Eight Spears a real style?

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

Shinpachi
Tamashii
Tamashii

Eight Spears a real style?

Post by Shinpachi »

So I saw Kung Fu Hustle last night, and something that stood out was that one character used a style called something like "The Octogon Spear ...", and I figured that they probably took a liberty with the subtitles and originally it may have been literally Eight Spears. So then I thought "Hmm, there were eight spears of the tsumuji house, and that mataza guy himself actually used eight spears". Does anyone know? Was this another bit of real kung fu based goodness put in by Oh Great!, or is it just coincidence?

Btw, Kung Fu Hustle was AWESOME!!! I recommend to everyone that loves over-the-top fighting (and assuming you all read Tenjho Tenge I can guess) to go see it.
EliteF22
Senpai
Senpai

Post by EliteF22 »

I couldn't find much on this. There is an eight trigram palm style from China. They use of weapons in addition to just hands and feet. http://www.usadojo.com/martial-arts-sty ... azhang.htm
Asunder
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Asunder »

Speaking of Kung Fu Hustle, it seemed as though that one assassin guy fought as though he had those "Dragon Claws" that Mataza had.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

He, he, I wouldn't mind seeing Souhaku get some Buddhist Palm treamtent. 8)
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

Not that I know of. Spear-fighting (not to mention other weapons) tend to be subsets within a kung fu style, rarely styles themselves. These names are usually chosen because they sound auspicious.
Ryugan
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Ryugan »

In tt, 8 spears is not a style. It is a group of 8 warriors under the tsumiji family, each specializing in a different type of polearm/spear weapon. All the weapons are, btw, chinese and not jap in origin. At best they are modified chinese weapons. There is no 8 spears style in chinese or japanese martial arts. There are only several hundred oriental martial arts that tech one how to use ONE specific type of spear. Mataza used 8 spears because firstly, he NEVER finished learning the art of tsumiji spear fighting and so would not be exceptionally good with only 1, and secondly, he had eight machine hands. This allowed him to thrust all 8 at high speeds without requiring ANY skill whatsoever, depending on the quantity to overwhelm his opponents.

The staff in kung fu hustle refers to a type of polearm whereby the shaft is shaped like an octagon, most likely a unique weapon customised for a particular martial art. Such customisation was common in china in order to develop polearms and spears that specialized in different fields like thrusting, eviscerating or defence. Nothing to do with the number of spears. The guy used regualr spears most likely 'cause he wuz keeping a low profile and a octagon spear would give him away. The ridiculous martial art where he uses several spears simultaneously is not related to any existing martial art.

The claw technique was by far vastly weaker than dragon's claw and is based on chinese martial arts that use clawed hands for fighting. Anyway, most of these styles are named for birds, not dragons.
天 ã￾®ä¸‹ 天 ã￾®ä¸Š , 唯 一 人 我 ã￾‚ ã‚Š, 一 人 ã￾® ã￾¿ å°Š ã￾—
Halon
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Halon »

yes, i dont think kung fu hustle have any relations with tenjou tenge, maybe the styles have similar names but thats about it, i saw kung fu hustle, theiy way of fighting is definitely different.