Jake Tarbox Resigns From CMX

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Jake Tarbox Resigns From CMX

Post by Agent_Wax »

Article:

http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthr ... adid=33561

TT specifically mentioned.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

Seems like Tarbox was the fall guy for the whole editing fiasco.

However, unedited manga from now on is far from certain. Did they learn from the whole affair? They did something, but perhaps not what we expect, if they axe Tarbox, and not the person responsible for the edits.

Oh well, we shall see.
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

Well, it neither confirms nor deny that he was forced to resign, or whether he just quit because he was sick of taking the fanboys' blame, or for whatever reason. It's all pretty speculative. But he's apparently still doing occasional freelance work for them. Make of that what you will.
Jakkaru
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Jakkaru »

poor bastard :lol:
"My fist is the divine breath! Blossom, O fallen seed, and reveal thy hidden power! Grant unto thee the power of the glorious Mother of Destruction!!"
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

As one of the posters in Newsarama have said, the whole thing smells like damage control.

And it smells really bad.

It doesn't even seem as if CMX is truly responding to the negative criticism that has been hurled at them.
geohound03
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by geohound03 »

I don't think they care really. I hope they don't edit vol2 quite as much and maybe bring some swearing back. Souichiro just ain't right without his cussing.
Dembol
Doushi
Doushi

Post by Dembol »

http://www.comicsreporter.com/index.php ... _from_cmx/

Some more thoughts on the Jake Tarbox case.
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

Wait... the rape romp Tenjho Tenge?

Am I missing something here?

The writer is entitled to his opinion, and sure the manga is filled with classic Oh! Great imagery (if you know what I mean) but still...

Oh well.
Dembol
Doushi
Doushi

Post by Dembol »

As somebody on the ANN site posted either the author is ignorant and only noticed sex and violence in TT (well it happens a lot when people read only the first volume and after seeing nudity, rape scene and people beating crap out of each other they get it all wrong - I got a really hard time explaining some of my fellow Polish manga fans that TJTG is not only about boobs) or he somehow refers to the rape scene.
Shinpachi
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Shinpachi »

...It's a blog, nobody should care what he thinks.

I agree with some of you, it sounds like DC's trying to do damage control without the real culprit taking responsibility. I still don't know what they were thinking, the first Mataza scene alone should've told them "This is uneditable"
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

In case anyone still cares, the cover to CMX TT 3:

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/ ... enjho3.htm

Uhh... :?
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

Agent_Wax wrote:In case anyone still cares, the cover to CMX TT 3:

http://www.comicscontinuum.com/stories/ ... enjho3.htm

Uhh... :?
:roll: c'mon are they serious? that's just sad
EliteF22
Senpai
Senpai

Post by EliteF22 »

That is really sad. I can pretty much guess what else is going to change. Bra and panties on Isuzu in the bathroom and bra added to Maya under that jacket. I wonder what Bunshichi's lines about Maya and Aya's boobs are going to be changed to. Masa's zipper "accident" is going to be cropped and I don't think Kagurazaka is going to be handled properly. I don't expect any of the gay name calling to get past the editors *cough* censors.
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

Yeah? How about Masataka's "fuck Bush" jacket? Or even worse, Mana's scenes with Mitsuomi or the stuff Makiko went through?

I would've hoped by now that DC would realize that this isn't simply about editing out implicit or explicit sexual content. Not to mention, that it would look strange when the violence ends up still intact.

I mean, try censoring all the swear words in Pulp Fiction for example. Yeah, it's a movie and not manga, but I'm sure you guys know what I mean. They were also meant to be shown in a certain way.

And man, there goes that cover...
geohound03
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by geohound03 »

Yeh, I know what you mean. I was discussing this with a friend of mine whom does not read manga and the first thing he said was 'that is stupid, they have all that stuff in movies and they don't censor it'. To use the excuse 'we don't want to be hounded by the morality parents' etc which I'm well aware they haven't outright said, is stupid. If all these things are already seen elsewhere, why are they editing it out? The simple answer is DC thought they could grab more money by editing down to a lower age group. It really is sad.

Oh and another thing, the cover volume 2 is simarly bad. They placed the title right across Maya's chest -- pathetic.
EliteF22
Senpai
Senpai

Post by EliteF22 »

Anyone have a link to volume 2 cover? Title across her chest. Come on, most female super heroe costumes show more than that. And Kujoe the reason I didn't mention any of the ones you brought up, is because I was trying to just cover what was in volume 3.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

It's coming out tomorrow, by the way. May 18.

I am not even going to comment on this crap...
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

MrProphet wrote:It's coming out tomorrow, by the way. May 18.

Bwahahahaha
Shinpachi
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Shinpachi »

Oooooh, the covers are hinting that they may release it unedited later on. Just think about it, now there are little kids who think the covers must show boobies and whatnot, because of what the logo is covering. So when they do release it unedited, they'll not only have us buying it, but the little hormonal kids too! At least I think that could be their plan, but it's probably more likely they're being complete idiots...

Has Oh Great! made any comments about the edits?
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

EliteF22 wrote:Anyone have a link to volume 2 cover? Title across her chest. Come on, most female super heroe costumes show more than that. And Kujoe the reason I didn't mention any of the ones you brought up, is because I was trying to just cover what was in volume 3.
Pardon for replying a bit harshly. It's just sort of disappointing after Jake Tarbox's resignation and all, hence that little rant.

As for that cover--well, sure they covered up Maya's chest area. But personally, the fact that the layout places the title near the middle of the cover makes it worse. It's become more obvious now--especially with huge lettering as that.

Wait 'till they get to the Enma arc. Blood, violence and bondage tools.
Dembol
Doushi
Doushi

Post by Dembol »

THE COVER

I guess cleavage makes you go insane or at least grab a gun, go out and rape/kill some innocents. If they're going to censor it that much then 90% of the TV stuff should be also censored. Dumbasses.

Now the only thing that interests me in US release is how are they going to handle the stuff in later volumes without making the plot go to hell. I want to see the terror on the editor's face when he/she sees later volumes. The violence really starts to kick in during the past arc and in the last couple chapters we constanly see some nudity. Eat this CMX!! :twisted:
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

Dembol wrote:

THE COVER

I guess cleavage makes you go insane or at least grab a gun, go out and rape/kill some innocents. If they're going to censor it that much then 90% of the TV stuff should be also censored. Dumbasses.

Now the only thing that interests me in US release is how are they going to handle the stuff in later volumes without making the plot go to hell. I want to see the terror on the editor's face when he/she sees later volumes. The violence really starts to kick in during the past arc and in the last couple chapters we constanly see some nudity. Eat this CMX!! :twisted:
Lotsa strategically placed fruit.
hhv94
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by hhv94 »

I dont know about everyone else..but its already been mentioned in Animenation news site and others that CMX will not change their editing at all for the new TT manga. To be honest its sad news but i figured as much considering their actions of choosing a fall guy. I dont see the point in even mentioning the new graphic novel releases if all it will promote is an edited crappy version made by them. I think I'll stick with scanlated chapters myself. No point in spending my money on edited crap.
shinta1868
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by shinta1868 »

I hope it stays on the shelf and little to none buy it that would show them, cause they'll lose millions on it. Not even VIZ and Shonen Jump are that bad. It would have been different if they at least compromised and edited a little less. The one I feel bad for is Oh Great cause he's loosing money too cause DC/CMX are idiots.