't seem to me as "hands on" as the others--or at least, even looks as such. Then again, the Enma kid isn't a fighter type to begin with anyway.
Natsume Maya
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Natsume Maya »

FuguTabetai wrote:Thanks for all the great help. I've updated the Volume 1 Characters page, and will slowly get around to updating the other volumes (up next: Volume 2.)

Please check out http://tjtg.mangatranslation.com/charac ... cters.html and see if the information is correct.
For the Aya entry, the Natsume Ryu Konjutsu Kojiri Gaeshi technique is not used until volume 3, and Sugano's estimate of her three sizes doesn't appear until volume 9.

Also, if you wanted to refer to any of CMX's translations, what I called "Natsume Ryu Ki Moulding Technique Twenty-three" (Natsume Ryu Kouki Renhou Nijusan), CMX translated as "Natsume School Ki Manipulation Method No. 23".

As to Masataka's techniques: I'd translate the technique Hakka Soudoujou as "Eight Triagrams Double Palm Thrust". CMX translates it as "Eight Way Fracas Blast".

And I'd translate the technique Shinirikugou Bateihouken as "Heart Mind Six Harmonies, Horse Hoof Smashing Fist". CMX translates it as "Cosmic Thundering, Horse Hoof".

BTW, note that Oh! great refers to a number of Chinese martial arts techniques:

- Maya's techniques "Natsume Ryu Kongou Hasshiki Taizan Hou Gou" and "Natsume Ryu Kongou Hasshiki Renkan Tenpen Tetsu Ka Geki" both refer to "Kongou Hasshiki" (Indestructible Eight Forms). This is presumably a reference to the eight basic techniques of the Chinese martial art "Ba ji quan" (Fist of Eight Extremes), known in Japan as "Hakkyoku-ken". The eight basic techniques of Hakkyoku-ken are known as the Kongou Hasshiki.

- The technique "Ryuukei Kikou Tan Shin Kou" is a form of Qi-gong (kikou).

- Masataka's technique "Hakka soudoujou" refers to "Hakka" (eight triagrams). Given that Masataka practices Chinese kenpo, this is presumably a reference to the Chinese martial art "Ba gua zhang" (Palm of Eight Triagrams), known in Japan as "Hakkeshou" - a fighting style which uses the open palm instead of the clenched fist.

- Masataka's technique "Shinirikugou bateihouken" refers to "Shinirikugou" (Heart Mind Six Harmonies). Presumably a reference to the Chinese martial art "Xin yi liu he quan" (Fist of Heart Mind Six Harmonies), which I guess would be called "Shinirikugou-ken" in Japanese. "Houken" (smashing fist) would be the Japanese pronounciation of the Chinese technique "beng quan".
Natsume Danjou Maya.
http://natsumemaya.net/ (new website address)
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

Just to note: the kanji used by Oh! Great to write 'Shinirikugou' is different from that of the actual chinese style. Other than that, I agree with Maya's analysis.

And Isuzu: I think Isuzu Emi is a ninja / kunoichi.
Natsume Maya
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Natsume Maya »

Natsume Danjou Maya.
http://natsumemaya.net/ (new website address)