Fight 89

Tenjo Tenge: Where the boys are bad, and the girls are badder.

Moderator: FuguTabetai

laboo3
Yuurei
Yuurei

Post by laboo3 »

FuguTabetai wrote: I've put in translation notes when I am not sure about what I translate. For the most part I think I've done a decent job, but there are still some big question marks in there.

How does my translation compare to the chinese translation, by the way? Whenever I've tried to compare Japanese and Chinese for manga that I've worked on, there have always been surprising differences.
Thank you Fugu for the translation! We really do appreciate it.

In regards to how the Japanese compares to the chinese, there are some major differences...

The part about going to 黄泉 a step ahead is pretty much the same... 黄泉 in Chinese means a type of "beneath ground place where people go after they die"... it's not necessarily hell, but a gathering of souls, i guess.... In the Chinese translation it basically says, "Go to 黄泉, a steap ahead, and wait there... It won't be long before I go there to find you."

On the page where he's holding Maya, there's a lot of discrepancy... In the Chinese translation he says "Sorry, it's a shame that only after it's come to this, that I can hold you tightly... forgive me"

The rest seems pretty much the same...
But you are right, there is quite a big difference. I wonder if the Chinese translators (the real official ones) are given some room for interpretation? But still, what Mits said while holding Maya, is nothing like what the Japanese translation was...

I'm going to take a look at the stuff between Nagi and Inoue next and compare the translations...
shouki
Doushi
Doushi

Post by shouki »

Couple of translation comments:

Page 56
English: the "ki" that your sister has been storing up for two years ... Is all within me
Japanese: ã￾‚ã￾ªã￾Ÿã￾®ã￾Šå§‰ã￾•ã‚“ã￾Œï¼’å¹´ã‚‚ã￾®é–“ç•™ã‚￾ã￾Ÿâ€￾æ°£â€￾ã￾Œâ€¦ã‚￾ã￾šã￾‹ã￾«ç§￾ã￾®ä¸­ã￾«

Doesn't "wazuka" mean "a very small quantity"?

Page 59:
English: ... Please husband can you forgive me
Japanese: …ã￾¡ã‚‡ã￾„ã￾¨ãƒ€ãƒ³ãƒŠå‹˜å¼￾ã￾—ã￾¦ã￾￾ã‚“ã￾ª

In general, "danna" can mean "master". This line is basically by the people carrying their client/patron, and "danna" is how they're addressing him. They basically don't want to hang around in the place.
protocol7
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by protocol7 »

well this chapter is deep.

it seems that souchiro will be getting the powers of all the 12 founding families. The question once again is for what purpose.

Maya and Mitsoumi still love each other even to the point when she is willing to sacrifice herself to save him.would of thought she would have let that die when he killed her brother but like chiaki said seems it is just a lovers quarrel.

well reiki(ghost aya) seems to want to show aya how this wholething came about i think the customer will be mastaka seeing how ghost aya doesn't really like him much and likethe translation said he always asks for her.

i really think that nagi will cut the chains of fate lets face it what kind of main character is he anyway if it isn't him. Mastaka can't use reiki so it must be souichiro.

this chapter is kinda depressing mainly because maya is a vegetable just because mits is a weakling.
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Shouki: you are right on both counts. I've amended my translation with the palaquin bearers. I left the ghost "all within me" thing the same though because as a reader, the impact of " ... a little of it is within me" just does not jive with the strong emphasis placed on "within me" and Aya's reaction. I actually didn't even notice the "wazuka ni" when I read it, I thought it was more couching terms for her apologizing how it got in her or something.

Laboo3, your comments made me realize that Mitsuomi is probably talking metaphorically about the river lethe. That makes a lot of sense actually.
Jakkaru
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by Jakkaru »

Sorry to go off topic but something just accorded to me they did have bras or panties in ancient Japan so how do you think they are going to edit thing like T and A assuming they get to chapter 89 to up.
"My fist is the divine breath! Blossom, O fallen seed, and reveal thy hidden power! Grant unto thee the power of the glorious Mother of Destruction!!"
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

Sorry to go off topic but something just accorded to me they did have bras or panties in ancient Japan so how do you think they are going to edit thing like T and A assuming they get to chapter 89 to up.
Strategically-held, elaborately-decorated fans. Who cares, really?
"Swallow your food whole, fool! Do you not know that mastication makes you go blind?"
MrProphet
Bushi
Bushi

Post by MrProphet »

Cloth-bound...

Nothing special about. An editor will always find a way.
kujoe
Sensei
Sensei

Post by kujoe »

protocol7 wrote:i really think that nagi will cut the chains of fate lets face it what kind of main character is he anyway if it isn't him. Mastaka can't use reiki so it must be souichiro.
Well, hopefully Aya will be part of bigger things as well. Thankfully, we're in the middle of the story where she's become more significant to the story now, whereas before she had to stay in the back seat due to other characters.

Then again, TenTen has this habit of surprising us from time to time. Maybe it won't be Soucihirou, maybe it won't be Aya or maybe the focus would be different than what was assumed.
Agent_Wax wrote:Strategically-held, elaborately-decorated fans. Who cares, really?
Speech balloons?
protocol7
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by protocol7 »

then i remeber oh great saying that there are no supporting characters in tenten.It's pretty much a fact that maya and mits seem to be more of main characters than nagi.

also some characters like tawara are have a heavy cool factor.

tenten is definatly unpredictable very very unpredictable.

guess i'll just have to keep reading while oh great strings me along some more
Agent_Wax
Bushi
Bushi

Post by Agent_Wax »

FuguTabetai wrote:Whew, finally done with that chapter. I really, really hope that Oh! Great does not spend a long time on this past history stuff. I really hate it because it is very hard to translate. He keeps throwing in kobun, poetry, and references to history that I do not know.
But we love reading about them. So thanks, Fugu.
"Swallow your food whole, fool! Do you not know that mastication makes you go blind?"
FuguTabetai
Shifu
Shifu

Post by FuguTabetai »

Thanks for saying nice things. I'm always really impressed with the knowledge that people here have about TenTen and Japanese history. If I hadn't been travelling all over the place I would have read the thread a bit closer and gotten stuff more correct on the first read.
kk1
Bushi
Bushi

Post by kk1 »

FuguTabetai wrote:Thanks for saying nice things. I'm always really impressed with the knowledge that people here have about TenTen and Japanese history. If I hadn't been travelling all over the place I would have read the thread a bit closer and gotten stuff more correct on the first read.
Don't worry Fugu you can make up for it when you translate the new chapter next week :wink:
protocol7
Tamashii
Tamashii

Post by protocol7 »

well just confirmed it shin calls dougen the master of the goaukishi clan fighting division in vol 5 chapter 31 when he greets him after he beats the shit out of his "friends".

would seem that inou is trying to making souchiro the true warrior that the failies are ecended from.

wonder what nagi will look like after his transformation.
Hollowshingami
Doushi
Doushi

Post by Hollowshingami »

We'll probably find out what Nagi does after this little flashback. He doesn't seem to know what Inue is talking about. He seems more confused than anything else. It's possible I guess, since Mitsuomi punched him in the forehead and just left him there. I still think it'd be awesome if Nagi just showed up at the election tournament just like Mitsuomi did two years ago. Providing it still takes place, though.