Hakkyo-ken / Baji Quan

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Hakkyo-ken / Baji Quan

Post by Agent_Wax »

E3 saw the premier of XBOX360 & the Dead Or Alive 4 trailer. In the trailer, you get to see uber cutie Kokoro practicing Hakkyo-ken. For this and other HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!! moments, go to

http://gametrailers.com/player.php?id=5866&type=wmv

and download the trailer. I recommend Quicktime.
Shinpachi
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Shinpachi »

So Lisa's a luchadora, that was unexpected. Most people I'd heard thought she'd be capoiera (sp?). Which one's Kokoro? The first or the second one? I'm guessing the first since the second looked like some sort of tai chi style (or so I'd think from the sword form), though that Hakkyo-ken doesn't look much more impressive, and I gotta say I don't think she's as cute as Hitomi's new outfit it displayed with the loose socks <drool>
Hariel0079
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Hariel0079 »

Yea, I saw on IGN with my insider.

I like the opening in DOA:4 a lot.

I enjoy playing DOA all the time, I'm just hoping Itagaki is going rehaul the fighting engine like he said.
Hariel0079
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Hariel0079 »

Shinpachi wrote:So Lisa's a luchadora, that was unexpected. Most people I'd heard thought she'd be capoiera (sp?). Which one's Kokoro? The first or the second one? I'm guessing the first since the second looked like some sort of tai chi style (or so I'd think from the sword form), though that Hakkyo-ken doesn't look much more impressive, and I gotta say I don't think she's as cute as Hitomi's new outfit it displayed with the loose socks <drool>

Actually it is Capoiera (sp?)
hitori
Bushi
Bushi

Post by hitori »

Wow, this is amazing...
I was especially impressed with the flowing effects shown in the kimono scene and the sword dance scene.
The cloths are actually moving independently!
Very nice.
I am looking forward to the next gen consoles. :D
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

Yeah, I'm also excited about the next-gen consoles too.

But it also sucks that I'm not a kid anymore, since I don't have as much free time as I used to.
hitori
Bushi
Bushi

Post by hitori »

kujoe wrote:Yeah, I'm also excited about the next-gen consoles too.

But it also sucks that I'm not a kid anymore, since I don't have as much free time as I used to.
What you've lost in free time, you've exchanged for more expendable income.
At least that's what's what I say to try uplift my depressed and overstressed self. :o
I remember when I was in highschool, I didn't have money to buy a PSX...
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

Isn't 'Expendable income' an oxymoron?
So Lisa's a luchadora, that was unexpected. Most people I'd heard thought she'd be capoiera (sp?). Which one's Kokoro? The first or the second one? I'm guessing the first since the second looked like some sort of tai chi style (or so I'd think from the sword form), though that Hakkyo-ken doesn't look much more impressive, and I gotta say I don't think she's as cute as Hitomi's new outfit it displayed with the loose socks <drool>
The blond boy uses Keii Ken. I don't know what that is. But I liked the monkeys... :) And Jann Lee irritates the hell out of me, so I enjoy watching him get a beatdown.

I like Hitomi and her balanced style. I play her a lot in DOA3. Uh. That sounded dirty. Never mind. But I don't think she's as cute as Kokoro.

And Lisa supposedly uses a fusion of Capoeira and wrestling moves.
Hariel0079
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Hariel0079 »

I use Ein, I personally think he's better out of the two. (though it's Hayate with amnesia)

Ein/Hayate, Ayane, Kasumi, Ryu, Lei-Fang, and Tina

E3 saw the premier of XBOX360 & the Dead Or Alive 4 trailer. In the trailer, you get to see uber cutie Kokoro practicing Hakkyo-ken. For this and other HOLY MOTHER OF GOD!! moments, go to
Hakkyo-Ken, doesn't seem like it to me, I know Akira Yuki in Virtua Fighter uses that style
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

I never figured out how to unlock Ein for DOA3, but he's my default in DOA2.

Keii Ken is Hsing Yi Quan.
Shinpachi
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Shinpachi »

Oh, I just assumed luchadore style from the wrastling ring appearence against Bass, and from the throw that I know from my many years of watching WWF and some WCW was definitely a luchadore move, though I have forgotten the name of it now. I admittadly don't know the history of luchadore nor capoiera, so I don't know if one stems from the other, but don't DOA characters have 1 definitive style each?

The blond was a guy?! He sounded just like a girl though! Damn the Japanese and their insistence on females voicing males!

I prefer Hitomi to Ein, her moves seem to combo together better for me (I'm basically a novice with no patience to memorize any combo beyond 3 hits), even though I have a difficult time focusing with her.
Hariel0079
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Hariel0079 »

Agent_Wax wrote:I never figured out how to unlock Ein for DOA3, but he's my default in DOA2.

Keii Ken is Hsing Yi Quan.
To get Ein in DOA:3 all you have to do is play Hayate in Survival mode and when you lose and have to enter your name just type in EIN
but don't DOA characters have 1 definitive style each?
Yes, they do, but many don't think so. for instance the four Ninja's in the game most likely you'll hear someone say that they have all the same moves which is very ignorant on their part being that when you play with either of them the difference is visible.
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

Erm ... I don't see what the fuss is about, apart from the water it looked like DOA2 with differently dressed characters, performing the same moves, is this really what little the new Xbox has to offer ? :roll:
hitori
Bushi
Bushi

Post by hitori »

Banorac wrote:...is this really what little the new Xbox has to offer ? :roll:
Unfortunately yes.
So far all the new consoles have been able to demonstrate is that they can do prettier graphics much faster.
We'll just have to see what happens...
Hariel0079
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Hariel0079 »

In the Xbox 360's case, the games that were being shown were running off their Alpha dev kit's and DOA:4 was being shown at 15% power. 360 isn't even finished yet so it'll look much better on the final industrial model.
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

hitori wrote:
Banorac wrote:...is this really what little the new Xbox has to offer ? :roll:
Unfortunately yes.
So far all the new consoles have been able to demonstrate is that they can do prettier graphics much faster.
We'll just have to see what happens...
Compared to the Killzone in game graphics on the PS3 this DOA movie falls into oblivion :)

But still, besides the graphics, I still don't get the fuss :)
Hariel0079
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Hariel0079 »

That Killzone 2 trailer was pure pre-rendered.

No trailer or game for that matter can look that good in freakin a 2 month period.
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

Do you really think that Sony wouldn't provide at least some game developers acces to their next gen machine so they'd have launch titles ?

In *many* cases developers work on more than one title simultanously, who'd have known :lol:

Don't be daft ;)
Hariel0079
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Hariel0079 »

Banorac wrote:Do you really think that Sony wouldn't provide at least some game developers acces to their next gen machine so they'd have launch titles ?

In *many* cases developers work on more than one title simultanously, who'd have known :lol:

Don't be daft ;)

You truly believe that trailer, that is very sad, I officially lost all hope for humanity
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

1) They claim it was real-time.

2) PS3 teams has released devkits to game developers some time ago.

Trust me, releasing development data AFTER you release a console makes no sense. Who's gonna buy a console that has no games for it?
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

MrProphet wrote: Trust me, releasing development data AFTER you release a console makes no sense. Who's gonna buy a console that has no games for it?
My words *exactly*

Sorry Hariel, you'ren ot daft, just thick :D
Hariel0079
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Hariel0079 »

MrProphet wrote:1) They claim it was real-time.

2) PS3 teams has released devkits to game developers some time ago.

Trust me, releasing development data AFTER you release a console makes no sense. Who's gonna buy a console that has no games for it?
1) It was a Sony Ceo not the people who made Killzone. Being that the purpose behind tech demo's is to show what that paticular system is POSSIBLE what it's capable of doing and also to get you to buy their product and make MONEY of course by all means they would say what people want to hear.

2) who said anything about not being games?? I said that Xbox had only their alpha kit's (which means the 360 was incomplete at the showing at E3) also it was found out that Sony was showing their Alpha kit's as well so with that said products incomplete showing a supposed In-game footage like that is highly doubtable.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

Okay...

Sony IS the maker of Killzone!

XBox 360 clearly sucks in terms of what it will be able to do compared to Sony's system. It has barely half of PS3's horsepower, the games they have are either meh, or multi-system, it's not fully backwards compatible.

That's not say that it will suck per se. It'll definitely capture a lot of the original next-gen console market, if only with the fact that it will be out first, and it will probably be cheaper. But head-on PS3 just destroys 360. Come on! MGS4, FFXII, UT2007, Gran Turismo 5, Tekken 6, Cell processor, the new nVidia GPU, Blu-ray...

It's a no brainer! At least, for me...

PS If only the controllers were not so prepostreous!
Hariel0079
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Hariel0079 »

MrProphet wrote:Okay...

XBox 360 clearly sucks in terms of what it will be able to do compared to Sony's system. It has barely half of PS3's horsepower, the games they have are either meh, or multi-system, it's not fully backwards compatible.

That's not say that it will suck per se. It'll definitely capture a lot of the original next-gen console market, if only with the fact that it will be out first, and it will probably be cheaper. But head-on PS3 just destroys 360. Come on! MGS4, FFXII, UT2007, Gran Turismo 5, Tekken 6, Cell processor, the new nVidia GPU, Blu-ray...

It's a no brainer! At least, for me...

PS If only the controllers were not so prepostreous!

I could've sworn Guerilla Games were the makers and sony only published but hey what do I know.

Yes Xbox 360 does suck when it is incomplete, where did you hear it wasn't fully backwards compatible? "Xbox 360 will be backwards compatible with all the top selling Xbox games" that's left to open interpretation.

This is MS here were talking about not no noname company here.

MGS4, FFXII, UT2007, Gran Turismo 5, Tekken 6,
FF:XII whoa hold on a min. and UT:2007!

wow I stop there you said XII on the PS:3. Go back and do more research on that!
Shinpachi
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Shinpachi »

I second that!! FFXII's for PS2 right? And didn't Microsoft get like a moocho big contract with SquareEnix for them to make a kickass RPG for the release or soon after? Or was that someone FROM SquareEnix, I can't remember.
Hariel0079
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Hariel0079 »

Shinpachi wrote:I second that!! FFXII's for PS2 right? And didn't Microsoft get like a moocho big contract with SquareEnix for them to make a kickass RPG for the release or soon after? Or was that someone FROM SquareEnix, I can't remember.

FF:XII is for the PSTwo don't know where the PS:3 came into play. (I'm still pissed at SE for not annoucing Grandia III) Xbox 360 is getting FF:XI as far as I know plus the fact that Sakaguchi and his new company name "Mist Walker" making a JRPG "Blue Dragon" on the 360 says a lot. Xbox 360 is getting a lot of support from JRPG companies.

I'm looking forward to eNCHANT Arms, DMC:4, Virtua Fighter 5, DOA:4, Tekken 6 or Zero (which ever game comes first from Namco) and that's pretty much it as of now.

I'm still waiting on Final Fantasy VII Advent Children to come out, my curiosity for that movie has been at it's peak for a while now.
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

MrProphet wrote:Okay...

Killzone isn't made by Sony, it's made by a Dutch game design thingie :)
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

I am aware. 8)

The point was, and still is: if SCE doesn't know what's going on with its investment, I highly doubt any one of us knows. So, if they tell us that what they've shown us is actual gameplay, well, we shall see, but I have no reason not to trust them so far... 8)
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

MrProphet wrote:I am aware. 8)

The point was, and still is: if SCE doesn't know what's going on with its investment, I highly doubt any one of us knows. So, if they tell us that what they've shown us is actual gameplay, well, we shall see, but I have no reason not to trust them so far... 8)
Hey, I'm the one sharing your point here, remember ? :D
Jakkaru
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Jakkaru »

listen to you guys complain, watch must of you are going to buy both when they come out

I liked the MGS4 movie by the way it was funny, i liked when they made fun of splinter cell
"My fist is the divine breath! Blossom, O fallen seed, and reveal thy hidden power! Grant unto thee the power of the glorious Mother of Destruction!!"
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

Jakkaru wrote:listen to you guys complain, watch must of you are going to buy both when they come out
Ho, ho, ... ho

ho ... ho

Buy both of those things ? What are you, crazy ?

I'd have to sell *both* of my kidneys for that, I'm prolly not going to buy either ...
Hariel0079
Kouhai
Kouhai

Post by Hariel0079 »

That DOA:4 trailer is HOLYNESS!!!!!!!! :shock:

Honestly it's up there with the E3'05 trailer of Advent Children!

All I need now is the E3'05 trailer of Final Fantasy XII
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

"Swallow your food whole, fool! Do you not know that mastication makes you go blind?"
maximilianjenus
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by maximilianjenus »

i still don't understand why some people puts down doa4's gfx, would said people mind telling me how would they be improved while mantaining the same style ?
personally, i prefer to have style in my games, rather than having all fo them with photorealistic characters and what not.
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

So what you're basicaly stating is that it's okay they sell you the same monkey in a different costume over and over ? :)
Shinpachi
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Shinpachi »

Hey hey hey... they've got a bunch of new costumes in this one. Besides that, it's got new characters and some new moves, so it's more like the same monkey with an extra tail.
buemba
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by buemba »

As far as Lisa's style go, I don't see how it's possible to mix Capoeira with wrestling, as Capoeira uses only the fighter's legs to strike and aims to have as little contact as possible with the opponent (Basically, hit him first and hit him hard enough to prevent him from ever standing up), while luchador is a grappler style that aims to imobilize and submit the opponent.

Anyway, go Kokoro! I used to practice Ba-Gua (With a bit of Ba-ji-Quan/Hakkyokuken thrown in for good measure), and it's a very beautiful and effective style. Unlike Capoeira and wrestling, Ba-Gua and Ba-ji-Quan complement each other very well.

And that Killzone 3 trailer sure was sweet (Yes, they're showing Killzone 3 before even releasing Killzone 2 - Which is supposed to be either a PS2 or a PSP game last I heard), but until Sony releases videos of demos being controlled in real-time I won't comment on the PS3's capabilities.

Who remembers the unveiling of the PS2? Movie-like graphics! Huge amounts of polygons! Bezier models! It can render Toy Story 2 in real time! Turns out most weren't true, and what was true didn't factor in things like A.I., colision detection, textures and effects.
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

Shinpachi wrote:Hey hey hey... they've got a bunch of new costumes in this one. Besides that, it's got new characters and some new moves, so it's more like the same monkey with an extra tail.
I still love DOA2 ...

but looks like all the XboX DOA's dun have anything new to offer :)

THe pathetic attempt to a volley ball game beside the point, ...

Guess DOA still builds on the hope of enough adolescent kids with a hardon then :)

@ buemba : the killzon trailer is an ingame rendering, so no video, or so was oficially stated by SONY :)
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

Terrible, terrible news for us DOA fans.

Tecmo has announced a live action film.
http://www.tecmo.co.jp/company/sc0401.htm

Yes, with that absolutely laughable cast.

Should have just made anime instead, Itagaki bakachin.
"Swallow your food whole, fool! Do you not know that mastication makes you go blind?"
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

Devon Aoki! Corey Yuen!!!

(the rest are nobodies)
Hollowshingami
Doushi
Doushi

Post by Hollowshingami »

It seems to be poupular to make movies based off of videogames these days, a doom movie and a halo movie are also being made. I'm sure the DOA movie will be amusing for all the wrong reasons. :wink:
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

I'm sure the DOA movie will be amusing for all the wrong reasons.
Devon Aoki! Corey Yuen!!!

(the rest are nobodies)
Remember Street Fighter?
"Hey, dudes, that Van Damme guy? He's pretty famous right? And he, like knows kungfu or some such shit, right? Wouldn't it be perfect if he were to play Guile?"
:roll:

I just remembered I should translate part of that page:

Kane Kosugi as Ryu (No complaints here)
Devon Aoki as Kasumi (What the fuck?)
Natassia Malthe as Ayane (WHAT THE FUCK?!)
Jaime Pressley as Tina (Oy vey... :roll: )
Sarah Carter as Helena (I can't go on. This is breaking my heart)
Holly Valance as Christie (... :cry: )

My disappointment in Itagaki currently knows no bounds. All that talk about his love and respect for the characters he helped create. And then he licenses them out to make this pile of faeces.

Devon Aoki looks nothing like Kasumi.

And Malthe as Ayane. I can only wonder what kind of mind-altering substances the producers were abusing when they cast her.

The absolute least that they could do is to get an actual busty blonde WWF wrestler (someone who at least has had a modicum of pro-wrestling training) to play Tina, and there are no shortage of those. It can't be the lack of acting skills, because almost none of the other main cast can really act either. The only way they could actually make this abortion any worse is if they cast Tony Jaa as Zack.

Actually, that would still be an improvement.
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

Well, I don't really care, since I never was a fan of DOA, but I just like Corey Yuen...
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

Corey Yuen isn't too bad, though that So Close atrocity makes me think twice before watching anything he had a hand in. But Yuen Wo-Ping can still kick his arse any day of the week.
Banorac
Sensei
Sensei

Post by Banorac »

Well, at least we can say they won't be balancing this movie on Kasumi's breast size :D :D :D

Anyway, how can they even make a DOA movie, it has no story :shock:
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Banorac and Hariel0079: cut it out. Take it elsewhere to insult each other.