Masataka's fighting style

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

Dain
Yuurei
Yuurei

Masataka's fighting style

Post by Dain »

I was curious (and practicing my chinese) so I looked up the chinese characters for Masataka's fighting style and found out that it is called Xin Yi Liu He Quan (aka Xing yi) in Chinese. The characters "xin" and "yi" mean intention and "liu" and "he" mean six harmonies respectively. So altogether, "Intention (or heart + mind) Six Harmonies fist" in Chinese.

Anyway, It is a very fast, very powerful martial art that relies exclusively on the intent, or will, of the individual. It consists of five basic fists based on the five elements, and twelve animal forms. Masataka uses one of the horse forms in his fight against Nagi (although I'm not sure if it is an actual attack in xing yi), and uses the tiger (or panther in this case) form in his fight against Madoka and again against Fu.

I have practiced a bit of Xing yi in my Kung-Fu class (just the first five fists), and it is very hard training even though the postures are relatively simple. The training centers around standing meditation (San ti).

Just thought you guys would be interested.

Oh, and the explaination of the "six harmonies" and the five elements in Xinyi liu he is given by Oh Great in fight70 on the fold out page of Masataka.
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

Sensei probably drew on Hsing Yi as a model, but Masa's style is not the same as the actual one.
"Swallow your food whole, fool! Do you not know that mastication makes you go blind?"
strid3r
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by strid3r »

Wow, interesting information, even if it is only related by name. Thanks for the little background.
Dain
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by Dain »

Oh Great seems to be very knowledgable about Zen, Kendo, Chinese martial arts, Buddhism, and Yoga. It's crazy how many references he has made.